XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Convertible Top Won't Work

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2024, 07:38 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Convertible Top Won't Work

Hello, I have a 2008 XKR Convertible with 59,400 miles on it. Recently, I manually lowered the top (per the instructions in the manual) so that I could close it just partially in order to do some cleaning of the top storage compartment and also do a little cleaning on the fabric on the underside of the top. After cleaning, I manually closed the top and tanoeu cover completely. I then manually raised the top (per the instructions in the manual). However, the top and windows won't operate. I have a warning on the dash in red indicating that the top is not latched.

I did latch the top manually with the allen wrench as explained in the manual.

Please help!!

Old 08-07-2024, 08:33 PM
Veteran Member
Received 5,511 Likes on 3,242 Posts

The FIRST thing to check is the battery. Always. After sitting unmolested for 12 hours the voltage MUST be 12.6 or a bit higher. You stated you cleaned something... perchance was a door or something else open for anything past five minutes? That alone will get the battery below where it has to be for full operation.

Also, after you did the manual reset, did you remember to reengage the pump?
Another also, make sure both front windows are fully programmed, up AND down following the procedures in the user manual.

The following 3 users liked this post by Cee Jay:
Bill400 (08-08-2024), Don B (08-11-2024), McJag222 (08-07-2024)
Old 08-11-2024, 03:09 PM
Default Convertible Top Won’t Work

[QUOTE=Cee Jay;2774856
Cee Jay, thank you for your advice. Per your recommendation, I made sure the battery wasn’t the issue. The battery is only 2 months old and I put the charger on it over night to make sure it was full charge. I then reinserted the Allen wrench and turned clockwise as far as it would turn. I then started the vehicle and rolled the front windows up and down all the way to make sure they operated and were reset. I then tried (with the front windows up) tried to raise the rear windows by holding the button for the top in the forward position for several seconds. No luck and the dash still shows a red message stating that the top is not locked. I then rolled the front windows down and the pushed the convertible top button forward and still no change. I then opened the trunk and removed the luggage divider and checked for any issues. I saw none so I put the luggage divider back in and made sure it was properly in place. Still no change. I then tried pushing convertible top button on the back side as you would do to open the top. Still no change. I should note that when I have the front windows down, and I push the convertible top button forward or backward, I do hear, for just a moment, what sounds like the front window motors energizing but then they stop before they move the windows. Anymore thoughts? Do you think I should use the Allen wrench to unlock the top from the front window top and see if pushing the button will lock it electronically?

Old 08-11-2024, 04:02 PM
Veteran Member
Received 5,511 Likes on 3,242 Posts

Sometimes you have to hold the UP DOWN button for about a minute for it to rethink stuff. Other than that, I'm out of ideas. Someone else should be around with more info.

Old 08-11-2024, 04:52 PM
Received 54 Likes on 21 Posts

There are multiple posts on these problems. Consider that there maybe broken wires within the roof that go to the sensors in the front edge. I posted the following; (not sure how to link, so a copy and paste!)

Hood Won't Latch - Convertible Top Issue[img]file:///C:/Users/GEOFFM~1/AppData/Local/Temp/msohtmlclip1/01/clip_image001.gif[/img] 01-18-2024, 12:20 PM [img]file:///C:/Users/GEOFFM~1/AppData/Local/Temp/msohtmlclip1/01/clip_image002.png[/img]

Do you folks know where the break in the wire was? How do I access the top wiring harness?
I have been issues with my top for what seems like forever, didn't do a naked dance but felt like it!!!

Based on these posts I put the top partly up and looked on the left hand side ( passengers side for me) for the cable form. The braided cable form is velcro attached to a length of what looks like selt belt webbing between the inner and outer fabric of the converible top.
Opened the braided cable form about 300mm to 400mm from front edge with my wife’s "quick unpick" tool, and found and both the "red/brown" and "brown/red" wires were completely broken, and the "Green/white" and "White/Blue" insulation cracked.

Spliced in new wires, adding about 12mm to wire length., as another post suggested they broke because they were too short?

Hope this may help

Old 08-11-2024, 08:04 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,214 Likes on 918 Posts

Get in touch with the Jaguar wrangler at his website. He is our local convertible top guru. If you go to the search panel and put in the jaguar wrangler you may find his Forum handle (unfortunately I can't remember it). Long story short, he should be able to help you. Here is his website. Also, consider acquiring his invention the one button automatic top control. relatively inexpensive and a fabulous accessory.

https://www.thejagwrangler.com/

Old 08-11-2024, 08:14 PM

Thanks

Old 08-11-2024, 11:14 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,214 Likes on 918 Posts

If you haven't pls hit the like button in the lower rh corner.