XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Crazy leverage!

Search this Thread

Old Yesterday, 04:34 PM
Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Crazy leverage!

Check this out! Was a complete dumbass and ended up draining the tranny of all of its fluid before I tried getting the fill plug out. Ended up using a closed end wrench for better leverage whilst trying to get the fill plug out, and my wrench (thankfully nothing hurt me) broke like this!

I am going to try and apply some heat to the bolt with a hair dryer on max heat then I am going to use a can of compressed air and freeze the head of the bolt and try it again later tonight. Once that bugger comes off, I will be able to fill her up again and drive! I will be more careful in the future for sure. Either someone overcranked this plug to the MAX - or it has never been taken off of the car in its entire life. It is IN there.

The following users liked this post:
Cee Jay (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 06:38 PM
Received 194 Likes on 112 Posts

Correct me if i'm wrong but, i believe the ZF transmission fill plugs in our cars take a an ALAN key to remove,
I'm not sure what you are trying to take off but I don't believe that is the fill plug.

The following 3 users liked this post by trkyam:
McJag222 (Yesterday), Sean W (Yesterday), SNAPCHAT (Today)
Old Yesterday, 08:18 PM
Veteran Member
Received 569 Likes on 364 Posts

Originally Posted by trkyam
Correct me if i'm wrong but, i believe the ZF transmission fill plugs in our cars take a an ALAN key to remove,
I'm not sure what you are trying to take off but I don't believe that is the fill plug.
Yup - check this out :

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xk-xkr-x150-33/6hp26-transmission-service-2007-xkr-155883/

"
to access that stupid fill plug. Insert your hex socket and universal joint with an extension"

Last edited by McJag222; Yesterday at 08:19 PM.
SNAPCHAT (Today)
Old Yesterday, 11:09 PM
Received 280 Likes on 211 Posts

Originally Posted by trkyam
The way OP's post is worded, and the way the ring spanner broke, has me thinking the spanner was being used to extend the allen key.

The following 2 users liked this post by dangoesfast:
McJag222 (Today), SNAPCHAT (Today)
Old Today, 01:12 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,007 Likes on 1,340 Posts

Pretty sure I read in another thread ‘be sure you can remove the fill plug before draining the transmission’. Now I see why.
Good luck!

SNAPCHAT (Today)
Old Today, 03:22 AM
Received 446 Likes on 291 Posts

I removed my fill plug with the gearbox out of the XK a week or so ago and used a breaker bar with the 8mm Allen hex socket drive as it was in so tight from the factory. If I had been doing that with the gearbox in the car I would have struggled as there is not enough space between the plug and the bodywork to use a socket drive, even with a universal joint.

Remove the heat shield as this helps and you can remove the shield without lowering the rear end of the gearbox. If removing the heat shield is not sufficient then lowering the rear of the gearbox would be my next approach. Removing the catalytic converter would also help but having done that to remove the gearbox, I would suggest you don't go down that route.

The best tool which easily fits the space and does not need any gearbox lowering, uses the socket set 8mm Allen bit and can take a lot of force with a large ring spanner and which worked well for me when tightening the plug back after filling is one of these shown below. You can get some serious force through this and extend the ring spanner with a pipe, or whatever, as necessary.

Richard

SNAPCHAT (Today)
Old Today, 04:55 AM

Correct! I was using this closed end wrench as a leverage tool. I still had the 8mm ALAN/hex key inserted into the fill plug. Sorry for wording. Yeah, but just crazy leverage and wanted to share.

The following 2 users liked this post by SNAPCHAT:
McJag222 (Today), Sean W (Today)
Old Today, 05:02 AM

Originally Posted by RichardS
I removed my fill plug with the gearbox out of the XK a week or so ago and used a breaker bar with the 8mm Allen hex socket drive as it was in so tight from the factory. If I had been doing that with the gearbox in the car I would have struggled as there is not enough space between the plug and the bodywork to use a socket drive, even with a universal joint.

Remove the heat shield as this helps and you can remove the shield without lowering the rear end of the gearbox. If removing the heat shield is not sufficient then lowering the rear of the gearbox would be my next approach. Removing the catalytic converter would also help but having done that to remove the gearbox, I would suggest you don't go down that route.

The best tool which easily fits the space and does not need any gearbox lowering, uses the socket set 8mm Allen bit and can take a lot of force with a large ring spanner and which worked well for me when tightening the plug back after filling is one of these shown below. You can get some serious force through this and extend the ring spanner with a pipe, or whatever, as necessary.

Richard
This is nice! I am definitely going to look into that. Thank you for the suggestion. I am probably going to chop the exhaust at the base of the catalytic converter, and down another 12 or so inches so that there won't be any pipe in the way of the fill plug. I will then be able to place an ALAN/Hex key into the fill plug and use a real and proper breaker bar. Or use a socket, or literally anything that I couldn't use with the pipe in the way. Weld the 12 or so inch pipe back into place as if it was never taken off. If that does not work, yeah probably going to just drill it out or nipple extract it or something, not sure. Car wouldn't have been moving regardless if I did the drain first or not, luckily.

McJag222 (Today)
Old Today, 11:39 AM
Veteran Member
Received 569 Likes on 364 Posts

That's probably not a bad idea regarding heating the aluminum casing.

SNAPCHAT (Today)