XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Cold shoulder from XKR owner

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2016, 05:51 PM
Banned
Received 238 Likes on 180 Posts

I've got no idea where this "need" for acknowledgment/acceptance/reciprocation comes from but my God Facebook, MySpace, and many other social media sites have made billions on it and not only perpetuated it but highly encourage it. And yes it is a need for many...

Though I sold my bikes recently I would put a wave out to sport bike riders if they waved back great. I've had a few Jag owners wave and waved back but wouldn't affect my day if they didn't nor would I feel compelled to label them as anything if they didn't shoot one back. This goes right back to that post regarding "what watch do you wear when you drive?" or the post about "Status"... if you feel as though you have to wear, buy or do something in order to feel accepted, respected, or cool you ain't cool no matter what you've spent or got... you've got serious issues and I'd recommend a heavy dose of "man the F up". These are the very same people South Park did a whole episode on where they all got "hurt" because someone didn't friend them on Facebook (yeah I'm not on Facebook). Life is WAY too short to worry about people you don't know, spend it doing things you like with people you care for why get caught up with such minutia???

If you saw me on the street and told me I was an idiot or the coolest guy you've met you'd get the same reaction as neither affects me in the least unless you are someone whom I know and respect. This idea that everyone should be or do something scares me in so many ways and none good. If you wave at me I'll probably wave back unless my hands are on my ladies legs, I may initiate that wave and if it doesn't come back I won't need a therapist.

Q&C - what is that white stuff in your pics?!?!?! It's about 85 here today woo hoo top down weather here-forward

Old 06-03-2016, 05:56 PM
Veteran Member
Received 6,264 Likes on 3,440 Posts

Originally Posted by Leeper
And Harley's have the highest percentage of Chromosexuals
And I thought a Chromosexual was someone who dropped their current browser in favor of Google Chrome because it gave him erotic pleasure whenever he touched his mouse!

The following users liked this post:
ralphwg (06-04-2016)
Old 06-03-2016, 09:44 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,178 Likes on 1,620 Posts

Originally Posted by Stuart S
And I thought a Chromosexual was someone who dropped their current browser in favor of Google Chrome because it gave him erotic pleasure whenever he touched his mouse!
The data vacuuming that Google Chrome enables should give
anyone the creeps.

Old 06-03-2016, 09:47 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,178 Likes on 1,620 Posts

Originally Posted by pdupler
That's what I see with my Corvette. Pass another with chrome bumpers and I get a wave for sure. C3s sometimes, C4 rarely, C5 and up, never. I don't wave first anymore because they just get this puzzled look as if "Am I supposed to know you from somewhere?" The death of the wave has been discussed on the Corvette forums as well. I've actually gotten a few waves from other x300-308 drivers which I never expected at all in a sedan, but I guess its an old car now.
Owners of the newer models are probably too busy texting
or checking out facebook while driving.

Didn't chariot riders salute?

Knights on horseback?

John Wayne?

Last edited by plums; 06-03-2016 at 09:52 PM.
Old 06-03-2016, 11:55 PM
Banned
Received 238 Likes on 180 Posts

Originally Posted by plums
Owners of the newer models are probably too busy texting
or checking out facebook while driving.

Didn't chariot riders salute?

Knights on horseback?

John Wayne?
You may want to double check John Wayne's orientation, I think you'll be in for a surprise

Old 06-04-2016, 04:42 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Aren't cats supposed to be aloof? :-)

tampamark (06-04-2016)
Old 06-04-2016, 10:02 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,382 Likes on 1,609 Posts

Originally Posted by Leeper
I've got no idea where this "need" for acknowledgment/acceptance/reciprocation comes from but my God Facebook, MySpace, and many other social media sites have made billions on it and not only perpetuated it but highly encourage it. And yes it is a need for many...

Q&C - what is that white stuff in your pics?!?!?! It's about 85 here today woo hoo top down weather here-forward
Leeper. Jung and others say, 90% of the decisions humans make is based on acknowledgement/acceptance/reciprocation. It all started when we discovered the loin cloth. From Pyramids, Olympics, to haircut, everything we do is in the name of acceptance- from society, friends, mate, parents, Saint Peter.

I think the stuff we do to impress only ourselves is the most selfish form of self gratification.

I would be afraid to wave to you-there is nothing more awkward than waving to someone with leprosy and they wave back with a nub of a hand.

Old 06-04-2016, 12:32 PM
Veteran Member
Received 633 Likes on 410 Posts

Originally Posted by koko
Aren't cats supposed to be aloof? :-)
There is this! Best answer so far.

Old 06-04-2016, 01:02 PM
Received 163 Likes on 129 Posts

Ever think some people are just weirdly private and don't feel comfortable acknowledging people they don't know? How does that warrant calling other people ******** and giving the finger? It might not register to them that you are attempting to get their attention due to the vehicle they own if they aren't a car person beyond liking the car well enough to purchase one.

Mind you that I'll wave if someone in another Jaguar waves at me, though I don't usually initiate it like I did with previous performance cars I've owned that commanded a younger clientele where it was more common to wave. I have noticed people treat me differently than when I had my GTO and it's usually a snide comment with the complement being rare with it being the opposite with the GTO. It makes me much more guarded when being approached in public where even as a person I don't feel outgoing I enjoyed the positive attention the GTO received. I met a lot of cool car people and learned a lot more about other cars in just passing conversations.

Old 06-04-2016, 06:15 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,208 Likes on 914 Posts

Should the thumbs up and light flash people be included in this discussion? With the top down I get a few thumbs up from other XK and XKR people which I reciprocate.

Old 06-04-2016, 09:53 PM
Veteran Member
Received 5,334 Likes on 3,162 Posts

One thing... personally, with the top down in heavy traffic and stuck at a light with vehicles on both sides, I do get slightly intimidated without the buffer of a roof or closed windows. Plus, since I'm getting OLD, I do reduce the volume of the stereo when stopped as to not annoy those around me. As a punk kid I didn't give even half a hoot who was around.... my stereo had only one volume; cranked.

Oh, Hey!!! STEVE!!?!! Any way to integrate a "Speed Sensitive Volume" for us guys? Lots of cars have those. Think I'll pay TheJagWrangler site a visit and suggest this.

ralphwg (06-05-2016)
Old 06-04-2016, 11:40 PM
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

That's why my other ride is a pickup.....everybody waves at everyone else in 'Pickup Truck Texas' !!!!

Old 06-05-2016, 02:46 AM
Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Cee Jay
One thing... personally, with the top down in heavy traffic and stuck at a light with vehicles on both sides, I do get slightly intimidated without the buffer of a roof or closed windows. Plus, since I'm getting OLD, I do reduce the volume of the stereo when stopped as to not annoy those around me. As a punk kid I didn't give even half a hoot who was around.... my stereo had only one volume; cranked.

Oh, Hey!!! STEVE!!?!! Any way to integrate a "Speed Sensitive Volume" for us guys? Lots of cars have those. Think I'll pay TheJagWrangler site a visit and suggest this.
Ya. I find I do the same thing at lights. Turn the volume down and feel a little intimidated. I think it has a auto volume control in the settings.

Old 06-05-2016, 05:51 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,962 Likes on 1,319 Posts

Originally Posted by rfr66
Ya. I find I do the same thing at lights. Turn the volume down and feel a little intimidated. I think it has a auto volume control in the settings.
I tried out the stereo when I first got the car, to make sure it works, but haven't used it since. I enjoy the exhaust tunes too much. Since adding the XKR back box, the tone is more muscular, so no, I don't feel intimidated while sitting at a light in traffic. And if I'm número uno in my lane, when that light turns green I'm gone.

If I ever saw another X150 while driving mine, I'd wave, but it hasn't happened yet.

Last edited by kj07xk; 06-05-2016 at 05:53 AM.
Old 06-05-2016, 10:35 AM
Veteran Member
Received 5,334 Likes on 3,162 Posts

Originally Posted by rfr66
I found the setting (thanks to an email from Steve) in the Setting Menu.
VEHICLE
SYSTEM
VOLUME.
It's the "AVC", low, medium or high. Mine was on High so there was no change. I've not driven since, but I assume it will work.

Old 06-05-2016, 03:35 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,382 Likes on 1,609 Posts

I'll say what no journalist could write in today's climate. One reason people have become like cold robots is because people are scared to be bullied with labels such as phobe. Katlyn Jenner could be using the urinal next to me and I am not supposed to flinch. Because if I do, they will label you with a dirty label like transphobe. Which btw is worse today than being transgender**. In the old days I would have complimented how good she looked and probably fought the person that tried to pick on her. Today you just keep your head down and keep rolling.

(Incidentally, before some of you cross-dressers get upset with me, I just used that as an example. You can substitute just about any other type of human being in there.)

**Being s phobe a hate crime, at the very least its someone with a very dark heart.

Old 06-05-2016, 05:02 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,103 Likes on 695 Posts

Originally Posted by CaptHank
That's why my other ride is a pickup.....everybody waves at everyone else in 'Pickup Truck Texas' !!!!
I've owned pickup trucks all my adult life and never once has anybody ever waved at me driving the same kind of truck here in the Dallas/Fort Worth area. However, my folks were in rural southeastern Oklahoma, probably similar to East Texas. In the rural areas around there, everybody waved at everybody else going down the farm roads whether a truck, car, tractor, horse, everybody waved. And everybody knew their neighbor too even though the nearest neighbor was a half mile away. Something about the city, the closer people are crammed together, the less they want to interact. I guess even seeing someone driving the same kind of relatively rare car is not enough reason to want to be friendly with someone new.

rfr66 (06-06-2016)
Old 06-05-2016, 05:28 PM
Received 90 Likes on 65 Posts

A general statement. Does it really matter just enjoy the drive

Old 06-05-2016, 06:43 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,838 Likes on 1,232 Posts

Originally Posted by IanXF
A general statement. Does it really matter just enjoy the drive
It doesn't matter as it was a brotherhood thing. In my Corvette days we would always wave to another vette driver. It was a special club and was an unwritten gesture. I see bikers and especially HD crowd waving . I'll flash my lights or wave to other Jag owners but unfortunately there aren't any in my area that I see.

Old 06-06-2016, 06:23 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,201 Likes on 932 Posts

Originally Posted by jagtoes
It doesn't matter as it was a brotherhood thing. In my Corvette days we would always wave to another vette driver. It was a special club and was an unwritten gesture. I see bikers and especially HD crowd waving . I'll flash my lights or wave to other Jag owners but unfortunately there aren't any in my area that I see.
That unwritten rule applies to road cyclists as well. I make an effort to wave to others or say hello to those slow enough to be passed by me. I'll even give most a chance to match the pace and talk. I don't mind slowing down for some riding conversation, just as several faster riders have slowed for me to talk it up a little.

Quick Reply: Cold shoulder from XKR owner