XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Considering a 2007-2009 XK

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2012, 10:44 AM
Veteran Member
Received 484 Likes on 405 Posts

Originally Posted by mosesbotbol
Manheim should have a cut list in time to research before bidding, but reading how finicky the buyers are on this thread, it's not worth the risk going to Manheim unless in person.

Call a bunch of Jag dealers and tell them exactly what you want and the price range.

If you say you don't want the car Jag certified, they should be willing to turn the car over for minimal profit/effort. All the dealer did for me was to fix the AC drain and install the iPod connector. Their price was fair and we did not haggle at all.
Well this is exactly what I want them to do. I don't want to buy a car from Manheim directly, I want to buy from a dealer that bought a car for me from an auction. Meaning, they know they have a buyer lined up and they know what I'm willing to pay, so it's their job to get a car from auction that meets both their selling and my buying specifications, both maintenance history-wise and year/color/option wise.

Do most dealers do this?

Old 09-24-2012, 11:00 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,202 Likes on 933 Posts

Originally Posted by amcdonal86
Well this is exactly what I want them to do. I don't want to buy a car from Manheim directly, I want to buy from a dealer that bought a car for me from an auction. Meaning, they know they have a buyer lined up and they know what I'm willing to pay, so it's their job to get a car from auction that meets both their selling and my buying specifications, both maintenance history-wise and year/color/option wise.

Do most dealers do this?
I wouldn't do it without a huge deposit or contract from the buyer. They buy the car and you don't like it; then what? They aren't able to road test the car at Manheim and it has issues when they get it home. For the few G's you'll save at an auction the risk could make it the most expensive XK you ever imagined.

Difference with a trade-in is that they were getting the car either way but they happen to know a buyer for just such a car.

I don't think any dealer would go to auction for you unless you already have a relationship with someone and they know you are good for 30K+ without question. I have friends in the auto business and they would pull the trigger for me, but I would not want to risk our friendship in this scenario.

My best advice is not to go the auction route unless you are a cash buyer with deep pockets. Too many nice XK's are already out there. Better to spend a little more upfront on a good car then gamble on spending much more and have a negative ownership experience.

Old 09-24-2012, 11:37 AM
Veteran Member

Ah, I must've misread your post. I thought you said that you went through a dealer to get an auction car because they "turned it over for minimal profit" since they didn't have to do anything to it and had you lined up as a buyer already.

I guess I'll just keep looking.

There may be a lot of nice XKs on the market, but XKRs are much harder to find.

Last edited by amcdonal86; 09-24-2012 at 11:41 AM.
Old 09-24-2012, 12:19 PM
Veteran Member

Ah, I must've misread your post. I thought you said that you went through a dealer to get an auction car because they "turned it over for minimal profit" since they didn't have to do anything to it and had you lined up as a buyer already.

I guess I'll just keep looking.

There may be a lot of nice XKs on the market, but XKRs are much harder to find.
Nope, I meant on a trade in car. I also lumped XK and XKR together in my impression of the market place.

Old 09-25-2012, 02:27 PM
Veteran Member

OK, I have a deal worked out with a dealership a few hours away, both for the trade-in of a Mustang and the purchase of an XKR, possibly by Saturday.

The only concern is the car is a 2007 XKR Convertible with 60k miles. Is 60k a lot of miles for this car, if I plan on keeping it for 5+ years? What would you expect to pay for such a car?

Old 09-25-2012, 02:38 PM
Veteran Member

OK, I have a deal worked out with a dealership a few hours away, both for the trade-in of a Mustang and the purchase of an XKR, possibly by Saturday.

The only concern is the car is a 2007 XKR Convertible with 60k miles. Is 60k a lot of miles for this car, if I plan on keeping it for 5+ years? What would you expect to pay for such a car?

At least you know it's not a lemon... For me it comes down to condition, does it look like 60k miles? I don't think engine and suspension wise 60k is a lot of miles. If the service and condition are good, I think you'll be fine to 100k.

Old 09-25-2012, 03:08 PM
Veteran Member

I negotiated it down to $36k and it is Select Edition certified, but only for a few more months. It's supposedly as good as it gets for that many miles and years, condition wise. And they have all the maintenance records as it was dealer serviced.

I still feel like this is a fairly steep price, I cant really figure out whether I'd rather pay more for an XKR with fewer miles (perhaps paying $4k more could get me an XKR with 20-30k fewer miles).

Old 09-25-2012, 08:17 PM
Veteran Member

Well, I decided to pass on this XKR. Even though it was a relatively good deal at $36k, I ultimately think that selling it would be a nightmare, if I had to for whatever reason in the future. High mileage Jaguars have abysmal resale value.

No worries, though. An XKR just came up for sale that I am interested in. But now I'm working on selling my Mustang.

Old 10-18-2012, 08:36 PM
Veteran Member

So, I think I have a good shot at selling the Mustang tomorrow. I am selling it for about $800 less than I owe, which is probably about the best I can do. I will be free to buy an XKR after I do that!

However, I will probably wait a month or two, unless an XKR comes around at the right price. It seems to me than 2007 thru 2009 XKRs are becoming similarly priced as we approach winter, with no more than a $10k spread or so. Maybe in terms of long term ownership costs, it would be cheapest for me to buy a Select Edition 2009 XKR 'vert. I see some listed for about $50k, and as winter gets even closer, I imagine dealers will be eager to get them off their lots.

That being said, I think I'll stick with a 2007 or 2008 since I drive so few miles, and all of the savings in monthly payment/depreciation/PPT/insurance will probably make up for the additional maintenance costs.

Last edited by amcdonal86; 10-18-2012 at 09:19 PM.
Old 10-19-2012, 02:02 PM
Veteran Member

Hooray! The Mustang is sold. Now our credit unions are handling all the paperwork/payments, and within a week or two everything will be finalized.

Old 11-26-2012, 02:18 PM
Veteran Member

Well, after a long confusing journey to get the title (it was lost in the mail on transit to the buyer's credit union), I finally got a replacement title and it is going to be signed by the buyer in a couple days. So thank goodness for that!

I am starting to get more serious about mobilizing to buy an XKR. I'm thinking a 2007 or 2008 XKR convertible with < 35k miles or so now, for about $36-40k. What do you think the best time to buy is? Now I'm really just looking for the cheapest price this winter, so would that be sometime in January? I don't want to wait too late (like March) because I feel like prices could start creeping up then in preparation for the spring.

Old 11-26-2012, 02:37 PM
Veteran Member

I wouldn't sweat a grand or two in the search for a car like this. Find the right car first, worry about price after. I'd start looking as soon as you can pull the trigger if you find the right one; being colors, options, and condition. Who knows, that might take until the spring? The new year is around the corner and the cars will be one model year older, FWIW.

Old 11-26-2012, 03:17 PM
Veteran Member
Received 383 Likes on 257 Posts

Well, after a long confusing journey to get the title (it was lost in the mail on transit to the buyer's credit union), I finally got a replacement title and it is going to be signed by the buyer in a couple days. So thank goodness for that!

I am starting to get more serious about mobilizing to buy an XKR. I'm thinking a 2007 or 2008 XKR convertible with < 35k miles or so now, for about $36-40k. What do you think the best time to buy is? Now I'm really just looking for the cheapest price this winter, so would that be sometime in January? I don't want to wait too late (like March) because I feel like prices could start creeping up then in preparation for the spring.
That sweet V8 engine of that 2007 XKR is calling you Alan....its time buddy...just feel that tingle! Your getting hives everywhere and there is nothing left to do but lick the quad tailpipes of your XKR cause you love it!!!! (not actually recommended alan - but you want to and that's the main thing).

Sorry...I get carried away when i beckon towards my excitement EVERY. SINGLE. TIME.... that I look at my XK.

There is NOTHING like an XK... Alan....Its not about speed or this or that...Hell my G37s coupe can go 155mph.....Its how this car makes you FEEL when you look at it. When you turn it on. When you drive it. When you hear it.....its an unexplainable aura and IT BECOMES A PART OF YOUR LIVING SOUL!!!!

My XK is named Christine....and if anyone reads Steven King novels you will will smile!

Loth

Old 11-26-2012, 04:08 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by mosesbotbol
I wouldn't sweat a grand or two in the search for a car like this. Find the right car first, worry about price after. I'd start looking as soon as you can pull the trigger if you find the right one; being colors, options, and condition. Who knows, that might take until the spring? The new year is around the corner and the cars will be one model year older, FWIW.
Agreed, finding the right car seems to be much harder. I am most worried about waiting too long to buy and having prices come back up. It seems like since summer prices have dropped $5k or more.

I still want to wait until at least next month for my own finances, and then I will be looking in earnest.

Old 11-26-2012, 06:04 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Lothar52
That sweet V8 engine of that 2007 XKR is calling you Alan....its time buddy...just feel that tingle! Your getting hives everywhere and there is nothing left to do but lick the quad tailpipes of your XKR cause you love it!!!! (not actually recommended alan - but you want to and that's the main thing).

Sorry...I get carried away when i beckon towards my excitement EVERY. SINGLE. TIME.... that I look at my XK.

There is NOTHING like an XK... Alan....Its not about speed or this or that...Hell my G37s coupe can go 155mph.....Its how this car makes you FEEL when you look at it. When you turn it on. When you drive it. When you hear it.....its an unexplainable aura and IT BECOMES A PART OF YOUR LIVING SOUL!!!!

My XK is named Christine....and if anyone reads Steven King novels you will will smile!

Loth
Haha, thanks Loth. I agree with you. It's been a while since I've been behind the wheel of an XKR, but what you describe is exactly the reason I'd want one. I don't want to constantly be in the business of comparing stats and figures--I want to buy a car based on how it makes me feel. You cannot beat the looks, sound, class and luxury of an XKR in this price range.

The following users liked this post:
Lothar52 (11-27-2012)
Old 12-18-2012, 07:08 PM
Veteran Member

So, I'm starting to mobilize. I think I still want to wait until January, but one vehicle just popped up within a relatively convenient driving distance, but seems to have some issues with it in the photos.

My concerns are with the side air vents:

Is that sort of deterioration normal? How hard are they to replace?

Also, I have some concerns about the condition of the top:

FYI, the car has about 30k miles and is an '07.

I was hoping for a garaged near mint example (also I don't like the chrome wheels, yuck!). What do you think the above two items say about the car?

The rest of the car looks good but it's hard to tell from the photos since it's so cloudy.

Attached Thumbnails Considering a 2007-2009 XK-634914284519047277.jpg   Considering a 2007-2009 XK-634914284507484111.jpg  

Last edited by amcdonal86; 12-18-2012 at 07:14 PM.
Old 12-18-2012, 10:53 PM
Veteran Member
Received 875 Likes on 633 Posts

So, I'm starting to mobilize. I think I still want to wait until January, but one vehicle just popped up within a relatively convenient driving distance, but seems to have some issues with it in the photos.

My concerns are with the side air vents:

Is that sort of deterioration normal? How hard are they to replace.
Wow, I'd be shocked to see side vents or any trim like that.

I'm up in the pacific northwest so our interiors don't see the direct sun like those in the south, but that damage looks nasty to me. I'd be alert to nearly every nook and cranny of the interior over that photo.

Vince

Old 12-18-2012, 11:18 PM
Veteran Member

That's what I was thinking--I've knocked this one off my list. I have another one on my list, though, that is cheaper, albeit with more miles, but it a Select Edition car for several more months. We'll see what happens...

Old 12-20-2012, 08:35 AM
Veteran Member

So I'm looking at another 2007 XKR. I'm wondering about its options. How do I tell if it has the Alpine stereo? It has a satellite radio antenna on the trunk lid, but I don't see the "Alpine" emblem on the speaker covers on the doors. Does it have the Alpine stereo?

Old 12-20-2012, 10:34 AM
Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

You can try to find that here:
TOPIx - TOPIx

Quick Reply: Considering a 2007-2009 XK