XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Convertible top not latched

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2021, 05:15 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Convertible top not latched

2007 Jaguar XK

I recently replaced rebuilt cylinders on my convertable top all five. previously I had unlatched the toneau with the pull switch. after that the not latched display was on in the dash. Now after rebuilding all five cylinders, because the main lift cylinder on the passenger side leaked out. The top was placed in the open top position. the tonneau was still unlatched. I started the close top cycle but the tonneau tried to open after a few minutes but never got over an inch or two. the pump is running like it is working but I have no real movement.

Am I wrong in thinking the pump is Bad or the cylinder lines are blocked or is their another function I should try??

Last edited by GGG; 07-12-2021 at 09:04 AM.
Old 07-12-2021, 08:34 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,988 Likes on 2,125 Posts

-First reset the front windows.
-Then make sure the fluid level is correct.
-Then try to raise the top again a few times. There may be air in the system that takes time to bleed out. Do not let the pump run too long at any one time though or it could overheat.
-If it still is not working check that there is no fluid leaking.
-If still not working and no leaks check that you did not reverse any cylinder pressure and return lines upon reassembly.

The following 3 users liked this post by WhiteXKR:
GGG (07-12-2021), JackJohn (07-12-2021), Stuart S (07-12-2021)
Old 04-07-2023, 01:05 PM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default The top growls when trying to open

HI everyone, great forum, I need some help if anyone has experienced this.

First, 2007 Jag XKR, 90,000 miles. very well maintained. Everything was working yesterday, and this am when I went to put the top down, it growled very loud. Reversed and made sure it was latched, did the window thing, even disconnected battery just in case it was a stuck code. Still same issue. Does anyone have knowledge on what to do, I am affraid to keep trying it as it really sounds like gears in the release mechanism above the rearview mirror grinding. Thanks for your help.

Old 04-07-2023, 02:02 PM
Received 461 Likes on 301 Posts

I don't know if the XK has a allen key which can be used to manually operate the latching mechanism but, if it has, I would release the pressure tap on the pump and try to gently operate the mechanism with the allen key. If it doesn't operate smoothly then something is broken or become misaligned and you will need to remove the trim above the windscreen and examine the mechanism. This is based on my experience with my XK8 so I'm assuming that the XK is similar.

EDIT - Post below explains that the XK uses an electric top rather than hydraulic so ignore most of the above. The part about removing the trim above the window is probably the only applicable part.

Richard

Last edited by RichardS; 04-07-2023 at 02:35 PM.
Old 04-07-2023, 02:05 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,988 Likes on 2,125 Posts

Probably worn gears in the latch motor gearbox. Several options for repair from $1000s down to $10. This is an electric motor (unlike the older XK8 hydraulics).
See this entire thread: https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...-motor-185400/

Old 04-07-2023, 02:14 PM
Received 203 Likes on 143 Posts

Sorry to hear about the top. This is a great place to ask questions and get useful answers. Hope you can solve the problem.

How often do these tops have issues like this? I own an 07 XKR and also an 06 XK8. The XK8 series is famous for expensive to fix top problems. Are the XK tops generally more reliable w/ casual use? Having it fully retract is great.

Old 04-07-2023, 02:40 PM
Default Top issues with XKR 2007

The only issue i have had (up till todays) was resolved with the window up and down reset combination AND replacing battery. Today is different and i appreciate the advice, i am starting to run down the issue and will keep track of it and what i needed to do to fix it. Just got to remember, this is a hobby and it is boring when everything works all the time.

Old 04-07-2023, 02:41 PM

Wow! was this helpful. Thank you

DefaultProbably worn gears in the latch motor gearbox. Several options for repair from $1000s down to $10. This is an electric motor (unlike the older XK8 hydraulics).
See this entire thread: https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...-motor-185400/

2001 XKR White Onyx, Mina Exhaust, Nameless Cats, +3 PSI Supercharger Pulley, Video Gauge Display + Garmin GVN53 nav. w/XM radio, Key Fob Remote Control Convertible Top, RealGauge
2003 S-type 4.2 Quartz
2007 XK Conv.

Old 04-07-2023, 03:22 PM

Hey all found another really good thread for this issue.

#1 Report Post
Old 08-04-2022, 02:38 PM
sailfish
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Groaning Convertible Top Latches - An AnswerI've been searching the forum for an answer to my problem, but found nothing definitive. I did learn that all roads dealing with Jag convertible tops lead to Steve thejagwrangler, so I reached out to him directly. Below is my question and his response. Hope it's helpful to others. If anyone else has experience with this problem, would love to hear from you.

Question:
Wren my top begins the unlatching, or latching phase of opening/closing, there is a painful groaning noise. With the vehicle new to me, I brought it to the Jag dealer for an inspection. They said the latches need to be replaced, to the tune of about $3,000!
I read a post on the forum from a member who said grease solved the problem, but there was no further input from anyone else. Local mechanics I spoke to said that as long as you have them out, you might as well replace them. The best price I have found on parts is about $1,300 and I’ll still need to have someone install them.
The car is 9 years old with 37,000 miles, and it seems that only one person on the forum has addressed this, so I’m trying to chase it down.

Steve's Response:It certainly would not hurt to spray a little light lube on the latches. If you remove the header trim panel you can lube the other moving parts too. It is though likely a problem with the convertible top latch motor assembly. Removal and installation is on page 2786 and 2787 of the service manual and can be downloaded from here: http://jagrepair.com/images/AutoRepa...XKworkshop.pdf .

I would recommend getting a used one to save money, since these really do not fail all that often.

Here is a used unit currently on eBay: https://www.ebay.com/itm/16477846711...YAAOSwvPdgWssi

Old 06-17-2023, 05:29 PM
Default Lessoned learned to share and questions for experts

So it was the Gear totally smashed I will add pictures here. I tried the inexpensive gears to replace it unfortunately, they did not work which left me with the option of new oem. There were only 2 in the US at the time and they were, expensive total installed about $2,300.00 usd. This did fix the issue and the growling is gone, way better than it ever sounded since i purchased the car.

BUT here is what I learned that all of us need to be aware of. An expert told me that most of the time these gears break is when the cylinders are bad or going bad. This would be indicated by the top taking longer to open from full close and latch. I have been seeking data on what the oem time was to open and have not been able to find this data. BUT, I found a video on-line from the original advertising of the car
and timed the full closed to open and latched to be about 16.6 seconds. So to me this would lead to the conclusion that if it is longer than that there may be a problem. Can anyone confirm this for me and does anyone know how long it should take in optimum condition? My fear is fixing the gear is a temporary fix and not addressing the real problem will lead to another broken gear and another omg, motor replacement ($2,300).

Question 1. what is the time that it should take for the top to go from completely open to completely closed and latched, windows up and the bing noise is heard?
Question 2. Is there an easy way to determine if the cylinders are worn and need rebuild or replace before they become an issue of greater proportion?

thanks, everyone for your help, I really wish the inexpensive Bosch gears would have worked but they did not fit the 2007 XKR motor.

Originally Posted by Jonesjag
HI everyone, great forum, I need some help if anyone has experienced this.

First, 2007 Jag XKR, 90,000 miles. very well maintained. Everything was working yesterday, and this am when I went to put the top down, it growled very loud. Reversed and made sure it was latched, did the window thing, even disconnected battery just in case it was a stuck code. Still same issue. Does anyone have knowledge on what to do, I am affraid to keep trying it as it really sounds like gears in the release mechanism above the rearview mirror grinding. Thanks for your help.

The following users liked this post:
McJag222 (06-17-2023)
Old 06-18-2023, 11:33 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,211 Likes on 917 Posts

My understanding is that the timing cycle for both opening and closing including the windows up or down is 18 seconds. I am now on my third XK/XKR having put more than 200k miles on them in total and having put the tops up and down hundreds of time and I have never had an issue like you describe. Jaguar advises that the top can be be put up or down if you are moving at a speed of less than 15 MPH. My guess is that a prior owner manipulated the top mechanism many times while the car was moving at 10 MPH+ putting a strain on everything and the gears just got mashed up.

The following users liked this post:
gmuirnz (06-22-2023)