XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Continental Extreme Contact DWS issues

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2012, 12:54 PM
Veteran Member
Received 120 Likes on 87 Posts
Default Continental Extreme Contact DWS issues

About a month ago, I replaced the rear tires with new Continental Extreme Contact DWS. (The Dunlops on the front still had too much tread to replace.) The handling of the car changed immediately, dramatically and not in a good way. At highway speeds, the steering felt light and the car felt like it was drifting. I thought it was something that would work itself out in time but it didn't. Yesterday I bit the bullet and replaced the Continentals and the Dunlops with a set of Hankook Ventus 12 EVOs. I had good luck with them on my old XK8 and figured that would solve the handling issue. It did. The car once again feel solid. Interestingly, the guy at the tire place told me that he put the same Continentals on his wife's car and had the same problem. Has anybody here had issues with the Continentals?

Old 05-11-2012, 02:27 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,202 Likes on 933 Posts

I had the Extreme Contact on my VDP and liked them. Not as performance as you probably wanted, but had a plush ride. I have Pilot Sport AS on the XK and am on the fence whether I like them. They don't grip in hard cornering as much as I would've thought.

Old 05-11-2012, 02:53 PM
Veteran Member
Received 875 Likes on 633 Posts

Lots of possibility there, but I think you made a few errors along the way.

First is mixing not only names, but compounds... (You didnt say which Dunlops you left up front). I never recommended this on an every day driver. As you found out, the consequences can be alarming if not disastrous. Pro drivers will vary compounds to alter the handling characteristics while most street cars don't take well to arbitrary swaps like this.

Second, the DWS and V12 are not even in the same category of tire design, so of course they are going to respond differently. The DW would have been the closer comparison.

BTW. Florida should not require an all-season tire in the first place. Many grasp the A/S thinking "Dry vs Wet Vs Snow", when it should be more closely related "Above freezing vs Below freezing". A quality summer tire will almost always outperform an A/S in dry or wet conditions.

The DWS is an highly respected tire here in the chilly north as a good winter tire.

Vince

Old 05-11-2012, 05:05 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,181 Likes on 1,621 Posts

The solution could have been as easy as putting the same conti's in front as well.

Or, shifting the conti's to the front to get a feel for their effect.

Old 05-11-2012, 05:08 PM
Banned
Received 256 Likes on 218 Posts

I've got Conti Extreme Contact DWs on my car. Note not DWS. I'm quiet happy with them. The only problem is a vague on center feel but I think that is my fault. I had the car aligned with the old worn tires and not the new as yet.

FWIW Some people in FL go for the DWSs as they are reputed to run quieter.

Old 05-11-2012, 07:07 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by tarhealcracker
FWIW Some people in FL go for the DWSs as they are reputed to run quieter.
Not to mention that some people have a need to be able to handle at least minimal snow when they drive out of state.

Old 05-11-2012, 07:17 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by CleverName
A quality summer tire will almost always outperform an A/S in dry or wet conditions.
It's not as simple as that.

The all season or full winter tire in recent technology will have more drainage and micro-siping.

That would be an advantage in torrential downpours at speed, and where the pavement temperature has fallen. Maybe not freezing, but colder than say 50*F.

If the rain is both heavy, and it is also cold, there is a good chance that the all season or full winter is going to be more confidence inspiring.

The full winter may be noisy, but the performance will still be good.

Old 05-11-2012, 07:17 PM
Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

I have DWS on my XK and love them. I have a really good relationship with my tyre guy and he told me do not mix another tyre with these it will not end well because they have mixed treed patterns.

Old 05-11-2012, 07:36 PM
RJC
Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

Yup, mixing tread patterns is not recommended.

Old 05-21-2012, 07:56 PM
Received 58 Likes on 52 Posts

I won't go in to too much detail but I can say that my eperience with the Conti's was far better than it was with the Hankooks - they were a total nightmare from day one. The Conti's worked well on my 08 535i but sometimes the same tires provide different feel when mounted on different cars.

Old 10-23-2014, 05:34 PM
Veteran Member
Received 672 Likes on 495 Posts
Question What mileage are you getting long term with the DWS?

I know this is an old thread, and I apologize for its resurrection with my reply.... but I was hoping some of the original posters to this thread that have/had the DWS might chime in on their long term experience.

I am looking at the DWS and the new Pirelli P7 Cinturato for my 1997 XJR.

Both have excellent reviews, and their "sweet spot", but for me the big difference is in the warrantee mileage.

The DWS has a 50k mile warrantee/rating, but I was wondering what real world mileage owners were getting out of the DWS.

As I drive 20-25k miles a year, I'd like to avoid a tire I'd have to replace annually.

Also any other long term ownership of the DWS feedback is much appreciated.

Old 10-23-2014, 08:45 PM
Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts

I have the Contis on my 07 XK. The tires are very good in all weather conditions. Prefer them to Hankooks ...not even close.

Old 10-26-2014, 08:06 AM
Received 136 Likes on 64 Posts

Interesting and timely thread as I ordered a set of DWS Continentals yesterday for my 08 XK. I go back and forth from Lake Tahoe to the Bay Area and have the DWS tires on my Land Rover. This is not the total reason for my selection decision, however I have been quite satisfied with their overall performance.

I'll be sure to report on the experience as soon as they are installed...

Old 10-26-2014, 04:13 PM
Veteran Member
Received 672 Likes on 495 Posts
Question

Originally Posted by Tahoe Dave
Interesting and timely thread as I ordered a set of DWS Continentals yesterday for my 08 XK. I go back and forth from Lake Tahoe to the Bay Area and have the DWS tires on my Land Rover. This is not the total reason for my selection decision, however I have been quite satisfied with their overall performance.

I'll be sure to report on the experience as soon as they are installed...

Curious, what kind of mileage are you getting out of the DWS on the Land Rover?

Old 10-26-2014, 06:39 PM
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

I bought my set of Conti DWS two years ago and have put 14,000 miles on them. I still think they are the quietest, most comfortable tires I have ever had on a car. They also look great.

I don't track the XK and drive it gently, as a GT, in all weather conditions, including light snow.

The following users liked this post:
al_roethlisberger (10-27-2014)
Old 10-26-2014, 07:33 PM

Originally Posted by al_roethlisberger
Curious, what kind of mileage are you getting out of the DWS on the Land Rover?
I have about 10K on them so far and there's plenty of tread remaining. We have two Land Rovers, a Sport and Full Fat. In spite of the DWS snow ratings, I have separate winter tires, Blizzak's for both.

The following users liked this post:
al_roethlisberger (10-27-2014)
Old 10-30-2014, 05:50 PM

I had the Continental (20") tires installed on Tuesday and put 200 freeway miles on them yesterday. As expected, they make less noise than the Hankook's and the quality of the ride seems to have improved. Because they are 20" I have set a reasonable expectation as to both comfort and noise. As we all know, there isn't much sidewall on these tires to absorb road shock and road noise.

All in all, I'm quite pleased with my all season choice especially considering that half of the year we live in the Lake Tahoe area.

Old 11-05-2014, 04:32 PM
Received 68 Likes on 43 Posts

I have Contis DWS on the 09 and Hankooks on the 10, definitely like the ride of the Contis better

Old 11-21-2014, 07:53 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I recently replaced my worn out Conti DWS tires on my Mercedes SUV at 30,000 miles. Continential allowed a 30% discount on my new Conti DWS tires.

Old 11-27-2014, 08:20 AM
guy
Veteran Member
Received 1,103 Likes on 776 Posts

Couldn't agree more.
Cheers.
Originally Posted by CleverName
Lots of possibility there, but I think you made a few errors along the way.

First is mixing not only names, but compounds... (You didnt say which Dunlops you left up front). I never recommended this on an every day driver. As you found out, the consequences can be alarming if not disastrous. Pro drivers will vary compounds to alter the handling characteristics while most street cars don't take well to arbitrary swaps like this.

Second, the DWS and V12 are not even in the same category of tire design, so of course they are going to respond differently. The DW would have been the closer comparison.

BTW. Florida should not require an all-season tire in the first place. Many grasp the A/S thinking "Dry vs Wet Vs Snow", when it should be more closely related "Above freezing vs Below freezing". A quality summer tire will almost always outperform an A/S in dry or wet conditions.

The DWS is an highly respected tire here in the chilly north as a good winter tire.

Vince

Quick Reply: Continental Extreme Contact DWS issues