XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

CTEK 3300 Battery Charger Installation

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2014, 08:32 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,126 Likes on 797 Posts

There are a shedload of conditions that have to be met before the car will start:

The engine starting process is initiated when the start/stop switch and the brake pedal are pressed simultaneously. The engine management system will only allow the engine crank, fuel and ignition functions when the following conditions are met:
  • A hardwired P (park)/N (neutral) signal is received from the TCM (transmission control module)
  • A hardwired ignition signal is received from the CJB
  • A hardwired crank request signal is received from the CJB
  • An encrypted data exchange between the instrument cluster and the ECM is verified.
Before the CJB will send the hardwired ignition signal, it must satisfactorily complete the following:
  • Exchange encrypted data with the keyless vehicle module to validate the smart key
  • Exchange encrypted data with the instrument cluster to authorize the ignition status.
Additionally, before the CJB will send the hardwired crank request signal it must receive the following signals:
  • Brake pressure signal from the ABS (anti-lock brake system) module, which must be greater than a pre-determined threshold
  • Hardwired transmission in P signal from the JaguarDrive selector.
(N.B. this is for the 5.0, but I believe the 4.2 is similar)

I know that, in one case, failure to crank was caused by air in the brake lines, which meant that the brake pressure didn't meet the threshold. But it could be a glitch in any of the other checks.

The following users liked this post:
powerhouse (12-14-2014)
Old 02-01-2015, 07:17 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,367 Likes on 1,482 Posts

Well, I have finally succumbed to the CTEK bandwagon. The original battery on the XKR lasted 6 years, just like every other Jag battery has but it is nice to know the battery is always fully charged considering how much time it just sits un used. Installed the MUS 4.3 today with the 8-step indicator. Started out on step 2 and went to step 3 fairly quickly then after several hours it went to step 4 where it has been for about 2 hours. I did not need the extra long extension cord as the one attached is more than long enough for the tender to sit outside the car on the wall. HOWEVER the quick disconnect that attached to the battery is too short and barely gets past the battery cover so I am going to order the indicator panel kit which allows for an actual outlet to be mounted in one of the trunk panels, it is a longer cord and has a visual indicator for the condition of the battery.

Thank you for everyone's input in this thread!

ralphwg (02-02-2015)
Old 02-10-2015, 09:18 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,367 Likes on 1,482 Posts

Received and installed the comfort indicator panel. Cord well long enough to pass around the right side behind the trunk liner. Cut a small hole with a razor knife on the part that faces the rear of the car just past the trunk light closest to the rear. Perfect seamless fit. Also the holes on the terminals were smaller and a better fit than the short cable that came with the Ctek. Very happy with everything. Highly recommend to anyone who buys a Ctek.

Old 04-07-2015, 06:00 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My 2013 XKR was dead last night! It hadn't been driven for 3 months but it had been on a trickle charge using the Jaguar supplied (at purchase) charger. Once bitten, the Jaguar charger will now get binned. Does anyone know the version of the CTEK charger sold in the UK for my '13 XKR Conv't? The CTEK dealer I spoke to here wasn't very helpful.

Thanks in anticipation.

Old 04-07-2015, 07:15 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,126 Likes on 797 Posts

Not sure - but, FYI, the Jag charger is a CTEK.

Lothar52 (04-07-2015)
Old 04-08-2015, 08:08 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,233 Likes on 789 Posts

Originally Posted by Eastneuk
My 2013 XKR was dead last night! It hadn't been driven for 3 months but it had been on a trickle charge using the Jaguar supplied (at purchase) charger. Once bitten, the Jaguar charger will now get binned. Does anyone know the version of the CTEK charger sold in the UK for my '13 XKR Conv't? The CTEK dealer I spoke to here wasn't very helpful.

Thanks in anticipation.

Eastneuk:

The Jaguar charger is indeed a CTEK brand charger with the Jaguar logo on the front. Doubtful that the CTEK smartcharger is bad.

However, if your in the market for a new one, in the UK I would suggest the following: CTEK MXS5.0 a new technology 8-step smartcharger.

The CTEK MXS5.0 is the same as the CTEK MUS4.3 sold here in the USA. Price here is about $68.00 US.

You will find that the MXS5.0 is one great smartcharger. I currently have 4 CTEK's and would not be without one being connected to my premium sports cars that I own.

I have attached a link for you to make it easy to reference the CTEKMXS5.0 smartcharger.....this has the EU plug.

Ctek MXS 5.0 New Model (EU Plug Type): Amazon.co.uk: Car & Motorbike Ctek MXS 5.0 New Model (EU Plug Type): Amazon.co.uk: Car & Motorbike

This CTEK will work well.

Richard in the USA (New Mexico)

Eastneuk (04-08-2015)
Old 09-18-2015, 09:38 AM
Received 89 Likes on 77 Posts

a very nice write-up Richard. thank you for the detail. I will order my CTec this weekend. should be standard equipment on an xk.

Old 08-31-2016, 08:02 PM

I bought the CTEK 3300, but after reading all the warnings that came with it about explosive gasses, I hesitate to install it as my garage is not ventilated in anyway and the hot water heater is nearby. Is there really any danger that the electronic ignition on the hot water heater could cause an explosion?

Old 08-31-2016, 08:18 PM
Veteran Member
Received 6,285 Likes on 3,449 Posts

Originally Posted by marvdenny
I bought the CTEK 3300, but after reading all the warnings that came with it about explosive gasses, I hesitate to install it as my garage is not ventilated in anyway and the hot water heater is nearby. Is there really any danger that the electronic ignition on the hot water heater could cause an explosion?
I doubt that your garage is air tight, but even if it is your fear is unfounded.

The danger of explosion is from hydrogen gas that is produced whenever a battery is being charged. But for that hydrogen gas to explode, it has to be in a confined space - like the battery compartment in the rear of your car. Note that Jaguar engineers recognized this possibility, so they designed your battery with a vent tube to remove the hydrogen gas from the confines of the battery compartment to the outside, namely, into your garage, where it will dissipate and no longer be able to explode. The electronic ignition on your water heater poses no risk since any hydrogen gas would be so dissipated as to not be sufficiently concentrated to explode.

You can sleep well!

Stuart

Last edited by Stuart S; 09-01-2016 at 05:33 AM.
Kevin77 (09-01-2016)
Old 09-04-2016, 03:20 PM

I brought an '07 in this past January and, of course, I learned the hard way about the battery drain problem so I bought the CTEK 3300 battery charger. Just now I went to install it and found that there are no nuts on those posts. Can anyone tell me what size nut to buy?

Last edited by marvdenny; 09-04-2016 at 04:53 PM.
Old 09-04-2016, 04:05 PM
Veteran Member

I brought an '07 in this past January and, of course, I learned the hard way about the battery drain problem so I bought the CTEK 3300 battery charger. Just now I went to install it and found that there are no nuts on those posts. Can anyone tells what size nut to buy?
If I remember correctly?......10mm fine thread should do it, if you talking about the same thread bolts on the terminals.

These are available at any Home Depot or local hardware store. Take the car with you, and try. They should only cost about .20 cents each.

Attached Thumbnails CTEK 3300 Battery Charger Installation-ctek-3300-installation-xk-xkr-009-copy.jpg  

Last edited by richzak; 09-04-2016 at 04:07 PM.
marvdenny (09-04-2016)
Old 09-05-2016, 02:15 PM

Got installed finally. I wish my arms were longer as I dropped the first nut and had to take the spare tire out to find it.

Now I am wondering if the manual's warning about removing the plug from the socket before disconnecting the charger has any merit? What's is your practice?

Old 09-05-2016, 05:22 PM
Veteran Member

Got installed finally. I wish my arms were longer as I dropped the first nut and had to take the spare tire out to find it.

Now I am wondering if the manual's warning about removing the plug from the socket before disconnecting the charger has any merit? What's is your practice?
Marvdenny:

What socket are you referring to? The electrical socket or the plug connect on the CTEK cord.

My CTEK chargers (all 4) are always kept plugged into the electrical outlet to the unit.

I only disconnect the CTEK Quick Connect plug and off I go.

Hope this helps.

marvdenny (09-05-2016)
Old 09-05-2016, 06:24 PM

That's want I wanted to know! Thanks, much.

Old 09-12-2016, 01:48 PM

So I got my CTEK charger installed and the indicator lights showed that it was happily charging away. I returned a couple of hours later and the lights indicated that the battery was fully charged. That was two weeks ago and I have driven the car several times since then and the problem appeared to be solved. That is until today. We drove across town, about 10 miles and back. All appeared well until we were close to home. Then the dreaded 'brake light failure' message came up! The charger now indicates that the battery is fully charged after about 2 hours. What's going on?

Old 09-12-2016, 02:00 PM
Veteran Member
Received 633 Likes on 410 Posts

How old is your battery and have you had it checked? You could be charging a battery that is not good and when under load is failing.

Old 09-12-2016, 06:07 PM

I bought the car in Jan so I don't know how old the battery is but I just came back from a local battery shop and it checked out OK. Here's the fun part. As soon as I started the car up again the error message was gone.

Old 09-12-2016, 09:29 PM
Veteran Member

Keep using the CTEK daily. What CTEK did you buy?

Old 09-12-2016, 11:44 PM

Multi us 3300

Old 03-03-2017, 07:52 PM
Received 29 Likes on 18 Posts

I have to thank the originators of this thread, albeit an oldie. After having read all there is to read about electrical drains on a Jag, and after experiencing the same drain issues with my 2005 MINI Cooper S, discovering a great charger such as this CTEK 3300 is a great find to be sure...

I just installed my CTEK 3300 today. The correct size of the nuts used for attaching the two pigtail leads for my 2008 XKR are 6mm, 1.00 pitch, and requires a 10mm wrench for tightening. I chose to run the extension lead around the right (passenger) side of the boot, behind the liner. The remaining cord and plug are accessible by removing the cover where we access the convertible hood pump. I also removed the supplied plug cap quite easily and reinstalled it at the end of the extension. Everything stows nicely behind the cover when not in use.

A very easy 20 minute install project, after acquiring the proper 6mm stainless lock nuts.

Last edited by Firecat17; 03-03-2017 at 08:58 PM.

Quick Reply: CTEK 3300 Battery Charger Installation