XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

CTEK 3300 Battery Charger Installation

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2014, 02:16 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,839 Likes on 1,233 Posts

Originally Posted by bobdr1
So you are suggesting that I hook the pos. to the jumper lead behind the plastic grill on the left hand rear panel. I found this as is in the OM, it is covered by a rubber cap. I looked in the spare compartment but can find no stud on the left hand side, there are 2 bolts coming up that the black foam container for the towing screw is attached to but nothing else. Can't I hook pos to pos battery terminal as shown in richzak's pix and hook neg to some other bolt somewhere back there that's attached to frame, or can I hook it to one of the bolts that black foam container is attached to?

Any bolt or stud that is grounded to the chassis will do. In my 2012 when you look in the spare tire compartment there are 2 maybe 3 studs sticking up. They are the suggested ground point. I also found a ground inside the plastic grill area which is good to use. Just put a test light or meter on anybolt and see if it is ground.

The following users liked this post:
bobdr1 (11-30-2014)
Old 11-30-2014, 03:36 PM
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by ldmack3
That would explain a lot. I will modify the installation and report back.

Thanks very much for this info. Wish the dealer knew.
No change. Stays orange for several hours and turns green if I unplug and plug it in.
If it is green and I unlock to open a door it immediately goes orange.

Old 11-30-2014, 04:28 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,126 Likes on 797 Posts

You can connect positive to positive terminal, and then just find any convenient earthed bolt for negative. When I connect my solar panel, I clip the negative lead to the navigation unit bracket to the right of the battery.

bobdr1 (12-01-2014)
Old 11-30-2014, 05:21 PM
Veteran Member
Received 6,285 Likes on 3,449 Posts
Default Risk of Hydrogen Gas Explosion

Originally Posted by bobdr1
So you are suggesting that I hook the pos. to the jumper lead behind the plastic grill on the left hand rear panel. I found this as is in the OM, it is covered by a rubber cap. I looked in the spare compartment but can find no stud on the left hand side, there are 2 bolts coming up that the black foam container for the towing screw is attached to but nothing else. Can't I hook pos to pos battery terminal as shown in richzak's pix and hook neg to some other bolt somewhere back there that's attached to frame, or can I hook it to one of the bolts that black foam container is attached to?
Bob,

I also own a 2009 XKR and photos of how I wired my BatteryMINDER Brand smart charger are in Post #161 on Page 9 of this thread, together with the link to my original post where you can find detailed "how-to" instructions. The Owner's Handbook recommends attaching booster cables to the positive lead to the remote positive terminal behind the removable panel on the left side of the trunk and the negative to the ground post in the trunk. It doesn't matter what brand of smart charger you own; connecting is the same.

I realize that many 4.2L owners wire their chargers directly to the + and - battery terminals. I chose to not do that because the battery is in a closed compartment and, although it is vented to the outside, there is a risk, albeit small, of a hydrogen gas explosion that can be caused by a spark when attaching or disconnecting leads to those battery terminals.

Because the danger of hydrogen gas has not been discussed in this thread, I decided to copy my post from a little read 2012 thread to give my warning greater exposure:

Originally Posted by Stuart S

Ian,

Yes, I am positive (no pun intended!) about batteries producing hydrogen gas while being charged. For more info, Google "car battery charging dangers".

Here's one in particular:
"yep. i blew the top completly off of a battery on one of my fire depts. firetrucks in the shop when i took the positive clamp first and got a spark and then battery acid covered everything within 20 ft." Quoted from: What are the dangers in charging a car battery whilst still connected? - Yahoo! UK & Ireland Answers
Read the instructions that came with your battery charger, particularly the hazard warnings. If you misplaced them, see Battery charger instructions - general automotive

All car manufacturers recognize the explosion hazard and use designs to minimize that risk. Some batteries are located in the engine compartment, where there is sufficient air circulation for the hydrogen gas to safely dissipate. Other batteries are located in closed compartments, such as under a seat or in the trunk, in which case there usually is a vent to the outside.

A battery can explode even if it is taken out of the car and is being charged on a bench in the garage. That happened to my Dad back in the '50's. He got lucky and wasn't seriously injured. Hydrogen gas is colorless and odorless and you don't know it's there until it's too late.

I haven't opened the compartment where the battery is located in the trunk of my XKR, but I suspect that is is vented so that any hydrogen gas is directed outside and does not accumulate. Even so, why take any chances? Be safe and use the remote battery terminals. That's why they're there.

From my 2009 XKR Owner's Manual: "Do not connect any 12 volt equipment directly to the battery terminals. Doing so may cause a spark, which can result in an explosion." To read the entire Battery section, click on the file attachment below my signature.

Stuart
vehicle battery.pdf (249.6 KB, 83 views) ________________
Hope this helps.

Stuart

bobdr1 (12-01-2014)
Old 11-30-2014, 05:23 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,490 Likes on 908 Posts

The location recommended for the Jaguar version of the CTEK is in the attached JPG.

Attached Thumbnails CTEK 3300 Battery Charger Installation-ctek-connection.jpg  
bobdr1 (12-01-2014)
Old 11-30-2014, 07:14 PM
Veteran Member
Received 483 Likes on 404 Posts

Hmmmm... this discussion is making me nervous!

Hopefully the risk for me is less since I have an AGM sealed battery.

Old 11-30-2014, 07:56 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,233 Likes on 789 Posts

Originally Posted by u102768
The location recommended for the Jaguar version of the CTEK is in the attached JPG.
This for a 2010 model and up. The diagram looks like its from a 2012 MY which is correctly posted. 2009 MY's and earlier can be connected directly to the terminals. This has been discussed many times on this thread.

As for sparks, the CTEK smart chargers will not create sparks. I am not sure about other chargers. Here's the info and video from the CTEK website..

I am sure that Jaguar in the 2009 MY as Stuart posted, is a sort of disclaimer.

I have had my CTEK hooked directly to the battery terminals on my 2009 Jaguar XKR, 2014 Porsche 981 and 2013 Hyundai Sonata 2.0T (sold) without any incidents.

If your not using a CTEK charger, then you should complete your due diligence on how the unit (other than CTEK) should be connected.

The CTEK website anwsers many questions that car owners might be concerned with. CTEK is the leading "smartcharger/maintainer" that premium car companies have endorsed and sell with their own respective brands clerly listed on the units.

CTEK Battery Chargers - The World's Smarter Battery Charger

There are numerous videos on You Tube specific to the CTEK brand and how they should be installed.

Take few minutes to watch this video if you have concerns about connecting the CTEK directly to the terminals. In all their manuals, installation of the terminal connectors are the same, direct wiring to the battery terminals. This video also helps in determining which CTEK smart charger may be right for your personal application.

Hopefully this post will "end" the continuing discussion on how CTEK smartchargers should be installed and the posts made about sparking.

For those who have made a CTEK purchase for their respective vehicles, you should not worry about problems being created by the CTEK smartchargers as they are pretty much foolproof. The endorsements and optionable equipment of the premium automotive brands lends support and confidence of the CTEK brand.

If your NOT using a CTEK brand, I highly suggest you find the model that is right for your personal application and buy one. $60.00 (CTEK 3300) is a small investment for battery and electrical failure peace of mind. The CTEK 3300 is the top seller of all CTEK models on the market.

Happy Motoring.......Jaguar Forum members.

Last edited by richzak; 11-30-2014 at 08:02 PM.
bobdr1 (12-01-2014)
Old 11-30-2014, 08:45 PM
Veteran Member
Received 6,285 Likes on 3,449 Posts
Default New Model CTEK MUS 4.3 Smart Charger

Originally Posted by amcdonal86
Hmmmm... this discussion is making me nervous!

Hopefully the risk for me is less since I have an AGM sealed battery.
All batteries, flooded and AGM, produce hydrogen gas when charging and eventually discharge over time to the point where replacement is required. Smart chargers, including but not limited to the CTEK brand, help prolong battery life by desulfation and maintaining the charge.

The CTEK 3300 that Richzak advocates is a good unit. However, I bought the newer model CTEK MUS 4.3 for my recently purchased 2013 XJ SC because it is a more advanced 8-step charger specifically designed for both flooded and AGM batteries. My next battery (whenever that may be) will definitely be AGM. Here's the link to the CTEK MUS 4.3 on Amazon, for $57.00 delivered:
Amazon.com: CTEK (56-864) MUS 4.3 12-VoltBattery Charger: Automotive Amazon.com: CTEK (56-864) MUS 4.3 12-VoltBattery Charger: Automotive

And here it is in my XJ:

Here's the link to my complete post with installation pix in the XJ Forum: https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...lation-130801/

I always plug my Jags into their smart chargers when parked at home and have never had any problems.

Stuart

The following 2 users liked this post by Stuart S:
bobdr1 (12-01-2014), richzak (11-30-2014)
Old 11-30-2014, 09:21 PM
Veteran Member

Great choice Stuart for the new Jaguar XJ. Amazon has great prices for the CTEK, and you bought great model. That XJ will never lose power or have electrical problems now.

Happy motoring. Enjoy the new ride and be sure to post a few photos of the XJ parked next to that very "rare" 2009 Jaguar XKR Portfolio Edition Convertible.

I took mine out for a birthday dinner with my wife. I always enjoy pulling it out of the garage. It's also a head turner too. I am the only one that I know who drives an XKR in our small little town of 100,000 people. That's rare too.

Stuart S (11-30-2014)
Old 11-30-2014, 09:53 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by richzak
This for a 2010 model and up. The diagram looks like its from a 2012 MY which is correctly posted. 2009 MY's and earlier can be connected directly to the terminals. This has been discussed many times on this thread.

As for sparks, the CTEK smart chargers will not create sparks. I am not sure about other chargers. Here's the info and video from the CTEK website..

I am sure that Jaguar in the 2009 MY as Stuart posted, is a sort of disclaimer.

I have had my CTEK hooked directly to the battery terminals on my 2009 Jaguar XKR, 2014 Porsche 981 and 2013 Hyundai Sonata 2.0T (sold) without any incidents.

If your not using a CTEK charger, then you should complete your due diligence on how the unit (other than CTEK) should be connected.

The CTEK website anwsers many questions that car owners might be concerned with. CTEK is the leading "smartcharger/maintainer" that premium car companies have endorsed and sell with their own respective brands clerly listed on the units.

CTEK Battery Chargers - The World's Smarter Battery Charger

There are numerous videos on You Tube specific to the CTEK brand and how they should be installed.

Take few minutes to watch this video if you have concerns about connecting the CTEK directly to the terminals. In all their manuals, installation of the terminal connectors are the same, direct wiring to the battery terminals. This video also helps in determining which CTEK smart charger may be right for your personal application.

CTEK - The Smartest Battery Chargers in the World - YouTube

Hopefully this post will "end" the continuing discussion on how CTEK smartchargers should be installed and the posts made about sparking.

For those who have made a CTEK purchase for their respective vehicles, you should not worry about problems being created by the CTEK smartchargers as they are pretty much foolproof. The endorsements and optionable equipment of the premium automotive brands lends support and confidence of the CTEK brand.

If your NOT using a CTEK brand, I highly suggest you find the model that is right for your personal application and buy one. $60.00 (CTEK 3300) is a small investment for battery and electrical failure peace of mind. The CTEK 3300 is the top seller of all CTEK models on the market.

Happy Motoring.......Jaguar Forum members.
I don't believe the charger will create sparks, but I did create sparks during installation by having the wrench touch the battery post and "bulkhead" simultaneously by accident. I suppose if I were uninstalling the charger, it could pose a problem if hydrogen had built up.

Old 11-30-2014, 10:09 PM
Veteran Member

I don't believe the charger will create sparks, but I did create sparks during installation by having the wrench touch the battery post and "bulkhead" simultaneously by accident. I suppose if I were uninstalling the charger, it could pose a problem if hydrogen had built up.
Alan:

If you own a CTEK as stated that you do, no worries about posing a problem with hydrogen or creating a spark.

However when you used the wrench and created the spark, thats a whole different thing. Problem was the mechanic (Alan) and the not using a protected wrench with either rubber on the shaft or tape.

Otherwise, I assume the CTEK is working quite well for you. Sounds like you're in your new home and have electrical to the car. Great news for you.

Old 12-01-2014, 06:32 AM
Received 68 Likes on 43 Posts

Thanks to all of you folks for the info. Will hook it up as suggested in the diagram obtained from our New Zealand member! What a forum!

Old 12-01-2014, 08:16 AM
Veteran Member

How many of us here actually covered the wrench with tape or rubber?

Old 12-01-2014, 09:00 AM
Received 157 Likes on 101 Posts

I do. I learned the hard way and still have a twitch to prove it.

Old 12-01-2014, 09:12 AM
Veteran Member

Alan:
It's not about "How many of us here actually covered the wrench with tape or rubber?".

Anytime when working with electric, whether car, home or otherwise, you should use proper tools to protect both yourself and components. It is important to "think ahead" when making any type of repair, using the proper tools. Next time, spend a few minutes to wrap your 10mm wrench in tape, or buy a small jar/can of rubberized solution that you simply dip your wrench into for a permanent rubberized handle. It is so easy to do, and so cheap to buy. Spend a few bucks and spend an hour or two dipping a few of your tools in this easy to use product. You will be glad you did. Also buying a few different colors will also help distingush one tool from another. You own an expensive premuim automobile, protect it.

I know you were hard to accept the CTEK smartcharger and came down on me several times about promoting the brand. Take this simple advice to make your tools protective. You will be glad you did. We are all here to help each other. All of us expect nothing in return for our advice or opinion, just to help each other, and this is what makes this forum so special.

Plasti Dip Protective Coating Products | Plasti Dip Protective Coating Products | Rubber Dip Coating

Performix Brand Plasti Dip-11603-6 at The Home Depot

You can even buy cheap rubberized handled wrenches at places like Harbor Freight.

I bet you won't use that wrench again when working on the battery. Or least you might think about this post and be extra careful in the future by taping or rubberizing your wrench.

Happy motoring Alan. Keep up your personal posts, as yours also; are very helpful to all of us.

Old 12-08-2014, 04:33 PM
Received 68 Likes on 43 Posts

Okay got the 3300, attached it yesterday, battery had 12.3v prior, car locked, ctek was orange for 18hrs, I detached it, reattached and it was green. Stayed green for 6hrs, then I detached it again, checked battery and read 12.7. See how it goes from here, will drive tomorrow and the attach the extention to the ctek again. Will check battery voltage before driving it tomorrow. I set up ctek with the standard car battery mode. I have a duracell AGM and the info says that "with some Agm" batteries like optima you should use the winter mode? Should I use winter mode with the duracell? I am taking it to the jag dealer in 3 days and will ask them about : NHTSA Item Number: 10045599 Service Bulletin Number: SB-3-287
Date of Bulletin: Apr 20, 2012 Component: Electrical System thanks

Old 12-08-2014, 06:09 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,756 Likes on 1,327 Posts

I have had the CTEK 3300 installed on my 2005 Jaguar XJR for 2 weeks now, used overnite, and am very pleased with the peace of mind. I notice that some people do not have any covers over their battery terminals. Thats one of the first things I did when I noticed that I did not when I bought the car.
I have also used the CTEK on my Dodge Truck, wifes Toyota, and my tractor. I used the crokadile clips for those.

Old 12-08-2014, 09:24 PM
Received 493 Likes on 372 Posts

Bah. Most of the time you live through an electrocution.

Rw99 (12-10-2014)
Old 12-09-2014, 10:05 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,209 Likes on 915 Posts

I bought my Ctek on Amazon in May of this year and had been using it ever since. Starting about two weeks ago the green diode has been lit constantly along with the orange diode doing a rapid flash no matter what mode the Ctek was in. Even after shutting it down or unplugging it, when I would turn it on, the same thing. Yesterday I sent an email to Ctek's Ohio office asking how to rectify the situation. They emailed me back telling me to return it to them and they would replace the Cteck under the 5 year limited warranty. I am shipping it tomorrow and will let you know when I get the replacement unit.

All in all, I must say that I am very pleased with their reaction; it was quite professional and the correct way to deal with a faulty piece of equipment.

Old 12-10-2014, 11:44 AM
Received 157 Likes on 101 Posts

Yes, this type of service, sadly, is not the norm and really gets your attention when you're the beneficiary. A few weeks ago, my year old Keurig coffee machine broke and from the time I called the help desk to the time I had the no charge replacement unit delivered to my door, it was two business days. It is a mystery to me why companies don't recognize that this level of service should be the norm, instead of the majority who will jump through hoops to avoid responsibility. Good for Ctek for being one of the good ones.

Last edited by ndy.boyd; 12-10-2014 at 11:47 AM.

Quick Reply: CTEK 3300 Battery Charger Installation