XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Cremona wheels on an XK/XKR

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2013, 10:54 AM
Received 33 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by milleniumaire
Thanks forthe dark grey works well with the feedback growler05, you've hit the nail on the head - individuality. That's part of the reason for wanting to change the wheels, but I also have to feel the car will improve in looks if I'm going to spend that kind of money.

So far, from this thread and a few colleagues at work it is 5 for the Sentas, 3 for the Cremonas and 1 undecided.

At the end of the day I know it's down to what I want and how I think the car will look(which is difficult as I only have my photo shop picture to go by).

When I look at the photos provided by AirCav, it's a no-brainer as I think his car looks awesome with those Cremonas, but mine is a different colour and possibly dark grey doesn't show off those wheels as well as black!

This thread has also made me aware that maybe my XKR wouldn't improvie look as nice to others with the Cremonas and that's also a concern.

The other issue is that I haven't mentioned to my wife that I'm thinking of buying new wheels - there's no point upsetting her until I've made the decision! Now she's talking about going away to a nice sunny climate for a week at Easter. How do I tell her that I'm considering spending that spare cash on new wheels
I did exatly the same with mine before I bought my TSW rims - Photoshop. I tried many options before I spent the $$$$$
I think the rim color works well with your dark grey car. They kinda match the color of the vents.

Regarding telling the wife.
Two things to consider...............
She may not notice once they are on the car and when she does it will be too late.
And you know what happens when the dog eats your steak at the barbeque...........if he eats it all........or only eats half.......he still gets into the same amount of trouble.

Old 03-22-2013, 04:44 PM
Veteran Member
Received 6,313 Likes on 3,462 Posts
Default UK Source for Cremona Wheels

SB Wheels in the UK sells new, used, and refurbished wheels for Jaguars, including 20" Cremonas for the XK/XKR. Here's the link to their homepage: SB Wheels then click on STOCK LIST.

I prefer the Sentas over the Cremonas, but to each his own. I would keep the car original and have the Sentas professionally refurbished at a fraction of the cost of buying new wheels. Just my :

Another wheel to consider is the Selena. Although rare, is appears to be available from SB. Here they are on my car - supplied by the factory for only one year on the 2009 Portfolio models:

And close-up:

Much more distinctive and unique than the Cremona, IMHO.

Decisions, decisions, decisions...

Stuart

Attached Thumbnails Cremona wheels on an XK/XKR-6164020824_d8347e483c_z.jpg   Cremona wheels on an XK/XKR-6281963298_bfde0381c9_n.jpg  
Old 03-22-2013, 05:00 PM
Veteran Member
Received 688 Likes on 558 Posts

The other issue is that I haven't mentioned to my wife that I'm thinking of buying new wheels - there's no point upsetting her until I've made the decision! Now she's talking about going away to a nice sunny climate for a week at Easter. How do I tell her that I'm considering spending that spare cash on new wheels
Since you haven't told her already, my guess is you don't. And if she is talking about spending it on a holiday, it isn't your spare cash anymore.

Keep your wheels, they look great. Have them refurbished for much less and go to the beach.

Old 03-23-2013, 09:17 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I vote Cremona :-)

Attached Thumbnails Cremona wheels on an XK/XKR-fiacre-103548-albums-2007-xkr-5703-picture-img-3461-15347.jpg  
Old 03-26-2013, 02:57 PM
Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by D-end
That truly is an impossibly pretty car! While I picked a vert for myself I still think the coupe is one of the most beautiful cars ever made...
AirCav, what polish do you use as your car has a seriously bright shine? I've just finished off some Autoglym High Definition Wax, but I'm looking for something better, possibly some Zymol Carbon Wax.
Apologies for the delay in responding.

Once again, thank you for complimenting my car. I'm still awed by it at times. Jaguar builds a beautiful automobile.

As to the shine...I must confess that two of those pictures are from the detail shop who machine polished/paint corrected it for me. My beloved XKR hadn't been treated as kindly prior to my purchase as I would have liked but the detailer brought it back nicely. Interestingly enough, I thought it looked pretty sharp before. Just depends on what you're used to, I guess. (And avoiding high intensity halogen lighting ) I think you would agree that it made all the difference in the world.

For what it's worth, that detailer prefers BlackFire Wet Diamond polish/sealant after correction. Personally, I've used Zaino products (Z-2 specifically) for years on my cars and am still very pleased with them.

Truth be told though, the machine polishing is the secret to my particular car's shine. Unless you are starting with a perfect paint job, there's only so much you can do hand applying a non-abrasive polish/sealant/wax to your paint. At some point you need to actually take off paint (not for the timid) to make (or restore) the surface perfectly smooth. Anything else is just a temporary band-aid. This even applies to very expensive brand new luxury cars. Some of them are delivered in atrocious condition. You'd be surprised what you might find with a good halogen inspection.

p.s. Here's the whole ugly process if you're interested. I can't recommend Eric at Tru Shine enough. I think I caught him on his way up. His business has really taken off and deservedly so. He spends a lot of time on true exotics nowadays and I'd probably have trouble even getting on his schedule with just a Jag.

Attached Thumbnails Cremona wheels on an XK/XKR-802cc52d.jpg   Cremona wheels on an XK/XKR-c15eda8a.jpg  
The following users liked this post:
amcdonal86 (03-26-2013)
Old 03-26-2013, 03:43 PM
Veteran Member
Received 483 Likes on 404 Posts

Fantastic detail work. I need to get my XKR to my future in-laws' garage so I can whip out my polisher!

Old 03-27-2013, 04:58 AM
Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts

AirCav, thanks for the link, I enjoyed viewing the rejuvenation project. They did an awesome job.
I think with the Portfolio, you have the best of the earlier re-models - it doesn't have the silly electric aerial (like mine), but it also has a proper gear stick, which is something I don't like about the latest version of the XK. The only thing missing is the newer 5 litre engine!
Unfortunately, before I could ever consider putting my body work through that process it would need a lot of touching up/respraying. After 6 years of doing nearly 80K miles it needs some work, which is one of the things I'm looking into.
You've made me feel even more depressed about the state of my XKR. Thanks!

Old 03-28-2013, 03:24 PM
Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

AirCav, thanks for the link, I enjoyed viewing the rejuvenation project. They did an awesome job.
I think with the Portfolio, you have the best of the earlier re-models - it doesn't have the silly electric aerial (like mine), but it also has a proper gear stick, which is something I don't like about the latest version of the XK. The only thing missing is the newer 5 litre engine!
Unfortunately, before I could ever consider putting my body work through that process it would need a lot of touching up/respraying. After 6 years of doing nearly 80K miles it needs some work, which is one of the things I'm looking into.
You've made me feel even more depressed about the state of my XKR. Thanks!
Keep your chin up and try to embrace your car's battle scars as a badge of honor. Be proud that it has endured the real world, quite unlike the pampered garage queens that many of us drive. Keep in mind that a day spent with a well loved, well used Jaguar still beats the heck out of spending it with any shiny new "Universal People Mover."

Attached Images  

Last edited by AirCav; 03-28-2013 at 04:13 PM.
Old 03-28-2013, 10:36 PM
Received 33 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by AirCav
Keep your chin up and try to embrace your car's battle scars as a badge of honor. Be proud that it has endured the real world, quite unlike the pampered garage queens that many of us drive. Keep in mind that a day spent with a well loved, well used Jaguar still beats the heck out of spending it with any shiny new "Universal People Mover."
Well said, I couldn‘t agree more.

Old 03-28-2013, 11:01 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,579 Likes on 1,419 Posts

Regarding the Senta vs. Cremona debate, I would definitely vote Senta. However, if it's individuality or customization, why not refurbish your Sentas and add a red shadow between the spokes or maybe a red rim protector, something that would set your wheels off with a highlight. It would completely change the character of the wheels at a fraction of the cost.