XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Considering a 2007-2009 XK

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2012, 12:04 PM
Veteran Member
Received 484 Likes on 405 Posts

I like that interior color, but I don't like the paint color. I much prefer jet black (Ebony) over sparkly "Celestial Black". Nevertheless, Portfolios were not available in Ebony, but I don't think the sparklyness would turn me off that much at the right price.

Unfortunately, at this point, I think I would still prefer an '07 at a signficant discount rather than an '08. I'm going to hold out at least another month. My dream is still to get a BRG '07!

Last edited by amcdonal86; 08-13-2012 at 12:13 PM.
Old 08-14-2012, 06:46 PM
Veteran Member

Well I test drove a 2009 XF (naturally aspirated). I have to say, I was quite impressed by the whole package. Very comfortable car. Would be a great car for 4 people to go on a road trip. Outside, it looks very voluptuous. Has a definite presence, despite the funky looking headlights. Overall, it looks great. The engine sounds great, too! And the steering is very reminiscent of the XK/R's steering, but the car overall feels much heavier.

Not to mention that the XF is quite slow compared to what I've been used to lately. I think I don't give my Mustang enough credit for being as fast as it is. The XF would make beautiful glorious sounds out of its exhaust, but would seemingly not be going very fast at all. Then again, I could always get a supercharged one. But at that price, I'd rather have an XKR!

Something about the XF just doesn't excite me the way the XKR did. The XF, however, is a much better bargain when you consider the practicality, etc.

In the end, I think I will hold fast to my dreams of getting an XKR. I want to reverse my trend of changing cars every year, and really have a car that I can keep for a long time, never get bored of, and be proud to own--not just now, but even 20 years after it is gone. That car is the XKR!

Last edited by amcdonal86; 08-14-2012 at 06:50 PM.
Old 08-14-2012, 08:45 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,202 Likes on 933 Posts

Once Jag releases an aluminum version of the XF, it's going to be amazing.

Old 08-15-2012, 07:03 AM
Veteran Member
Received 325 Likes on 201 Posts

Originally Posted by amcdonal86
In the end, I think I will hold fast to my dreams of getting an XKR. I want to reverse my trend of changing cars every year, and really have a car that I can keep for a long time, never get bored of, and be proud to own--not just now, but even 20 years after it is gone. That car is the XKR!
Sounds like a nice dream, but unrealistic given much of what you've said in this thread. Since you aren't ready to make a purchase anyways, consider a time-out to enjoy and appreciate your Mustang, and your girlfriend, both of which will have been at least somewhat neglected over the last few months as you've struggled with this decision. I'd also consider making it with your girlfriend, even though you said before you wanted to surprise her. Since the car is for you anyways, and not her, I think you might score a lot more points by including her in this major financial decision...and that could go a long ways to being able to enjoy whatever you end up purchasing!

Bruce

Old 08-15-2012, 08:49 AM
Veteran Member

Haha, she is fully aware now that I am in the process of buying a new car and is supportive of it. (She told me she knew how sad I was when I sold my 2006 XJ Vanden Plas!) But she doesn't know what it is. Judging by the level of Jaguar posters, magazines, and computer desktop wallpapers, she'd be dumb not to think that it was something feline...

It remains a dream for now, but if I had my druthers it will become reality by October. There are many XKRs now in my price range, but I'm just not ready to buy yet.

Old 08-15-2012, 08:54 AM
Veteran Member

It doesn't sound like an unreasonable price to ask for to me, either. But the fact of the matter used cars (especially) are market priced commodities. It's hard to justify paying more for a car than the price the market commands--and this car is an example.

However, this one below looks appropriately priced and is very tempting (Select Edition Certified and a Portfolio model)!

Used 2008 Jaguar XKR AUTO For Sale in Houston, TX near Sugar Land - T89B21384
I was notified by the dealer that this one sold yesterday. Not too bummed out, but this is one of the few that seems to have actually sold since I've been looking at prices.

Old 08-15-2012, 09:25 AM
Veteran Member
Received 594 Likes on 422 Posts

Well I test drove a 2009 XF (naturally aspirated). I have to say, I was quite impressed by the whole package. Very comfortable car. Would be a great car for 4 people to go on a road trip. Outside, it looks very voluptuous. Has a definite presence, despite the funky looking headlights. Overall, it looks great. The engine sounds great, too! And the steering is very reminiscent of the XK/R's steering, but the car overall feels much heavier.

Not to mention that the XF is quite slow compared to what I've been used to lately. I think I don't give my Mustang enough credit for being as fast as it is. The XF would make beautiful glorious sounds out of its exhaust, but would seemingly not be going very fast at all. Then again, I could always get a supercharged one. But at that price, I'd rather have an XKR!

Something about the XF just doesn't excite me the way the XKR did. The XF, however, is a much better bargain when you consider the practicality, etc.

You should also test drive the new XJ or XJL. I do not know the 0-60 for the XF but, assume that it is close to the XJ, being smaller but made of steel instead of aluminum. The XJ will do 0-60 in 5.3 sec (factory claim), actually tested by Motor Trend to 4.9 sec. Now, if you find that slow than you REALLY need an XKR or similar. The shape of the XJ may also sit well with you, it is certainly an attention getter.

As far as pricing, it is surprisingly far less than the XK variations. Base XJ is around 73K, base XK is 84K. I can not imagine why as the XJ not only quite a bit larger but, packs a LOT more features, as well as updated everything over the XK series. I guess, it is market pricing vs. value pricing. The sticker price for my new long wheel base XJL Portfolio model with options, such as the wood steering and adaptable lighting ($1500 total) was less than a base XK would cost. Heck, it even includes "Jeannie from the Bottle" your own sexy female servant who lives behind the dash and responds to your every voice command with infinite patience. Well... at least to almost every command... No wonder many reviewers called the XJ a "bargain".

Albert

Old 08-15-2012, 09:29 AM
Veteran Member

I thought the coupe was generally a marque's flagship car as with Mercedes and Bentley as two examples.

Old 08-15-2012, 01:07 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by mosesbotbol
I thought the coupe was generally a marque's flagship car as with Mercedes and Bentley as two examples.
I believe this to be the case.

Old 08-15-2012, 01:47 PM
Veteran Member
Received 594 Likes on 422 Posts

I would think that Jaguar would consider the new $155,000, 2013 XJL Ultimate as their flagship car. It is a Supercharged XJL with some luxury options, like electric drink-bar at the rear seats and finer leathers, etc. It is almost double the price of the 385 HP XJL Portfolio. Certainly hard to justify in terms of value but, I'm sure that buyers who opt for it will not be concerned with value too much.

Albert

Old 08-15-2012, 04:12 PM
Veteran Member

Pricing is likely set according to the models they are competing with, as opposed to their own siblings. That may make profit margins razor thin on some models compared to others...and very tempting to switch between models within the Jaguar brand.

Btw, congrats on your new XJ Albert!

Bruce

The following users liked this post:
axr6 (08-15-2012)
Old 08-15-2012, 07:30 PM
Veteran Member

I typically think of a "model" as being a flagship, rather than a specific special edition model as being a flagship. I still think the XK is Jaguar's flagship, and if not, it's certainly its trademark car.

I used to hate the X351's styling, but once I accepted the XK/R's styling, I started to realize that Jaguars were never meant to be stodgy. Back in the day, they were striking and voluptuous, just like Ian Callum's creations.

Old 08-15-2012, 08:05 PM
Veteran Member

I think of the long line of XK's being Jaguar's halo car, starting with the XK-SS through XK120-140, C, D and E-Types. They are performance models tied to Jaguar's racing history. Jag's flagship models have always been the big saloons in my mind, full of luxury, class and performance a cut above its competitors.

Old 08-15-2012, 10:29 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Bruce H.
I think of the long line of XK's being Jaguar's halo car, starting with the XK-SS through XK120-140, C, D and E-Types. They are performance models tied to Jaguar's racing history. Jag's flagship models have always been the big saloons in my mind, full of luxury, class and performance a cut above its competitors.
You have convinced me!

Old 08-18-2012, 10:18 AM
Veteran Member

Can anyone tell if this 2007 model has the 5.1 Alpine Stereo? If it's any clue, it also has the sat radio antenna.

I would show the whole ad but I don't want anyone to buy it out from under me! I'm hoping it's still around next month.

Old 08-18-2012, 01:25 PM
Veteran Member

Looks like it has the Alpine. Ask for a close up of the door panel speaker.

Old 08-18-2012, 01:43 PM
Veteran Member

Looks like it has the Alpine. Ask for a close up of the door panel speaker.

That's a closer up picture.

Old 08-18-2012, 03:35 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,214 Likes on 918 Posts

I owned an 08 xk and now have a 12 xk. The differences are quite significant starting with a 5.0 engine as opposed to a 4.2 on the 08. The 12 seems much tighter all around. I'm not sure but I think the 5.0 engine was first installed in the 10's. I think if I were you I would probably opt to get the 10 even if I had to wait to get one at your price point. Regarding the paddle shifters, they are very responsive and positive on both years.

Old 08-21-2012, 10:25 PM
Veteran Member

Well, I've made a decision and I am going to hold off on the car purchase until October or November. Many of these cars are very tempting to jump on, but the timing just isn't right right now. I need to sell my old car and let prices settle down a little bit more.

My original post was on April 29. I've waited almost 3 full months now in my car search. What's another 2-3 months? Now I just need to figure out a way to keep me entertained.

Old 08-22-2012, 12:25 PM
Received 141 Likes on 82 Posts

Patience is a virtue, and when you're buying something like this, making sure you don't feel guilty about it due to monetary issues is pretty significant. Do the right thing (by your pocket book) and you'll be happier long term. We will still be here to encourage you and provide temptation!

Quick Reply: Considering a 2007-2009 XK