XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Complete list of bizarre electrical gremlins caused by low battery voltage

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2014, 06:08 PM
Veteran Member
Received 593 Likes on 318 Posts

I put a new agm battery in my xkr 2 weees ago, 210 euros after electric problems, cleaned starter lead under left rear bumper, connected with a nut, look and see, remove rubber cover, mine was a green corrosive.
I would say all battery companies are in a state of mourning since jaguar announced the end of the xk , i suppose they'll make handy money for a few years yet with us owners out there.

Old 07-05-2014, 11:29 AM
fma
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Replaced the original 2007 factory battery 2 months ago with an Interstate AGM, and since then not a single issue. It wasn't until I pulled the original battery I saw the date stamp (on the terminal) I even knew it was that old.

The following users liked this post:
DGL (01-30-2021)
Old 07-05-2014, 09:05 PM
Veteran Member
Received 483 Likes on 404 Posts

I have the Interstate AGM. The problems may come back eventually if you don't drive it frequently and/or long enough!

I ordered a CTEK battery charger today, since my solar charger will do no good since I have a car cover for the car now!

Old 07-05-2014, 09:21 PM
Received 44 Likes on 16 Posts

Anyone had their battery replaced under warranty or are these specifically excluded items?

Old 07-06-2014, 10:03 AM
Veteran Member
Received 594 Likes on 422 Posts

Originally Posted by Del Boy
Anyone had their battery replaced under warranty or are these specifically excluded items?
The dealer will replace your battery if found bad. I had mine replaced in my 1-year old XJL because of all the frequent Low Battery warnings. I am about to take the car for its 2-year service and will further complain about the same issue. Might get a new battery again. Needless to say a 1-year old battery should not have to be replaced.

Old 07-12-2014, 11:26 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My touchscreen resets as if I just started the car about 5-10 mins into a drive

Old 07-12-2014, 10:08 PM
Veteran Member
Received 483 Likes on 404 Posts

I finally got a CTEK battery maintainer, but after a few hours of driving (including several engine starts and stops), the lazy transmission issue appeared.

So it seems the lazy transmission issue is not necessarily caused by a weak battery, but it is exacerbated by it.

Very irritating!

Old 07-19-2014, 01:19 AM
Received 44 Likes on 16 Posts

Seems my battery is fine (had it tested this week). But apparently there's a Battery Monitoring System (BMS) that was preventing charging. Maybe because my CTEK had originally been connected directly to the negative battery terminal, bypassing the BMS (see separate thread on CTEK wiring) causing it to lose calibration. The BMS has been reprogrammed and the CTEK is now connected via a grounded bolt, so hopefully my battery problems are a thing of the past.

Old 01-29-2021, 06:51 AM
Received 179 Likes on 106 Posts

Originally Posted by amcdonal86
My car is parked far away from any power source so I cannot have a battery tender. However, last year I got an AGM battery (I think in February or Aprilm too lazy to look it up). This seemed to help with most of my electrical gremlins. And if I drive the car frequently, I have no electrical gremlins.

Winter seems to bring the worst of the gremlins, and since winter is upon us in the Northern Hemisphere, I thought I'd try to make a list of strange things that can happen with slightly lower than needed battery voltage. This is a compilation of things I have personally experienced, and things that I have read. Feel free to add or correct things:

1. LCD between speedo and tach won't turn on.
2. Touchscreen slow to turn on.
3. Touchscreen stuck on logo screen (leaper)--may not shut off after turning off vehicle.
4. Transmission paddle shifting lazy (no blipping downshifts).
5. LCD screens contrast not adjustable with brightness knob to left of steering wheel--brightness stuck on max.
6. LCD screens seem to go bright and dark rapidly on its own--inconsistent brightness.
7. Seat memory positions not functioning.
8. Power windows intermittently inoperative.
9. Power windows one-touch feature inoperative. (Thanks JeremyB)
10. Warning message: "CHECK PEDESTRIAN SYSTEM"
11. USB media drive not recognized.
12. Passenger airbag off warning.
13. Difficulty starting car. Continued cranking over and finally starting, but running rough.
14. Infotainment screen going blank driving down the road.
15. Volume indication appears and blinks for minutes at a time.
16. ABS and Stability lights come on.
17. Power reduced to limp mode.
18. Rear park assist beeping with nothing there.
19. Doors do not dip upon pulling door handle (to facilitate opening of door).

Am I missing anything? Does anything seem incorrect?
I would add CD player not functioning properly - my CD's would only play for a few seconds, and nothing would eject. After 20 minutes of that drive after a long time parked up in the garage suddenly the CD fired into life playing everything and working normally...all the lights started coming on for each CD loaded too.

The following users liked this post:
007XKR (01-29-2021)
Old 05-10-2023, 02:16 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have a similar issue, I thought you had to hold it for a few seconds, but apparently there is a little click. If you listen you can hear it. My driver door does not click and it takes a dozen attempts to get it to learn. Im guessing there is a micro switch that is not operating properly.

Old 05-14-2023, 03:54 PM
Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Ngarara
I don't have an outside power outlet - and if I fitted one, I'd probably drive off with the charger still plugged in

That's why I have a solar panel for any period when I'm going to leave the car undriven for a couple of weeks. Of course, most of you Muricans have garages, so that doesn't help you much, but it works even if you don't have direct sunlight.
Hang the electric cord over the driver's side mirror so it interferes with opening the door. It will help remind you to unhook it.

Old 05-14-2023, 05:22 PM
Received 51 Likes on 20 Posts

Add "convertible top issues"

Old 05-15-2023, 12:01 PM
Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

OK gang, here's the bad news. Investigating vehicle electronics gone wrong is my business. Modern vehicles use LOTS of electronics, all powered by the battery. Don't expect your vehicle to function if you store it undriven for 30 days or more without a battery tender/charger. Trying to start it with low voltage makes everything WORSE. It pulls down the voltage further, sets all manner of Diagnostic Fault Codes, many of which have multiple steps to reset once the battery is properly charged or replaced. If you do store it where there is no power, then drive it for an hour or more AT LEAST once a week to recharge the battery, or take it somewhere you can trickle charge it for 8 - 12 hours. FYI, a battery at 80% of its rated capacity is considered failed. So, don't let it drop and then try to start the vehicle, you'll accelerate the demise of your battery completely. If you have a voltmeter, periodically monitor your battery voltage. If it is dropping below 12.5V static (no loads on), it a sign of its aging and weakness. Parasitic loads in today's vehicles can be as high as 50 milliamps, which will drain an older battery in 30 days or less. Also, most modern Jaguars (and many other vehicles) require a battery management system to be properly reset when a new battery is installed. That may require special procedures and/or a diagnostic scan tool with capability to reset the BMS for your particular vehicle. This is why battery tenders are highly recommended to prevent these problems in modern, electronics-laden vehicles. Good luck!

The following 2 users liked this post by Qwikkitty:
Boga (05-18-2023), sov211 (05-15-2023)
Old 05-15-2023, 04:15 PM
Received 21 Likes on 9 Posts

Not being able to connect your phone to bluetooth.
Having to press the lock button a couple of times because the car thinks the key is in the vehicle.

These are things I've noticed.

Old 05-18-2023, 06:52 AM
guy
Veteran Member
Received 1,103 Likes on 776 Posts

The Workshop manual outlines expected quiescence drain. I go a step further in her storage and do not lock her. This results in the alarm system not activating. She can go 4 months sitting, without issue, without a maintainer.
FWIW.

Old 05-18-2023, 12:47 PM
Received 154 Likes on 96 Posts

power steering issues , why don't know .