XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Corvette To Jaguar

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2012, 12:11 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Corvette To Jaguar

I am seriously thinking about trading my 2010 Corvette Grand Sport Convertible 6 speed for a new 2012 XKR convertible with the sport seats. I test drove the Jag and was quite impressed. I had it in the sportiest modes and used the paddles, which is how I would drive it all the time. I am a one car person, so the Jag would be my daily driver for freeways, streets and plenty of canyons in So Cal. I have had 6 speed Vettes for the last 20 years. My question is, what will be the major differences in the driving experience. it is hard to get a handle on this, having test driven the Jag for less than 10 minutes. Any input would be welcomed.

Old 05-15-2012, 01:18 AM
Veteran Member
Received 875 Likes on 633 Posts

Obviously a biased forum in many ways, but there are many here that will offer you the wisdom given me only months ago. An amazing group of people hang here with a vast background of vehicles they have owned to compare to...

As my time in a Jag is limited (5 months), the one area that I can offer is the caution of a "one car" system.
I thought I could do it with only slight compromise, and am now picking up a second "around town" car for work commutes and runs to the grocery stores. Shopping for anything including groceries with a Jag is actually more difficult that i would have first thought! Lack of decent ways to secure items in the trunk without bulky folding boxes makes putting things back there difficult at best.

Also, the anxiety of parking your car anywhere near shopping carts while you leave it unattended always leaves you concerned and looking over your car closely when you return with your goods. (Despite how far out you park, it always seems some bozo in a rusted POS will always go just as far out of the way to park right next to you . Whats up with that?).
The lack of a usable back seat has only bit me once, but my commuter will solve that as well. (We also get the occasional ice and snow storm that hangs around for a week or less)

I think you'll love a Jag, and probably owe yourself a few more test drives, but I have to admit my concept of a one car system really isn't working out that well for me.

My Vince

BOL in your research.

Last edited by CleverName; 05-15-2012 at 01:20 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 05-15-2012, 05:51 AM
Veteran Member
Received 261 Likes on 183 Posts

I've never owned a 'Vette, but I have driven and ridden in a friends (I do not even know which one it is; it isn't brand new so it may not be the same as yours). The 'Vette is nowhere near as refined as my XKR. In my experience, 'Vette owners are loyal to a fault to the make. Since you have driven one for so long perhaps you can talk to this.

Just curious, but after so long what has motivated you to move to a Jag?

I have had an XKR as a daily driver since 2003. My current 2010 XKR is fantastic and I have not experienced any problems using it as a daily driver including grocery shopping. Now, I don't use it to go buy a toilet at Lowes, so you won't be able to haul something like this but I think you already knew that. I drive it everywhere - haven't had any problems with streets of interstate. The car enhances my daily drive in countless ways.

Mechanically the Jag will be more expensive to repair should that be required. Every car manufacturer has problems, but I have not had many problems with my Jags. This current one has not had any problems so far.

The 2010+ XKR does not have an oil drain plug - the oil is removed through the top of the engine, and requires a special Castrol oil. So, you will most likely not be able to do this yourself. I don't know if the new 'Vettes are this way or not.

The 2010+ XKR is a gorgeous car, and in my opinion looks much better than the 'Vette. Some may not share that opinion.

Performance for the 2010+ XKR is outstanding. Bruce H just recently tracked his XKR and has written about it in a thread on the forum. I'm sure you will pick up some good info from that thread.

Perhaps some specific questions may help us help you more.

Good luck with your decision!

Originally Posted by RonnieC6
I am seriously thinking about trading my 2010 Corvette Grand Sport Convertible 6 speed for a new 2012 XKR convertible with the sport seats. I test drove the Jag and was quite impressed. I had it in the sportiest modes and used the paddles, which is how I would drive it all the time. I am a one car person, so the Jag would be my daily driver for freeways, streets and plenty of canyons in So Cal. I have had 6 speed Vettes for the last 20 years. My question is, what will be the major differences in the driving experience. it is hard to get a handle on this, having test driven the Jag for less than 10 minutes. Any input would be welcomed.

Old 05-15-2012, 06:50 AM
Veteran Member
Received 325 Likes on 201 Posts

I've spent a lot of time around Corvettes as they're a popular car at track events, and I have great respect for them as a very desirable sports car with striking styling to match its outstanding performance. You asked about how the driving experience would be different, and I'm not sure it would be in any really tangible way. That car has as much soul as any other, and far more than most, and the passion of its engineers is evident everywhere. It's an American performance icon, and a terrific value.

But there's a lot of intangibles that factor into a car buying decision, and perhaps in your case it's a simple as just wanting to try something different after driving Corvettes so long. That's as valid a reason as any, and the XKR is definitely worth considering. Take it for a much longer drive, take the time to relax with it and discover if it seduces you in the way the Corvette did. If it doesn't then it's not the car for you.

I've always been drawn to a car's appearance, and uniqueness and exclusivity are integral parts of that appeal. I'd have surely owned the current generation of Corvette had it not been such a popular car. The XKR has got to be one of the world's best kept high performance secrets, but you're welcome to buy it for its gorgeous styling, luxurious appointments and exclusivity if that's what appeals to you. In my case I was sold before I ever even sat in one...the test drive was simply a formality to confirm it felt as good as it looks.

Hope that help, and good luck with your decision!

Bruce

Old 05-15-2012, 06:52 AM
Veteran Member
Received 10,878 Likes on 7,154 Posts

FWIW....

I've not driven any of the new Jag performance models but I've driven many Corvettes, the newest being a 2009 ZR1 (Jeeeeesus, what a monster!). I suspect you'll find the Jag to be less raw-edged than Corvettes....even the ones with the lowered-powered engines.

Broadly speaking, and looking at Jaguar history....as well as reflecting on comments from others.... I think it's fair to say that whenever faced with a decision of a bit more comfort and refinement versus a bit more performance, Jaguar will always lean towards a bit more comfort and refinement.

If you're Ok with that you should love the Jag.

Cheers
DD

Old 05-15-2012, 08:21 AM
Received 136 Likes on 64 Posts

I have, as many others on this forum, owned a number of cars. I, coincidentally, sold my C6 Corvette prior to purchasing my 08 XK. The XK is not as "quick" as the C6 and I knew that this would be the case. I did road test the XKR and that car was a "bottle rocket" however, the deal I got on the XK was just too good to pass up.

The Jaguar is, simply stated, in a different class. The lines are stunning, there are very few on the road, which makes this car both unique and a genuine head turner.

I truly enjoyed the C6 and the Corvette Forum was as informative as this one. I kinda miss the "Corvette Wave" and I don't know if there is an "XK Wave" as I have never seen another one on the road!

I would summarize, as well as, suggest that you take the plunge. Life is preciously short, treat yourself (and others) well...

Old 05-15-2012, 09:27 AM
Received 141 Likes on 82 Posts

I've not owned a Vette, but my buddy has a C5 and I looked hard at the C6 vert before I got my XKR late last year. The attraction to the vette included the HUD and the amazing amount of aftermarket parts for go-fast purposes. The XKR was interior design and quality of materials, and as Bruce mentioned, it's relative rarity and overall beauty. The XKRs have a dual mode exhaust so it can be quieter when it wants to be and louder when you're feeling a little more aggro. As far as drivetrains are concerned, I've always considered GM to have some of the better programmed automatics, but the ZF unit here in the XK is a sweetheart... quick to obey commands in manual mode... holds gear at redline. But if you want to drive like a normal person in a casual way, it pulls that off VERY nicely. Great for a GT car, and very much what I wanted.

As Clever noted though... there's very little cargo capacity. In fact, there's less in the Jag than there is in my 350z. I don't have a single car issue, so it's not so big a deal for me, but you can forget about putting two carryon bags in the trunk unless they're duffel bags.

In the 7 months or so of ownership, I've seen only 3 or 4 other XKs on the road. And I like that bit of uniqueness.

Old 05-15-2012, 10:19 AM
Received 109 Likes on 67 Posts

I would think your GS will handle better in the twisties with the Z51 suspension plus it's lighter. Straight line to 60 would be a toss up but at higher speeds the XKR should pull harder. If you're thinking of modding (bolt ons, superchargers, turbos, heads and cam), the corvette world has alot more to offer. Interior the jaguar is better and also the exterior with it's semi exotic looks plus not many out there on the road (you see corvettes everywhere). Couple of us here had vettes....I had a C5.

Old 05-15-2012, 10:43 AM
Banned
Received 256 Likes on 218 Posts
Smile

When I think Vettes I don't think GT. I think if you want raw, and I mean raw, straight line power you will go for the Vette.

For me, the Jag is more smiles per gallon but we are comparing apples to oranges here. That you would even pose the question indicates you need to think it through. To thine oneself be true.

Old 05-15-2012, 11:33 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks much for all of the nice replies. As far as trunk space and the small back seat goes, I could not care less. Remember, I am driving 2 seater convertible that has very little trunk space. As far as acceleration is concerned, the XKR is just as quick as my Vette. Gas mileage is almost identical. The XKR is stunning inside and out, and the sport seats are fabulous. I have the 4LT upgraded leather interior in my GS and, al in all, the interior of the Vette is pure crap. I am ready for something nicer. My big concern is the tranny. I did own a Ferrari F430 spider for 9 months and did enjoy the F1 paddle shifters. (every other car that I have owned in the last 25 years has been a 3 pedal car, which i do enjoy). I know the Paddles on the Jag are not the same as on the Ferrari or the PDK on a Porsche, but they do not seem too bad. I just need to test drive the XKR through the canyons to see how it handles. It truly is a beautiful car, especially in black with black sport seats w/ivory stitching. I do see them every day here in So Cal, but I do not care about that sort of thing.

Old 05-15-2012, 12:21 PM
Received 109 Likes on 67 Posts

They say the ZF tranny in the jag is the best or one of the best shifting tranny out there that uses a torque converter. That being said, I wish Jag would put in a DCT in their "R" versions.

Old 05-15-2012, 01:11 PM
Banned
Received 256 Likes on 218 Posts

Ronnie,

Based on your last post "you are ready ". Go ahead and get an extended test drive and don't look back.

Old 05-15-2012, 01:11 PM
Received 46 Likes on 37 Posts

You could always wait for the F-Type Roadster that will be available next year. It will be more of a "Sports Car" than a GT like the XKR. I came from a C5 vert and I can say that the Jag is definitely more refined and comfortable than the corvette especially for long distance cruising. It's an all around a much better car IMHO.

Old 05-15-2012, 01:22 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,202 Likes on 933 Posts

Originally Posted by tommyd
You could always wait for the F-Type Roadster that will be available next year.
It would be cool to be one of the first to have one and maybe you can get it in a special color combo that you fancy or no one would have.

What is the projected yearly production predicted to be?

Old 05-15-2012, 01:40 PM
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Side by side photos

It seems clear to me that my XK has it all over this Vette. Besides, how many Chevys do you see on the road compared to an XK? I still get looks and comments everywhere I go. Look at these photos to see what I mean.

Attached Thumbnails Corvette To Jaguar-2008-xk-coupe-33.jpg   Corvette To Jaguar-2008-xk-coupe-32.jpg  
Old 05-15-2012, 02:36 PM
Received 46 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by iamddo
It seems clear to me that my XK has it all over this Vette.
Sooo sexy...and what a great exterior colour...

The following users liked this post:
iamddo (05-15-2012)
Old 05-15-2012, 05:42 PM
Received 42 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Tahoe Dave
I don't know if there is an "XK Wave" as I have never seen another one on the road!
Same here. Owned it since January and neither my wife or I have seen another. Although after we picked up the car in Florida we passed a car transport truck with a load of Jaguars including two XK'x while on the drive back to Virginia. We gave the truck driver a wave, but that doesn't count.

When I was shopping it seemed that Florida, Texas and California had the most inventory by far.

Old 05-15-2012, 07:02 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,209 Likes on 915 Posts

I'm on my 2nd vert. 1st one was an 08 which was still on the lot at Hornburg SM late last week. maybe they will let you have it for an afternoon and you can head up to Topanga or Malibu Canyon (or some other less traveled canyon). the na 08 vert is nowhere near as powerful as an 08 XKR, but you can get an idea from it. My 12 vert with the 5.0 and sport mode is really something else compared to the 08. more sophisticated - only had it one month so haven't tried to ring it out yet, but my feeling is that it is - under the skin - a much tighter, better engineered vehicle. I don't think the vette - as nice as it is will compare to 12 XK or XKR.

And I do make Costco runs and have made one week road trips in the XK with two normal carryons in the trunk or the back seat when we want to put the top down. Talk to Daniel Keiser at Hornburg SM.

Old 05-15-2012, 07:32 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,107 Likes on 695 Posts

Sports cars are impractical for so many of life's daily or weekly routines. You can't take the kids, you can't take your elderly parents, you can't haul anything bigger than a golf bag. I can't imagine a lifestyle where a sports car is your only car. Don't get me wrong, I love sports cars. I own a Corvette too, also a Mustang and a Toyota Supra. Heck, I'm in Texas. I can't imagine life without a pickup truck somewhere in the mix! Do like I do. Wait till they're a few years old, buy them cheap and have one of everything!

Old 05-15-2012, 08:31 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have owned an xkr and now have a c6. Both are great cars, each having their own strengths and weakness.
The cost of Jag ownership will be much greater than the vette with more frequent and expensive repairs and maintenance (especially if you get a bad one) and will depreciate at a much greater rate. It was the most expensive automotive ownership experience I have ever experienced.
That being said, I am driving an XJ VDP for three years and has been a great car.
Go to the forums for each car and take note of the nature of the posts.

Good Luck
brdave

Quick Reply: Corvette To Jaguar