XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Convertible Roof and liner replacement help

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2021, 03:15 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Convertible Roof and liner replacement help

New to this or any forum. I have a 2008 XKR with just 51,000 Kms. It has been vandalized and the back window broken, requiring a whole new top and liner. Insurance is willing to pay for a replacement but no one seems able to find a top for it. Dealership says there is none in stock in North America and Factory has none.... and....the dealer indicates the Factory has no ETA of when they will have or if they will be manufacturing any. My auto body shop (also owned by dealer) says no third party part suppliers exist for such. As a result I am looking at a total loss situation....which I desperately don't want to get into as I lose $$$.

Also, talked to three independent upholstery shops and they say don't go with a 3rd party top, as you are likely to have a lot of problems with it. They say it is a big risk.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Old 06-10-2021, 04:38 PM
Received 59 Likes on 41 Posts

Donīt believe it. There should be several shops in GE alone.

Avoid any, that promises to reglue the original rear window.

Hermann

The following users liked this post:
guy (06-10-2021)
Old 06-10-2021, 04:45 PM
guy
Veteran Member
Received 1,125 Likes on 792 Posts

Google this: xk convertible top replacement
Or read this: https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...e-tops-185831/

All kinds of suppliers and any custom Autobody shop could do it.

Old 06-10-2021, 04:59 PM

Thank you for the reply! greatly appreciated.
Sorry I don't recognize "GE"....
Also if you know of any links to product suppliers I would appreciate such.

Old 06-11-2021, 07:27 AM
Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts

Hi,
I just had my top replaced with an EZon top, it has a life time window warranty. The shop I used sourced the top but you can look at topsonline.com. I would recommend the GAHH top with the A5 material.

Old 06-12-2021, 05:29 AM
Received 123 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by 08XKRCanadaEh
New to this or any forum. I have a 2008 XKR with just 51,000 Kms. It has been vandalized and the back window broken, requiring a whole new top and liner. Insurance is willing to pay for a replacement but no one seems able to find a top for it. Dealership says there is none in stock in North America and Factory has none.... and....the dealer indicates the Factory has no ETA of when they will have or if they will be manufacturing any. My auto body shop (also owned by dealer) says no third party part suppliers exist for such. As a result I am looking at a total loss situation....which I desperately don't want to get into as I lose $$$.

Also, talked to three independent upholstery shops and they say don't go with a 3rd party top, as you are likely to have a lot of problems with it. They say it is a big risk.

i had to get a replacement on mine check it out...

You see my jag with the red top on it?I bought mine from this company on ebay and it's legit OEM top too even tho he done went up on the price since i bought mine,but he don't have just red, He have other colors in stock as well and mine works better than the top that came with the car!AND you get a lifetime warranty as long as u don't vandalize it or nothing.Don't listen to those stupid shops cause they'll say anything to rip you off and take your money.1 shop was gone charge me $4,679 to put a replacement top on it.What i did was bought the top myself from ebay for $625(at the time it was for that price)and got it put on for $1,200 and the guy that put it on for me did an EXCELLENT job on it too and saved myself a whole $3,000+ dollars!I went to A1 tops in Greensboro, NC to get them to put it on.I wouldn't mind going to them again for all my needs if it happens again.So the shop that sells them on ebay is called "diamondmall" search them up.You can thank me later😎

Last edited by Barry Leftwich; 06-12-2021 at 05:38 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Barry Leftwich:
MCX (05-18-2023), Stuart S (11-28-2022)
Old 11-28-2022, 09:58 AM
Default RE: Convertible Roof and liner replacement help

I'm sorry to hear about the trouble you've been having. It sounds like you've been trying to find a replacement top for your XKR, but so far haven't had any luck.The first thing I would recommend doing is contacting Jaguar directly and asking if they have any information on when or if replacement tops will be available. They may be able to give you a better idea of what your options are.

If you're still having trouble finding a replacement top, you could try contacting a local upholstery shop to see if they would be willing to custom-make a top for you. This would likely be more expensive than buying a replacement top from Jaguar, but it may be your best option.

I hope this information is helpful.

Old 11-28-2022, 01:53 PM
Veteran Member
Received 6,321 Likes on 3,465 Posts

This, made in the USA:
https://gahh.com/jaguar-xk-xkr-2007-...onvertible-top

The GAHH price has gone up a lot! On second thought, I agree with Barry Leftwich and would buy this top on Ebay - it's less than half the cost of the GAHH top and Barry is very pleased with his. Contact the seller for shipping to Canada. Save thousands over what a dealer will charge you.

Jaguar X150 Replacement Top on Ebay

Last edited by Stuart S; 11-28-2022 at 02:20 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Stuart S:
Barry Leftwich (11-28-2022), Cee Jay (11-28-2022)
Old 11-28-2022, 03:43 PM

Yeah man,You better off buying it this way and getting it in a different color if you want to since you paying money for it and finding a good shop that will put it on for you around the price i had it put on.It's best to always go the route where somebody had experience doing it so that way you'll know what you getting yourself into where nothing goes wrong.I would still have this Jag,but unfortunately I had to trade my Jag in with red top for the 1 i have now all because somebody ran into the back of me and put a huge dent in the gas tank where it was reading fuel incorrectly where damages was repaired and didn't know the gas tank had the dent in time until after repairs were made and it start reading fuel incorrectly a few weeks later after repairs and the dealership said they'll charge me $4,000 to fix it🫠I traded it in for the 1 i have now with 15,000 less miles and they gave me $400 for the trade in even tho it was damaged with the gas tank dent and I guess the body work even after repairs looked very pristine cause I keep my stuff looking very nice with a new color added to it,I guess they believed I put a lot of money into it😎

Last edited by Barry Leftwich; 11-28-2022 at 04:10 PM.
Old 12-09-2022, 06:07 PM
Default Source

I don’t know if you have found a source for a new top. There is a place in CA that sells perfect duplicates of Jaguar convertible tops.

I don’t think we can mention a business in the forums. If you are still looking, message me.

Old 12-09-2022, 08:42 PM
Veteran Member
Received 6,321 Likes on 3,465 Posts

Originally Posted by docboz5750
I don’t know if you have found a source for a new top. There is a place in CA that sells perfect duplicates of Jaguar convertible tops.

I don’t think we can mention a business in the forums. If you are still looking, message me.
That's GAHH Automotive in North Hollywood, CA. See my Post #8, above, for the link to their website.

Old 12-12-2022, 05:58 AM
Received 27 Likes on 12 Posts

I just had my top replaced by a local convertible top company.
it was $2,500. They specialized in tops for all makes and models.

Old 12-12-2022, 04:15 PM
Received 250 Likes on 176 Posts

I think I used Topsonline to get mine, and replaced it myself. It isn't too hard of a job, just takes a while. You'll need some pop-rivets, and otherwise mostly just a screwdriver, drill and other regular tools. Plan on a weekend project. I didn't do the headliner, since it was in good shape. If I remember, it was about $850.

Last edited by 110reef; 12-12-2022 at 04:25 PM.
The following 7 users liked this post by 110reef:
Cee Jay (12-12-2022), fritzthecat (12-19-2022), kj07xk (12-12-2022), Marco (12-13-2022), ralphwg (12-17-2022), rsdmitch7 (04-22-2024), Stuart S (12-13-2022) and 2 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 12-19-2022, 07:42 AM
Received 100 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by 110reef
I think I used Topsonline to get mine, and replaced it myself. It isn't too hard of a job, just takes a while. You'll need some pop-rivets, and otherwise mostly just a screwdriver, drill and other regular tools. Plan on a weekend project. I didn't do the headliner, since it was in good shape. If I remember, it was about $850.
I’m impressed!!! I put a top on my ‘68 Chevelle years ago, but I’m not sure I would tackle a Jaguar top. Do you have pictures of the whole job, or a thread that describes what you did?

Old 12-27-2022, 08:19 PM
Received 250 Likes on 176 Posts

Originally Posted by fritzthecat
I’m impressed!!! I put a top on my ‘68 Chevelle years ago, but I’m not sure I would tackle a Jaguar top. Do you have pictures of the whole job, or a thread that describes what you did?
I just have those two pictures above, but I will say it is pretty straightforward. Take off the screws, drill out the rivets, then reverse the procedure. It takes a fair amount of time, but is pretty easy to do. The window is attached to the headliner with super strong heavy duty velcro, so you have to separate that, then mash it together again when putting back together. You'll have to pull out some weather stripping as you go, then put that back again. Can't think of any other issues while doing it.

Last edited by 110reef; 12-27-2022 at 08:23 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by 110reef:
MCX (01-30-2023), rsdmitch7 (04-22-2024)
Old 01-30-2023, 09:26 AM
MCX
Received 21 Likes on 6 Posts

Speaking of the top - has anyone had this pulling back/warping happen, and do you think it is fixable without a new top? Is it just normal wear from age (2008, 32k miles) ?
I just got the car and it's mossstly pristine, it's been kept in a garage every day of its life I think. I notice the back corner of the top is pulling slightly away from the edge.
I can push it down about 1/4" to where it is normal position, but I don't know way to secure it that way, so it slowly moves back to what you see here, about 1 cm at the top of the curve.
The window seal appears just fine.

As I got the car at a great deal from a family member, I didn't insist on anything, such as a top demonstration as you might do buying it from a stranger. My uncle said he's pretty sure it's been a year since they put it down and back up, so dis-use could perhaps have made it contract a bit. I know it should have a conditioner of some type on it regularly, but I don't think they would have done that.
To be honest, I'm afraid enough that the top might not go up that I was thinking of waiting a month or two for warmer temps in case it gets stuck down. That's probably irrational fear, but it's my only concern right now and I just got it inspected and can get the plates, so I am not wanting to risk a surprise.

Appreciate any help!
Thanks
MC

Old 01-30-2023, 04:32 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,988 Likes on 2,125 Posts

Underneath the raised area is a plastic lip that is clamped between two metal pieces. You need to stop the top with the glass vertical to release tension and then loosen some of the small screws underneath to slip it back in and then retighten. If the plastic lip is cracked, however, this may not hold. This appears to be a replaced aftermarket top. The original did not have stiches around the glass.

You may need to reset the top manually after this procedure, per the owners manual.

The following 3 users liked this post by WhiteXKR:
Cee Jay (02-05-2023), kj07xk (01-30-2023), MCX (01-31-2023)
Old 01-31-2023, 05:58 AM
MCX
Received 21 Likes on 6 Posts

Appreciate this info @WhiteXKR - Thank you!

Old 01-31-2023, 07:13 AM

Originally Posted by 08XKRCanadaEh

Mannnn you better order you a convertible top off ebay like i did!They be OEM too!Letting those fools lie to you like that when they don't want to see you having a nice Jaguar XK.You know they don't come in red like mine and This top only costed me $600 but i think they went up a little now to like $800.Costed about $1,200 to get it put on and I got it put on at A-1 auto trim shop in Greensboro,NC.If it's made in good quality means it's built to last if you get the right people that's willing to fix it for you as long as it's the right top you trying to put on it

Last edited by Barry Leftwich; 01-31-2023 at 07:23 AM.
Old 01-31-2023, 11:08 AM
Received 121 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Barry Leftwich
i had to get a replacement on mine check it out...

You see my jag with the red top on it?I bought mine from this company on ebay and it's legit OEM top too even tho he done went up on the price since i bought mine,but he don't have just red, He have other colors in stock as well and mine works better than the top that came with the car!AND you get a lifetime warranty as long as u don't vandalize it or nothing.Don't listen to those stupid shops cause they'll say anything to rip you off and take your money.1 shop was gone charge me $4,679 to put a replacement top on it.What i did was bought the top myself from ebay for $625(at the time it was for that price)and got it put on for $1,200 and the guy that put it on for me did an EXCELLENT job on it too and saved myself a whole $3,000+ dollars!I went to A1 tops in Greensboro, NC to get them to put it on.I wouldn't mind going to them again for all my needs if it happens again.So the shop that sells them on ebay is called "diamondmall" search them up.You can thank me later😎
Barry, that looks great on your car! Love the red/burgundy on black.

Anyone else with other experiences/longer term reviews with the "Diamond Mall" tops? My top isn't leaking but there are problems with it that make me want to replace it (Rear window poorly repaired/buffets at speed). According to service records this is the second top for this car so I'm not worried about ruining originality

Quick Reply: Convertible Roof and liner replacement help