XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Crazy depreciation of XKR-S

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2014, 10:08 PM
DGL
Veteran Member
Received 931 Likes on 609 Posts

If you wanna play you must pay. If you buy new you will pay dearly.

IMO the Jaguar XKR and XKR-S are the best performance GT cars available for the price. I don't know exactly why people shy away from them compared to BMW, Audi and MB. The XKR platform looks amazing and delivers on performance, luxury, reliability and price. Is it that car buyers look at the brand as expensive to maintain, unreliable or sometime else. I'll put my XKR up against anything BMW, Audi or MB has in the same class and price range.

If one wants to minimize their car ownership cost they need to buy smart first.

The following 2 users liked this post by DGL:
Cee Jay (12-22-2014), ralphwg (12-21-2014)
Old 12-20-2014, 10:33 PM
Received 63 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by DGL
If you wanna play you must pay. If you buy new you will pay dearly.

IMO the Jaguar XKR and XKR-S are the best performance GT cars available for the price. I don't know exactly why people shy away from them compared to BMW, Audi and MB. The XKR platform looks amazing and delivers on performance, luxury, reliability and price. Is it that car buyers look at the brand as expensive to maintain, unreliable or sometime else. I'll put my XKR up against anything BMW, Audi or MB has in the same class and price range.

If one wants to minimize their car ownership cost they need to buy smart first.
Yes, I definitely miscalculated the resale on this car. I thought the limited production (was told they were only going to make 300 coupes), the initial high demand (Newport jag reportedly sold the 1st RS for $30k over msrp), and the great reviews by almost everyone, would limit it's depreciation compared to other jags. These things are hard to predict though. For example, when I was shopping for my RS, I almost placed an order for a MB C63 black series instead. However, I liked the jag better and I was worried about the c63 black series depriciation, since previous BS models like the clk63 and sl 65 took a beating! As it turns out the c63 BS has held its value very well.
You are right in that you have to be prepared to pay a big premium to buy these cars new and you shouldn't buy them unless you can afford them. The gt3 I ordered new should be an exception to this rule based on all previous generation gt3's and used 2014 gt3's are selling for msrp.

Old 12-20-2014, 10:41 PM
Veteran Member
Received 325 Likes on 201 Posts

It's likely that the end of XK production has made it less desirable, and that the over-whelming marketing of the F-Type has had the same effect. If brand new and newer XKR-S's are available at low prices that would be another as somebody who wants the most advanced XK may also literally want one of the last built. Various factors working against you, the biggest being having bought new at close to MSRP and then deciding to sell so soon.

My best experiences have been selling special interest cars to people that fell in love with it before I had actually decided to sell it, or without knowing it was for sale. They knew throwing out a low-ball offer wasn't going to convince me to sell it. Maybe get the car out in front of car enthusiasts as much as possible if you have the opportunity. Cars and Coffee maybe.

Be patient if you can afford to wait a bit, good luck with the sale, and enjoy that beautiful GT3...I think it's the second most desirable track day oriented car money can buy!

Old 12-21-2014, 08:30 AM
Received 62 Likes on 32 Posts

I have just recently benefited from this drastic depreciation scenario, and acquired an '11 XKR 175 for a trade on a used '14 Corvette Stingray with 8K miles on it (it needed new tires, too ;-) ). My Jag only has 18K miles on it and I basically traded even up. Shopping the Vette around could only get me $42-45K, so I figure I bought the Jag for that amount. Not bad for a car with an original sticker price of $104,500: and it's still under original manufacturers warranty! For me, the Jag is waaaaaay better in every regard from performance, fit and finish, features, styling, ride and handling, comfort, everything!

Old 12-21-2014, 09:19 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,233 Likes on 789 Posts

Originally Posted by vacolorito
I have just recently benefited from this drastic depreciation scenario, and acquired an '11 XKR 175 for a trade on a used '14 Corvette Stingray with 8K miles on it (it needed new tires, too ;-) ). My Jag only has 18K miles on it and I basically traded even up. Shopping the Vette around could only get me $42-45K, so I figure I bought the Jag for that amount. Not bad for a car with an original sticker price of $104,500: and it's still under original manufacturers warranty! For me, the Jag is waaaaaay better in every regard from performance, fit and finish, features, styling, ride and handling, comfort, everything!
Thanks for the post. I have a 2015 Corvette C7 Stingray on order and being built. I sure hope I like the car. Keeping the Jaguar and Porsche. I just hope that I am not diappointed. Thanks for your insight, although short, on your experience with the Vette.

You made a good deal on the XK. Yes, depreciation is quite heavy, and buying used is the way to go. Most people don't realize this, until after the fact.

Enjoy the new ride. Welcome to the forum.

The following users liked this post:
vacolorito (12-21-2014)
Old 12-21-2014, 10:34 AM
Veteran Member
Received 370 Likes on 249 Posts

I bought my RS new... realized how great of a car it was and bought a R used at 30% off with 8 months of use. These cars just DROP. I have resigned to the fact that to me the car is worth more then its cash value after being brought due to the depreciation. SO... I will never sell them. Bury them yes... but sell them... nope. Never.

Loth

The following 2 users liked this post by Lothar52:
axr6 (12-21-2014), Cee Jay (12-22-2014)
Old 12-28-2014, 07:33 PM
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Anyone think the demand for the new F-Types could be affecting the resale value of XK's?
Jay
2008 XK Conv

The following 3 users liked this post by Jay057:
Cee Jay (12-28-2014), ndy.boyd (12-28-2014), richzak (12-28-2014)
Old 12-28-2014, 10:25 PM
Banned
Received 238 Likes on 180 Posts

I doubt the F-type has affected sales anymore so than a new style XKR-S would have. When people spend that kind of $$$ they want "Exclusivity" (he XKR-S is just not that much different in looks than the XKR) and they want "new". It's about bragging rights more so than performance, they want to be the kid on the block with the new toy preferably that looks "cool" and different.

Old 12-29-2014, 12:19 AM

Originally Posted by Leeper
I doubt the F-type has affected sales anymore so than a new style XKR-S would have. When people spend that kind of $$$ they want "Exclusivity" (he XKR-S is just not that much different in looks than the XKR) and they want "new". It's about bragging rights more so than performance, they want to be the kid on the block with the new toy preferably that looks "cool" and different.
That's not why I bought a Xkr-s. I bought it for the more aggressive looks than the Xkr and the performance. Although there isn't a huge difference in performance between the R and RS, the RS crossed a performance threshold that I was looking for at the time (cross shopping porsche 911 turbo S, gtr, and c 63 Black series). I drove the Xkr at the jag performance academy and I think there is a significant performance difference between the 2 (the instructors agreed). Other Xkr-s owners may have chosen it for the exclusivity and new factor, but they were not significant factors for me. Others can chime in.

Last edited by Octurbo; 12-29-2014 at 12:21 AM.
The following users liked this post:
mosesbotbol (12-30-2014)
Old 12-29-2014, 12:38 AM
Banned
Received 238 Likes on 180 Posts

Octurbo - in no way was I trying to speak of your reasoning for buying the XKR's, was speaking in terms of likely general masses who got it.

Whether it's the top car of the day or top motorcycle that "exclusivity" wears off quickly when there's a new toy that beats it performance-wise and looks shinier. Ferrari (Rosa), McLaren (burnt copper) and Lambo (Bright yellow/orange) learned that making them a very eye-catching color tends to do a lot for getting the car recognized. Not my thing but it works. This is perhaps why a large percentage of the XKR-S were the French Blue to both draw attention AND to differentiate it from the normal line.

With regard to your driving it at the academy... how many XK's, XKR's, XKR-S models are driven on any track? That percentage is so minute it's not even worth mentioning. The same goes for most Porsches, McLaren's, Maseratti's, Ferrari's, R8's, Z8's, M6's, Z06/Z07's, etc. I bet it was an absolute BLAST! Would love to do that someday...

Last edited by Leeper; 12-29-2014 at 12:41 AM.
Old 12-29-2014, 07:14 AM
Veteran Member
Received 370 Likes on 249 Posts

I honestly think my XKR looks more classy then my new XKR-S, and the XKR-S looks more aggressive and less like a Jaguar. After buying the XKR-S I knew I had something special - that over time would become even moreso as nobody bought new in 3 years this XKR-S much less an XKR!! So sitting there one day I decided... you know what... I want a XK beater!! I looked for 2010's, 2011 XKR 175's.... then found the 2012 and said oh heck.. why not have 2 of almost the same car. There are suttle differences. VERY SUTTLE but indeed they are there.... BUT:

Price of my XKR-S new about 130k. Price of the XKR new 100k... USED 72K with 10,000 miles and 8 months of use. How could I not spring for almost the same car at HALF THE PRICE with >90% car life left.

Its now my commute car happily depreciating mile by mile (19,000 and counting since Sept 2013).

Loth

Old 12-29-2014, 09:55 AM

Originally Posted by Leeper
Octurbo - in no way was I trying to speak of your reasoning for buying the XKR's, was speaking in terms of likely general masses who got it.

Whether it's the top car of the day or top motorcycle that "exclusivity" wears off quickly when there's a new toy that beats it performance-wise and looks shinier. Ferrari (Rosa), McLaren (burnt copper) and Lambo (Bright yellow/orange) learned that making them a very eye-catching color tends to do a lot for getting the car recognized. Not my thing but it works. This is perhaps why a large percentage of the XKR-S were the French Blue to both draw attention AND to differentiate it from the normal line.

With regard to your driving it at the academy... how many XK's, XKR's, XKR-S models are driven on any track? That percentage is so minute it's not even worth mentioning. The same goes for most Porsches, McLaren's, Maseratti's, Ferrari's, R8's, Z8's, M6's, Z06/Z07's, etc. I bet it was an absolute BLAST! Would love to do that someday...
If you get the chance to go to jaguar performance academy, I highly recommend it. Excellent instructors, like Davy Jones, and a lot of track time. I was really surprised how well the Xkr did on the track. It's a 1st class operation!

Old 12-30-2014, 09:49 PM
Received 67 Likes on 50 Posts

[QUOTE=Leeper;1128830
Whether it's the top car of the day or top motorcycle that "exclusivity" wears off quickly when there's a new toy that beats it performance-wise and looks shinier. Ferrari (Rosa), McLaren (burnt copper) and Lambo (Bright yellow/orange) learned that making them a very eye-catching color tends to do a lot for getting the car recognized. Not my thing but it works. This is perhaps why a large percentage of the XKR-S were the French Blue to both draw attention AND to differentiate it from the normal line. [/QUOTE]

This is the way I see it too. Soon I will be in the market for an XKR(-S?) but quite frankly I don't even look at white cars regardless of condition, mileage or price. My brother in law (and family) continually buy white cars and I joke with him that it's the colour BEFORE it's actually painted....
Claret Red, Ultimate Black, BRG. Aaaah yeah.

Old 01-10-2015, 01:21 AM

If anyone is interested I have put my car up on an EBay auction. I have also dropped my asking price to $74k! Someone with a xk or xkr should jump on this if you like the styling of the RS. Car is in pristine condition and under warranty until 2018. I have had decent offers on the car, but am looking for a little more given the extra money I spent on the easy care extended warranty and new Michelin pilot super sport tires

Old 01-16-2015, 07:09 PM
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Octurbo
If anyone is interested I have put my car up on an EBay auction. I have also dropped my asking price to $74k! Someone with a xk or xkr should jump on this if you like the styling of the RS. Car is in pristine condition and under warranty until 2018. I have had decent offers on the car, but am looking for a little more given the extra money I spent on the easy care extended warranty and new Michelin pilot super sport tires

conv french blue i aim in. post a link

Old 01-17-2015, 06:08 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,975 Likes on 1,326 Posts

Looks like it is eBay item 391024390129, correct?

Old 01-17-2015, 07:37 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

For me the XKRS is to much car. I like my Xk conv. Thinking of selling. I want one of the last XK's mine is 2010 6000 miles oil changed every 1000 3m protective film. Never driven in rain or snow. Stored before any salt on road. Break fluid changed. Serviced inspected jag of Troy.. Washed and cleaned with leather treatment. Super Shell only. Anyone interested let me know

Old 01-17-2015, 07:41 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Oh Champaine color, Tan inter dark tan top. Car cover, winter storage tire protectors, trickle charger

Old 01-17-2015, 11:32 PM

Originally Posted by kj07xk
Looks like it is eBay item 391024390129, correct?
Yes, that's correct. A little more than 24 hrs to go. A French racing blue 2013 coupe on eBay auction is at $72.5 k with similar mileage, but has one less year of warranty than mine.

Old 01-17-2015, 11:33 PM

Originally Posted by desert_fox
conv french blue i aim in. post a link
Mine is a white coupe- call me if interested 949-500-9734. I have lowered the reserve on my car for this auction.

Last edited by Octurbo; 01-17-2015 at 11:35 PM.

Quick Reply: Crazy depreciation of XKR-S