XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

CTEK 3300 Battery Charger Installation

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2014, 08:16 PM
Veteran Member
Received 370 Likes on 249 Posts

Please someone take a pic of it close up and far away... I still cant seem to find it I must be BLIND!

Loth

Old 03-11-2014, 05:27 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How about with an AGM battery? Is it ok to use with those? Also, if you just have you car in accessory mode with all the electronics on, is it ok to still have it plugged in? I'm assuming it would just show it's back to charging at that point.

Going to pickup my XK today or tomorrow. Decided after reading all the electrical problem posts to get one of these and/or a AGM battery. I saw in my cars maint history the battery has been replaced twice in the 4 years since new. Wow! The latest was only a month ago. I suppose this is not that unusal these days. My 08 Vette had the battery replaced in 3 years. All the elctronics these days is killer on cars that sit for a few days at a time I guess.Thought this smart charger might be a good thing to have, if nothing else but to be able to check your battery state quickly. Thanks for the advice on this!

Old 03-14-2014, 02:04 PM
Received 43 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Knomad
I wired mine to the remote terminals. It was a lot less trouble than what some people seem to be having. The only thing I had to do was to crimp on larger O-ring lugs to the charger cable in order to have it fit the terminals. It's worked fine so far this winter.
I've had my ctek connected directly to the battery terminals and charging for a couple of days now. It went to green after some 5 hours and remained so. it does get warm while amber charging, but gets cooler on green. I think the queiscent current of an idle XKR is some 30mA; pretty low. I think I'll prefer connecting it to the remote terminals as you're suggesting. I'll try to use fly nuts rather than hex nuts for ease of removal. Somehow I think using the remote terminals is safer as you can leave the comfort cable in the + remote terminal compartment rather than in the tyre well.

Old 03-14-2014, 03:50 PM

Originally Posted by ejjbee
I've had my ctek connected directly to the battery terminals and charging for a couple of days now. It went to green after some 5 hours and remained so. it does get warm while amber charging, but gets cooler on green. I think the queiscent current of an idle XKR is some 30mA; pretty low. I think I'll prefer connecting it to the remote terminals as you're suggesting. I'll try to use fly nuts rather than hex nuts for ease of removal. Somehow I think using the remote terminals is safer as you can leave the comfort cable in the + remote terminal compartment rather than in the tyre well.
One other (IMO) big advantage of connecting the ctek charger to the remote terminals rather than directly to the battery is that the jump start post is a fused point. It seems that there's the 400A battery junction box fuse between it and the battery positive terminal. If somehow the ctek comfort cable gets shorted there's at least this fuse to protect from an exploding battery.

Old 03-14-2014, 04:08 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,126 Likes on 797 Posts

If you have a 4.2, permanently connecting to the terminals is OK. If you have a 5.0, it has a battery monitor module, and you apparently ought to connect outside that, which is why the remote terminals are a better bet.

Old 03-14-2014, 04:20 PM

Originally Posted by Ngarara
If you have a 4.2, permanently connecting to the terminals is OK. If you have a 5.0, it has a battery monitor module, and you apparently ought to connect outside that, which is why the remote terminals are a better bet.
Even with the 4.2, if you connect directly to the battery there's still the possibility of an 'unprotected' short circuit on the battery should the comfort cable gets somehow shorted, so it's probably always wiser to connect on the remote terminals in both the 4.2 and 5.0L models. Unless the comfort cable can be obtained with an integrated fuse.

Old 03-14-2014, 04:42 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,126 Likes on 797 Posts

An interesting note in the workshop manual, which contradicts the story that the remote terminals are there to (allegedly) prevent sparks & explosions:

Although also fitted to coupe vehicles, the terminal has been specifically designed to allow a convertible vehicle to be jump started if a drained battery is experienced when the top is in the stowed condition.
So, the remote terminals are only there because getting to the battery is kinda tricky when the 'vert top is down.

Old 03-14-2014, 04:58 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,233 Likes on 789 Posts

Originally Posted by ejjbee
One other (IMO) big advantage of connecting the ctek charger to the remote terminals rather than directly to the battery is that the jump start post is a fused point. It seems that there's the 400A battery junction box fuse between it and the battery positive terminal. If somehow the ctek comfort cable gets shorted there's at least this fuse to protect from an exploding battery.
CTEK won't short out, it has the technology that even if you cross terminals ... red eyelet to black negative terminal and black eyelet to red positive terminal it won't short out.

Suggest buying a sealed lead-acid batttery and a permanent installaion of the CTEK eyelet leads to the battery terminal threads.
Each time the car is parked at home, connect the CTEK.

There are so many owners here that can and will attest the CTEK works flawlessly.

I also have the 2009MY XKR 4.2L...I have used the CTEK 3300 without any reported problems in the last 9 months of continous use when parked in my gargage.

Last edited by richzak; 03-14-2014 at 05:04 PM.
Old 03-15-2014, 07:56 AM

Originally Posted by richzak
CTEK won't short out, it has the technology that even if you cross terminals ... red eyelet to black negative terminal and black eyelet to red positive terminal it won't short out.

Suggest buying a sealed lead-acid batttery and a permanent installaion of the CTEK eyelet leads to the battery terminal threads.
Each time the car is parked at home, connect the CTEK.

There are so many owners here that can and will attest the CTEK works flawlessly.

I also have the 2009MY XKR 4.2L...I have used the CTEK 3300 without any reported problems in the last 9 months of continous use when parked in my gargage.
Fully agreed with the ctek reputation. The issue of fuse protection relates more to when you do not have the charger connected but the comfort cable connected to the battery and lying loose in the tyre well.

Old 07-07-2014, 05:30 PM
Veteran Member
Received 483 Likes on 404 Posts

Originally Posted by richzak
As many of you already know, I am a big fan of the CTEK smart battery chargers especially the CTEK 3300. Many of you have purchased this smart trickle charger on my recommendation. Many have asked how to install the CTEK. So I thought I'd show a step by step process on how I have my CTEK 3300 installed on my 2009 XKR convertible.

It is a simple process that should take no more than 10 to 15 minutes to install. Also, I have suggested that if you buy the CTEK 3300 to also purchase the CTEK 8' Comfort Extension. As you will see from the photos, the length of the CTEK cord that has the terminal round connectors is quite short. You want to attach the CTEK 8' Comfort Extension between the short lead cord and the charger cord. It has a quick connect/disconnect plug. This will provide plenty of extra length to secure your CTEK charger to a wall or cabinet, thus eliminating the need to keep it on the garage floor. With the extension you can place the cord under the spare tire for a nice clean look. In addition, if you keep your car under a car cover such as mine, the car cover will fit over the cord without any problems. There is plenty of room when the trunk is closed that the CTEK cord simply comes out of the tail end, without any damaged to the rubber seal of the trunk.

I strongly feel that anybody that owns a Jaguar should have one of these smart chargers hooked to your car battery. It will eliminate so many problems and electrical gremlins that might effect the electronics of the car. Your battery will always be fully charged. I realize there are other name brand chargers, but in my experience the CTEK charger works great and is highly reliable.

Hope this info helps.
I am about to install my CTEK 3300 on my XKR! However, I am going to store the entire unit in the spare tire well, and lift up the spare tire well to connect my extension cord from the wall receptacle. I am probably going to install it directly to the battery. Any idea of the battery posts already come with the nuts? Or do I need to run to the hardware store to pick up the appropriate nuts? Any idea what size/pitch?

Old 07-07-2014, 07:40 PM
Veteran Member

Got it installed! Turns out the battery posts where you'd hook up the CTEK require M6x1.0 nuts.

The only thing I'd say is be very careful with your wrench/socket. I was putting on the positive side and accidentally contacted my socket wrench with the "backwall" and it made a big spark! Not sure how dangerous this is but it startled me!

Old 07-07-2014, 09:16 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by amcdonal86
Got it installed! Turns out the battery posts where you'd hook up the CTEK require M6x1.0 nuts.

The only thing I'd say is be very careful with your wrench/socket. I was putting on the positive side and accidentally contacted my socket wrench with the "backwall" and it made a big spark! Not sure how dangerous this is but it startled me!
Alan:

Yes, that can happen. It is suggested to wrap the wrench that you are using to disconnect the positive of any car battery for the same reason you found out. It is so easy to strike metal with the wrench.

Great news on the CTEK Installation. It will provide peace of mind for you.

My only comment is that in the future you may want to able to see the CTEK Control unit light whether it is Amber or Green or Pulsating Amber. I have my control unit visable so I can see the Amber, Green or Pulsating Amber light. Keep in mind it is made to be seen not hidden away in the trunk wheel well so you can see the lights.

The good news is you have it installed. I am sure you found my (if you used them) instructions easy to complete the job, I hope so.

The following users liked this post:
amcdonal86 (07-07-2014)
Old 07-07-2014, 09:51 PM
Veteran Member

Richard,

Your photos were very useful! Thanks!

The problem I'm having now is that my electrician has wired my exterior receptacle to the flood light in the back yard. So if I want the receptacle to be live, the flood light is steady on! So out of concern for the neighbors, I have turned it off for the night.

I will just unplug that blasted flood light bulb in the future. But I can't reach it--it's too high up!

Old 07-07-2014, 11:58 PM
Veteran Member
Received 664 Likes on 572 Posts

[QUOTE=richzak;931508

[/QUOTE]

+1. My last XK8 had the original battery installed and after 9 and 1/2 years was still going strong. Not once in the time that I owned it did I have any problems with the electrical system.

The battery I have in my current XK is also original to the car, week 15 of 08. I hope to better the longevity of the last one and that is all thanks to the CTEK.

Old 07-08-2014, 07:12 AM
Received 59 Likes on 39 Posts

As mentioned in a previous posting, I wired the positive side of my battery charger to the to the remote charging port in the trunk of my XKR rather than directly to the battery.
When I recently had my battery replaced, the dealer told me I needed to rewire the charger to connect directly to the battery.

What is the difference? I assumed the remote terminal was a direct connection to the battery.

Old 07-08-2014, 07:30 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,839 Likes on 1,233 Posts

As mentioned in a previous posting, I wired the positive side of my battery charger to the to the remote charging port in the trunk of my XKR rather than directly to the battery.
When I recently had my battery replaced, the dealer told me I needed to rewire the charger to connect directly to the battery.

What is the difference? I assumed the remote terminal was a direct connection to the battery.
Interesting as the 3 dealers I have been at all have the Ctek's attached through the left side trunk grill. I guess I would like to see the wiring diag. but I suspect the post in the boot cable goes directly to the pos. post on the battery.

Old 07-08-2014, 08:12 AM
GGG
Received 16,851 Likes on 12,186 Posts

....... When I recently had my battery replaced, the dealer told me I needed to rewire the charger to connect directly to the battery.

The difference could be the dealer didn't read the Jaguar Battery Charging Kit installation instructions.

The red and blue circles are my edit to highlight the connection locations.

Graham

Attached Thumbnails CTEK 3300 Battery Charger Installation-ctek-connection.jpg  
The following 3 users liked this post by GGG:
ag986 (09-22-2015), JonWat (09-17-2016), ralphwg (07-08-2014)
Old 07-08-2014, 09:45 AM
Veteran Member

Once again, as a reminder, and to end any controversy over how some are insistent about connecting a smartcharger to the battery.

On the 2007-2009 4.2L you can connect the CTEK smartcharger direct to the battery terminals.

On the 2010 -2014 5.0L it is suggested to connect to the "positive" terminal directly, and the "negative" to a earth ground.

The 2007-2014 batteries are vented via the vent tube that exits thru the body, usually on the left side of the battery.

This post does not apply to jumping batteries, or attaching a battery booster cable, only connecting a simple battery smartcharger like a CTEK, Battery Tender or any other related type trickle charger.

Hopefully this might end the confusion that is being created. Keep in mind this subject has been hashed over here on the forums many times.

Last edited by richzak; 07-08-2014 at 10:07 AM.
Old 07-08-2014, 10:05 AM
Veteran Member
Received 521 Likes on 374 Posts

Originally Posted by GGG
The difference could be the dealer didn't read the Jaguar Battery Charging Kit installation instructions.

The red and blue circles are my edit to highlight the connection locations.

Graham

I've had my CTEK leads going directly to the battery for the last 7 months but as suggested would like to move the negative lead. I'm trying to find that specific location for the negative charger lead. I assume it is under the left trim panel. Is there a nut there or do I need to find one that fits? What size would it be? Does it have to be in that very spot? I found a negative contact right under the battery support which seems to work if I had a nut to fit over the male connection.

Last edited by bocatrip; 07-08-2014 at 10:09 AM.
Old 07-08-2014, 10:35 AM
Received 59 Likes on 39 Posts

Richzak:

It was not my intention to confuse anyone. It is me that is confused.
I know you can connect he CTEK directly to the battery, however, my question is simply "As an alternative to hooking up the CTEK extensions directly to the battery, is there a problem if I connect the positive lead from the CTEK extension to the remote positive charging terminal behind the grate on the left side of the trunk and the negative lead to the bolt under the trunk liner?"

After rereading the thread more closely, I noticed the notes from ejjbee stating that there is a fuse between the remote terminal and the battery. I don't see that being an issue.

Quick Reply: CTEK 3300 Battery Charger Installation