XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Corvette To Jaguar

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2012, 07:53 PM
Veteran Member
Received 483 Likes on 404 Posts

My X350 was definitely the old fart car. I wager that the average age of other drivers I saw with an X350 was 75.

Old 08-08-2012, 07:57 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by bklynchris
Check out these video's. The XKR is definitely faster than a base 'vette and the XKR-s is very close to the ZR1. Purely judging from the 2nd video, if it was for pink slips, the XKR-s driver would be taking home a ZR1. I personally love the looks and performance of the 'vette, it's an iconic car, but the XKR, IMHO, has "it all".

Corvette Grand Sport vs Nissan GT-R vs Jaguar XKR drag race - YouTube

Chevrolet Corvette Z06 vs Jaguar XKR-S - YouTube
I dunno, that video made it seem like the XKR got a better start, and was ahead pretty much the entire time. Seems like driver error to me! Plus the title says it's a Z06, not a ZR1.

Still impressive, though. I imagine on a track (you know, with turns!) the XKR-S and Z06 would be very evenly matched.

Old 08-08-2012, 11:18 PM
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Well, I've had a couple of Vette's, the last being a Z06. Great car, lots of power, but an everybody auto. The XK Jag has the class by far. And I can tell you, it won't be viewing the back side of the Vette if it comes to pushing the envelope. I'm referring to the R series. The power and handling in many ways exceeds that of the Chev Icon. That is not saying the Vette is a dog, no way. It is a great value for the dollar and exceeds many European so called "Exotics"

I loved my Corvettes, but I honestly feel, pay a bit more, get a whole lot more unique automible.

Old 08-09-2012, 09:43 AM
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

I have an 2008 XKR Portfolio and all I have had to spend is the cost of an Oil Change I love this car.

Old 08-09-2012, 12:28 PM
Veteran Member
Received 54 Likes on 46 Posts

You're right, the Jag did get a better start, but some would expect the 'vette to fly on by and that simply wasn't the case. IMHO the XKR has ample power, more than ample and, its soooooo much nicer!!! I look at it this way, there are faster cars, but are they better looking? There "may” and I stress "may", be better looking cars, but are they faster? This is a stretch, but there may even be better looking, faster cars, but do they have the "drivability"? If you look at all 3 fronts, looks, performance and drivability, the XKR has it all. Very few cars can state that claim at any price.

Old 08-09-2012, 01:01 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by bklynchris
You're right, the Jag did get a better start, but some would expect the 'vette to fly on by and that simply wasn't the case. IMHO the XKR has ample power, more than ample and, its soooooo much nicer!!! I look at it this way, there are faster cars, but are they better looking? There "may” and I stress "may", be better looking cars, but are they faster? This is a stretch, but there may even be better looking, faster cars, but do they have the "drivability"? If you look at all 3 fronts, looks, performance and drivability, the XKR has it all. Very few cars can state that claim at any price.
Agreed!

Old 08-09-2012, 10:07 PM
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Bruce H.
I've spent a lot of time around Corvettes as they're a popular car at track events, and I have great respect for them as a very desirable sports car with striking styling to match its outstanding performance. You asked about how the driving experience would be different, and I'm not sure it would be in any really tangible way. That car has as much soul as any other, and far more than most, and the passion of its engineers is evident everywhere. It's an American performance icon, and a terrific value.

But there's a lot of intangibles that factor into a car buying decision, and perhaps in your case it's a simple as just wanting to try something different after driving Corvettes so long. That's as valid a reason as any, and the XKR is definitely worth considering. Take it for a much longer drive, take the time to relax with it and discover if it seduces you in the way the Corvette did. If it doesn't then it's not the car for you.

I've always been drawn to a car's appearance, and uniqueness and exclusivity are integral parts of that appeal. I'd have surely owned the current generation of Corvette had it not been such a popular car. The XKR has got to be one of the world's best kept high performance secrets, but you're welcome to buy it for its gorgeous styling, luxurious appointments and exclusivity if that's what appeals to you. In my case I was sold before I ever even sat in one...the test drive was simply a formality to confirm it felt as good as it looks.

Hope that help, and good luck with your decision!

Bruce
Agreed. I have had several Corvettes, since the '60's (a '54, a '56, a'59, a '60, a '76, an '84, and an '85) and I have greatly enjoyed them all, but I have also enjoyed my '61 Porsche, a '72 M-B SL500, and several British cars (a TR3, an MGA, my current '53 TD) and have added my XKR about 16 months ago, and I really dig it - they are all worth experiencing for their own merits.

Old 08-10-2012, 01:11 PM
Received 77 Likes on 57 Posts

If fast and cheap are your priorities, then stay with the Corvette. They fill that niche very well. To do so, there are other (large) compromises in build quality, style, luxury and exclusivity. IMHO Corvettes look, feel and are built like a piece of cheap tupperware, which is why and how they can be cheap for the power they offer. Things like the Z06 are an interesting anomaly because they are still corvettes but no longer cheap which seems to effectively eliminate their own main advantage, as a Z06 cant compete with an XKR or most other equally priced import luxury GTs on anything other than performance.

For me, the real question is: past the point where you're already probably the fastest thing by far of all the cars around you in regular traffic (which you are in both a corvette and an XKR), how important is even more outright speed to you? I'm just talking about extra speed over and above "sprited road driving". The stuff that you can't really get away with using these days unless you're on a track or are risking guaranteed loss of license in the middle of nowhere. Are your own priorities such that it is practical to compromise on everything else (build quality, luxury, comfort, style etc) for a (quite small) relative gain in that? If so stay with a Z06. If not get the stock XKR, enjoy the extra everything else, and never look back. Personally for me the XKR is a no-brainer choice but then I'm biassed because I already own one.

Actually can't you get a Nissan GTR for about the same money as a Z06? The GTR would eat the Z06 alive in both straight line speed and especially round the twisties or on a track. If performance is really your only consideration doesn't the GTR invalidate the whole point of a Z06 too? If you're primarily into track day performance it seems to me the same money would be better spent on a dedicated stripped-out track car, which would even eat the GTR.

Last edited by JustNiz; 08-10-2012 at 01:45 PM.
Old 08-10-2012, 01:32 PM
Veteran Member
Received 539 Likes on 402 Posts

Originally Posted by JustNiz
IMHO Corvettes look, feel and are built like a piece of cheap tupperware, which is why and how they can be cheap for the power they offer.
I have to disagree with you on that. The build quality of my 1995 was much better than expected and the newer models have continued to make strides in quality. Sure there were some cheap plasticky parts but, as a whole, I was quite pleased with my 14 years or ownership.

Doug

Old 08-10-2012, 01:59 PM
Veteran Member

Yup, they've always had great interiors...

Haha, actually I do like Corvettes, but really only the C6. It's the only one I've driven, though. Definitely has a barebones interior like my Mustang, but that's okay because it is meant to be a barebones performance car. Luxury would be wasted on it!

Old 08-10-2012, 02:08 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,202 Likes on 933 Posts

Corvette has the worst interior... Such a joke.

I'd rather have it look like their LeMans car interior than what they are doing now.

Old 08-10-2012, 02:56 PM
Veteran Member
Received 54 Likes on 46 Posts

[QUOTE=JustNiz;For me, the real question is: past the point where you're already probably the fastest thing by far of all the cars around you in regular traffic (which you are in both a corvette and an XKR), how important is even more outright speed to you? I'm just talking about extra speed over and above "sprited road driving". The stuff that you can't really get away with using these days unless you're on a track or are risking guaranteed loss of license in the middle of nowhere. Are your own priorities such that it is practical to compromise on everything else (build quality, luxury, comfort, style etc) for a (quite small) relative gain in that? If so stay with a Z06. If not get the stock XKR, enjoy the extra everything else, and never look back. Personally for me the XKR is a no-brainer choice but then I'm biassed because I already own one.

Great post!!!

Old 08-10-2012, 03:10 PM
Veteran Member
Received 594 Likes on 422 Posts

Guys

I truly do not understand why we have to express such negativity regarding the Vette or, any other car. If you think the Jag is superior for what ever reason, fine, that is your choice. But, why sour other people because they may decide to buy a Vette or, can only afford a Vette?

Vettes have been recognized by most experts as some of the best sports car values, period. At one point of my life, when all out performance was my chief objective the light-weight, high-powered ZO6 or ZR1 would have been clearly preferred against the lesser all around performances of heavier GT cars, like the XK/XKR. I never got around owning a Vette but, owned various Mustangs, RX-7s, each with aftermarket performances that well exceeded the top price range and brand offerings of the times. At that time, if was great fun absolutely blowing away high priced Porsches, Ferraris etc. Now, my priorities have changed and prefer the softer, more sophisticated feel of the Jag.

So, it is a matter of priority. If I wanted to the the baddest racer in town, I would be willing to accept a lower quality interior/exterior. If I want a performance "presentation" car, I buy a Jag or other premium bands. Simple as that. IMHO, both the Vette and the Jag are fine cars having different attractions for different priorities.

Albert

The following 3 users liked this post by axr6:
amcdonal86 (08-10-2012), Bruce H. (08-10-2012), SeismicGuy (08-10-2012)
Old 08-10-2012, 04:22 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Both are great cars, I have owned 4 Corvettes 3 of them were C-6's the last was a Z06 (2009) this is my first jag 2011 XKR-175. the Corvettes are light, fast and are a great performance bang for the buck. The jag is very comfortable, quiet, luxurious and still performs pretty good. I really love the XKR over the Z06.........but on a race track the vette would be out in front.

Old 08-10-2012, 07:52 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by mosesbotbol
Corvette has the worst interior... Such a joke.

I'd rather have it look like their LeMans car interior than what they are doing now.
Haha, I agree with you. My comment was tongue in cheek!

Old 08-10-2012, 08:01 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by axr6
Guys

I truly do not understand why we have to express such negativity regarding the Vette or, any other car. If you think the Jag is superior for what ever reason, fine, that is your choice. But, why sour other people because they may decide to buy a Vette or, can only afford a Vette?

Vettes have been recognized by most experts as some of the best sports car values, period. At one point of my life, when all out performance was my chief objective the light-weight, high-powered ZO6 or ZR1 would have been clearly preferred against the lesser all around performances of heavier GT cars, like the XK/XKR. I never got around owning a Vette but, owned various Mustangs, RX-7s, each with aftermarket performances that well exceeded the top price range and brand offerings of the times. At that time, if was great fun absolutely blowing away high priced Porsches, Ferraris etc. Now, my priorities have changed and prefer the softer, more sophisticated feel of the Jag.

So, it is a matter of priority. If I wanted to the the baddest racer in town, I would be willing to accept a lower quality interior/exterior. If I want a performance "presentation" car, I buy a Jag or other premium bands. Simple as that. IMHO, both the Vette and the Jag are fine cars having different attractions for different priorities.

Albert
I don't think anyone is disputing any of that. In fact, I think those are the same things others are saying!

Old 08-11-2012, 05:54 AM
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by axr6
Guys

Albert
I think people are being honest. The OP is asking for a comparison between the XK and Corvette. The interior is horrible in the Vette. This is truth and fact!!

The same way people moan about the technology in the Jaguar compared to German cars.

Most cars will have a weaknesses.

As someone pointed out earlier, I wish Corvette would stop trying to be something it's not inside. It's not a luxury brand, so why and earth wrap the whole car in faux leather. It just makes things worse. On the higher performance models like my Z06 and ZR1, I'd prefer a stripped back interior. For a so called 'track car', the seats are shocking. No support what so ever, I slide all over the shiny cheap leather. It needs proper bucket seats covered alcantara to stop you sliding. They should strip this back as they do in a Porsche GT3 for example.

I own both cars (XKR & Z06) so speak from first hand experience.
Most forums I've been on the most common moan regarding Corvette is the shocking interior.

I don't buy the argument I'd rather have performance over luxury. That may have been the case a decade ago, but in todays world we have the cheaper brands like Ford, Citroen, Renault, Skoda dam even the Koreans making seriously fast cars for a fraction of the price of a Corvette + have better quality interiors than the Corvette!!

Last edited by johnnnnnnyy; 08-11-2012 at 06:34 AM.
Old 08-11-2012, 08:17 AM
Veteran Member

Even the XKR has some shortfalls. Like the Corvette, for the price, a lot of journalists have complained about interior quality.

Old 08-11-2012, 11:01 AM
Veteran Member
Received 594 Likes on 422 Posts

Originally Posted by johnnnnnnyy
As someone pointed out earlier, I wish Corvette would stop trying to be something it's not inside. It's not a luxury brand, so why and earth wrap the whole car in faux leather. It just makes things worse. On the higher performance models like my Z06 and ZR1, I'd prefer a stripped back interior. For a so called 'track car', the seats are shocking. No support what so ever, I slide all over the shiny cheap leather. It needs proper bucket seats covered alcantara to stop you sliding. They should strip this back as they do in a Porsche GT3 for example.
Faux leather? Heresy? Hmmm... if I remember correctly for the longest time the standard interior in many high priced Mercedes and Porsche models were... gasp... cheap faux leather (vinyl). And, if we are talking about trashy interiors, lets not forget the long decades of Porsche 911 interiors. I swear the Russian Lada cars had richer looking interiors than the 911.

Unfortunately, there is a lot of snobbism when it comes to judging anything that America makes when it comes to cars. Those snob "auto experts" always praised the (then) present models of the German Porsche as being the best thing since sliced bread while pointing out that the 911 model that they replaced had horrible interiors and horrible handling traits. Germans could do nor wrong with their vinyls while the Americans are being put down for a single feature even though those ZO6s and ZR1 will run circles around those German cars in just about any and every performance category.

I remember one comparison test years ago between the Vette and a 911. The Vette blew the 911 completely off, beating it by as much as 2.5 seconds per lap on the track. That is HUGE! So, in the conclusion of the article the author still picked the 911 for the #1 spot, saying that it had a "soul" that the Vette did not have. Can you believe that???

As to the un-supportive seats in the Vette? I do not know for certain why they put them in there but, I can guess. Most American owners of high performance cars will never seriously use the abilities of the car. They will never seriously throw the car into corners where they would need the highly bolstered seats. Thus, the priority of GM may have been to make the getting in and out easier for most folks without having to contort themselves around those bolsters.

Let me suggest something; if you are really serious about high performance driving, you should not balk at some customization of your vehicle. I got 14 lbs, super supportive carbon racing seats in my 500 HP, 2600 lbs twin turbo RX-7. That is the ultimate driver's seat for serious cornering work and performance. Anyone can replace the seat in the vette for a couple of thosand dollars and be king of the hill all around. Of course, you will have to be somewhat of a contortionist getting in and out but, hey, if that is your priority...?

Albert

The following users liked this post:
SeismicGuy (08-11-2012)
Old 08-11-2012, 12:02 PM
Veteran Member
Received 539 Likes on 402 Posts

Albert--agree on virtually all points. What you can get dollar for dollar with the Corvette, starting especially with the introduction of the C4, embarrassed the hell of out the European models. And there is certainly a certain heritage and history when it comes to the Corvette.

With pretty much all of the car magazines, there is always a European bias when it comes to comparing almost any non-European model. This is especially true with sport sedans when any Asian manufacturer dares to challenge BMW. The Asian model could score more points on every measurable item but end up losing points when it comes to some intangible like "soul".

Also, getting back to the Corvette versus XK comparison, isn't it a given that if you are spending twice the price and are in the $100K area, you should be getting a nicer interior?

Doug

Quick Reply: Corvette To Jaguar