XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Corvette Z06 Owner looking to make the switch to an XKR- Advice needed PLS and TY

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2016, 02:54 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,233 Likes on 789 Posts

Since your looking at a 2007 to 2009 Jaguar XKR, what are your expectations for price, condition, mileage and body style that prefer (Coupe or Convertible)?

These criteria will be important in the deciding factors.

High quality 2007 to 2009 Jaguar XKR's will be hard to come by unless your willing to find a high mileage vehicle.

Old 08-16-2016, 03:53 PM
Received 50 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by 1Willy1
Thanks , im assuming the x100 is the previous model xk?

Ill check it out, thanks

Yes the X100 ended in 2006 and had the 4.2 motor starting in '03.

I looked at some 07-09 R cars at the beginning of this year; as part of my overall search. Every now and then I came across a nice, lower mileage unit; but not that many. Just be patient. I finally decided I wanted the 510hp, to heck with the price. I'm glad I did, but I have no ball and chain to clank at me every day about money!

Old 08-16-2016, 05:18 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Cee Jay
I sort of think he meant on a year-to-year basis. Of course a 1998 Jaguar won't compare to a 2016 Lexus, but the opposite is also true.

thanks, and again not trying to knock jaguar, I think they are very stylish cars with a lot going for them, but here in the classifieds its very easy to come across jags from the 90's with blown head gaskets, blown trannys, engine issues, swapped engines etc...

But I get what you are saying, that the reliability issue miught be blown out of proportion and that is great to hear, also many other brands are suffering from all sorts of issues as well, so itsa not just Jag that may or may not of had "issues"

Originally Posted by Queen and Country
He is quite right- they are infinitely more reliable than many of the brands historically known for reliability such as BMW, Mercedes and Subaru.

What's happened is a two-fold punch, those brands achieved reliability pre 90s through simplicity. Once they joined the complex luxury gang, they had bigger problems. Secondly, in the 90's the automotive world became global and modular, big players entered the market and supplying all. Take ZF transmission for instance, not only do you get ultra reliable, you also get incredible performance- But here is the kicker, Jaguar was the early adopter of these parts sourced from best-of-breed external suppliers, since it had nothing.

Another huge element is that England has some of the best automotive minds in the world, not a lot of people know that. Lets take a current example, now that the field has been leveled, BMW has had a nightmare on its hands with its direct injection engines, you can set your watch by when the heads will need to be taken apart and cleaned of carbon. Around 50,000 miles, Jaguar engineers managed to entirely avoid that problem. And they have the higher HP beast.

Also, being the underdog, Jaguar lacks the engineering arrogance (the merc way of the highway) it shows in the reliability and at the parts counter.
Good post, you don't want to get me started on German vehicles, I don't have much respect for them mainly because of their "cost of ownership" mainly relating to maintenance and reliability.

I find everything about them to be overinflated, including their reputation as great vehicles, I just don't see the appeal.

Its good to see you guys here very confident and sure of your Jag's, I was a member of the Mercedes forums for a while when I was trying to learn about them years ago and many people there have lost all faith in their brand, and are very vocal about it.

Originally Posted by richzak
Since your looking at a 2007 to 2009 Jaguar XKR, what are your expectations for price, condition, mileage and body style that prefer (Coupe or Convertible)?

These criteria will be important in the deciding factors.

High quality 2007 to 2009 Jaguar XKR's will be hard to come by unless your willing to find a high mileage vehicle.

Im finding them with approx. 60 000 -70 000 miles - 80 000 miles for the $25-$28 thousand range

Id love to pick one up for $25k or less, coupe or convertible im not too picky about that right now

Originally Posted by SickRob
Yes the X100 ended in 2006 and had the 4.2 motor starting in '03.

I looked at some 07-09 R cars at the beginning of this year; as part of my overall search. Every now and then I came across a nice, lower mileage unit; but not that many. Just be patient. I finally decided I wanted the 510hp, to heck with the price. I'm glad I did, but I have no ball and chain to clank at me every day about money!
cool, yea I wish I could get the 510, but here they cant be found for under $50-$60k, and its just way out of my budget unfortunately

Old 08-16-2016, 05:40 PM
Banned
Received 238 Likes on 180 Posts

You can find a good 2010 XKR for $35K or under

Old 08-16-2016, 08:19 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,209 Likes on 915 Posts

Leeper - 1willy1 is in Canada. I believe that is what accounts for the higher prices.

Old 08-16-2016, 08:29 PM
Received 2,263 Likes on 1,845 Posts

Originally Posted by Cee Jay
I sort of think he meant on a year-to-year basis. Of course a 1998 Jaguar won't compare to a 2016 Lexus, but the opposite is also true.
Exactly.

Old 08-16-2016, 09:47 PM

Originally Posted by ralphwg
Leeper - 1willy1 is in Canada. I believe that is what accounts for the higher prices.
Yes that is correct

If I found a 2010 + for $35k or less id be looking at those

Old 08-16-2016, 11:04 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,575 Likes on 1,419 Posts

There are plenty of 5.0L XKRs at $35K or less, so you haven't looked very thoroughly. I bought mine more than two years ago for $38K, and I have seen many in the low $30's.

Old 08-16-2016, 11:31 PM

Originally Posted by tberg
There are plenty of 5.0L XKRs at $35K or less, so you haven't looked very thoroughly. I bought mine more than two years ago for $38K, and I have seen many in the low $30's.

EDIT:

found a few examples in the low $40's, so might not be as bad as I thought

I really wasn't paying much attention to the 10+, only the 07-09

Last edited by 1Willy1; 08-16-2016 at 11:55 PM.
Old 08-17-2016, 12:08 AM
Banned
Received 238 Likes on 180 Posts

People live in Canada??? Wow

Old 08-17-2016, 08:44 AM

When I was shopping at the beginning of this year I saw 2010's in the mid/low $30's; but I was not impressed by what I saw. I am not a mechanic in any sense of the word, my tools are the pen and checkbook; so I wanted a very clean, low mileage car. I found it, 16000 mi., $40k.

Old 08-17-2016, 04:58 PM
Veteran Member
Received 5,360 Likes on 3,174 Posts

To maybe shed some light on this......
One Canadian Dollar equals seventy eight US Cents.
40,000 CD = 31,200 USD.
Stated 25-28k CD range is 19,500 US to 21,840 US.
In Pounds-Sterling? Blimey, I don't know... 14,000 or so I'd think.

Old 08-17-2016, 05:58 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,246 Likes on 1,361 Posts

Originally Posted by Leeper
People live in Canada??? Wow
Shocking, isn't it? And if a certain US presidential candidate wins, there may be quite a few more new Canadian residents. Watching the meltdown from across the border is mesmerizing and terrifying in equal doses.

To the Toronto OP: you might think of a car from Victoria or Vancouver (no winters as you know them and generally lower kms) and you might think of an XK with the 4.2 engine: it simply does not have the potential issues of the 5 litre engine, and it is more than, much more than sufficiently powerful. In fact this morning I saw for sale a beautiful black 2007 coupe here in Victoria but you pay for corrosion-free, low km cars from the southwest of Canada - and generally the higher cost is repaid many times over in ownership satisfaction.
By the way, with regard to reliability, these cars are superb, as are all modern Jaguars.

Old 08-17-2016, 08:25 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,839 Likes on 1,233 Posts

[QUOTE=sov211;1518115]Shocking, isn't it? And if a certain US presidential candidate wins, there may be quite a few more new Canadian residents. Watching the meltdown from across the border is mesmerizing and terrifying in equal doses.

To the Toronto OP: you might think of a car from Victoria or Vancouver (no winters as you know them and generally lower kms) and you might think of an XK with the 4.2 engine: it simply does not have the potential issues of the 5 litre engine, and it is more than, much more than sufficiently powerful. In fact this morning I saw for sale a beautiful black 2007 coupe here in Victoria but you pay for corrosion-free, low km cars

If she does win I doubt there will be to many people moving up north.
As to the difference in cost I guess it goes back to the salary earnings between the two countries. What kind of a problem is it to buy a US car and ship it up north.

Old 08-17-2016, 09:14 PM
Received 2,263 Likes on 1,845 Posts

Originally Posted by sov211
Shocking, isn't it? And if a certain US presidential candidate wins, there may be quite a few more new Canadian residents. Watching the meltdown from across the border is mesmerizing and terrifying in equal doses.
Isn't it cool knowing that we have nice, safe VIP ringside seats to witness the potential implosion? I've heard that the build-the-wall campaign has exceeded it's target and is fully funded by private contributions.

Please add your clicks of support

Brickstarter

Old 08-17-2016, 10:04 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,233 Likes on 789 Posts

Originally Posted by Mikey
Isn't it cool knowing that we have nice, safe VIP ringside seats to witness the potential implosion? I've heard that the build-the-wall campaign has exceeded it's target and is fully funded by private contributions.
The build the wall is a real joke. I have lived just 45 miles north of the US/Mexico border for the last 45 years.

The myth of 1000's per day crossing or running across the border is crazy ridiculous numbers. There are plenty of walls and fences already in place in the major cities in Mexico along the US border.

Trump, if elected, which I seriously doubt will never get Mexico to pay for a wall.

As for the OP wanting to buy an XK/XKR with 70,000 to 80,000 miles, I would not suggest it. There should be plenty of XK/XKR's available here in the states, but importation from the US to Canada may be the problem, as well as price with a 28% increase due just to the exchange rates between the 2 countries.

https://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/motorvehicl...-index-445.htm

If the Jaguar brand is limited in production here in the USA, I would have to think a well maintained low mileage Jaguar XK/XKR might be very hard to find in Canada. Searching the eBay Canada listings tonight, there are none listed that are owned in Canada for sale by Canadian residents.

Best to the OP trying to find what he wants. May be a rough task.

Old 08-18-2016, 07:20 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,839 Likes on 1,233 Posts

Originally Posted by Mikey

Bricking It For Canada - The Last Leg - YouTube

Please add your clicks of support

Brickstarter
Good show and I enjoyed it. I would hope you are concerned if trump wins as the deserters from here may not be what you want. I do like the brick concept though.

The following users liked this post:
akc70 (08-18-2016)
Old 08-18-2016, 08:02 PM

So you people prefer Hillary who says the deaths of 4 diplomats is just a " bump in the road"? Pathetic!

Old 08-18-2016, 08:21 PM
Received 90 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by SickRob
So you people prefer Hillary who says the deaths of 4 diplomats is just a " bump in the road"? Pathetic!

Definitely search for a 2010 and up. 2013s are coming off of leases which will make 2010's a bit more affordable, and some will have only break in miles, which is quite common here in southeast Florida.

As to the four deaths Hillary was somehow responsible for. Two of those killed were CIA operatives who died 11 hours after the embassy attack in an unrelated event. The so called white house/Hillary cover up was a CIA story to obfuscate their operation. If you're going to hijack a thread on power with question of one's political leanings at least get the facts right, or know them to begin with. Cheers.

Old 08-18-2016, 08:29 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,575 Likes on 1,419 Posts

Check the new post added about a 2010XKR with low miles and still under the extended warranty. Gorgeous car, probably somewhat negotiable and in the high $30Ks to start.