XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Cranks but won't fire after a strong wind

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2020, 12:30 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,383 Likes on 1,609 Posts

Did you check all the fuses and relays?
I dont think its battery- very easy way to eliminate it and stop any further waste of time. If you have another small battery, attach it via jumper cables to your battery, and crank the car, you can also do this by attaching the leads to another car. (just make sure the other car is not running)
One way that I check fuel pump relays is borrow an identical relay form a non crucial circuit.

The following users liked this post:
whedonum (02-16-2020)
Old 02-16-2020, 12:36 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Checked the fuses but not the relays. Good point, will look into them during the week.
I still find it too much of a fluke. Should be smh non-obvious to resolve the issue. But yeah, will go for checking relays, battery, pump, sparks and all.

Old 02-16-2020, 12:37 PM
Received 123 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by whedonum
Hi all,

I've looked over threads regarding this and will look into battery and pump once I'm back from work. However just 8-10 hours prior to the failure I moved the Jag from a place where it potentially can get damaged since we had a rather strong wind and rain yesterday (up to 30mph). And to me it's quite a coincidence since the car ran smoothly before that. Was parked for the night under a slight angle also if it matters (about 10-20 degrees maybe, sideways to the hill).

Anything specific you think I should look into? It's an XK 2009 we're talking about. Half a tank of fuel left.
Thanks in advance!
mine was experiencing this same issue minus your different noise yours was making when it was trying to start and mine sounded like the regular sound it makes but it won't crank on.I hope you been putting correct coolant fluids in your xk and enough oil cause that could either be a blown head gasket or need a new starter cause an XK is not suppose to sound like that when it's trying to crank and I think you would agree.But on to what fixed mine,i had to buy a whole new fuse box to put in my back seat and they're not that expensive and you can find them on Ebay for like $50+ especially for the 2007-2009 models.Water had got in mine tho and broke it from wear and tear of my convertible top,but this fuse box also controls your fuel relay(Idk which fuse it is but i figure with the water damage,i figure i was being smart about it by replacing the whole thing)This fuse box should be located in the middle of your back seat,and how to get to it,reach back there and lift up on the top middle part of the seat and it should lift up and slide off to expose and get to this fuse box.Check all those fuses and see if any of them not working and replace them and it should start right up if this is the problem.But if its no damage done to your fuse box,just change the fuses out and you might have to go to the Jaguar dealership to get those big square relay fuses and i think 1 of those are the 1 that controls your fuel relay.Your fuse box is not going to look like mine cause i have 2012 model but it pretty much does the same thing and is located in the same spot.I hope this helps and fixes your beautiful Jag

by taking a closer look at what you wrote about rain and wind,that was the entire problem that damaged my Jag and that's exactly how water seeped through my convertible top and broke the fuse box.With that said, you might just be experiencing the same problem I had and what i did to fix it

Last edited by Barry Leftwich; 02-16-2020 at 01:51 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Barry Leftwich:
MarkyUK (02-23-2020), whedonum (02-16-2020)
Old 02-16-2020, 12:53 PM

Hey Barry,

Thanks for the thorough answer, really appreciate it. And it's always better with pics.
0. I will check the relay, yes. Thanks!
1. Was adding coolant according to requirements. Oil was always on a good level.
2. Checked the fuses behind the back seat and under the hood today. According to the handbook page 227, it's fuse 33 in 2009 XK that controls the fuel pump. Looked good once I pulled it out.

Does it make sense to check all other fuses? Checked only Starter and Throttle motor ones under the hood.

Barry Leftwich (02-16-2020)
Old 02-16-2020, 01:26 PM
Veteran Member

The only two things that would prevent it from firing is the ignigtor or fuel.
You either don't have spark or don't have fuel. All else seems to be working.

Reverend Sam (02-16-2020)
Old 02-16-2020, 02:10 PM

Hey Barry,

Thanks for the thorough answer, really appreciate it. And it's always better with pics.
0. I will check the relay, yes. Thanks!
1. Was adding coolant according to requirements. Oil was always on a good level.
2. Checked the fuses behind the back seat and under the hood today. According to the handbook page 227, it's fuse 33 in 2009 XK that controls the fuel pump. Looked good once I pulled it out.

Does it make sense to check all other fuses? Checked only Starter and Throttle motor ones under the hood.
it's good to check ALL THOSE fuses!But from my story, not only my fuel relay had went bad,but that fuse box was making my car experience a security issue too that had my air bag light on and it wasn't letting my car receive any fuel to let it start by going in fail/safe mode and the water damage to the fuse box was making my Jag think it been in an accident. Idk but i'm taking a guess that it's putting your car in fail/safe mode too and those 30mph winds probably triggered yours and your Jag won't tell you that it's going in that mode either but it's enough to be part of the problem since it won't start.So check all those fuses and make sure every single 1 of them are working.If not and you change the fuses out and it's still not working,you might have to type this in on ebay but for your year model and get you another 1

Last edited by Barry Leftwich; 02-16-2020 at 09:39 PM.
whedonum (02-16-2020)
Old 02-17-2020, 08:41 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Barry Leftwich
t i'm taking a guess that it's putting your car in fail/safe mode too and those 30mph winds probably triggered yours and your Jag won't tell you that it's going in that mode either
This is exactly what I said in my first post. Especially since the car was steep incline.
I have a question too.
What is the protocol to get the car out of "fail/safe mode" or security mode?

Old 02-17-2020, 09:14 AM
Received 58 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by Queen and Country
This is exactly what I said in my first post. Especially since the car was steep incline.
I have a question too.
If the inertia switch has tripped you should get a message to say that it has tripped.

to reset you have go into convenience mode, one press of start button, wait 10 seconds then press start button again to turn ignition On, wait 30 seconds then press start button again with brake pedal to start as normal.

The following 3 users liked this post by Woo5ie:
Barry Leftwich (02-17-2020), Queen and Country (02-17-2020), Sean W (02-17-2020)
Old 02-17-2020, 09:16 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Woo5ie
If the inertia switch has tripped you should get a message to say that it has tripped.

to reset you have go into convenience mode, one press of start button, wait 10 seconds then press start button again to turn ignition On, wait 30 seconds then press start button again with brake pedal to start as normal.
Thank you. Finally after a week.
Most valuable information in an emergency when you dont have your wits about you.

George05 (02-23-2020)
Old 02-17-2020, 09:28 AM

Originally Posted by Queen and Country
I have a question too.
idk but all I did was changed my whole fuse box out and it fixed it for me.If you have to change some fuses out, find a way to reset the car by taking the battery terminals loose and try touching them together.The Jaguar car is smart,so if you fixed it back the way it should be,it will forget the crap codes and work normal like it should like nothing never went wrong with it

Old 02-22-2020, 08:00 AM

The second weekend of trying to solve it, last try as well. Got an OBD reader, here're the readings from OBD Fusion app (Car Scanner Pro and Auto Doctor show same info).
Can you spot anything odd? Fuel pressure seems a bit too high, doesn't it?

Last edited by whedonum; 02-22-2020 at 08:02 AM.
Old 02-22-2020, 03:04 PM

The second weekend of trying to solve it, last try as well. Got an OBD reader, here're the readings from OBD Fusion app (Car Scanner Pro and Auto Doctor show same info).
Can you spot anything odd? Fuel pressure seems a bit too high, doesn't it?

https://youtu.be/9gb2sd7dUuI
https://youtu.be/3IUvFJ4ipeA
my 2nd guess is you might just have to get a new fuel pump by the way yours is sounding when it tries to crank or get some cataclean and try to prime it by clicking the start button on and off or look up how to prime a vehicle when it runs out of gas to get the cataclean to circulate in the engine.If you trying to find a fuel pump at the price where they not over charging for Jaguar car parts,try this site to buy a fuel pump.I bought a coolant reservoir tank i had to replace from this website for my 2007 XKR and it was the exact OEM part https://www.partsgeek.com/catalog/

Last edited by Barry Leftwich; 02-22-2020 at 03:07 PM.
Old 02-22-2020, 03:30 PM

my 2nd guess is you might just have to get a new fuel pump
Hey Barry. Thanks! 2 questions:
1. Malfunctioning relays you mentioned earlier. Would they show up in the OBD scanning?
2. Is there a way to qualify it’s fuel pump before getting a new one and figuring out it’s still smh else?

Old 02-22-2020, 03:39 PM

Hey Barry. Thanks! 2 questions:
1. Malfunctioning relays you mentioned earlier. Would they show up in the OBD scanning?
2. Is there a way to qualify it’s fuel pump before getting a new one and figuring out it’s still smh else?
just by the way your car sounds when you try to start it,it either sounds like the engine is flooded with fuel,another thing you can check for are the spark plugs and i think sometimes that can be an issue if they gone bad to not let the car start.Or look up starter problems.It gotta be anything i've listed so far of things to check for that have a lot to do with your car not starting.So far with your codes,it looks like it's saying the engine is not getting any fuel

Old 02-23-2020, 01:07 AM
Received 376 Likes on 249 Posts

Don't know what the fuel pressure should be but you have fuel pressure so I don't think your fuel pump is bad. Have you checked so you have a spark?

Old 02-23-2020, 12:30 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,975 Likes on 1,326 Posts

Just tossing this out there... the OP said he has a 2009, and uses temperature in C not F, so is this a 4.2L or 5.0L car?
Could it be a bad injector dumping all the fuel?

George05 (02-23-2020)
Old 02-23-2020, 01:28 PM

Originally Posted by kj07xk
Just tossing this out there... the OP said he has a 2009, and uses temperature in C not F, so is this a 4.2L or 5.0L car?
2007-2009 all are 4.2L 2010-2015 all are 5.0L

Old 02-23-2020, 01:29 PM

Originally Posted by kj07xk
it’s 3.5 one. Temperature in OBD Fusion I think is in F.

Recharging the battery again to try to give the car a good crank tomorrow. They say it might spit a bit but most likely is the issue. Also suggestion is to floor the throttle at the same time. Will do that first and then open up the engine and check sparks.

Barry Leftwich (02-24-2020)
Old 02-23-2020, 03:33 PM
Veteran Member
Received 408 Likes on 280 Posts

Good all fixed

Old 02-23-2020, 03:50 PM
Veteran Member
Received 5,360 Likes on 3,174 Posts

2007-2009 all are 4.2L 2010-2015 all are 5.0L
Exactly wrong, depending on market. Don't talk about that which you do not know.

kj07xk (02-23-2020)

Quick Reply: Cranks but won't fire after a strong wind