XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Corvette Z06 Owner looking to make the switch to an XKR- Advice needed PLS and TY

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2016, 07:27 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Corvette Z06 Owner looking to make the switch to an XKR- Advice needed PLS and TY

Hey guys

not sure what it is , maybe its because the 07-09 xkr's are becoming more and more affordable, or perhaps its just that I want to get into something with both speed and luxury, but im really considering an XKR as my next vehicle.

Im a lexus guy at heart, I got into the C5 corvettes for something a little more fun, but they really lack the refinement of a luxury vehicle so im wondering what sort of issues can I expect from an 07-09 XKR?

Been trolling the forums for a while and I have to admit, the XKR's don't seem to be having the same catastrophic issues that have plagued other jags

I don't see any tranny issues, engine isssues, seems like a lot of minor stuff , electrical gremlins etc...

My main concern is the drivetrain, engine ,tranny, etc....

Is there anything I need to look out for when purchasing one of these?

Do they need timing belt replacement?

Is the engine forged?

Is there any way to safely turn up the boost on the supercharger?

Any ingo would be greatly appreciated

Thanks in advance

Old 08-02-2016, 10:14 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,209 Likes on 915 Posts

The issues that seem to pop up the most on the 07-09's on this forum seem to be as follows:
1. Electrical/electronic gremlins caused by tired (undercharged) battery. Solution, acquire a battery tender such as a Deltek or Ctek. Both can be bought on Amazon for less than $100US with any accessories you might want. Very easy installation, then plug in when your jag is going to sit idle for any length of time.
2. Water pump failure. may happen anytime from 30k miles on. Be very aware of coolant odor, leaks etc. If it should happen be sure you get the latest water pump for the 4.2L engine
3. Clogged duck bill in condensate outlet. Solution, cut duckbill off or make other modification. There are several threads on this forum regarding this issue.
4. Dashboard pulling (bubbling). Jaguar didn't fasten the leather with staples and the adhesive fails. Usually happens in hot climates, may not be an issue in Toronto. Solution, remove dash pull leather covering tight and staple leather to cowl.

That's all I can think of offhand. Good hunting and be patient.

Old 08-02-2016, 10:20 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,575 Likes on 1,419 Posts

The 4.2L engine is well tested since it's been in Xk/XKRs since 2003, so that should put your mind at ease. It's an excellent engine and the entire drivetrain is well tried and true. Coming out of a Z06, you may want to consider the 5.0L cars that started in 2010. The power is stunning, the suspension is stiffer and a bit more taut, the look is bit more aggressive. With a $699 pulley/tune combination, you're pushing 600hp. Lots of fun in either case.

Old 08-02-2016, 10:50 PM
Veteran Member
Received 360 Likes on 254 Posts

Ok 1Willy1, look down a few posts..."seek and ye shall find"
Happy Motoring....

Old 08-02-2016, 11:09 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,233 Likes on 789 Posts

My 2009 XKR has performed flawlessly without any problems whatsoever.

If your thinking about a 2007 to 2009, consider this 2009 XKR, which is one of my personal vehicles that I have for sale.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/322208789597...AIT&rmvSB=true

Happy hunting for your XKR, you will not be disappointed in any way.

Old 08-08-2016, 04:21 PM
Received 50 Likes on 42 Posts

I own a 2006 XJR, 4.2 400hp and a 2010 XKR, 5.0 510 hp. The cars weigh about the same. The performance difference is stunning. Don't get me wrong, the 4.2 delivers great power, but....................it isn't 510!

Old 08-08-2016, 07:09 PM
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm getting the 45K service done (again - was done 2 years ago at 40K - now at 42K) at the end of this week, then a full detail prior to listing (for sale) my 2010 XKR that still is under factory warranty until 12/16 if you are interested.

Old 08-15-2016, 11:07 PM

Originally Posted by tberg
The 4.2L engine is well tested since it's been in Xk/XKRs since 2003, so that should put your mind at ease. It's an excellent engine and the entire drivetrain is well tried and true. Coming out of a Z06, you may want to consider the 5.0L cars that started in 2010. The power is stunning, the suspension is stiffer and a bit more taut, the look is bit more aggressive. With a $699 pulley/tune combination, you're pushing 600hp. Lots of fun in either case.
Interesting

that's good to know , engine/tanny/drivetrain is what I care most about

Is there a pulley tune combo for the 4.2's as well?

Id love a newer model but its out of my price range, I will end up in an 07-09 model, just wanting to get an idea of what to becareful of

Old 08-15-2016, 11:08 PM

Originally Posted by ralphwg
The issues that seem to pop up the most on the 07-09's on this forum seem to be as follows:
1. Electrical/electronic gremlins caused by tired (undercharged) battery. Solution, acquire a battery tender such as a Deltek or Ctek. Both can be bought on Amazon for less than $100US with any accessories you might want. Very easy installation, then plug in when your jag is going to sit idle for any length of time.
2. Water pump failure. may happen anytime from 30k miles on. Be very aware of coolant odor, leaks etc. If it should happen be sure you get the latest water pump for the 4.2L engine
3. Clogged duck bill in condensate outlet. Solution, cut duckbill off or make other modification. There are several threads on this forum regarding this issue.
4. Dashboard pulling (bubbling). Jaguar didn't fasten the leather with staples and the adhesive fails. Usually happens in hot climates, may not be an issue in Toronto. Solution, remove dash pull leather covering tight and staple leather to cowl.

That's all I can think of offhand. Good hunting and be patient.
Thanks man

sounds minor enough

Ever hear of the 4.2 guys blowing an engine or tranny?

That's my main concern

thanks

Old 08-15-2016, 11:59 PM
Banned
Received 238 Likes on 180 Posts

If you're a Lexus guy at heart you'll find the XK/XKR far superior in handling and feel... if you're a former vette guy you'll find it is FAR superior in fit/finish/refinement as this car wasn't built by disgruntled union workers sourcing parts from the cheapest bidder.

As for issues you inquired about... pretty much zero. No pattern or frequency of tranny or engine failure at all these cars are pretty much bullet proof

Old 08-16-2016, 12:11 AM
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Leeper
If you're a Lexus guy at heart you'll find the XK/XKR far superior in handling and feel... if you're a former vette guy you'll find it is FAR superior in fit/finish/refinement as this car wasn't built by disgruntled union workers sourcing parts from the cheapest bidder.

As for issues you inquired about... pretty much zero. No pattern or frequency of tranny or engine failure at all these cars are pretty much bullet proof

Thanks man, that's great to hear

and you've pretty much nailed it , I have a lexus which is super reliable, great fit and finish, great engineering, but yes...a bit BORING to drive

Then theres the vette, super fun to drive, got the cool factor , the power and the looks, but the interior looks like it was put together by a 8th grader for his show and tell project

The Jag , im hoping would be sort of the in between for both, a luxurious car, with the power/fun and cool factor as well

My main concern like I said is the reliability factor, we all know jag isn't known for that, but so far im liking what im hearing

Old 08-16-2016, 01:13 AM
Banned

That reputation was pretty spot-on for earlier Jags, it is far from reality with the X150 models (2007-2015). Reliability is always my primary criteria when looking at cars, even before performance or looks. These engines are fantastic in terms of reliability, the transmissions are ZF (used in many Chryslers, Audi's, Jeep, BMW, Maseratti's, Bentley's, Rolls Royce, etc)

Lexus makes a fine car but not "inspring", attractive, or exclusive. Great quality, fantastic dealership support (not always the case but by far and away rated the highest overall). Agreed on the vette interiors, sans the newest model which is leaps and bounds better. The quality of parts and assembly were FAR from good, touching any of the controls just feels so cheap, lots of rattles even when new but they went fast so most were willing to forego those things.

If performance is your thing you'll likely want to opt for the XKR... even more so the case you may want to go for the 2010-2015 which had the larger (5.0 vs 4.2L) SC engine. Personally I no longer desire to race (raced cars and sport bikes for years) so I opted for the 2007 XK with absolutely no regrets but that will be your personal choice. Even with a supercharger they are highly reliable surprisingly.

Bottom line is these cars are marvelous to drive and nothing like what the old ones were like. I'd suggest going to a local dealer that may have one listed and go drive it to decide for yourself... if you feel like most do here then take a look at the MANY posts (using the search feature) as to the best way to go about purchasing one, buyers tips, etc).

Old 08-16-2016, 01:27 AM

Originally Posted by Leeper
That reputation was pretty spot-on for earlier Jags, it is far from reality with the X150 models (2007-2015). Reliability is always my primary criteria when looking at cars, even before performance or looks. These engines are fantastic in terms of reliability, the transmissions are ZF (used in many Chryslers, Audi's, Jeep, BMW, Maseratti's, Bentley's, Rolls Royce, etc)

Lexus makes a fine car but not "inspring", attractive, or exclusive. Great quality, fantastic dealership support (not always the case but by far and away rated the highest overall). Agreed on the vette interiors, sans the newest model which is leaps and bounds better. The quality of parts and assembly were FAR from good, touching any of the controls just feels so cheap, lots of rattles even when new but they went fast so most were willing to forego those things.

If performance is your thing you'll likely want to opt for the XKR... even more so the case you may want to go for the 2010-2015 which had the larger (5.0 vs 4.2L) SC engine. Personally I no longer desire to race (raced cars and sport bikes for years) so I opted for the 2007 XK with absolutely no regrets but that will be your personal choice. Even with a supercharger they are highly reliable surprisingly.

Bottom line is these cars are marvelous to drive and nothing like what the old ones were like. I'd suggest going to a local dealer that may have one listed and go drive it to decide for yourself... if you feel like most do here then take a look at the MANY posts (using the search feature) as to the best way to go about purchasing one, buyers tips, etc).
Thanks , and agreed on most of what you said

Im into power but not a racer, cant afford the newer models but the 07-09 xkR (supercharged) is a must, not interested in the XK , nice car but I want the blower.

My z06 is supercharged with a magnacharger, a top mounted blower similar to what the jag would have (im assuming), very reliable and still gets nearly 30mpg's, but its real rough and leaves a lot to desire as we both talked about already

I been trolling here silently for a while and im pretty surprised to see no real issues, like blown head gaskets, slipping trans etc... , so im just waiting for the right xkr to pop up and ill go check it out

Thanks again for the info , especially on the tranny, gonna do a lil research on it

Old 08-16-2016, 01:52 AM
Banned

I looked for mine off and on for almost a year. I got to 3 that fit my needs - one in Arkansas, one local, and one in Detroit. I wound up getting the one in Detroit flying out there last December driving it home to San Diego. the point is that due to the few numbers made, fewer good examples, you may need/want to open up your search zone to ensure you find the finest example that fits your needs. Make sure to check it out well preferably have it PPI'd ) pre-purchase inspection) at a reputable Jag place whether that be with a good dealership or trustworthy indi. In the meantime go drive a XKR to make sure it fits your desires... if it does do your reading here and you'll find a wealth of info

Old 08-16-2016, 05:09 AM
Received 50 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by 1Willy1
Thanks , and agreed on most of what you said

Im into power but not a racer, cant afford the newer models but the 07-09 xkR (supercharged) is a must, not interested in the XK , nice car but I want the blower.
Since you want a 4.2, you should also look at the X100 section; as a number of guys there have done performance mods that may interest you.

Old 08-16-2016, 09:23 AM
Received 2,263 Likes on 1,845 Posts

T
we all know jag isn't known for that, but so far im liking what im hearing

You're about 30 years behind the times. Jags from the 90s onwards are just as reliable as any other premium brand- including Lexus.

You don't hear anybody calling those 'Jap scrap' anymore, but the myths of Jags being unreliable live on. That's one big reason why the depreciation curve is so steep.

Old 08-16-2016, 01:49 PM

Originally Posted by Mikey
You're about 30 years behind the times. Jags from the 90s onwards are just as reliable as any other premium brand- including Lexus.

You don't hear anybody calling those 'Jap scrap' anymore, but the myths of Jags being unreliable live on. That's one big reason why the depreciation curve is so steep.
lol, well im not here to bash the Jaguar name, im here because I would like to purchase one.....BUT...to say jags from the 90's onwards as as reliable as Lexus or any other brand is way far off base....

Old 08-16-2016, 01:49 PM

Originally Posted by SickRob
Since you want a 4.2, you should also look at the X100 section; as a number of guys there have done performance mods that may interest you.

Thanks , im assuming the x100 is the previous model xk?

Ill check it out, thanks

Old 08-16-2016, 02:01 PM
Veteran Member
Received 5,360 Likes on 3,174 Posts

LOL. Well I'm not here to bash the Jaguar name, I'm here because I would like to purchase one.....BUT...to say Jags from the 90's onward as as reliable as Lexus or any other brand is way far off base....
I sort of think he meant on a year-to-year basis. Of course a 1998 Jaguar won't compare to a 2016 Lexus, but the opposite is also true.

Old 08-16-2016, 02:46 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,383 Likes on 1,609 Posts

to say jags from the 90's onwards as as reliable as Lexus or any other brand is way far off base....
He is quite right- they are infinitely more reliable than many of the brands historically known for reliability such as BMW, Mercedes and Subaru.

What's happened is a two-fold punch, those brands achieved reliability pre 90s through simplicity. Once they joined the complex luxury gang, they had bigger problems. Secondly, in the 90's the automotive world became global and modular, big players entered the market and supplying all. Take ZF transmission for instance, not only do you get ultra reliable, you also get incredible performance- But here is the kicker, Jaguar was the early adopter of these parts sourced from best-of-breed external suppliers, since it had nothing.

Another huge element is that England has some of the best automotive minds in the world, not a lot of people know that. Lets take a current example, now that the field has been leveled, BMW has had a nightmare on its hands with its direct injection engines, you can set your watch by when the heads will need to be taken apart and cleaned of carbon. Around 50,000 miles, Jaguar engineers managed to entirely avoid that problem. And they have the higher HP beast.

Also, being the underdog, Jaguar lacks the engineering arrogance (the merc way of the highway) it shows in the reliability and at the parts counter.