XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Convertible Window and timing sequencing

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2023, 02:28 PM
Received 35 Likes on 21 Posts
Default Convertible Window and timing sequencing

2008 Portfolio Convertible XKR

Here it is again. I have read and search nothing seems to sequence top & window timing correctly

I had change battery as it went bad and it was new last year. Warranty covered.

I have reset the top manually unlatching and storing top. Then bring up on the hydraulics. The rear windows will come up but only after holding switch which seems like 2-3 mins. Front do not come up. Have to manual hold switch up to close window.

I have reset the top by just letting the electronic break top loose then setting into storage position.

PressinG open button , rear windows open , The top breaks free of windshield now and holds open position for say 10-15 secs then goes into storage. Once latched the rear windows will come up but only after loooong time holding button.
Fronts will not and my fronts will only close by holding holding button. These are ‘auto’ both positions aren’t they ???

I can’t remember how I reset them last time battery was changed but I doo remember I had to do something on the passenger side controls to sync the windows. This manual I have does not state anything about that. I used the manual for window reset but that only sets ‘drop’ timing I think.
and how do I get rid of that delay for the top to storage after breaking loose.

I would really appreciate the fix once and for all. Then I’ll write it down.

Thanks in Advanced
‘Oleguy

Old 05-07-2023, 04:26 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,975 Likes on 1,326 Posts

The sequence runs slowly on a weak battery. Just because the battery was new last year, doesn’t rule it out as a possible cause. Is the car running while doing this?

Old 05-07-2023, 05:13 PM
Received 51 Likes on 20 Posts

I found this on the forum some time ago and copied it so I had it offlineResetting the windows on your Jaguar

So your automatic feature doesn't work on your Jaguar anymore? It's ok, nothing's broken. This usually happens because somebody disconnected the battery and the settings for the windows were lost. In other words, the car needs to re-learn where the limits for the windows are. This is very simple to do.

Your switch has 5 positions. We'll call them:

"-2" which is the switch all the way down for automatic down

"-1" which is the switch slightly down for bringing the window down manually

"0" which is the switch just sitting on its normal position

"1" which is the switch slightly up for bringing the window up manually

"2" which is the switch all the way up for automatic up

The reset procedure is very simple:

Shut the radio off and other source of noises, you are going to be looking for a little "click"

Hold the switch of the window you wish to re-teach the limits in position "-1". Even after the window is all the way down, keep holding it and listen for a little click. When you hear it go to the next step.

Hold the switch on position "1". Again, even after the window is all the way up keep holding it and listen for a "click".

That is it! Simple enough huh?! Repeat for all windows and you are all set!

Old 05-08-2023, 04:50 PM

Originally Posted by kj07xk
The sequence runs slowly on a weak battery. Just because the battery was new last year, doesn’t rule it out as a possible cause. Is the car running while doing this?
yes I do have the car running while performing all the top functions. This was a new battery this year. As the one replaced last year was bad this year.

Old 05-20-2023, 05:44 PM
Default Fixed itself!?

I had read this from another member it happened too.

‘08 Portfolio loaded
When I picked up the car after pinion seal replacement I started the car and touched both windows and they are both this time go down & up on a touch. Only the driver had after battery replacement.
Sunny sky’s tomorrow will try the top operation.

Old 05-21-2023, 09:09 AM
Veteran Member
Received 5,360 Likes on 3,174 Posts

Originally Posted by gmuirnz
I found this on the forum some time ago and copied it so I had it offlineResetting the windows on your Jaguar

So your automatic feature doesn't work on your Jaguar anymore? It's ok, nothing's broken. This usually happens because somebody disconnected the battery and the settings for the windows were lost. In other words, the car needs to re-learn where the limits for the windows are. This is very simple to do.

Your switch has 5 positions. We'll call them:

"-2" which is the switch all the way down for automatic down

"-1" which is the switch slightly down for bringing the window down manually

"0" which is the switch just sitting on its normal position

"1" which is the switch slightly up for bringing the window up manually

"2" which is the switch all the way up for automatic up

The reset procedure is very simple:

Shut the radio off and other source of noises, you are going to be looking for a little "click"

Hold the switch of the window you wish to re-teach the limits in position "-1". Even after the window is all the way down, keep holding it and listen for a little click. When you hear it go to the next step.

Hold the switch on position "1". Again, even after the window is all the way up keep holding it and listen for a "click".

That is it! Simple enough huh?! Repeat for all windows and you are all set!
While this worked on my XK8, I had to modify the procedure for my XKR to accept it.
Hold the switch full-up until two seconds past the window is all up, release the switch and hold full-up again for another two seconds. Same as down. Only then do my windows now learn.

The following users liked this post:
gmuirnz (05-22-2023)