XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Concourse de Elegance Amelia Island

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2014, 04:29 PM
Received 44 Likes on 33 Posts
Default Concourse de Elegance Amelia Island

I posted this in another thread but thought it deserved a thread of it's own:
I've just returned home from the Concourse de Elegance at Amelia Island. Jaguar was one of the sponsors and was giving test drives on some of it's cars. There were 4 F-Types, 3 XFR's and 3 XKR verts. Since I'm an XKR owner I was very interested in what kind of attention the XKR'S were getting. Although it appeared Jaguar reps were clearly interested in promoting the F-Type our cars were getting as much if not more of the attention. The XKR was always being test driven with a waiting line.

It was being held at the Ritz Carlton and was packed. I had to park about a 1/4 of mile away. When I was leaving yesterday I noticed a guy who turned out to be 22 making the 1/4 trek to the event. I had to drive back to the entrance to pick up my friend who didn't want to walk that far! So on the way back I pulled over and asked the guy if he wanted a ride. He was on the phone talking to one of his friends and he stopped looked over and his mouth fell open and screamed yes and jumped in the car while still talking on the phone. He said you won't believe this but this dude just asked me if I wanted a ride and he's driving a JAGUAR XKR! I didn't have to tell him what he was driving in. He knew! He gushed the whole way
back to the entrance. And on a side note when I was checking in to my hotel (The Villas at Amelia Island) the valet parked the car, without me asking, in the VIP section next to an Aston Martin and Ferrari California.

Our cars are real head turners no matter what age you are. Unfortunately most people can't afford them until a little later in life.

The following 4 users liked this post by Jffcurt:
amcdonal86 (03-09-2014), MaximA (03-10-2014), Ngarara (03-15-2014), richzak (03-09-2014)
Old 03-09-2014, 04:32 PM
Veteran Member
Received 483 Likes on 404 Posts

Hahaha, great story!!

Usually I get nice comments about the car, but a few weekends ago I got called "******!!!" twice in the same day in the XKR! Must've been the lipstick and wig I was wearing!

Old 03-09-2014, 04:37 PM
Received 44 Likes on 33 Posts

What color was the wig???!!!

Old 03-09-2014, 05:41 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,234 Likes on 789 Posts

Originally Posted by amcdonal86
Hahaha, great story!!

Usually I get nice comments about the car, but a few weekends ago I got called "******!!!" twice in the same day in the XKR! Must've been the lipstick and wig I was wearing!
Maybe the guy fell in love with the car and "wanted" you too.

The following users liked this post:
amcdonal86 (03-09-2014)
Old 03-12-2014, 10:28 AM
Received 38 Likes on 26 Posts

thought it was a package deal!

Old 03-12-2014, 12:21 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,839 Likes on 1,233 Posts

Originally Posted by Jffcurt
I posted this in another thread but thought it deserved a thread of it's own:
I've just returned home from the Concourse de Elegance at Amelia Island. Jaguar was one of the sponsors and was giving test drives on some of it's cars. There were 4 F-Types, 3 XFR's and 3 XKR verts. Since I'm an XKR owner I was very interested in what kind of attention the XKR'S were getting. Although it appeared Jaguar reps were clearly interested in promoting the F-Type our cars were getting as much if not more of the attention. The XKR was always being test driven with a waiting line.

It was being held at the Ritz Carlton and was packed. I had to park about a 1/4 of mile away. When I was leaving yesterday I noticed a guy who turned out to be 22 making the 1/4 trek to the event. I had to drive back to the entrance to pick up my friend who didn't want to walk that far! So on the way back I pulled over and asked the guy if he wanted a ride. He was on the phone talking to one of his friends and he stopped looked over and his mouth fell open and screamed yes and jumped in the car while still talking on the phone. He said you won't believe this but this dude just asked me if I wanted a ride and he's driving a JAGUAR XKR! I didn't have to tell him what he was driving in. He knew! He gushed the whole way
back to the entrance. And on a side note when I was checking in to my hotel (The Villas at Amelia Island) the valet parked the car, without me asking, in the VIP section next to an Aston Martin and Ferrari California.

Our cars are real head turners no matter what age you are. Unfortunately most people can't afford them until a little later in life.
Great place to stay as we took the golf package a few years back and had a great time. We were even moved up to the club level floor due to my many business stays at the RC in Halfmoon Bay. Sounded like a good show.

Old 03-15-2014, 02:35 PM
Veteran Member
Received 483 Likes on 404 Posts

Somebody gave me a compliment at the gas station today. All is back to normal...

Old 03-15-2014, 04:09 PM
Received 98 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by amcdonal86
Hahaha, great story!!

Just curious...was the top down or up and was it racially motivated????
That's so not cool. They are just very jealous and envious I was guess...

Old 03-15-2014, 05:50 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,126 Likes on 797 Posts

I'd just bought the 75, and pulled out of Guy Salmon Jaguar in Coventry to head back to London. I got to the first set of lights, and an Audi with 3 guys in it pulled up alongside. The driver honked the horn & made 'wind down window' motions. Thinking I might be trailing or leaking something, I cracked the passenger window, and one of the guys yelled. "Give it a rev, mate!". So I put it in neutral, and gave 'em a blast - they cheered. Someone asked, "How long you had it?" - "About 10 minutes" - "Brilliant mate, great car, don't bend it!". Then the lights changed, and we went our separate ways...

That was my intro to XKR ownership.

Old 03-17-2014, 05:16 PM
Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Concourse de Elegance Amelia Island

Lucky man!
Did you see Jay Leno or Wayne Carini at the show?
The closest I will get to Amelia Island is by watching their vlogs and shows in the UK