XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Cover for Remote Ground in boot

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2020, 02:00 PM
Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Cover for Remote Ground in boot

On the advice of a fellow 2013 XK owner I bought a a Rugged Geek IntelliBoost (https://ruggedgeek.com/). Presumably it should be connected as the owners manual instructs for a jump start, i.e., using the remote positive behind the left trim panel in the boot and the remote negative on the right side of the spare compartment the floor panel. (See photo for the location of the latter.) A minor problem is the Rugged Geek booster cables are too short to connect to both the remote positive and negative. To solve this I'm thinking about just keeping a short battery cable or even an AWG12 wire with suitable connectors in the boot, perhaps permanently attached with a nut & washers to the remote negative post.

When I found the remote negative post I discovered the cover is missing. No big deal, but if possible I'd like to get the OE cover. Does anyone know the part number for this? I believe there's a parts manual somewhere on this site, but I can't find it.

Old 05-06-2020, 02:34 PM
Veteran Member
Received 409 Likes on 280 Posts

check out stickies section top of the xkr section. " how to "

Old 05-06-2020, 03:45 PM
Veteran Member
Received 5,431 Likes on 3,207 Posts

I never knew there WAS a boot, and why it'd even have or need one.

Old 05-06-2020, 05:56 PM

Sorry George, but don't know exactly what I should be looking for there. Are you saying the parts book for my 2013 XK is there somewhere? I've been in Jaguar Forums several months now, but still pretty green.

Old 05-06-2020, 06:07 PM

Originally Posted by Cee Jay
I never knew there WAS a boot, and why it'd even have or need one.
Sorry, Cee Jay. When I said "behind the left trim panel in the boot" I was referring to the trunk. Is "boot" no longer is the British car vocabulary?

Or, perhaps you meant you didn't know there was supposed to be a cover over the remote ground post? There must have been because the owners manual says to take it off. Also, the threads are not painted. No doubt some service tech lost or pitched. It clearly doesn't need a cover, other than cosmetically. I'd be willing to pay a few bucks just to keep the car as original as I can. Kind of stupid, I know

Old 05-06-2020, 08:21 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by jag_man653
Sorry, Cee Jay. When I said "behind the left trim panel in the boot" I was referring to the trunk. Is "boot" no longer is the British car vocabulary?

Or, perhaps you meant you didn't know there was supposed to be a cover over the remote ground post? There must have been because the owners manual says to take it off. Also, the threads are not painted. No doubt some service tech lost or pitched. It clearly doesn't need a cover, other than cosmetically. I'd be willing to pay a few bucks just to keep the car as original as I can. Kind of stupid, I know
Yes, sorry, I did mean 'cover'. I misread "the boot and the remote negative on the right side of the spare compartment the floor panel" as BOOT ON THE REMOTE..... and that's what happened.
Regardless, I've never seen a ground post cover and don't know why one would be needed. Course, I live in a dry area. I suppose a humid and salty aired area could cause a corrosion problem, even protected as it is.

Old 05-06-2020, 08:46 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,012 Likes on 1,345 Posts

I have cover on the remote positive terminal behind the panel on the left side, but no covers on any studs on the floor (like you pictured) around the spare tire.

Old 05-06-2020, 09:34 PM

There are a couple bolts on the left side floor panel, but they are painted so I do not think they are intended "remote grounds." But there is a similar bolt on the right side that's not painted and that seems to be what the diagram in the manual is referring to as the remote ground. It clearly says "remove the cover and attach the negative cable..." I'll bet the parts book would show it as an available part. Again, clearly not required for anything but cosmetic reasons.

Old 05-06-2020, 09:55 PM
Veteran Member

There are a couple bolts on the left side floor panel, but they are painted so I do not think they are intended "remote grounds." But there is a similar bolt on the right side that's not painted and that seems to be what the diagram in the manual is referring to as the remote ground. It clearly says "remove the cover and attach the negative cable..." I'll bet the parts book would show it as an available part. Again, clearly not required for anything but cosmetic reasons.
I'd say the "Cover" would be the cover over the spare well. The boot floor, as such.

Old 05-06-2020, 10:16 PM
Veteran Member
Received 6,320 Likes on 3,465 Posts

The remote positive terminal behind the cover in the left rear fender well has a red plastic cover. To the best of my recollection, the remote negative terminal in the trunk towards the rear bumper never had a black protective cap, notwithstanding the Owner's Handbook to the contrary. It's a moot point for me, because I've had my battery maintainer attached to those remote terminals for a very long time and don't need a cap.

Old 05-07-2020, 12:56 PM
Received 64 Likes on 32 Posts

There is another negative stud behind the left cover so no need to take out the spare wheel cover. It is just easier to connect. BTW this stud has no cover as well

Old 05-07-2020, 01:03 PM
Veteran Member
Received 674 Likes on 335 Posts

I'm with CeeJay on this one, not sure why you would need a cover for the negative, but if you want one I'm sure a vacuum line cap would suffice...

The following 2 users liked this post by TexasTraveler:
Cee Jay (05-07-2020), guy (05-11-2020)
Old 05-08-2020, 10:22 AM

Originally Posted by DannyJ
There is another negative stud behind the left cover so no need to take out the spare wheel cover. It is just easier to connect. BTW this stud has no cover as well
Is it accessible through the same access port as the remote positive? I've not seen it there. There might be some bolts there that are grounded, but I expect the one specifically provided for the jump start is a more direct path.

Old 05-08-2020, 10:28 AM

Originally Posted by TexasTraveler
I'm with CeeJay on this one, not sure why you would need a cover for the negative, but if you want one I'm sure a vacuum line cap would suffice...
I agree, Tex, it's not needed for any technical reason. As I said earlier, I'm just interested in originality. I'm a judge for JCNA Concours events and know points can be lost over things like this. Also, it's somehow displeasing to see this one bare bolt sticking up there when everything else is painted. I do have a vacuum cap over it now.

Old 05-08-2020, 03:26 PM
Received 64 Likes on 32 Posts

Is it accessible through the same access port as the remote positive? I've not seen it there. There might be some bolts there that are grounded, but I expect the one specifically provided for the jump start is a more direct path.
it's not on the floor near the positive bit on the back side of the rear light

Old 05-08-2020, 03:50 PM
Veteran Member

I agree, Tex, it's not needed for any technical reason. As I said earlier, I'm just interested in originality. I'm a judge for JCNA Concours events and know points can be lost over things like this. ...
My apologies!

As a JCNA Concourse judge, how many X150 owners still have this bottle of Jaguar Leather Care? tt was standard equipment and I suspect that most owners probably threw it away after it was empty. It's strapped in the trunk near the remote battery + terminal cover.

lt's almost full, since I've been using Griot's leather care since I bought my XKR in 2010.

The following users liked this post:
guy (05-11-2020)
Old 05-08-2020, 06:30 PM
Veteran Member
Received 633 Likes on 410 Posts

Actually, for the negative any ground works. The only direct path would be a wire from the charger direct to the battery, a body stud like this just goes into the overall car's ground that the wires hook into also.

Jaguar putting that there is just a nice consistent spot where there is not paint or coating to get a clean connection. I simply attached my permanent charge ground wire to the stud that the rear light attaches on to, unscrewed the bolt, put on the eyelet terminal, reattached bolt. Easy peasy.

I agree, Tex, it's not needed for any technical reason. As I said earlier, I'm just interested in originality. I'm a judge for JCNA Concours events and know points can be lost over things like this. Also, it's somehow displeasing to see this one bare bolt sticking up there when everything else is painted. I do have a vacuum cap over it now.
This is super detailed (****?), nicely done!

Originally Posted by Stuart S
My apologies!

As a JCNA Concourse judge, how many X150 owners still have this bottle of Jaguar Leather Care? tt was standard equipment and I suspect that most owners probably threw it away after it was empty. It's strapped in the trunk near the remote battery + terminal cover.

Very cool, learned something new, thanks. I use that little strap to tuck my battery charger wire aside.

Old 05-09-2020, 11:17 AM
Received 109 Likes on 87 Posts
Unhappy

I always wondered why my '07 coupe was a little light in the rear!!
Yes, I do have an empty strap! does the bottle of leather prep have a part no?
It's taken me 9 years to find out I'm missing a part! You learn something new every day.................
I am also a JCNA judge and even won a 1st place with my Coupe (did not get dinged for missing bottle!!) but I don't judge Al. XK's only XKE's.
May have to make one myself!

Stay safe everybody..........need the part no.!!

Cheers, Adrian

Old 05-09-2020, 05:09 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,490 Likes on 908 Posts

Originally Posted by britannia
Stay safe everybody..........need the part no.!!
GJE 4761 AA

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...9/#post2069467

The one listed in the part system though is C2D18424.

Old 05-09-2020, 06:20 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by u102768
GJE 4761 AA

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...9/#post2069467

The one listed in the part system though is C2D18424.
The bottle design and label of C2D1842C2 differs from mine. I don't know when the change occurred.

Mine

Quick Reply: Cover for Remote Ground in boot