XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Convertible hood will not close

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2017, 03:41 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Convertible hood will not close

2007 4.2 XK Hood will not close , message "Hood not latched ". I can hear the pump working .
I tried resetting procedure several times, same result .
Question do I wing the pump clockwise after the resetting procedure ?

any ideas

Old 03-13-2017, 07:48 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,209 Likes on 915 Posts

There is a member of the forum who is a real expert on convertible tops. He has a website where he sells remote top openers and other accessories. Unfortunately I can't remember his sign-on name. Steve is a real good guy and his website is: TheJagWrangler - Home - About Us

You can wait for him to sign on, go to his website or figure out his login and pm him. I'm sure he will be able to help you. By the way, the best aftermarket add-on you can get for your vert is his remote top control. If you should decide to buy it, buy the version with the rear window controls added in.

The following users liked this post:
WhiteXKR (03-14-2017)
Old 03-13-2017, 07:56 PM
Veteran Member
Received 5,360 Likes on 3,174 Posts

WhiteXKR, maybe a space in there somewhere

The following 2 users liked this post by Cee Jay:
ralphwg (03-13-2017), WhiteXKR (03-14-2017)
Old 03-13-2017, 08:04 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,209 Likes on 915 Posts

Thanks Cee Jay. You are right on. Another sign of age. Oh well, the alternative is distinctly less attractive.

Old 03-14-2017, 09:31 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,985 Likes on 2,124 Posts

Originally Posted by DavidXK
2007 4.2 XK Hood will not close , message "Hood not latched ". I can hear the pump working .
I tried resetting procedure several times, same result .
Question do I wing the pump clockwise after the resetting procedure ?

any ideas
Yes, the pump valve must be turned fully clockwise after the top has been manually lowered.

Once you manually lower the hood, and attempt to close it, does the top move at all?

If not, try removing fuse F8 from the fusebox between the rear seats for 10 seconds, then re-sinsert the fuse. Then try the again to raise the top automatically from the manual reset stowed position. Be sure to continue to hold the button for at least 60 seconds, even if the top does not move initially or if it stalls. It may stall for a few seconds and then continue to move.

If it still does not work, report back.

Last edited by WhiteXKR; 03-14-2017 at 09:43 AM.
Adrian (08-21-2017)
Old 03-14-2017, 01:34 PM

I tried all these suggestions
After I pulled F8 for 10 seconds I tried the the close roof switch for 60 seconds,the tonneau panel raised about a half inch, When I rocked the switch it raised a little more, about 1 inch in total.
I tried to open the roof and tonneau panel closed and seemed to lock ,
I tried to close the roof but the tonneau panel only opened about half inch, the pump was running and it appeared like roof wanted to close .
I tried to open the roof , the tonneau panel lowered and locked,

the "hood not latched still displays" in the message centre

It looks like some progress
(All this came about because the the roofing opening was interrupted during opening , No problems before this)

Old 03-14-2017, 01:42 PM

Success,
I reread your message a few times
This stood out
"Be sure to continue to hold the button for at least 60 seconds, even if the top does not move initially or if it stalls. It may stall for a few seconds and then continue to move."and I think maybe I did not tighten the pump valve enough, I cane it another squeese
Roof works
Thanks
What is your website I would like to exchange a private message you

Old 03-14-2017, 01:46 PM
Veteran Member

I tried all these suggestions
After I pulled F8 for 10 seconds I tried the the close roof switch for 60 seconds,the tonneau panel raised about a half inch, When I rocked the switch it raised a little more, about 1 inch in total.
I tried to open the roof and tonneau panel closed and seemed to lock ,
I tried to close the roof but the tonneau panel only opened about half inch, the pump was running and it appeared like roof wanted to close .
I tried to open the roof , the tonneau panel lowered and locked,

the "hood not latched still displays" in the message centre

It looks like some progress
(All this came about because the the roofing opening was interrupted during opening , No problems before this)

OK, with the roof open and the tonneeu panel lowered and locked and the engine running:

-Reset the front windows by raising both windows and continuing to hold the window up buttons for 5 seconds after the windows reach full up. Then lower the windows and continue holding the window down buttons for 5 seconds after the windows reach full down.

-Repeat the above 3 times.

-Now try to close the roof. It should work this time.

TX Nigel (08-29-2017)
Old 03-14-2017, 01:58 PM
Veteran Member

Success,
I reread your message a few times
This stood out
"Be sure to continue to hold the button for at least 60 seconds, even if the top does not move initially or if it stalls. It may stall for a few seconds and then continue to move."and I think maybe I did not tighten the pump valve enough, I cane it another squeese
Roof works
Thanks
What is your website I would like to exchange a private message you
Glad you got it working!

Our messages crossed. If the top is no longer hesitating you are done. If it still hesitates, you need to run through the window reset sequence in my last message and that should fix the hesitation.

You can reach me here: Contact Us - TheJagWrangler

Old 03-14-2017, 02:08 PM

I send a message to your site,
Thanks

Old 03-14-2017, 03:44 PM
Veteran Member
Received 5,360 Likes on 3,174 Posts

Seriously, buy his Remote Top Control, coolest thing ever.

Old 03-14-2017, 04:35 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,975 Likes on 1,326 Posts

Absolutely the best mod you can make to any XK series convertible.

Old 08-29-2017, 06:18 PM
Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Thanks

What can I say guys, as always the data is here on this forum.
After suffering periodic loss of power steering, engine stalling when slowing down, intermittent CD operation etc. I decided I should have the battery checked/changed. Having done so, as you know, the electrical memories are lost. Vert top froze when I next tried to open it. Had to fight to get it manually down, but not officially locked. Got home, read this thread and voila, 20 seconds and problem solved.
So kudos to all that provide valuable information via this forum!

Old 03-14-2018, 06:50 PM
Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts
Thumbs up XK 2007 (XK150) Hood Not Latched Solved

So I had the same issue with a "Hood not Latched" message on my panel and the convertible top would only raise about 2" from its closed position. The rear windows would not go up either and I also noticed that the rear Tonneau cover would not latch. I could hear the pump working. I used the Allen Key and tried to reset the top moving back and forth with no success. I looked at the oil on the pump reservoir and it looks that the level is correct. I thought is was time for the dealer, but at $185 an hour I decided to go back and investigate further. I grabbed a flashlight and went through all the wiring and sensors of the convertible top, then I removed the back seats and I noticed on the bottom of the rear passenger side the sound insulation foam was wet with oil. I proceeded to look where it came from and looking down through the opening of the right rear window (which was down) I noticed more oil under the convertible top Main hydraulic cylinder (aluminum in color) (these cars have 5 convertible top hydraulic cylinders). I then realized that the seals were gone on the Hydraulic cylinder thus the leak and loss of pressure to lift the top. I looked at the other side of the convertible top (driver side) and also saw a small amount of hydraulic oil.

I then proceeded to remove all the rear seats and trim, side panels to access the convertible top mechanism, lifted it about 6 inches and was successful in removing the Hydraulic cylinders. The pressure lines are held with some metal brackets at the cylinder and this took a bit of figuring out. Once removed I went on-line to see if I could buy these cylinders.... and yes you can, at $1,000 USD each. Turns out that these units are assembled with low grade seals and their life expectancy is about 10 years. If bought at the dealer, you will have the same issue in 10 years (if I still have the car). I decided to research more and found TOP HYDRAULICS, INC out of Oregon. They rebuilt mine for about $350 for the pair and I had them back in Florida within 1 week. No matter what, replace in pairs as both will eventually fail. If I had gone to the dealer the labour plus the cost would have been $4K-$5K. This is an excerpt from Top Hydraulics website "The rod seals used for the cylinder rebuild/upgrade are far superior to the original ones in geometry, size and material choice.Top Hydraulics does not only replace the original seals, but precision-manufactures metal parts that accommodate our larger and much longer lasting seals. That is why our rebuilds are actually upgrades - we make your old cylinders better than new!"

I bought Mercedes 2Lt Hydraulic Fluid for Suspension and Convertibles on Amazon as its cheaper than the Jaguar brand and to spec. Top Hydraulics uses the same oil when testing all the new rebuilds.

BTW, I also discovered a small oil stain on the floor in front of the right rear wheel. This is also a tell sign of an oil leak. It will be noticeable if you just leave the car parked for an extended time after your top failed

I hope this helps anyone that might go through the same.

The following 4 users liked this post by John T:
jagtoes (03-14-2018), pwpacp (03-14-2018), ralphwg (03-14-2018), Stuart S (03-16-2018)
Old 03-17-2018, 03:32 AM
Received 57 Likes on 30 Posts

Another vote here for the remote roof opener. I’m in England but bought from a stockist here, who I also had fit it. For me electrical systems are a dark art.
I also went for the option that allows the rear windows to be raised after the top is lowered.
I drive all year round and the extra glass with a wind deflector makes a big difference.

Of course some might say that the pose factor of watching people hold their mouth open, near the car when you drop the top remotely whilst returning to it is great. I’m far too introverted to ever think that cough....

Old 03-17-2018, 10:36 AM
Veteran Member
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Cee Jay
Seriously, buy his Remote Top Control, coolest thing ever.
Originally Posted by kj07xk
Absolutely the best mod you can make to any XK series convertible.
Originally Posted by PsiFox
Another vote here for the remote roof opener. I’m in England but bought from a stockist here, who I also had fit it. For me electrical systems are a dark art.
I also went for the option that allows the rear windows to be raised after the top is lowered.
I drive all year round and the extra glass with a wind deflector makes a big difference.

Of course some might say that the pose factor of watching people hold their mouth open, near the car when you drop the top remotely whilst returning to it is great. I’m far too introverted to ever think that cough....
Thanks for all the recommendations as owners of the XK/XKR Remote Top with One Touch and Manual Rear Window control. It is really gratifying to hear how it is enjoyed by so many of you!

I recently had an article about the product published in the Jaguar Journal publication of the Jaguar Club of North America. I wrote a bit about the product and its development. You can find the article here: http://www.jcna.com/sites/default/fi...an-Feb2018.pdf starting on page 29. (Unfortunately they made an editing error on the cover and called the XK the XK8 ).

Cheers,
-Steve

Last edited by WhiteXKR; 03-17-2018 at 10:42 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by WhiteXKR:
Cee Jay (03-17-2018), PsiFox (03-17-2018), ralphwg (03-18-2018)
Old 03-17-2018, 05:45 PM
Received 57 Likes on 30 Posts

Anything new in the works for all of us late model run XKR owners?

Old 03-18-2018, 09:07 AM
Veteran Member

Sorry, next product is for the older X100. Gus (of www.Jagrepair.com) and I have conspired on a cool new diagnostic tool for the older models to help as they get on in years.