XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

convertible top problem

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2024, 01:59 PM
Received 18 Likes on 7 Posts
Default convertible top problem

Firstly apologies but I could not work out how to post on current thread

The rear window has come away from the roof - not an uncommon problem and not he main issue but in an attempt to re-adhere i need to raise the rear bow slightly to create some slack in the roof to repair the rear window. Instead of doing this electrically I did this by did following the manual reset procedure:

Pulled handle in boot to release hydraulic pressure
used Allen key to rotate valve one full turn
Took cover off in roof and unlatched the hood by winding the mechanism until it unlatched
raised rear screen to provide the slack so I could re-bond window

Now I cannot get the hood fully closed MANUALLY from the fully open position - I don't want to put power on as the screen is still loose and has to be manually lifted out of the way to clear the back of the seat.
So I have followed the manual reset procedure from fully open with hood fully retracted as described on page 116 of the manual.

Now the problem - when I get to step 5 to lift the bow and hood header rail I raise the bow far enough to clear it far enough to clear the tonneau panel then manually close the tonneau panel before lowering the bow onto the tonneau panel as described on page 117 but the hood gets stuck partly closed and the header does not go all the way forward to enable me to latch it,

I can see the problem in that the silver latch pins on each side are not clearing the hooks where the hood folds, ( I have had this on a previous car and resolved it by removing the silver latch pins and then re-set the hood and all was fine. BUT I cannot undo them to remove they are absolutely solid.

How do I fully close the hood preferably manually as I don't want to put power on until I have secured the rear screen back to the hood.

step by step instruction would be preferable as i find that easier to follow

If anyone is in the UK and would be prepared to call me to discuss my number is 07880 707298

Just a reminder the current state is fully open and retracted manually with hydraulic valve open

Any help gratefully received

Old 08-19-2024, 03:22 PM
Veteran Member
Received 6,351 Likes on 3,480 Posts

Chris,

You have two separate issues, (1) to close your hood (convertible top on my side of the pond), and (2) to repair the rear glass that has separated from the fabric. Both are common problems that have been addressed on this Forum.

First, always look to see if there's an answer in the Stickies at the top of this Forum under How To / DIY Repairs & Maintenance:

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...enance-227403/

Open the above link and scroll down to 3. Convertible Top, where both of your problems are addressed. The rear glass repair is answered (read everything, there's more than one way to do it). But ... the Top Hydraulics video doesn't seem to be the answer to your stuck top problem. That's why it's good to know how to quickly search this Forum.
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...stions-279104/

To close your hood, read this 2020 thread and the links therein in their entirety:
Convertible top reset

Good luck, and I hope this helps.

Cheers

Stuart