XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Continuing saga: Coolant loss/smell after water pump replacement

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2021, 02:17 PM
Veteran Member
Received 529 Likes on 375 Posts
Default Continuing saga: Coolant loss/smell after water pump replacement

As the thread title reads, my 2010 XK, after 13,000 miles and the latest water pump replacement part AJ813909), still continues to have a coolant smell as well as some coolant loss. I've owned my car for 7 years and drive very little (1,000 miles a year?) I had the water pump replaced at Jaguar with the mileage at that time reading 11,467. I watched the coolant level regularly. After the initial lnstall and a few very small top ups, it seemed to be stable. Now, after approximately 1500 miles, I get the coolant smell from the front of the car after a drive as well as having to add a few ounces after a few short drives to keep it at the minimum level. My question is this.....I had an extended warranty (Easy Care Total Care) which covered to the repair and it is warrantied for 1 year or 12,000 miles which is coming up in a few weeks. When I bring the car back to the Jaguar dealership, is it fair that the dealership charges me to check the car for this coolant problem? I hate to lay out well over $100+ for them to tell me they couldn't find anything. I'm expecting this but will be talking to the shop manager before leaving the car. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. I haven't read many threads of water pump failure after the latest water pump part install. Thanks all. PS. I had this problem for years, while I went in for numerous pressure tests and before Jaguar finally stepped up to the plate to replace the water pump which I knew was defective on most of our cars. Now that it's replaced, I'm not sure there might be a leak in one of the notorious plastic pieces or junctions which are incredibly difficult to find with another pressure test.

Old 02-23-2021, 03:20 PM
Veteran Member
Received 674 Likes on 335 Posts

My 2010 has a very small leak that is at the rear of the engine on passenger side, I believe on an O-ring fitting for the heater hoses, I think.. I had documented it somewhere, but am unable to find it... But wouldn't hurt to look around that area..

Old 02-23-2021, 03:43 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,839 Likes on 1,233 Posts

Originally Posted by bocatrip
As the thread title reads, my 2010 XK, after 13,000 miles and the latest water pump replacement part AJ813909), still continues to have a coolant smell as well as some coolant loss. I've owned my car for 7 years and drive very little (1,000 miles a year?) I had the water pump replaced at Jaguar with the mileage at that time reading 11,467. I watched the coolant level regularly. After the initial lnstall and a few very small top ups, it seemed to be stable. Now, after approximately 1500 miles, I get the coolant smell from the front of the car after a drive as well as having to add a few ounces after a few short drives to keep it at the minimum level. My question is this.....I had an extended warranty (Easy Care Total Care) which covered to the repair and it is warrantied for 1 year or 12,000 miles which is coming up in a few weeks. When I bring the car back to the Jaguar dealership, is it fair that the dealership charges me to check the car for this coolant problem? I hate to lay out well over $100+ for them to tell me they couldn't find anything. I'm expecting this but will be talking to the shop manager before leaving the car. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. I haven't read many threads of water pump failure after the latest water pump part install. Thanks all. PS. I had this problem for years, while I went in for numerous pressure tests and before Jaguar finally stepped up to the plate to replace the water pump which I knew was defective on most of our cars. Now that it's replaced, I'm not sure there might be a leak in one of the notorious plastic pieces or junctions which are incredibly difficult to find with another pressure test.
Before you take it in STOP topping it off and just watch the level. See if it levels out or continues to go down. Also the smell is most likely spilled antifreeze in the belly pan during the replacement.

The following 2 users liked this post by jagtoes:
ralphwg (02-23-2021), XKRAU (02-26-2021)
Old 02-23-2021, 04:18 PM
Veteran Member
Received 633 Likes on 410 Posts

All 4 years I have owned my XK I have smelled coolant. Sometimes more prominent than others, been a couple of times that it was so bad in the garage that I immediately opened it up expecting to see coolant pouring out, but alas all was good. Been through 3 pressure tests at 2 different dealers and nothing leaked.

I watch my coolant level like a hawk and it never changes, I am talking rock solid right on the top full line for years.

Old 02-23-2021, 06:09 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,579 Likes on 1,419 Posts

I've had 5 water pumps replaced and when last week, I got a coolant low warning upon startup, I feared water pump #6 was on it's way. No leaks under the car, so my mechanic pulled the supercharger to find the Valley between the valve covers now looked like Hoover Dam. All the hoses, connections under the supercharger replaced last week. Haven't driven the car much since picking it up, but I will assume my leak is gone.

The following 2 users liked this post by tberg:
DGL (03-04-2021), mosesbotbol (02-24-2021)
Old 02-23-2021, 09:11 PM
Received 697 Likes on 351 Posts

The level going down could be air bleeding out of the system. I had to top off several times after service was done before the coolant level finally stabilized.

As Jagtoes suggests, the smell may be residual coolant from the pump replacement.

The following users liked this post:
007XKR (02-24-2021)
Old 02-23-2021, 09:43 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by gkubrak
The level going down could be air bleeding out of the system. I had to top off several times after service was done before the coolant level finally stabilized.

As Jagtoes suggests, the smell may be residual coolant from the pump replacement.
It's been almost a year and 1500 miles since my water pump replacement. I'm sure the cooling system had more than enough time to stabilize after all this time. Even if the residue is from the last pump replacement (which might be doubtful as well after so much time) it still doesn't explain the loss of coolant. With regards to my original question on post 1......Is it fair, knowing I have a 1 year 12,000 mile warranty on the water pump.... for the dealer to charge me labor to look at my car to see if the replaced water pump has started to leak?

Old 02-24-2021, 05:44 AM
guy
Veteran Member
Received 1,123 Likes on 791 Posts

the overflow from the reservoir spilling on the engine or exhaust??

Old 02-24-2021, 05:52 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,839 Likes on 1,233 Posts

It's been almost a year and 1500 miles since my water pump replacement. I'm sure the cooling system had more than enough time to stabilize after all this time. Even if the residue is from the last pump replacement (which might be doubtful as well after so much time) it still doesn't explain the loss of coolant. With regards to my original question on post 1......Is it fair, knowing I have a 1 year 12,000 mile warranty on the water pump.... for the dealer to charge me labor to look at my car to see if the replaced water pump has started to leak?
I would say it is fair to be charged but if they find a leak/problem then they should absorb the charge and repair cost.

bocatrip (02-24-2021)
Old 02-24-2021, 09:56 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by guy
the overflow from the reservoir spilling on the engine or exhaust??
No

Originally Posted by jagtoes
I would say it is fair to be charged but if they find a leak/problem then they should absorb the charge and repair cost.
Thanks.

Old 02-24-2021, 10:36 AM

Right on que... should have kept my mouth shut.

I go to check the oil and find this coolant leak =[

I guess if it sounds like a leak, looks like a leak, then it must be a leak. Check every crevis, valley, nook and cranny in your engine bay for any signs of coolant.

So would this fall under 'cheap plastic' or 'aged rubber' ?? LOL

Old 02-24-2021, 10:51 AM

I realize these coolant leaks are like plugging up the dike with your finger ... you plug 1 just to have another 1 spring up

bocatrip (02-24-2021)
Old 02-24-2021, 11:05 AM
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I have the same issue on my 13 . Smelling of antifreeze & the reservoir slowly dropping. It was losing about 2 or 3mm every thousand miles. Couldn't see anything, took it in & Jag dealer said the water pump was weeping, so had it changed. Car continued to smell & lose water at the same rate. Dealer said it was just clearing some air out the system & the old stuff drying up from where the pump had been out. Never got any better, so it went back for a pressure test & they said they couldn't find anything wrong. 2000 miles on & it continues to smell & slowly lose level. I've looked over & over at it, but can't find the source of the smell. I bought a cheap inspection camera to see if i could get into the valley, but so far can't seem to find an access route in.
Frustrating doesn't cover it.

bocatrip (02-24-2021)
Old 02-24-2021, 11:22 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by 427MikeB
I have the same issue on my 13 . Smelling of antifreeze & the reservoir slowly dropping. It was losing about 2 or 3mm every thousand miles. Couldn't see anything, took it in & Jag dealer said the water pump was weeping, so had it changed. Car continued to smell & lose water at the same rate. Dealer said it was just clearing some air out the system & the old stuff drying up from where the pump had been out. Never got any better, so it went back for a pressure test & they said they couldn't find anything wrong. 2000 miles on & it continues to smell & slowly lose level. I've looked over & over at it, but can't find the source of the smell. I bought a cheap inspection camera to see if i could get into the valley, but so far can't seem to find an access route in.
Frustrating doesn't cover it.
Welcome to my world!

gkubrak (02-24-2021)
Old 02-24-2021, 11:58 AM
Received 141 Likes on 95 Posts

Every 5.0 i have come across stinks of coolant from time to time, mine included. I have never had to top up coolant though and have never seen a leak except for weeping overflow on water pump when that crapped out, Range Rovers, XK, F-type, F-Pace XJ, all of them

Old 02-24-2021, 08:27 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,380 Likes on 1,490 Posts

I’ve been through numerous leaks on both the 5.0 litre and 3.0 litre supercharged engines. Some important notes to condsider. Thoroughly wash every crack and crevice of the engine and compartment to eliminate any residual coolant. Proper fill via vacuum is very important to eliminate all air pockets and I have found even the main dealer fails on this, one time by as much as 3 litres! The water pump seals and oil cooler tube must be installed correctly and system filled correctly or damage to the pump may occur. It is common to repair one leak only to cause another leak. Many of the plastic coolant hoses top, bottom, front and rear will weep at seams and joints. There are several bleeder screws which may be opened to allow air to escape.

bocatrip (02-25-2021)
Old 02-25-2021, 09:31 AM
Received 93 Likes on 63 Posts

It is fair for the dealer to charge an inspection fee to look at the car; but if it is found that the failure was due to a warranted component then they should reverse the inspection charge.

Consider the possibility that the plastic overflow container might have a tiny hole or crack at the bottom, sufficient to vent vapor but not sufficient to actually leak fluid. When I replaced all hoses three years ago on my 2007 XK 4.2, I also replaced that overflow container. I believe the original container was the source of the antifreeze odor.

The following 2 users liked this post by Patrick Wong:
kj07xk (02-25-2021), ralphwg (02-25-2021)
Old 02-25-2021, 10:15 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Patrick Wong
It is fair for the dealer to charge an inspection fee to look at the car; but if it is found that the failure was due to a warranted component then they should reverse the inspection charge.

Consider the possibility that the plastic overflow container might have a tiny hole or crack at the bottom, sufficient to vent vapor but not sufficient to actually leak fluid. When I replaced all hoses three years ago on my 2007 XK 4.2, I also replaced that overflow container. I believe the original container was the source of the antifreeze odor.
Thanks Patrick for your feedback. I'd live with the coolant smell if it weren't for the loss of coolant. Considering that the dealership will have to pay/cover any expense if the leak is from the dealer warrantied water pump, I'm somewhat skeptical they'll be finding anything. As Jahummer mentioned above, it's the numerous plastic lines and connections as well as our notorious water pump that concerns me. It's a constant chore trying to find the culprit for these leaks as they can be anywhere as well as "fixing one only leak, only to find that it's leaking at another location". I believe the cooling system in out cars is one of the weakest links to ownership. Regardsless, I have one week left on my dealer warranty for the water pump replacement and will bring it in within the week. I'm not expecting anything, but will give it a try regardless.

Old 02-25-2021, 12:23 PM

. I have one week left on my dealer warranty for the water pump replacement and will bring it in within the week. I'm not expecting anything, but will give it a try regardless.
You should try to at least see if it's leaking from the water pump or gasket. Then you will have some ammo when you go see the dealer.

I used a $15 wifi boroscope from Amazon to see my leaking waterpump. Very useful tool.

Old 02-25-2021, 07:22 PM
Veteran Member

Update:...I'm the OP for this thread. I drove down to the Jaguar dealer that replaced my water pump last year. I got to speak with the very Master Tech that replaced my pump. I told him my concerns and he will look at my car next Tuesday. I'll be bringing it in to have it pressure tested over night. I asked him how much of the plastic cooling network for our cars can be visible under inspection. He said between the top and bottom about 90%. I'm not expecting much, but for 1/2 hour labor as the diagnostic fee, I'll give it a whirl. To be continued.

fxdwg (02-26-2021)

Quick Reply: Continuing saga: Coolant loss/smell after water pump replacement