XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Continuing saga: Coolant loss/smell after water pump replacement

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2021, 08:25 AM
Veteran Member
Received 529 Likes on 375 Posts

Update: Jaguar called me after the cooling system was pressurized overnight to try to find the cause of my coolant smell and slight loss of fluid. They found the outlet pipe AJ89664 to be leaking. I have brought my car in for this problem about 5 times while I had the car under extended warranty (Easy Care Total Care) and now that I am out of warranty, and after replacing the water pump they finally find it... Cost to repair...$1200. Of course I am not fixing it and will be picking up the car. I'll be watching my coolant level as I always have and will decide if I'll take it to my Indy or live with it. If I'm to believe Jaguar...it's amazing how Jaguar finds the issue after my warranty has expired. How come I'm not surprised?

The following users liked this post:
Cee Jay (03-03-2021)
Old 03-03-2021, 11:22 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,380 Likes on 1,490 Posts

Interesting, that is usually the first coolant pipe to fail, but typically at 50K miles or more due to heat. The original design, on yours, was a 2 piece vulcanized plastic and would weep at the seams, the new revised version is a solid one piece. I had one fail at 4 years, 80K miles and I had one fail at five years 55K miles, FWIW.

I would take this up with the service manager if you can document the history, preferably from the service tickets written up to describe the problem. I would demand some sort of assistance from them. The part is super cheap but there is a bit of labor to remove the intake manifold to get to it. I would also insist they replace the parts I told you they needed to replace when the did the water pump AND while it is apart also replace the rear coolant heater crossover, takes about 10 minutes to do and you will be certain to not have any further leaks for a very long time.

The following 2 users liked this post by jahummer:
bocatrip (03-03-2021), ralphwg (03-03-2021)
Old 03-03-2021, 11:39 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by jahummer
Interesting, that is usually the first coolant pipe to fail, but typically at 50K miles or more due to heat. The original design, on yours, was a 2 piece vulcanized plastic and would weep at the seams, the new revised version is a solid one piece. I had one fail at 4 years, 80K miles and I had one fail at five years 55K miles, FWIW.

I would take this up with the service manager if you can document the history, preferably from the service tickets written up to describe the problem. I would demand some sort of assistance from them. The part is super cheap but there is a bit of labor to remove the intake manifold to get to it. I would also insist they replace the parts I told you they needed to replace when the did the water pump AND while it is apart also replace the rear coolant heater crossover, takes about 10 minutes to do and you will be certain to not have any further leaks for a very long time.
Jahammer....Thank you for your valuable information.... Unfortunately, the dealership I've been going to has been taken over by Auto Nation a few years ago, and they are more than difficult to deal with. Yes, the part is cheap, but the intake as you mentioned must come off and they want to change to intake gaskets as well. I'm no longer confident in this dealership as they had 5 opportunities to find this leak and only found it now, while I'm out of warranty. Yes, it must be weeping as there is only a slight loss of coolant after 100s of miles. I'll continue to watch my coolant level until I may or may not decide to take it else where for repair. Question........Does this coolant outlet pipe generally continue to weep or is there a catastrophic failure as in a gusher...I currently have 13,000 miles. Thanks again.

Old 03-03-2021, 04:03 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,380 Likes on 1,490 Posts

I have no experience with low mileage failure, but I can tell you both of mine DID get worse in a short amount of time. I thought I could get away with a slight leak for a bit bit a slight leak turned into a stream in a matter of a few weeks.

I would think contacting the corporate parent of the dealership might get you help, but specially if you have your previous concerns and history in writing. The squeaky wheel gets the grease so to speak. And yes you SHOULD replace the gaskets. I’ve had it done 3 times in the past 2 years on one of them so I understand your frustration with the ineptness of dealing with main dealers.

It’s an easy job so even a good independent could have a go at it. The biggest point as I said make certain you spend the extra money and do the other pipes while you’re in there.

The following 3 users liked this post by jahummer:
007XKR (03-04-2021), bocatrip (03-03-2021), ralphwg (03-03-2021)
Old 03-07-2021, 07:39 AM
Received 58 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by bocatrip
Update: Jaguar called me after the cooling system was pressurized overnight to try to find the cause of my coolant smell and slight loss of fluid. They found the outlet pipe AJ89664 to be leaking. I have brought my car in for this problem about 5 times while I had the car under extended warranty (Easy Care Total Care) and now that I am out of warranty, and after replacing the water pump they finally find it... Cost to repair...$1200. Of course I am not fixing it and will be picking up the car. I'll be watching my coolant level as I always have and will decide if I'll take it to my Indy or live with it. If I'm to believe Jaguar...it's amazing how Jaguar finds the issue after my warranty has expired. How come I'm not surprised?
Where is this ' AJ89664 outlet pipe', and can I inspect it visually?

Old 03-07-2021, 10:42 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by yidal8
Where is this ' AJ89664 outlet pipe', and can I inspect it visually?
Up to now, I have been unable to observe the leak that was mentioned. I believe the pipe is towards the top front of the engine and goes under the intake. That is the reason for the costly repair which requires the removal of the intake. Unfortunately, part of the problem replacing the plastic coolant parts, is the "collateral damage" as a result of taking things apart and reassembly.