XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Convertible top issues

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2020 | 01:57 PM
|
Default Convertible top issues

I believe I have a unique problem that isn't already addressed on this forum (sure, that's what they all say right??).

I opened the convertible top on my '09 XK today to see if I could find the drain holes to ensure they're clear. While I was inspecting everything with the ignition off I walked inside my garage for a minute or two only to come out and find that the tonneau cover moved from a half open position to a fully closed position and the top itself moved from a half open position to an almost closed position (about 5 inches from the windshield).

I followed the manual reset instructions in the owners manual by using the allen key in the trunk key hole (one counterclockwise turn) as well as in the roof key hole (clockwise tighten until roof locks) while applying gentle pressure on the top of the roof with my hand to push it down. The roof is definitely locked and sealed but the warning message still comes on, the back windows won't go up or down and the top will not open or close with the switch. I never reopened the tonneau cover during this process since it was already closed.

Can anyone shed any light on why this happened in the first place and how to properly reset everything so my top is functioning again? I never realized I'd have to do a manual reset on the top because I stopped the opening process mid-stream. The owner's manual only warns against pressing the start/stop engine button while opening the roof. I didn't see anything in there about having to reset the top manually if one stops mid-way through the automatic opening process. Maybe I missed that???

Thanks.

Old 11-29-2020 | 02:28 PM
Veteran Member

If you leave the car with the top midstream between open and closed after a few moments hydraulic pressure will be lost and and the top will move just as you described. At this point the mechanical system and the electronic system become out of sync.

The system must be reset to restore synchronization. To reset the top it must be manually placed in the full down position and manually stowed under tonneau. Closing and latching the top like you did will not reset it,.

Old 11-29-2020 | 03:13 PM
|

Originally Posted by WhiteXKR
If you leave the car with the top midstream between open and closed after a few moments hydraulic pressure will be lost and and the top will move just as you described. At this point the mechanical system and the electronic system become out of sync.

The system must be reset to restore synchronization. To reset the top it must be manually placed in the full down position and manually stowed under tonneau. Closing and latching the top like you did will not reset it,.
Thanks. I did go back and manually place the top in the full down position and then manually placed it back into the closed position. Something tells me I shouldn't have done that second step?? It wouldn't close automatically when it was fully down which is why I manually closed it. I'm back where I was before - top is manually latched, message reads "convertible top not latched", back windows still down and top won't open with the switch.

Old 11-29-2020 | 06:38 PM
Veteran Member

See this old thread from 2014, particularly WhiteXKR's comments:
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...earned-130852/

Good luck!

Old 11-29-2020 | 06:57 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Glide63
Thanks. I did go back and manually place the top in the full down position and then manually placed it back into the closed position. Something tells me I shouldn't have done that second step?? It wouldn't close automatically when it was fully down which is why I manually closed it. I'm back where I was before - top is manually latched, message reads "convertible top not latched", back windows still down and top won't open with the switch.
Right, you should not have done the second step. It must close under its own power after you manually put the top down and you must stow it under the tonneau manually for it to reset properly..

The following users liked this post:
cstanard (12-03-2020)
Old 11-29-2020 | 09:06 PM
Veteran Member

Glide 63, you have heard from the X150 convertible top expert. Follow his advice precisely and your top issues should be solved. l After they are solved then buy WhiteXKR's romote top system. It is probably the best single accessory you can add to your vert. You can find it along with a video at TheJagWrangler - Home - About Us.

Old 11-29-2020 | 09:42 PM
|

Originally Posted by ralphwg
Glide 63, you have heard from the X150 convertible top expert. Follow his advice precisely and your top issues should be solved. l After they are solved then buy WhiteXKR's romote top system. It is probably the best single accessory you can add to your vert. You can find it along with a video at TheJagWrangler - Home - About Us.
Thank you. But can anyone explain why the top would not close via the switch when I initially put the top down manually AND stored it under the tonneau? I followed the instructions in the manual to the letter. The one thing I do recall is the tonneau cover came down gently to rest in the closed position but it seemed like it was off just a fraction of an inch. I didn't want to push it down any more or try and force it.
At this point it sounds like I need to begin the whole process over again by manually opening the top.

Old 11-29-2020 | 09:48 PM
Veteran Member

The tonneau should be pressed down very firmly as far as you can get it. If it will not go all the way down give the hydraulics 10 minutes to depressurize and try again.

This is normally not necessary, but if it still is not flush and will not trigger, have someone press it down as you try to operate the top with the button (they should let go as soon as it begins to open automatically).

Last edited by WhiteXKR; 11-30-2020 at 06:21 AM.
Old 11-29-2020 | 09:50 PM
|

Originally Posted by WhiteXKR
The tonneau should be pressed down very firmly as far as you can get it. If it will not go all the way down give the hydraulics 10 minutes to depressurize and try again. If it still not flush and will not trigger, have someone press it down as you try to operate the top with the button (they should let go as soon as it begins to open automatically).
Thanks I'll give that a try.

Old 12-03-2020 | 09:23 AM
|

Thanks I'll give that a try.
The manu reset worked, as outlined above. Thank you again!

So back to my original issue: how does one inspect the drain holes (where exactly are they?) and lubricate the appropriate areas of the top without having to go through a manual reset?

Old 12-03-2020 | 12:08 PM
Veteran Member

So back to my original issue: how does one inspect the drain holes (where exactly are they?) and lubricate the appropriate areas of the top without having to go through a manual reset?
Glad to hear. You need to do it in 2-3 minute intervals at a time. Once more that this time elapses, you should let the top complete the cycle before pressure is lost.

Old 07-17-2022 | 09:13 PM
Wink

Glide, Anyone get back to you on getting in the cover area for cleaning?

Old 07-18-2022 | 07:52 AM
|
Unhappy

Originally Posted by carlucci9
Glide, Anyone get back to you on getting in the cover area for cleaning?
Other than WhiteXKR, not really. I haven't lubricated the hinges, etc. since I bought the car in November 2020 but I plan to do that this fall by opening and closing the top a few times and getting in there real quickly during the cycles. I'll need the wife's help but I don't see any alternative options at this point.

Old 07-18-2022 | 08:01 AM

Good Luck @Glide63 , be quick and don't loose a finger!

The following users liked this post:
Glide63 (07-18-2022)