XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Convertible Top detail

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2014, 08:07 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,236 Likes on 789 Posts

Originally Posted by mgaffney
I have an 84 convertible that has the original top that I've done absolutely nothing with for 15 years besides keep it out of the sun which is done by driving with the top down and leaving it in the garage when not in use. The top looks more or less like new.
Great that your top has held up well. Fortunately, you do not live in an area of intense sun and heat.

May I suggest:

Use the 303 High Tech Fabric Guard on your top. For under $20.00, the top will be re-conditioned, look like it was just put on, and will repel both dirt and water.

You will be glad you used this product.

Old 03-11-2014, 11:43 PM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by SWT
Thanks Richard and Knomad: I keep the car in the garage the majority of the time but would like to bring it work from time to time (with no sun shade at all).

My bottle of 303 fabric guard should arrive soon and will try it out. I've got a boat also, Knomad, with a sunbrella fabric cover, I guess I can kill two birds with one stone with the product.

Also wanted to ask you guys about getting the 303 on the paint or windows. Everyone seems to indicate that is BAD! What would happen if it does get on them?

Thanks again for all the help and information on this topic.

Steve
Steve, I've applied the 303 fabric guard to my and my wife's tops several times over the last few years...previously used Raggtop, but switched as I felt this lasted longer and was easier to apply than the Raggtop aerosol can. Until recently, I followed Richzak's referenced method of taping and covering (roll of masking paper) then wiping up any leaks. Never saw a problem after cleaning the leaks off the paint or glass, and I was getting better at controlling the pump spray. I'm planning on switching to the paintbrush or roller method next time as I think I can reduce the masking and cleanup work.

Definitely beads water, looks nice and new, easier to clean, and even seems to bead some of the small bird drips so they're easier to remove.

Take your time, watch for the leaks, wipe them off, you'll be fine.

CT

Last edited by ct6978; 03-11-2014 at 11:46 PM.
Old 03-12-2014, 03:10 AM
Received 46 Likes on 31 Posts

Thanks for the brush application idea. I had been spraying mine on and it was hard to get an even coating on the top. Never crossed my mind to brush it on.

Old 03-16-2014, 07:15 PM
SWT
Received 13 Likes on 4 Posts

Hello All:

Just finished following Richzak's procedure for treating the convertible top with the 303 waterproofer. Taping the widows and doors definitely helped and only took a few minutes. I washed the top thoroughly and let it dry. I pulled the car in the garage to brush on the 303 and started applying it. It soaked in nearly immediately making it difficult to really spread it very much but I got a nice even coat all the way around the edges, about 6 - 8 inches, then I just sprayed it out of the bottle (sorry Rich). Still got a nice even coating. Let it dry overnight and this morning it looks great, if not perhaps a little darker than before. I think the top was beginning to fade maybe and this darkened it up a bit. Haven't sprayed water on it yet as to avoid having to hand dry the whole car again. All in all, straight forward job following Rich's advice and am very pleased with the results. Will see what happens the next time it rains here in El Paso... Which is NEVER, or when I wash it next, which will probably be tomorrow, again ;-).

Thanks to Richzak's and Nomad for the great advice.

Steve

PS: got her up to 90 on a dark desert highway today with the top down...WOW, I love this car!

Old 03-16-2014, 07:33 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,236 Likes on 789 Posts

Originally Posted by SWT
Hello All:

Just finished following Richzak's procedure for treating the convertible top with the 303 waterproofer. Taping the widows and doors definitely helped and only took a few minutes. I washed the top thoroughly and let it dry. I pulled the car in the garage to brush on the 303 and started applying it. It soaked in nearly immediately making it difficult to really spread it very much but I got a nice even coat all the way around the edges, about 6 - 8 inches, then I just sprayed it out of the bottle (sorry Rich). Still got a nice even coating. Let it dry overnight and this morning it looks great, if not perhaps a little darker than before. I think the top was beginning to fade maybe and this darkened it up a bit. Haven't sprayed water on it yet as to avoid having to hand dry the whole car again. All in all, straight forward job following Rich's advice and am very pleased with the results. Will see what happens the next time it rains here in El Paso... Which is NEVER, or when I wash it next, which will probably be tomorrow, again ;-).

Thanks to Richzak's and Nomad for the great advice.

Steve

PS: got her up to 90 on a dark desert highway today with the top down...WOW, I love this car!
Thanks Steve........wait to you wash it.......you will be amazed and you will smile for sure.

Old 11-06-2016, 06:23 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I bought the Rapptop cleaner and applied it to a dark stain between the quarter panel window and the rear panel window. That was a big mistake. While it did a pretty good job on the dark stain, now I have a water stain 2 to 3 inches above where the top meets the body. Evidently, the whole top has to be done at one time; not just a small area.

Any ideas on how to get the water stains out. Now I'm thinking about having the whole top stained a darker brown to match the gold color of the body.

Marvin
Bakersfield, CA