XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Convertible top help please

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2024, 04:46 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Convertible top help please

Recently purchased 2007 XKR Convertible in Ft. Worth. Drove it to Colorado. Beautiful day, decided to drop the top. Windows went down, top says it unlatched, but nothing else.

The top not coming down can be all sorts of things, but now the top will not "latch" and the quarter windows will not roll up.

Im in Grand Jct., CO and Jaguar isn't anywhere near.

I just want it to recognize the top is latched and roll up the windows.

AJ
2007 XKR Convertible

Last edited by Sluggo; 05-30-2024 at 12:23 PM.
Old 05-29-2024, 07:43 PM
Veteran Member
Received 5,360 Likes on 3,174 Posts

A couple first-things;
Are the windows programmed full-up full-down?
Is the luggage separator in the boot fully installed and pulled to the rear and up?

If those are all good, they you have to do a Manual Top Reset which is outlined in the user manual.

Old 05-30-2024, 01:00 AM

Originally Posted by Cee Jay
A couple first-things;
Are the windows programmed full-up full-down?
Is the luggage separator in the boot fully installed and pulled to the rear and up?

If those are all good, they you have to do a Manual Top Reset which is outlined in the user manual.

Thank you.

I will try to do the windows again in the morning. The luggage separator is correct.

As far as doing the Manual Top Reset, I dont see how it is possible. The top hasn't moved and it doesn't appear that it ever unlatched. Everything is see in the manual shows the top partially open already. I'll look at it again. Maybe I'm missing something?

Old 05-30-2024, 09:19 AM
Veteran Member

You may have missed page 121, the hex key that disengages the pump also disengages/engages the front support latches. Do opposite of this part to release. It takes many rotations to operate, so don't stop halfway.

Old 05-30-2024, 10:48 AM
Veteran Member
Received 6,285 Likes on 3,449 Posts

Read these threads, particularly those from Forum member @WhiteXKR , that's Steve, aka The Jag Wrangler. He's the Forum guru on all things pertaining to the convertible top. If your car doesn't already have his remote control kit, I strongly recommend that you buy it. It's what the factory forgot. Lots of happy customers customers here.

First thing is to make sure that your battery is fully charged. A lot can go wrong if it isn't. You might get lucky simply by holding the overhead switch down for a longer time.

Convertible Top Reset 1

I Convertible top reset 2

Good luck

Old 05-30-2024, 01:16 PM

Originally Posted by Stuart S
Read these threads, particularly those from Forum member @WhiteXKR , that's Steve, aka The Jag Wrangler. He's the Forum guru on all things pertaining to the convertible top. If your car doesn't already have his remote control kit, I strongly recommend that you buy it. It's what the factory forgot. Lots of happy customers customers here.

First thing is to make sure that your battery is fully charged. A lot can go wrong if it isn't. You might get lucky simply by holding the overhead switch down for a longer time.

Convertible Top Reset 1

I Convertible top reset 2

Good luck

Thank you, I should have started with saying I've read through those posts. I definitely will get ahold of @WhiteXKR to get the module for the top.

Thank you. Unfortunately, I haven't made any progress with the windows.

Old 05-31-2024, 10:57 AM

Unfortunately, things have only got worse. I went trought the process to reset the roof and it will not close now.

It stops at "position 1" as the manual refers to it.

I've unhooked the battery, reset the windows, reset the roof, and it still doesn't work.

At worst, I need to find a way to manually close the top so I can drive the car to a competent mechanic.

I am currently in Grand Junction, CO.

Old 05-31-2024, 12:40 PM
Veteran Member

Sometimes the hinge above the side windows bind in a weird way. There are pictures in some thread somewhere, but a pin fails to align with a slot at the hinge. I can't remember the fix, but mine did this once and it wasn't a horribly difficult thing to remedy.

Old 05-31-2024, 12:43 PM
Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

Just be sure that once you release the pressure in pump and trying closing the top —— you wait a few minutes and not try to force the top closed… it will break components including pistons/seals by forcing it.

The following 2 users liked this post by myexcursion:
Cee Jay (05-31-2024), ralphwg (06-01-2024)
Old 05-31-2024, 01:11 PM

Originally Posted by myexcursion
Just be sure that once you release the pressure in pump and trying closing the top —— you wait a few minutes and not try to force the top closed… it will break components including pistons/seals by forcing it.
Agreed. I dont need to make things worse.

Old 06-01-2024, 12:33 AM
Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

I posted a thread about my similar experience the other day, after having my battery die. Same situation--and I couldn't get the tonneau to latch over the top once in the well, until I re-seated the luggage separator. Take it out and put it back to make sure it's home. I also had a few frustrations, in that the tonneau cover wouldn't move in the up position. I think it stays put under certain circumstances, and then drops (at the most inconvenient time). Pulling the cord (which was hard to locate as it had moved out of the position shown in manual when I'd had work done on the top) is also sometimes necessary--it apparently resets itself once you move it. Finally the tonneau closed and latched, but wouldn't raise. Then after a couple of attempts, and it having sat for a few minutes, I twisted the wrench in the hydraulic pump one and a half turns from the fully clockwise position, then back. Then it worked fine. Re-setting the windows so they go down automatically at one touch, is also a key step. If both driver and passenger windows aren't seated, the top's not going to raise. Good luck, and let us know what happened.

The following 2 users liked this post by WestCoastCat:
bgpenguin21 (07-09-2024), MCX (07-09-2024)
Old 06-01-2024, 01:11 AM
Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

P.S.: I think you should re-do the manual reset procedure. I did it twice, and in addition I pulled the fuse and re-installed it. I believe as has been stated, the computer sees the top in the well as a "safe" place to start, so it has to realize it's there.

Old 07-09-2024, 02:06 AM
MCX
Received 21 Likes on 6 Posts

Checking in on you my fellow vert owner - hope you had some resolution.