XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Convertible top not working

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2020, 09:56 AM
Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Convertible top not working

I own a 2008 xkr occasionally the top will open about an inch and then get stuck re closing and then re opening normally sorts the problem and on occasion I would have to release the pump and put it down manually as per the instructions in the manual.

This has just happened again except the tourniquet cover which normally easily opens wouldn’t I then pulled the cable in the boot which did give but still the cover wouldn’t move I then pushed the button to close the roof and it locked down and closed the windows.I then pressed the button to open the roof and as per normal the back windows went down and then nothing more happened I then noted the “Hood not latched” error msg and my back windows are still open.
The manual says not to open it manually so if anyone knows how to sort this please let me know as I live in South Africa and a fair way away from the dealership
Thanks

Old 07-02-2020, 11:21 AM
Veteran Member
Received 6,320 Likes on 3,465 Posts

Welcome to the Forum. I see that you just joined. A Moderator will let you know what you need to do as a new member.

The convertible top expert is Forum member WhiteXKR, and he will let you know what to do. I'll send him a PM to let him know that you need his help.

Old 07-02-2020, 11:46 PM
Default Thanks

Originally Posted by Stuart S
Welcome to the Forum. I see that you just joined. A Moderator will let you know what you need to do as a new member.

The convertible top expert is Forum member WhiteXKR, and he will let you know what to do. I'll send him a PM to let him know that you need his help.
Thanks really appreciate it

Old 07-03-2020, 08:49 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,988 Likes on 2,125 Posts

Try the following first:
-Remove fuse F8 from the fusebox between the rear seats for 15 seconds and then reinsert it.

-Then hold the top close button for a full 2 minutes.

-Then reset the front windows by lowering them both and continuing to hold the window buttons for 5 seconds after they reach bottom, then by raising them and continuing to hold the window buttons for 5 seconds after they reach the top. Repeat this 3 or 4 times.

-Now hold the top open button and see if everything is back to normal.

Last edited by WhiteXKR; 07-03-2020 at 10:02 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by WhiteXKR:
Bill400 (07-03-2020), Stuart S (07-03-2020)
Old 07-03-2020, 09:34 AM

Originally Posted by WhiteXKR
Try the following first:
-Remove fuse F8 from between the rear windows for 15 seconds and then reinsert it.

-Then reset the front windows by lowering them both and continuing to hold the window buttons for 5 seconds after they reach bottom, then by raising them and continuing to hold the window buttons for 5 seconds after they reach the top. Repeat this 3 or 4 times.

Thanks a million going to give it a bash

Old 07-03-2020, 10:02 AM
Default Still no response

Try the following first:
-Remove fuse F8 from between the rear windows for 15 seconds and then reinsert it.

went through the sequence still no response

Old 07-03-2020, 10:03 AM
Veteran Member

F8 is from the fusebox between the rear seats...sorry for the typo.

Old 07-03-2020, 10:19 AM
Default Still not working

Thank you for your response I went through the sequence and sadly it hasn’t fixed it
Regards
Pete

Old 07-03-2020, 10:38 AM
Veteran Member

Please be sure the boot is shut, the luggage cover is in place and the pump was returned to automatic mode.

If the problem still remains, you are going to need to try again to manually put the top down, then put the pump back to automatic. This is the RESET position and it should recover now that the electronics is all reset.

Old 07-03-2020, 11:35 AM

Thanks again boot was closed back pump Allen’s key closed full clockwise I am not sure which setting is “automatic “ on the pump?
i have also read the info on dropping the rod manually which seems like the last resort but had no clue what they were referring to when they say push down on the rams I assume they mean on top of the roof covering behind the back windows but I can’t see what the rams are and in which direction they would move?

slso wondering if the fact that the tourniquet cable which I pulled out in an attempt to release the lid which didn’t work but is still fully extended is not part of the problem?
Regards
Pete

Old 07-03-2020, 11:50 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Hermanus
Thanks again boot was closed back pump Allen’s key closed full clockwise I am not sure which setting is “automatic “ on the pump?
i have also read the info on dropping the rod manually which seems like the last resort but had no clue what they were referring to when they say push down on the rams I assume they mean on top of the roof covering behind the back windows but I can’t see what the rams are and in which direction they would move?

slso wondering if the fact that the tourniquet cable which I pulled out in an attempt to release the lid which didn’t work but is still fully extended is not part of the problem?
Regards
Pete
Full clockwise is automatic.

Make sure you are referencing the manual top down instructions from the correct owners manual for your model. Direct pressure on the rams is only necessary on the early X100 convertibles, not on an X150 2008 convertible.

The one thing that is left out of the manual top down instructions in the owners manual is that you need to wait up to 30 minutes after putting the pump in manual for the pressure in the system to bleed off so the top and the tonneau cover can be moved.

Old 07-03-2020, 11:51 AM
Veteran Member
Received 6,320 Likes on 3,465 Posts

[QUOTE=Hermanus;2256548] ... wondering if the fact that the tourniquet cable which I pulled out in an attempt to release the lid which didn’t work but is still fully extended is not part of the problem?
Regards
Pete[/QUOTE
tourniquet or tonneau? I suspect that's the problem, but that's just a guess.

Old 07-03-2020, 12:47 PM
Default iPhone spellcheck

[QUOTE=Stuart S;2256552]
... wondering if the fact that the tourniquet cable which I pulled out in an attempt to release the lid which didn’t work but is still fully extended is not part of the problem?
Regards
Pete[/QUOTE
tourniquet or tonneau? I suspect that's the problem, but that's just a guess.
yes I can’t spell and it’s the darn spellcheck

Old 07-03-2020, 12:51 PM

Full clockwise is automatic.

Make sure you are referencing the manual top down instructions from the correct owners manual for your model. Direct pressure on the rams is only necessary on the early X100 convertibles, not on an X150 2008 convertible.

The one thing that is left out of the manual top down instructions in the owners manual is that you need to wait up to 30 minutes after putting the pump in manual for the pressure in the system to bleed off so the top and the tonneau cover can be moved.
Assuming I follow this route do I release the the pump at the back then the latch in the front will the roof then lift in the front?

Old 07-03-2020, 04:50 PM
Veteran Member

Assuming I follow this route do I release the the pump at the back then the latch in the front will the roof then lift in the front?
Yes. And you need to use a motion with your arms spread to lift the front and back of the top simultaneously.

Old 07-03-2020, 09:15 PM
Veteran Member
Received 577 Likes on 324 Posts

I have been going through this exact issue, and am going through it still. Some tips that I've learned and seem to help:

- didn't know about the 30-minute-wait after opening the fluid reservoir thing - I seem to be doing OK without it. I hope I'm not messing anything up.
- As far as I can tell, a "turn" of the allen wrench seems to mean a 360-degree rotation. On my fluid reservoir, it seems like it's about a trun-and-a-half to fully open. (it will stop turning and I assume don't force it.)
- when you pull that cable to release the tonneau, pull straight BACK (toward the rear of the car) and not IN (toward the center of the trunk). Somehow pulling it toward the center, which feels like "away" from where it's hanging, seemed to make sense, but no. Pull rearward. Pull fairly hard. It will release.
- when you're sitting in the car and are going to release the front using the allen wrench, you're gonna have to crank that thing a LOT. Like 20 full-360 counter-clockwise turns. Just start turning---spin it kind of fast, it's OK. Those two hooks will slowly release.
- it's for sure easier to do the next part with two people but it can be done alone: with one hand, life the FRONT of the top a few inches. This will take pressure off the BACK of the top, allowing you to lift it further with the other hand. Just remember: front first. Once the back is about a foot or so up, you've got enough clearance to lift the tonneau. Once that's up, drop the back part of the top back down, then lift the front up and all the way over into the compartment. (If you've ever owned a manual top, this will feel familiar) Then close the tonneau and you're good to go.

(My issue: my top will open, but will only close to within about an inch, just before the last part of the sequence when it's supposed to latch. It's close enough that I can pull it down and use the wrench to crank it closed. And I have the hated Red Triangle. Problem is, since the car thinks it's not closed, it typically won't raise the rear windows. BUT BUT... every now and then after I've manually closed it I'll press that toggle switch toward "close" to see if the red triangle will go away-- and a few days ago, it WORKED! front windows down, rear windows up, front windows back up, and Red Triangle gone! I haven't wanted to risk it so I've been driving the car as a coupe for the past week. No top down for me...)

Old 07-04-2020, 01:22 AM

Originally Posted by pk4144
I have been going through this exact issue, and am going through it still. Some tips that I've learned and seem to help:

- didn't know about the 30-minute-wait after opening the fluid reservoir thing - I seem to be doing OK without it. I hope I'm not messing anything up.
- As far as I can tell, a "turn" of the allen wrench seems to mean a 360-degree rotation. On my fluid reservoir, it seems like it's about a trun-and-a-half to fully open. (it will stop turning and I assume don't force it.)
- when you pull that cable to release the tonneau, pull straight BACK (toward the rear of the car) and not IN (toward the center of the trunk). Somehow pulling it toward the center, which feels like "away" from where it's hanging, seemed to make sense, but no. Pull rearward. Pull fairly hard. It will release.
- when you're sitting in the car and are going to release the front using the allen wrench, you're gonna have to crank that thing a LOT. Like 20 full-360 counter-clockwise turns. Just start turning---spin it kind of fast, it's OK. Those two hooks will slowly release.
- it's for sure easier to do the next part with two people but it can be done alone: with one hand, life the FRONT of the top a few inches. This will take pressure off the BACK of the top, allowing you to lift it further with the other hand. Just remember: front first. Once the back is about a foot or so up, you've got enough clearance to lift the tonneau. Once that's up, drop the back part of the top back down, then lift the front up and all the way over into the compartment. (If you've ever owned a manual top, this will feel familiar) Then close the tonneau and you're good to go.

(My issue: my top will open, but will only close to within about an inch, just before the last part of the sequence when it's supposed to latch. It's close enough that I can pull it down and use the wrench to crank it closed. And I have the hated Red Triangle. Problem is, since the car thinks it's not closed, it typically won't raise the rear windows. BUT BUT... every now and then after I've manually closed it I'll press that toggle switch toward "close" to see if the red triangle will go away-- and a few days ago, it WORKED! front windows down, rear windows up, front windows back up, and Red Triangle gone! I haven't wanted to risk it so I've been driving the car as a coupe for the past week. No top down for me...)
Thank you,lots of good info here, wish I had joined this forum years ago I am on my fourth Jag over almost 16 years going to try today

Old 07-04-2020, 06:26 AM

you guys a brilliant it worked back windows up roof closed and Red triangle gone now too scared to reopen it

Old 07-04-2020, 11:17 AM
Veteran Member
Received 577 Likes on 324 Posts

While my problem seems to be recurring (I'm waiting to get back to my regular mechanics to have it addressed), yours may not be. I say go for it! Open it up! (Now that you're getting comfortable with the whole "manual" thing, resetting it will be easier -- IF you need to do it again...)
Let us know how it goes.

Old 07-04-2020, 01:47 PM

While my problem seems to be recurring (I'm waiting to get back to my regular mechanics to have it addressed), yours may not be. I say go for it! Open it up! (Now that you're getting comfortable with the whole "manual" thing, resetting it will be easier -- IF you need to do it again...)
Let us know how it goes.
went like the bomb completely sorted thanks to all of you I used to have the previous shape and never struggled with the roof

The following users liked this post:
JagRag (07-05-2020)