XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Complete list of bizarre electrical gremlins caused by low battery voltage

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2014, 11:08 PM
Veteran Member
Received 483 Likes on 404 Posts

Originally Posted by sharx8
I have also noticed a dimmed screen on startup when the car hasn't been used for over a week. Fortunately I have the benefit of a plug in my garage so I now have a CTEK 3300 plugged in maintaining the battery over the winter. However I was thinking that if your car is stored but does not have access to a plug, could you possibly hook up a CTEK 3300 to a portable battery unit such as the one below... You could pull out the portable battery every few weeks to recharge and then let it feed the CTEK battery tender for two weeks... I'm no electrician is this totally Crazy?!

Eliminator 600A/400W Power Box | Canadian Tire
Interesting idea!

Did using a battery maintainer solve the issue?

The following users liked this post:
MaximA (03-03-2014)
Old 02-06-2014, 05:30 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,126 Likes on 797 Posts

I don't have an outside power outlet - and if I fitted one, I'd probably drive off with the charger still plugged in

That's why I have a solar panel for any period when I'm going to leave the car undriven for a couple of weeks. Of course, most of you Muricans have garages, so that doesn't help you much, but it works even if you don't have direct sunlight.

Old 02-06-2014, 07:09 AM
Veteran Member

Ngarara, is there any possibility of overcharging the battery with such a device?

Old 02-06-2014, 07:26 AM
Veteran Member
Received 443 Likes on 323 Posts

I noticed that my USB stick for playing music was not always recognized. Re-seating/docking it did nit fix the issue most of the time. The USB stick was either recognized at ignition start up or not.
Replaced battery and so far the stick has been always recognized.

amcdonal86 (02-06-2014)
Old 02-06-2014, 08:43 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,126 Likes on 797 Posts

Originally Posted by amcdonal86
Ngarara, is there any possibility of overcharging the battery with such a device?
Well, mine doesn't generate a huge current, as you can imagine - it's a 4.8W panel, so only 0.4A maximum, about what the car's quiescent drain is anyway. And I imagine it only manages that output under ideal conditions, so it's going to be less on average. However, I did ask the question via the manufacturer's website (Ring Automotive), and was told:

The solar battery maintainer can be left connect indefinitely without risk of over charging

amcdonal86 (02-06-2014)
Old 02-06-2014, 04:14 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Schwabe
I noticed that my USB stick for playing music was not always recognized. Re-seating/docking it did nit fix the issue most of the time. The USB stick was either recognized at ignition start up or not.
Replaced battery and so far the stick has been always recognized.
Thanks, I added this to the list. Was this on your 2012 XKR-S?

Old 02-06-2014, 05:54 PM
Veteran Member
Received 443 Likes on 323 Posts

Yes, 6,000 miles in two years was not enough. Battery would not hold a charge but was replaced under warranty.

Old 02-06-2014, 08:06 PM
DGL
Veteran Member
Received 931 Likes on 609 Posts

Originally Posted by sharx8
I have also noticed a dimmed screen on startup when the car hasn't been used for over a week. Fortunately I have the benefit of a plug in my garage so I now have a CTEK 3300 plugged in maintaining the battery over the winter. However I was thinking that if your car is stored but does not have access to a plug, could you possibly hook up a CTEK 3300 to a portable battery unit such as the one below... You could pull out the portable battery every few weeks to recharge and then let it feed the CTEK battery tender for two weeks... I'm no electrician is this totally Crazy?!

Eliminator 600A/400W Power Box | Canadian Tire

That's a great idea for people who store their cars in under ground storage or where there is no access to wired power.

Old 02-06-2014, 08:37 PM
DGL
Veteran Member

My car is parked far away from any power source so I cannot have a battery tender. However, last year I got an AGM battery (I think in February or Aprilm too lazy to look it up). This seemed to help with most of my electrical gremlins. And if I drive the car frequently, I have no electrical gremlins.

Winter seems to bring the worst of the gremlins, and since winter is upon us in the Northern Hemisphere, I thought I'd try to make a list of strange things that can happen with slightly lower than needed battery voltage. This is a compilation of things I have personally experienced, and things that I have read. Feel free to add or correct things:

1. LCD between speedo and tach won't turn on.
2. Touchscreen slow to turn on.
3. Touchscreen stuck on logo screen (leaper)--may not shut off after turning off vehicle.
4. Transmission paddle shifting lazy (no blipping downshifts).
5. LCD screens contrast not adjustable with brightness knob to left of steering wheel--brightness stuck on max.
6. LCD screens seem to go bright and dark rapidly on its own--inconsistent brightness.
7. Seat memory positions not functioning.
8. Power windows intermittently inoperative.
9. Power windows one-touch feature inoperative. (Thanks JeremyB)
10. Warning message: "CHECK PEDESTRIAN SYSTEM"
11. USB media drive not recognized.

Am I missing anything? Does anything seem incorrect?

The electrical and computer network system in the XK is temperamental, probably based on 8 year old design standards. However, it is adequate, but not designed with state of the art components. Has this improved in the F-type? I've had the "R" logo stay on in my sold XKR 175 a few times. A quick restart solved the problem. I'm sure a low battery doesn't help the situation.

We need to maintain and take care of our batteries for the above reasons.

Old 02-06-2014, 09:11 PM
Veteran Member
Received 521 Likes on 374 Posts

Owners of XKs must be aware of the importance of a fully charged battery in order to maintain basic electronics in their cars. If there is no convenient way to keep their batteries in this state, therein lies the conundrum. I purchased my car knowing this issue and am fortunate to have a garage with the CTEK doing it's thing. If I didn't, knowing what I do, I might not have purchased the car. Electrical gremlins are a pain, even though the car is so much fun. I hope you guys can work out these issues and get to enjoy the car.

Last edited by bocatrip; 02-06-2014 at 09:14 PM.
Old 02-06-2014, 09:22 PM
Veteran Member

I just ordered one of these solar battery maintainers. It says it is suitable for AGM batteries, and the reviews are good. Supposedly works well even with indirect sunlight.

NOCO BLSOLAR2 Battery Life Black 2.5W Solar Battery Charger and Maintainer : Amazon.com : Automotive NOCO BLSOLAR2 Battery Life Black 2.5W Solar Battery Charger and Maintainer : Amazon.com : Automotive

I'll let you know how well it works on Monday!

Old 02-07-2014, 07:18 AM
DGL
Veteran Member

I just ordered one of these solar battery maintainers. It says it is suitable for AGM batteries, and the reviews are good. Supposedly works well even with indirect sunlight.

NOCO BLSOLAR2 Battery Life Black 2.5W Solar Battery Charger and Maintainer : Amazon.com : Automotive

I'll let you know how well it works on Monday!

My mother bought a new Toyota Camry a few years ago. She drives about 1,000 miles a year. She always had a problem starting her car (battery always dead). Toyota always said she had to drive it more. I bought her a remote starter when she got the car new which Toyota determined was part of the problem. So we hauled it out and the problem continued. Her battery would go dead after a week. One day I had to jump start her car and fried the fuse box. The fuse box was not fried by connecting the cables improperly because I was very careful and double checked my connections. Toyota again took no responsibility. The fuse box was replaced and the problem was solved. I also had a solar trickle charger installed on the back window directly wired in her Toyota. Toyota said to directly wire it in for better results. She has never had a problem starting her car since and it may stay parked over 4 weeks.

SoCalBabe posted a thread about adding extra heat shrink tubing protection to electrical connectors which is interesting. When I picked my car up from the auto transporter I took the opportunity to inspect the undercarriage to find many electrical wires unprotected from the elements. I'm sure these wires and connectors get a fear share of water exposure which most play havoc with our electrical system. Not only are the unprotected connectors and wires found on the cars undercarriage they are all over it installed in this manner. At least Jaguar could have taken better care of protecting the wiring in precarious areas. When we look at electrical gremlins we most consider the whole electrical design and system of the car. I attached a picture of my undercarriage showing unprotected wires and connectors. The undercarriage shows extensive heat protection from the exhaust tubing but no protection around the electrical connectors and wiring (upper right corner):

Attached Thumbnails Complete list of bizarre electrical gremlins caused by low battery voltage-p1010811.jpg  

Last edited by DGL; 02-07-2014 at 07:57 AM.
richzak (02-07-2014)
Old 02-07-2014, 08:26 AM
Veteran Member
Received 96 Likes on 86 Posts

In my '05 VDP a weak battery triggers just about every fault code imaginable. I have experienced this twice now just driving home from work. The worst of it is that the CATS stops communicating and the suspension stiffens up. The alternator checks out, so i believe a new serpentine belt and tension pulley replacement should fix it all.

Old 02-07-2014, 08:45 AM
Received 136 Likes on 64 Posts

For the list...

My Bluetooth connection will disconnect and I have to reconnect at least a dozen times before it successfully docks.

Old 02-07-2014, 09:37 AM
Veteran Member

Was this solved with a new battery? I believe I have had this issue, too, but never realized it could be battery-related.

Old 02-07-2014, 09:57 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by DGL
My mother bought a new Toyota Camry a few years ago. She drives about 1,000 miles a year. She always had a problem starting her car (battery always dead). Toyota always said she had to drive it more. I bought her a remote starter when she got the car new which Toyota determined was part of the problem. So we hauled it out and the problem continued. Her battery would go dead after a week. One day I had to jump start her car and fried the fuse box. The fuse box was not fried by connecting the cables improperly because I was very careful and double checked my connections. Toyota again took no responsibility. The fuse box was replaced and the problem was solved. I also had a solar trickle charger installed on the back window directly wired in her Toyota. Toyota said to directly wire it in for better results. She has never had a problem starting her car since and it may stay parked over 4 weeks.

SoCalBabe posted a thread about adding extra heat shrink tubing protection to electrical connectors which is interesting. When I picked my car up from the auto transporter I took the opportunity to inspect the undercarriage to find many electrical wires unprotected from the elements. I'm sure these wires and connectors get a fear share of water exposure which most play havoc with our electrical system. Not only are the unprotected connectors and wires found on the cars undercarriage they are all over it installed in this manner. At least Jaguar could have taken better care of protecting the wiring in precarious areas. When we look at electrical gremlins we most consider the whole electrical design and system of the car. I attached a picture of my undercarriage showing unprotected wires and connectors. The undercarriage shows extensive heat protection from the exhaust tubing but no protection around the electrical connectors and wiring (upper right corner):

I too was concerned when seeing those exposed connectors and wires on my undercarriage and would like to get them covered with some shrink tubing protection. Is it difficult to get done?

Old 02-07-2014, 12:35 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by DGL

DGL.......Sorry to get off the topic for a second, but I noticed that you too have rust on your diff and rear half shafts. I was surprised that mine has the same rust with only 5,000 miles. Jaguar must do very little protection on those parts which probably had rust on them when the car was brand new.

Old 02-07-2014, 12:55 PM
DGL
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by bocatrip
DGL.......Sorry to get off the topic for a second, but I noticed that you too have rust on your diff and rear half shafts. I was surprised that mine has the same rust with only 5,000 miles. Jaguar must do very little protection on those parts which probably had rust on them when the car was brand new.

Yes, they must all have this rust. The picture above is when the car only had 300 miles.

Lothar52 (02-09-2014)
Old 02-07-2014, 01:05 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by DGL
Yes, they must all have this rust. The picture above is when the car only had 300 miles.

In a way, I'm somewhat relieved to see it is the norm as I originally thought my car might have been sitting near water. Again, I'd expect it on a GM product but not for a high end car.

Old 02-07-2014, 03:59 PM
Veteran Member

Maybe it's self-weathering steel!

Quick Reply: Complete list of bizarre electrical gremlins caused by low battery voltage