XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Convertible top not latched

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2011, 07:21 PM
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Convertible top not latched

Recently , my battery was fully discharged and I needed to jump start my 07 xk. My first time using the car, the info screen wouldn't move from the leaper screen, and I thought ' no big deal, it will return next time I start the car . And it did. But when I stopped , I attempted to close the convertible top and it closed all the way until it was just about to latch , then it stopped.

I played with it a while , came back out and by pulling down slightly on the top, the latch engaged and it closed , but the rear windows stayed down.

I left it that way just to get it home and once home , I tried it again, The top unlatched and now sits approximately 1-2 inches open .

When I try the open/close switch , all I get is a chime , then the message
'Convertible top not latched'

All ideas are appreciated !!

Thanks

Jerry

Old 04-10-2011, 07:53 AM
Received 46 Likes on 31 Posts

Jerry, look in your owner's manual about resetting the top manually. Or look on here for a post about it. I think that's what you need to do to correct it and then it should work normally.

Old 04-10-2011, 04:57 PM

Thanks, That was going to my next move , although by pulling it slightly , I was successful closing it before. Now that doesn't work either
But I figured I needed to close it before I could bring it anywhere so I went out this afternoon, pulled the cover between the rear seats and .... no wrench

I hope the dealer keeps them in stock , God knows what they will charge for it

Old 04-10-2011, 05:13 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Jerry,

I had the same issue with my '02 XK8. Not sure if your '07 is close but this is what I found......The closing "sequence" (for a lack of better terminology) was off. I fixed it by:
  • opening the top all the way (had to bypass the pump and manually open the top)
  • using an Allen key, manually opening the roof latch, which was in the locked, or closed position. There is a 1/4" plug that covers the manual release that the Allen key fits in. Rotate clockwise until the latch is in the open position.
  • Disengage the pump bypass
  • Close top until it latches and rear windows are all the way up.

Again, not sure if this applies to an '07 but thought it might help....

Old 04-10-2011, 05:14 PM
Gus
Veteran Member
Received 2,213 Likes on 1,702 Posts

Originally Posted by jimi727
Recently , my battery was fully discharged and I needed to jump start my 07 xk. My first time using the car, the info screen wouldn't move from the leaper screen, and I thought ' no big deal, it will return next time I start the car . And it did. But when I stopped , I attempted to close the convertible top and it closed all the way until it was just about to latch , then it stopped.

I played with it a while , came back out and by pulling down slightly on the top, the latch engaged and it closed , but the rear windows stayed down.

I left it that way just to get it home and once home , I tried it again, The top unlatched and now sits approximately 1-2 inches open .

When I try the open/close switch , all I get is a chime , then the message
'Convertible top not latched'

Thanks

Jerry
I will try to help but I need to understand the situation. Were you trying to operate the roof on a weak battery? Was the car running and was the battery fully charged when you attempted to close/open the roof? Have you checked the fluid level in the tank and have you checked the petcock on the pump to see if it worked its way open?

Old 04-10-2011, 06:41 PM

Originally Posted by Gus
I will try to help but I need to understand the situation. Were you trying to operate the roof on a weak battery? Was the car running and was the battery fully charged when you attempted to close/open the roof? Have you checked the fluid level in the tank and have you checked the petcock on the pump to see if it worked its way open?
While the battery had recently been run down, I was attempting to close the top after a ride of 45 min, while the engine was still running ( I never operate the top with the engine off)

I havent checked the fluid levels, mainly because it stopped working when the top was literally one inch from reaching the position where the electric latch would pull it closed

My feeling was that is was more of electrical in nature , rather than hydraulic, but that was only a feeling , no evidence of that

Old 04-10-2011, 07:32 PM
Gus
Veteran Member

You may be correct but the system does some strange things. I am going to attach a few links that might help you identify the problem.
Link: http://www.gusglikas.com/images/Auto...atchRepair.pdf
Link: Hyd Roof Operation
Link: Body
Also check your PM I hope this helps!

The following users liked this post:
Sunrayho (10-25-2016)
Old 04-12-2011, 05:33 PM
Gus
Veteran Member

We recently had 2 posts regarding the roof not latching and the windows not closing. I have not had much experience with the XK but have done a great deal of work on the XK8/R convertible top. I knew that the XK had a different system so I placed a few phone calls to get a handle on what is taking place. What I found out is that a low voltage battery is the primary cause of the roof not latching properly, the other was not holding the button long enough. I was also told that the roof should be operated when the engine is running. Now to fix the problem, I was told to have the engine running and hold the close button. Now this could take up to 3 min for the latch to close and the windows up. If the windows do not close, open the roof then close it again. The key to it is for you to continue pushing the roof button until the roof has completed its operation (with the engine on). You do have a hydraulic pump in the back but the roof latch is electric. I was told that the electrical function of the roof will reset itself to correct an improper sequence of operation.

Christopher Mayers (07-14-2020)
Old 04-12-2011, 07:57 PM

Success!!! Actually all I did was follow the instructions i n the manual to reset the top. I took my bag of allen wrenches and found a US size that fit the pump and manually closed the top.

Then when I tried it it was kinda slow and the passenger window wouldnt close, but I opened it and closed it a second time and everything seems to be working just fine

Gus , again, thanks for all of your help!!

Jerry

Tony Vasquez (02-27-2022)
Old 04-13-2011, 06:41 AM
Received 46 Likes on 31 Posts

There's a wealth of knowledge in the owner's manual. All you have to do is look. Glad that fixed it.

Old 03-28-2014, 09:40 PM
Received 44 Likes on 16 Posts

Just had the same problem with my roof (2012 XKR-S) after a complete battery drain. Tried all of the suggested actions (holding the switch for several minutes, manually opening the roof, etc) and nothing worked. Notably when I pressed the switch, nothing happened (no chime, no information system alert) and the rear quarter windows didn't open either. It was as if a fuse was out (it wasn't, I checked that). After an hour of trying everything, I disconnected the battery (negative terminal) for about half an hour, reconnected it, went through the parking brake and window reset, and miraculously the roof just worked again!

If this happens to anyone else, I would try the battery disconnect first as it's much easier than the manual roof reset process in my opinion!

Buzzer (04-24-2020)
Old 05-24-2015, 09:37 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Windows

[QUOTE=jimi727;334439]Recently , my battery was fully discharged and I needed to jump start my 07 xk. My first time using the car, the info screen wouldn't move from the leaper screen, and I thought ' no big deal, it will return next time I start the car . And it did. But when I stopped , I attempted to close the convertible top and it closed all the way until it was just about to latch , then it stopped.

When I try the open/close switch , all I

Thanks
Top up can't get rear windows up

Old 05-24-2015, 09:46 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,988 Likes on 2,125 Posts

[QUOTE=rolexslk2007;1235407]
Originally Posted by jimi727

When I try the open/close switch , all I

Thanks
Top up can't get rear windows up

Unless you drive for a couple of hours, the jump start will not put enough charge in the battery for reliable operation of an XK, so first you will want to fully charge your battery.

Once the battery is fully charged, try pulling fuse F8 between the rear seats, and then reinserting it. Then reset the front windows as described in the owner's guide. That may restore top operation.

If it does not, you will need to follow the manual top reset directions in the owner's guide.

Old 04-14-2016, 07:44 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 1997 Jaguar xk8 Convetible top latch not resonding putting top up nor the rear window

I thought I was going to have a heart attach..
I recently purchased the 1997 Jaguar xk8 convertible. I was giving my niece a ride home from our son's soccer practice for the first time.. When arriving home, I attempted to put the top up. Doing so, I heard and noticed top latch closing before the top striker engaged to close the roof. I had no top power, the light was signaling the top was not closed. "Nothing".. I was about to have a heart attach at age 57... . I tried lifting the top up by hand to see the latch assembly, the top didn't want to budge... I released the valve in the trunk hoping that would do it>> Nada..

I looked on line here and read up to remove the cap on the visor close to where the latch was, Doing so, using the Allen wrench that was inside the trunk on the side, I put the Allen wrench in and manipulated the latch manually to allow the top to engage and this successfully reset the switch and mechanism to allow the top to reset and work once again. I closed the bleeder valve and the rear windows went up and down again, I tried the power top and rear windows, everything was just perfect once again

Something I learned on here tonight, "Stop-Breath-Read"

Thank You Jaguar Forum and people on here for making it possible for me to solve my own problem..
"Chaaaa Ching"..This Jaguar Forum is a true blessing>>.. My Best Regards,

Joel R.
St Petersburg, Fl.

Christopher Mayers (07-14-2020)
Old 06-04-2017, 09:44 AM
Veteran Member
Received 456 Likes on 299 Posts

Is a heart attach anything like a heart attack?

Glad you got it sorted. So very wise people on here.

Old 04-02-2019, 12:21 AM
Received 31 Likes on 14 Posts

Can anyone elaborate on what Gus talking about in the PDF
the attachment seems to no longer exist on the PDF
Thanks for any and all assistance
-dag
Originally Posted by Gus
You may be correct but the system does some strange things. I am going to attach a few links that might help you identify the problem.
Link: http://www.gusglikas.com/images/Auto...atchRepair.pdf
Link: Hyd Roof Operation
Link: Body
Also check your PM I hope this helps!

Old 04-02-2019, 10:45 AM
Veteran Member
Received 6,290 Likes on 3,452 Posts

dag,

What problems are you having with your top?

Gus' post #7, above, was from 2011 and his Public Profile shows that he has an X100, not an X150. Those invalid links might not apply to your car. The X150 top guru is WhiteXKR, and he (Steve ) probably can help you if you explain what's going on with your top.

You can PM Gus and ask him to update those links.

Stuart

Old 06-21-2020, 10:27 AM
Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts
Default Top down micro switch

Originally Posted by Stuart S
dag,

What problems are you having with your top?

Gus' post #7, above, was from 2011 and his Public Profile shows that he has an X100, not an X150. Those invalid links might not apply to your car. The X150 top guru is WhiteXKR, and he (Steve ) probably can help you if you explain what's going on with your top.

You can PM Gus and ask him to update those links.

Stuart
My 2006 XK8 Victory Édition top close properly but recently the Latch stay open and I do have a message saying « Hood not latched ». My readings seems to lead to the Convertible Top down micro switch. Anyone have documentation to change, repair and locate that faulty switch. No pdf from GUS is available anymore.

What is this switch part number and repair pdf ?
Thank you
Michel

m2zoo4u (02-23-2023)
Old 06-21-2020, 01:17 PM
Veteran Member
Received 668 Likes on 451 Posts

You need the x100 forum, this is the x150 forum

m2zoo4u (02-23-2023)
Old 06-21-2020, 04:01 PM
Veteran Member
Received 5,384 Likes on 3,186 Posts

My XK8 had previously had a latch problem, as it did the green rain before I purchased it. Repaired before I'd ever seen it, but the evidence was still there.

Quick Reply: Convertible top not latched