XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

CPO Dealer End of Warranty Inspection: UPDATE

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2020, 12:35 PM
DGL
Veteran Member
Received 931 Likes on 609 Posts
Default CPO Dealer End of Warranty Inspection: UPDATE

Some may have been following my posts on my car going in for an end of CPO warranty inspection. Here is an update to their findings:

1. Supercharger isolator needs to be replaced. This is on order and is covered by warranty.

Should I order the solid isolator and bearings and have the dealer replace the defective one with it? I assume the dealer will also change the supercharger oil? With the supercharger off to replace the isolator should I also have them replace the hose under the supercharger or anything else during this time?

2. They checked the water pump and said it was good.

3. They greased the top latching mechanism for the grinding noise it made once. I hope this is all it was.

4. TPMS not monitored message. Two TPMS sensors were bad. Both covered under warranty. Should I order two more and have them all changed?

Last edited by GGG; 05-20-2020 at 02:57 AM. Reason: Edit typo in thread title
Old 05-19-2020, 12:38 PM
Veteran Member
Received 5,360 Likes on 3,174 Posts

DEFINITELY have the hoses change below the charger! That's just plain common sense. Personally, I'd replace them with braided stainless teflon aircraft quality lines.
Since in there, I'd also do everything else you stated. I assume you will want to drive this car into the ground over the next fifty years, so make it as solid as possible. Only makes sense.

The following 2 users liked this post by Cee Jay:
DGL (05-19-2020), ralphwg (05-19-2020)
Old 05-19-2020, 02:47 PM
DGL
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Cee Jay
DEFINITELY have the hoses change below the charger! That's just plain common sense. Personally, I'd replace them with braided stainless teflon aircraft quality lines.
Since in there, I'd also do everything else you stated. I assume you will want to drive this car into the ground over the next fifty years, so make it as solid as possible. Only makes sense.

Yup. I plan on having this car for a long time. I asked the dealer if they would replace the isolator with a solid one I bought and they said, no. I will ask them to order the hose that goes under the supercharger and new bearings. I might pass on the bearings, there is only around 14K miles on the car. Is there just one hose under the supercharger? Do you know what the hoses are called, used for, and the part number?

To replace the isolator does the supercharger need to e removed? If they do the isolators from the front they will not have access to the hoses.

Last edited by DGL; 05-19-2020 at 03:12 PM.
Old 05-19-2020, 06:48 PM
DGL
Veteran Member

I just researched the supercharger. The torsion isolator is located in the back of the snout which is a separate serviceable part. Consequently, the supercharger will not be removed and the hoses will not be accessible. I'm glad I asked them to check it. When I bought the car from a Porsche dealer they never knew it even had a CPO warranty; I found out while doing my due diligence during the buying process. Why do I feel like I'm talking to myself on this forum? There use to be much more activity here in the X150 section--I miss the conversation.

Last edited by DGL; 05-19-2020 at 06:50 PM.
Old 05-19-2020, 08:54 PM
Veteran Member
Received 5,360 Likes on 3,174 Posts

Hey, I had/have no idea about what is where inside these things cuz I've not torn one apart yet. I had nothing to input so I kept my mouth shut.
I mostly figured the torsion isolator was on the front cuz 'belt' and such, but don't know much else about that.
I've found that some of the older forum members (been in forum longer, not age) have disappeared and we have quite a number of new guys in the past four-five years or so. Maybe that has something to do with it?

Old 05-19-2020, 09:29 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,209 Likes on 915 Posts

Glen - If I don't have something to add to the conversation I keep my mouth shut.

Old 05-19-2020, 10:05 PM
Veteran Member
Received 6,285 Likes on 3,449 Posts

There's still a lot of good conversation in this Forum from about 20 of us. We know who we are.

I had something to say in your other thread about the NOISE from top latch mechanism, and the dealer agreed with my suggestion. Just a lucky guess by an old school shade tree wrench jockey.

Friction causes noise. I learned that from my wife!

The following 4 users liked this post by Stuart S:
Cee Jay (05-19-2020), DGL (05-20-2020), Sean W (05-20-2020), V7Sport (05-20-2020)
Old 05-19-2020, 10:39 PM
Received 153 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by DGL
I just researched the supercharger. The torsion isolator is located in the back of the snout which is a separate serviceable part. Consequently, the supercharger will not be removed and the hoses will not be accessible. I'm glad I asked them to check it. When I bought the car from a Porsche dealer they never knew it even had a CPO warranty; I found out while doing my due diligence during the buying process. Why do I feel like I'm talking to myself on this forum? There use to be much more activity here in the X150 section--I miss the conversation.
I have a 2012 XF Supercharged so my experiences might not be correct for the XKR but from what I understand the engine stuff is identical. I've remove the supercharger twice now - everyone needs a hobby, and I doubt the snout can be removed with the supercharger in place. Nothing in the manual indicates this is possible and I've never seen a tech post a way around this. If I were you, I'd change the rear coolant manifold which is a two piece welded part and the rubber hose that runs from that manifold to the throttle body, I would also make sure you have the latest "Y" pipe and coolant manifold at the front of the engine. The old design used a two-piece manifold and a rather complicated connection to the "Y" pipe. I'd also check to make sure you have the latest water pump plumbing as it changed in later cars. And on the subject of the rear coolant manifold, I think I remember seeing that there was a new one-piece version available but it may have been wishful thinking,

And before you run out of warranty, the other thing I would check is the oil non-return valve located just below the oil cooler. You can do this by unscrewing the oil filter cover and seeing if the oil drains back though the filter housing and cooler. Mine was not holding and had to remove it and service the non-return valve with a new viton o ring.

Good luck with the repairs.

The following 3 users liked this post by TXFireblade:
DGL (05-20-2020), MarkyUK (08-30-2020), ralphwg (05-20-2020)
Old 05-20-2020, 05:42 AM
DGL
Veteran Member

Supercharger snout and repair kit from ebay:

The following 2 users liked this post by DGL:
Reaxions (05-01-2022), SinF (05-21-2020)
Old 05-20-2020, 08:11 AM
Received 697 Likes on 351 Posts

Why did you order a snout? I thought it was just the torsion isolator/bearings. SNG Barrat has illustrations for the valley hoses and PNs - if you decide to take the S/C out.

I have to agree with TXFireBlade ... don't see how you can remove just the snout - maybe if you were a surgeon crossed with a mechanic of sorts. Would be a mess anyway with all the oil coming out.

Also, have you considered a S/C pulley upgrade?? Now would be ideal timing.

The following users liked this post:
DGL (05-20-2020)
Old 05-20-2020, 08:49 AM
Veteran Member
Received 633 Likes on 410 Posts

Know nothing about the supercharger part, but for the TPMS question I wouldn't replace the ones that are working still. No advantage as each replacement is it's own discreet process. Just because two are bad doesn't mean the other two are going to fail. My '12 TPMS are all still going strong.

DGL (05-20-2020)
Old 05-20-2020, 10:28 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,219 Likes on 2,367 Posts

Originally Posted by tampamark
Know nothing about the supercharger part, but for the TPMS question I wouldn't replace the ones that are working still. No advantage as each replacement is it's own discreet process. Just because two are bad doesn't mean the other two are going to fail. My '12 TPMS are all still going strong.
I agree. If it ain't broke....
Tire shops/dealers charge by the wheel so not sure what you gain, except they are nearing end of life. It takes a tire shop all of ten minutes to hold the tester near each wheel and confirm whether they are transmitting and if not, which ones aren't. I've never been charged for them to do this.
The only benefit, if you want to call it that is that you have on record that they were all replaced on XX/XX/XXXX date. This may or may not give you peace of mind. You've prolly been driving long enough to carry a tire gauge in your car so if the light comes on, you can do a quick check and address it later.

The Valley hose - my two cents, You likely have another 4 years on average before they crispy up and fail as they seem to do that around the 10 year mark. Of course where you live (temperatures year round, How often and hard you drive it are factors that play into this. R&R a SC is pricey even doing it yourself. If it's my car, I'd wait but you have to sleep at night.

Old 05-20-2020, 04:57 PM
DGL
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by gkubrak
Why did you order a snout? I thought it was just the torsion isolator/bearings. SNG Barrat has illustrations for the valley hoses and PNs - if you decide to take the S/C out.

I have to agree with TXFireBlade ... don't see how you can remove just the snout - maybe if you were a surgeon crossed with a mechanic of sorts. Would be a mess anyway with all the oil coming out.

I never ordered anything yet. These are just pictures off ebay from the supplier of the solid isolator.

Old 05-20-2020, 05:27 PM
DGL
Veteran Member

I called my Jaguar adviser today to have a conversation about what is being done and what other work could be done as preventative maintenance if the supercharger is to be pulled off giving access to other wear parts. It was a good conversation. My adviser asked the tech doing the work and he suggested it would be a good time to change out the hoses and known parts to cause problems. The tech will call me soon to discuss the work and the extra time. With the belts off I'll have him check the water pump for any free play in the pulley.

As for the TPMS wheel sensors, I'll have the bad ones replaced on the wheels with the old tires to ensure that it fixes the TPMS error message before changing to a new set of Michelin 4S. If I still get the TPMS error it will go back in under warranty as the problem was not fixed. I don't want to add the complexity of a tire shop messing with things until all warranty work is cleared having to do with the TPMS system.

One advisor at the dealer said they would not install an after market solid isolator. I understand his plight. They would offer no warranty and it could be problematic if things don't go as expected after the work is completed.

No, I will not be having the dealer do a so called upgrade to the upper pulley. I have no interest in having the car tuned and messing with the engine. I want all work to carry a warranty. I own this car because I love it just the way it is and want to maintain it in as new condition as possible and not abuse it.

Thanks for everyone's help. I've read a few good threads on the supercharger torsion isolator. The CPO warranty was a big bonus I discovered before I purchased the car which the seller knew nothing about--it provided me with extra insurance at no cost.

Last edited by DGL; 05-20-2020 at 05:33 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by DGL:
ralphwg (05-20-2020), Sean W (05-20-2020), SinF (05-21-2020)
Old 05-20-2020, 06:43 PM
DGL
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by gkubrak

Do you have a link to SNG Barrat of the valley hoses and PNs?

Old 05-20-2020, 07:00 PM
Veteran Member

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/vendor_directory.php

Once you get to the website, select the US site in the upper right of the webpage

US contact info is tel:+1-800-452-4787

EMAIL = sales.usa@sngbarratt.com

Last edited by Sean W; 05-20-2020 at 07:06 PM.
Old 05-20-2020, 07:36 PM
DGL
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Sean W
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/vendor_directory.php

Once you get to the website, select the US site in the upper right of the webpage

US contact info is tel:+1-800-452-4787

EMAIL = sales.usa@sngbarratt.com
I've been on their website, but find it very difficult to navigate. I could not find a diagram of the supercharger valley showing oil cooler hoses.

Old 05-20-2020, 08:34 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by DGL
I've been on their website, but find it very difficult to navigate. I could not find a diagram of the supercharger valley showing oil cooler hoses.
I might be misunderstanding. I thought you were referring to the valley hose which is a coolant line. Perhaps the 5.0 liter doesn't have that? I don't know. At any rate, if you pull the SC then yes, change the hose (coolant) assuming it exists.

I gave you their number so you could call them and they could help. They are helpful over the phone in my experience.

You 5.0 guys - is there a valley hose on the 5.0 and is that what DGL's referencing?

DGL (05-20-2020)
Old 05-20-2020, 08:52 PM
DGL
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Sean W
I might be misunderstanding. I thought you were referring to the valley hose which is a coolant line. Perhaps the 5.0 liter doesn't have that? I don't know. At any rate, if you pull the SC then yes, change the hose (coolant) assuming it exists.

I gave you their number so you could call them and they could help. They are helpful over the phone in my experience.

You 5.0 guys - is there a valley hose on the 5.0 and is that what DGL's referencing?
The oil cooler is located in the valley under the supercharger. I assume the suspected hoses go to and from the oil cooler. Are there other hoses? Font and rear manifolds, etc.? A thermostat is probably a good thing to throw in? I hope to talk with the tech tomorrow.

Old 05-20-2020, 09:29 PM
Received 153 Likes on 98 Posts

There is only one hose that runs under the supercharger (it's actually clipped to the bottom of the supercharger) and it connects the rear coolant manifold to the throttle body iirc. The part number is AJ813614. The oil cooler doesn't use hoses as the connections are through the base of the cooler with the exception of a coolant outlet that goes into the back of the water pump. .

Last edited by TXFireblade; 05-20-2020 at 09:33 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by TXFireblade:
DGL (05-21-2020), Reaxions (05-01-2022), Sean W (05-21-2020)

Quick Reply: CPO Dealer End of Warranty Inspection: UPDATE