XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

CPO Jaguar Warranty

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2018, 10:39 PM
Veteran Member
Received 6,320 Likes on 3,465 Posts

Originally Posted by glenroebuck
Knock on wood I have not had to use any warranty cpo or original so far..I am fast approching my 50K so any claim after that will be CPO - if I run into issues I will let EVERYONE know lol..
Is your Personal Profile correct? It shows that you drive a 2015 XF. This is the X150 Forum, for 2007-2015 XK/XKR models.

Old 03-23-2018, 12:10 AM
Veteran Member
Received 577 Likes on 324 Posts

I'm back - the person who thinks that both the Jaguar CPO program and good aftermarket warranties (or whatever, we all know what we're talking about) are NOT necessarily ripoffs. I'm sure some can be, but that's not been my experience. (You can look my adventures up on other threads - I'm about $12K ahead on mine. I bought the car with 8K miles on it, my warranty is -I don't even know any more - something like 6 years/100k miles; I paid between 3500 and $4000). I'm only chiming in because, ironically, here's communication between me and my service person at Rusnak Jaguar over a repair over the last few days:

Eden Esparza<xxx@rusnakautogroup.com>
3/21/2018 11:20 AM
To XXXXX

We narrowed down the click in the rear to a wheel bearing. I am hoping we can duplicate it when the inspector arrives. There are some other items in the suspension we also submitted for. I hope to have the inspector here by later today.

3/21/2018 2:21 PM
To XXXXXXX

Hi Peter,

I just received authorization on all repairs. I will need until Friday to complete the work.

Thanks,
Eden

So, in other words:yep , the warranty company is gonna pay for it, and yep, my payout will be $100 regardless of how many things they fix. (Oh, and NO-- I will not pay the whole bill and wait for a check. I will pay Rusknak Jaguar $100 and they work out the rest).
This is in addition to the warranty paying for, over the years I've had the car:
- an injector; a coil; supercharger rebuild; both rear taillights (the foglights were flickering and it was a little circuit board in each unit); e-differential replaced; front bushings; transmission mount.

(Oh, and-- I previously owned an '11 XK which was cpo'd, and I only brought it in twice, and both issues were taken care of for free. And one was a battery swap.)

And yes, the Jag CPO program requires you to bring the car to a jag dealership - but isn't that true of any car manufacturer's original warranty? If your Toyota breaks down under warranty, don't you have to take it to a Toyota dealer?

Finally - in terms of what's covered... I'd suggest buying the plan that covers the most (forget the "drivetrain warranty," especially on these cars), and then, two things:
- first, a common-sense rule: Black Things and Wet Things are never covered. Tires, brake pads, belts, hoses, rubber seals, many gaskets, fluids, etc. Never covered. Surfaces tend not to be covered. (I am sure my warranty WON'T cover the invetiable bubbling up of the dash.) As an example: I know, because I asked, that ALL the mechanicals of my convertible top are covered, BUT-- the cloth top itself is not covered. Also, of course, noises (squeaks and rattles), never covered. Also, a tip: aftermarket warranties are never preventative. You might have an occasional glitch, but they don't replace until it's a consistent problem.
Second, check specifically on a few scenarios, to give you an idea on what you're buying. When we talked about the warranty, I asked four things:
If the touch screen fries out, is it covered? YEP.
If the convertible top motor fries out... covered? YEP.
How about the power window motors? YEP.
Tire pressure sensors? YEP.

On our cars, THOSE are the kind of things that are killers. So I'm cool.

Last edited by pk4144; 03-23-2018 at 01:18 AM.
Old 03-23-2018, 06:19 AM
Received 90 Likes on 54 Posts

It may depend on the dealer and how willing they are to take care of you. My dealer replaced some sticky buttons under the CPO coverage but wouldn't replace an interior trim piece. They did replace the engine without blinking an eye which cost me $0, so there is value to the CPO coverage, but again, it depends on the dealership. A dealer selling a CPO car that isn't brought to spec will probably be trouble when issues arise.

Old 03-23-2018, 06:31 AM
Received 60 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by Simon Tan
I negotiated an aftermarket warranty as part of the deal on my car, and I can't imagine a CPO warranty being any better. In fact, I wonder if there's more fight from Jaguar on claims against a CPO warranty. In one year, I've recouped almost $3k of the roughly $4k that the warranty cost, and both dealers I've taken my car to have had zero resistance in getting claims approved for replacing my car's water pump, fuel evaporator, and TPMS module. I'm really hoping all of the common issues have now been sorted out so I don't actually max out the value of the warranty, but it's been fantastic so far.
Good to know !

Old 03-23-2018, 06:33 AM
Received 60 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by pk4144
I'm back - the person who thinks that both the Jaguar CPO program and good aftermarket warranties (or whatever, we all know what we're talking about) are NOT necessarily ripoffs. I'm sure some can be, but that's not been my experience. (You can look my adventures up on other threads - I'm about $12K ahead on mine. I bought the car with 8K miles on it, my warranty is -I don't even know any more - something like 6 years/100k miles; I paid between 3500 and $4000). I'm only chiming in because, ironically, here's communication between me and my service person at Rusnak Jaguar over a repair over the last few days:

3/21/2018 11:20 AM
To XXXXX

We narrowed down the click in the rear to a wheel bearing. I am hoping we can duplicate it when the inspector arrives. There are some other items in the suspension we also submitted for. I hope to have the inspector here by later today.

3/21/2018 2:21 PM
To XXXXXXX

Hi Peter,

I just received authorization on all repairs. I will need until Friday to complete the work.

Thanks,
Eden

So, in other words:yep , the warranty company is gonna pay for it, and yep, my payout will be $100 regardless of how many things they fix. (Oh, and NO-- I will not pay the whole bill and wait for a check. I will pay Rusknak Jaguar $100 and they work out the rest).
This is in addition to the warranty paying for, over the years I've had the car:
- an injector; a coil; supercharger rebuild; both rear taillights (the foglights were flickering and it was a little circuit board in each unit); e-differential replaced; front bushings; transmission mount.

(Oh, and-- I previously owned an '11 XK which was cpo'd, and I only brought it in twice, and both issues were taken care of for free. And one was a battery swap.)

And yes, the Jag CPO program requires you to bring the car to a jag dealership - but isn't that true of any car manufacturer's original warranty? If your Toyota breaks down under warranty, don't you have to take it to a Toyota dealer?

Finally - in terms of what's covered... I'd suggest buying the plan that covers the most (forget the "drivetrain warranty," especially on these cars), and then, two things:
- first, a common-sense rule: Black Things and Wet Things are never covered. Tires, brake pads, belts, hoses, rubber seals, many gaskets, fluids, etc. Never covered. Surfaces tend not to be covered. (I am sure my warranty WON'T cover the invetiable bubbling up of the dash.) As an example: I know, because I asked, that ALL the mechanicals of my convertible top are covered, BUT-- the cloth top itself is not covered. Also, of course, noises (squeaks and rattles), never covered. Also, a tip: aftermarket warranties are never preventative. You might have an occasional glitch, but they don't replace until it's a consistent problem.
Second, check specifically on a few scenarios, to give you an idea on what you're buying. When we talked about the warranty, I asked four things:
If the touch screen fries out, is it covered? YEP.
If the convertible top motor fries out... covered? YEP.
How about the power window motors? YEP.
Tire pressure sensors? YEP.

On our cars, THOSE are the kind of things that are killers. So I'm cool.
Did they figure out the rear bearing was that clicking sound ? Please let us know if that’s the culprit to the click and if so - how much $ or what is involved for people without a warranty or that want to have it checked out at their indie ...

Old 03-23-2018, 08:07 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yes sorry I have an XF - didn't mean to post in the xk forum but I am guessing warranty is warranty no?
To the poster who had the aftermarket warranty work done and everything being approved - what company was that? Sounds like someone I would go with in the future!

Old 03-23-2018, 08:52 AM
Received 255 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by glenroebuck
Yes sorry I have an XF - didn't mean to post in the xk forum but I am guessing warranty is warranty no?
To the poster who had the aftermarket warranty work done and everything being approved - what company was that? Sounds like someone I would go with in the future!
I bought my car from a Jag Dealer in Illinois, and the service contract they worked into my deal is a 48 mo/50,000 mi "Platinum Plan" called "The Mechanic" Mechanical Repair Service Contract. Administrator address is in Chicago. Website is https://www.mrclaims.net/

Update: Looking at the written contract more closely, there are several amendments that apply depending on state, so for me, the administrator is amended to one in Texas. I think a lot of these plans are issued under different names but are actually all part of one big network. Whatever the case may be, I've been pleasantly surprised with how smoothly claims have gone. I think it is important though that you pick the highest level plan with minimal exclusions. When I was going over reviews and complaints online, most of the complaints calling aftermarket warranties as "ripoffs" or "scams" came from people admitting they didn't read their plan beforehand and almost all had bought a "drivetrain only" or other lower level plan and didn't read the limitations. On "exclusion" plans like mine, there is only a short list of what ISN'T covered.

Last edited by Simon Tan; 03-23-2018 at 08:56 AM.
The following users liked this post:
pk4144 (03-23-2018)
Old 03-23-2018, 09:28 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,839 Likes on 1,233 Posts

Unfortunately these isn't an example of the contract so it is difficult to see what is covered. Also what the various different levels of coverage consist of . I assume this is done on purpose so people can not get a quick summary of what is being offered prior to engaging in discussions with the company. Also what is the definition of "certified repair center" as this might be forcing you to a place where you don't want to go. I assume these centers have an agreement with the policy company . I have always been skeptical of these companies as they seem to be hi-pressure sales type who push these polices using the sky is falling tactics. Great that you have been successful in getting your work done. Thanks for the info.

Old 03-23-2018, 01:27 PM
Received 255 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by jagtoes
Unfortunately these isn't an example of the contract so it is difficult to see what is covered. Also what the various different levels of coverage consist of . I assume this is done on purpose so people can not get a quick summary of what is being offered prior to engaging in discussions with the company. Also what is the definition of "certified repair center" as this might be forcing you to a place where you don't want to go. I assume these centers have an agreement with the policy company . I have always been skeptical of these companies as they seem to be hi-pressure sales type who push these polices using the sky is falling tactics. Great that you have been successful in getting your work done. Thanks for the info.
If anyone's interested, I'd be willing to upload a scan of my contract. I'm a lawyer and find it straightforward enough in terms of what's covered or not covered between the various levels of coverage. Mine doesn't have any restrictions where services are performed, so I've always gone with a local Jag dealer.

There are of course going to be some sketchy warranty providers out there, but I believe the ones that are offered in the environment of a dealer are going to be pretty reliable relative to plans that solicit owners directly.

Last edited by Simon Tan; 03-23-2018 at 01:49 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Simon Tan:
jagtoes (03-23-2018), pk4144 (03-23-2018)
Old 03-23-2018, 04:04 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Simon Tan
If anyone's interested, I'd be willing to upload a scan of my contract. I'm a lawyer and find it straightforward enough in terms of what's covered or not covered between the various levels of coverage. Mine doesn't have any restrictions where services are performed, so I've always gone with a local Jag dealer.

There are of course going to be some sketchy warranty providers out there, but I believe the ones that are offered in the environment of a dealer are going to be pretty reliable relative to plans that solicit owners directly.
- Mine is straightforward as well. (and I was the one who thought to ask about it). And I also bought it at the same time I bought the car, bundled it it.
- Absolutely a +1 about buying the "Super Duper Triple Diamond," or whatever the highest level of plan is. No point otherwise.
- And I can take the car anywhere. My thinking is: if it's their dime, why NOT have a Jag dealer do it?

Old 03-23-2018, 04:12 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by myexcursion

Did they figure out the rear bearing was that clicking sound ? Please let us know if that’s the culprit to the click and if so - how much $ or what is involved for people without a warranty or that want to have it checked out at their indie ...
I will for sure let you know as soon as it's done - some of the work involves ANOTHER part from England, so, Monday...

Also, if you read her emails, you'll see that they're in the habit of looking for "things to submit" whenever the car is up on the rack. Works for me!

Last edited by pk4144; 03-23-2018 at 04:15 PM.
Old 03-28-2018, 04:50 PM
Received 65 Likes on 39 Posts

My 2012 XKR has Jaguar select coverage for 8 more months. Of course I was thrilled when I found that out (right before I bought it from another high end dealer).

The select coverage covers mechanical issues. They won’t cover trim (pulling dash and drooping headliner). Both issues my car has with only 29k on it. Love the Florida heat.. ugh..

They offered some goodwill assistance on the dash, but it’s still a nice chunk of change.

The sticky buttons can be taken care of through aftermarket company ($400ish and it should look new).

I’ve had 5 jags and 4 of them have had headliner issues. I’m sure I can get that fixed locally too.

Just wanted to share my experience with the Jaguar Select warranty.

Joe