XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

CTEK 3300 Battery Charger Installation

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2014, 04:28 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,126 Likes on 797 Posts

Originally Posted by Stuart S
That's correct, from what I understand. It's a proximity key and transmits a signal whether or not you press it. That signal can "wake up" the car and possibly drain a weak battery, even if you lock the doors.

To prevent the key's signal from reaching the car, you can keep the key in a metal box, which is what I do. My garage is adjacent to my kitchen, and I'm too lazy to walk 30 feet to get the car key.
Sorry, but that's not correct (and I checked it with Jaguar some time back). Neither the XK nor the fob transmit anything until you actually pull the door handle. At that point, the car transmits to the fob, and the fob responds. Keeping the fob close to the car, within a couple of metres or so of clear air, means that anyone can open it, but I've tried it with mine on the other side of the house wall (concrete block with plasterboard lining) and the car stayed locked. Your wall may be a bit thinner.

It's possible that it may have worked differently on earlier models, but not on the XK.

The following 4 users liked this post by Ngarara:
bobdr1 (11-29-2014), GrtShrk (11-17-2014), ralphwg (11-17-2014), Stuart S (11-17-2014)
Old 11-17-2014, 04:47 PM
Veteran Member
Received 6,321 Likes on 3,465 Posts

Originally Posted by Ngarara
Sorry, but that's not correct (and I checked it with Jaguar some time back). Neither the XK nor the fob transmit anything until you actually pull the door handle. At that point, the car transmits to the fob, and the fob responds. Keeping the fob close to the car, within a couple of metres or so of clear air, means that anyone can open it, but I've tried it with mine on the other side of the house wall (concrete block with plasterboard lining) and the car stayed locked. Your wall may be a bit thinner.

It's possible that it may have worked differently on earlier models, but not on the XK.
Thanks for correcting my misunderstanding, which was based on the advice I thought I read on this forum to keep the key at least 10 - 20 feet away from the car when parked. Good to know that the fob stays dormant until you pull the door handle or push a button.

Interestingly, my old LS460 would turn on the puddle lights as I approached the car from about 5 feet away. Not sure if the fob sensed the car first or vice-versa. Regardless, a cool feature.

Old 11-17-2014, 09:53 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,211 Likes on 917 Posts

Regarding leaving the Ctek plugged in when not connected to the car. I leave it plugged in, but, I turn it off.

Old 11-18-2014, 10:35 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,261 Likes on 1,366 Posts

The CTEK charger should be left plugged in, and turned ON all the time. That is the only way it can monitor the battery condition properly - it can be left on for months (even years) - I know because I have done this. There is no benefit whatever in turning the unit off. Use of these units can increase battery life immensely. One of my cars, a 1992 V12 Vanden Plas was on the battery minder constantly for 12 years - same battery, same minder unit - I no longer have the car but I would not be surprised to learn that it still has the same battery (which would now be 14 years old). My XK is on the CTEK charger whenever it is not actually in use.

Attached Thumbnails CTEK 3300 Battery Charger Installation-xk-british-racing-green-005-small-.jpg  
Old 11-18-2014, 11:23 AM
Received 157 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by Snide72
... Unlike old-fashion chargers, they have the capability to determine when the battery is 100% charged and, at that time, they know to turn OFF and go into sleep mode ... but still continually monitor the charging process. They stay 'asleep' until they determine when the battery has dropped to say 90% charged, at which point, they know to turn back ON and charge the battery back up to 100%. Like I said, I'm no expert, but it's my understanding.
Wouldn't life be grand if all women had the same virtues?

Old 11-24-2014, 03:53 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,234 Likes on 789 Posts

Originally Posted by sov211
The CTEK charger should be left plugged in, and turned ON all the time. That is the only way it can monitor the battery condition properly - it can be left on for months (even years) - I know because I have done this. There is no benefit whatever in turning the unit off. Use of these units can increase battery life immensely. One of my cars, a 1992 V12 Vanden Plas was on the battery minder constantly for 12 years - same battery, same minder unit - I no longer have the car but I would not be surprised to learn that it still has the same battery (which would now be 14 years old). My XK is on the CTEK charger whenever it is not actually in use.
Totally agree. Just returned from a 21 day trip and car had not been started for nearly 28 days.

Got in the car today as CTEK is constantly hooked up when not driving....Car started up immedaitely.

If you don't own a CTEK, and own a later model Jaguar 2007+. I highly suggest that you buy one ASAP.

Thanks for the advice Gregory so many months ago. My 2009 XKR was performed flawlessly since my ownership over 19 months ago.

The following users liked this post:
bobdr1 (11-24-2014)
Old 11-25-2014, 06:26 PM
Veteran Member
Received 529 Likes on 375 Posts

Originally Posted by richzak
Totally agree. Just returned from a 21 day trip and car had not been started for nearly 28 days.

Got in the car today as CTEK is constantly hooked up when not driving....Car started up immedaitely.

If you don't own a CTEK, and own a later model Jaguar 2007+. I highly suggest that you buy one ASAP.

Thanks for the advice Gregory so many months ago. My 2009 XKR was performed flawlessly since my ownership over 19 months ago.

It's funny how we get into certain habits. I own 2 CTEKs now and have my LS430 hooked up on weekends when I've drive the Jag. It's nice to top off the batteries whenever possible.

Old 11-25-2014, 06:51 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by bocatrip
It's funny how we get into certain habits. I own 2 CTEKs now and have my LS430 hooked up on weekends when I've drive the Jag. It's nice to top off the batteries whenever possible.
So glad your happy with the CTEK 3300.

I own 3 of them, and have them connected 100% of the time when not driving the vehicles. On the newer cars with lots of electronics and computer systems these are extremely important accessories to own. The price of the CTEK 3300 is so low, it just doesn't make any sense NOT to be without one, two or even three.

I know I have made lots of posts reference the CTEK brand of chargers and have taken some criticism about promoting the brand. But for those that have taken my advice, I know they are well pleased with their purchases and trouble free battery problems.

Old 11-25-2014, 07:37 PM
Veteran Member

So glad your happy with the CTEK 3300.

I own 3 of them, and have them connected 100% of the time when not driving the vehicles. On the newer cars with lots of electronics and computer systems these are extremely important accessories to own. The price of the CTEK 3300 is so low, it just doesn't make any sense NOT to be without one, two or even three.

I know I have made lots of posts reference the CTEK brand of chargers and have taken some criticism about promoting the brand. But for those that have taken my advice, I know they are well pleased with their purchases and trouble free battery problems.

No Worries. No one on this Forum feels you are promoting the CTEK... It does the job and you have been very helpful for many things. You get a gold Star! Stay well Rich and have a great Thanksgiving!

richzak (11-25-2014)
Old 11-27-2014, 05:13 PM
Received 70 Likes on 44 Posts

Ordered mine today and the extension. I have given up on the constant fight to try and keep these batteries from discharging unless you drive the car 30 miles or more daily! Still kind of burns me up that you by this expensive of a car and have to plug it in to keep it from dying. Jaguar really needs to come up with a solution to this. Maybe a call to Lexus for advise would help. Thanks for the advise Rich. Happy Thanksgiving to all the loyal Jag forum members!

Old 11-27-2014, 05:24 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,126 Likes on 797 Posts

It's weird, though. I don't drive mine daily; probably a couple of times a week, and usually short distances (20-30 min each way). And it will sometimes sit for over a week between trips. I don't have a garage or an outside power socket so I don't use a CTEK; I do have a solar panel, but I only connect that when I'm going to be away for 2 weeks or more.

Yet, apart from some gremlins when I first got the car, probably because it had been sitting around on a dealer forecourt for a while, it's been fine. Always starts, no spurious fault codes on startup. I've had glitches with the sound system a few times, but that sometimes happens after the car's been driven, so it's not necessarily battery-related.

So, why is it that my car works fine with infrequent use, and other (ostensibly identical) cars can't survive more than a couple of days? Like I said, weird...

Old 11-27-2014, 05:40 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Ngarara
It's weird, though. I don't drive mine daily; probably a couple of times a week, and usually short distances (20-30 min each way). And it will sometimes sit for over a week between trips. I don't have a garage or an outside power socket so I don't use a CTEK; I do have a solar panel, but I only connect that when I'm going to be away for 2 weeks or more.

Yet, apart from some gremlins when I first got the car, probably because it had been sitting around on a dealer forecourt for a while, it's been fine. Always starts, no spurious fault codes on startup. I've had glitches with the sound system a few times, but that sometimes happens after the car's been driven, so it's not necessarily battery-related.

So, why is it that my car works fine with infrequent use, and other (ostensibly identical) cars can't survive more than a couple of days? Like I said, weird...

I too have no problems or "gremlins" whatsoever other than the sound system. My Infortainment system either decides it wants to dock with my USB Flashdrive for music or not, and sometimes barely works with my Iphone 6 music. I Haven't gone to the dealership with these issues because I'm on the extended warranty and don't want to get hit with a $150 diagnostic fee if they can't find a solution ( which may very well happen). Too bad, because everything else seems to be in order and yet Music is an issue. PS... My CDs, and Radio work flawlessly.....Big Deal right?

Old 11-27-2014, 06:02 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by bobdr1
Ordered mine today and the extension. I have given up on the constant fight to try and keep these batteries from discharging unless you drive the car 30 miles or more daily! Still kind of burns me up that you by this expensive of a car and have to plug it in to keep it from dying. Jaguar really needs to come up with a solution to this. Maybe a call to Lexus for advise would help. Thanks for the advise Rich. Happy Thanksgiving to all the loyal Jag forum members!
bobdr1:

I am finding that many of the premium cars now being produced have excessive drains on the battery system due to the state-of-the-art electronics. This problem is not isolated to the Jaguar brand itself.

My 2014 Porsche Cayman is the same as my Jaguar XKR. So I bought a CTEK and extension just for the Porsche. The Porsche has lots of electronics and computer related shutdowns.

I am ordering a new 2015 Corvette C7 and one of the options is called Battery Protection, which is priced at $100, and is a Battery Tender product. It is my understanding that the Battery Protection is a popular add on option. I have an extra CTEK now that I sold my 2013 Hyundai Sonata to make room for the Corvette and will use the CTEK continuously on the Corvette when not driving it. On the new 2015 Corvette C7, the battery maintainers can be hard wired to the positive terminal of the battery and negative to any bolt to the chassis. They also provide a cigarette plug adapter that fits into a 12v socket in the rear hatch of the C7.

These new cars are loaded with electronics and have the sophisticated computer systems which just don't shut down the electrical systems of the vehicle.

So I am sure that after you connect the CTEK, you to will become a happy camper, and will sleep at night knowing your battery is being kept fully charged night and day.

Thanks for taking the advice, I know you will be pleased.

Last edited by richzak; 11-27-2014 at 06:04 PM.
bobdr1 (11-28-2014)
Old 11-27-2014, 10:23 PM
Veteran Member

I am ordering a new 2015 Corvette C7 and one of the options is called Battery Protection, which is priced at $100, and is a Battery Tender product. ... .
I'm very surprised that GM would use a Battery Tender brand smartcharger. My experience with their Battery Tender Jr. was the worst; a melted plastic case fire hazard with awful customer service and a mirage for a warranty. Check out all the negative Battery Tender Jr. reviews on Amazon. I'd pass on the OEM option and buy another brand. I'm pleased with my Battery MINDER and CTEK brand smartchargers; both have been reliable and work well.

Stuart

Old 11-28-2014, 06:53 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,839 Likes on 1,233 Posts

I believe I had mentioned it before but when I had my previous fun car I needed to pick up a smart charger for my winter storage. I ended up getting one from Sears which did the trick. It is a Sears brand (don't know who makes it for them) but it works pretty good and it cost me $30.

Old 11-28-2014, 11:39 AM
Received 157 Likes on 101 Posts

I've had a Battery Tender-Plus for years and it has been flawless. I'm not certain that the brand of tender is too significant. Although they are referred to as "smart chargers", it is really pretty simple technology and I can't see how one performs better than the other. The important issue is to use one if your car is going to be sitting idle for any period of time. Like others, I've developed the habit of plugging in the tender almost every time I leave the car, even if I think I'll be using it the next day. Pretty simple way to avoid all, or at least most of the electrical gremlins that have become legendary discussion here.

Old 11-28-2014, 04:28 PM
Veteran Member

My old Battery Tender Jr. worked flawlessly, too, but I sold it together with my 1960 Corvette in 2002. They were both great because they were made in the USA. The big difference was that the Corvette body was plastic and the BT Jr. had a metal case.

Today, the Corvette still is made in the USA and has a plastic body. But the BT Jr. is now made in China and has a plastic case, which in my experience overheated and melted thereby almost causing my house to burn down. I will never buy another Battery Tender brand product.

Stuart

Old 11-28-2014, 04:59 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Stuart S
I'm very surprised that GM would use a Battery Tender brand smartcharger. My experience with their Battery Tender Jr. was the worst; a melted plastic case fire hazard with awful customer service and a mirage for a warranty. Check out all the negative Battery Tender Jr. reviews on Amazon. I'd pass on the OEM option and buy another brand. I'm pleased with my Battery MINDER and CTEK brand smartchargers; both have been reliable and work well.

Stuart
I agree. I will be using the extra CTEK I now have. I am sure that Battery Tender has struck some kind of deal with GM. I am also quite surprised how few members of the Corvette C7 forum know so little about maintaining their batteries.

Old 11-28-2014, 05:36 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,839 Likes on 1,233 Posts

Originally Posted by ndy.boyd
I've had a Battery Tender-Plus for years and it has been flawless. I'm not certain that the brand of tender is too significant. Although they are referred to as "smart chargers", it is really pretty simple technology and I can't see how one performs better than the other. The important issue is to use one if your car is going to be sitting idle for any period of time. Like others, I've developed the habit of plugging in the tender almost every time I leave the car, even if I think I'll be using it the next day. Pretty simple way to avoid all, or at least most of the electrical gremlins that have become legendary discussion here.
As long as it isn't a "trickle charger " which is different from a smart charger. I think someone posted the difference.

Old 11-28-2014, 11:14 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by jagtoes
As long as it isn't a "trickle charger " which is different from a smart charger. I think someone posted the difference.
Yes, you are corect. The CTEK is considered a "smart" charger/maintainer.

Quick Reply: CTEK 3300 Battery Charger Installation