XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

CTEK 3300 Battery Charger Installation

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2014, 12:21 PM
Veteran Member
Received 521 Likes on 374 Posts

Is the location specified on the above diagram for the negative lead for the charger the same location where the negative cable for the battery is bolted into the chassis under that trim cover?

Old 07-08-2014, 03:38 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,233 Likes on 789 Posts

Originally Posted by Knomad
Richzak: It was not my intention to confuse anyone. It is me that is confused. I know you can connect he CTEK directly to the battery, however, my question is simply "As an alternative to hooking up the CTEK extensions directly to the battery, is there a problem if I connect the positive lead from the CTEK extension to the remote positive charging terminal behind the grate on the left side of the trunk and the negative lead to the bolt under the trunk liner?" After rereading the thread more closely, I noticed the notes from ejjbee stating that there is a fuse between the remote terminal and the battery. I don't see that being an issue.
Knomad:

Yes, you can make the connection as you are suggesting with the remote positive and negative to the bolt.

The CTEK brand will provide a message light sequence if the battery is NOT charging thru the remote terminal to the battery. The CTEK module will have a flashing Amber light. This flashing warning says the battery is not charging and there is a disconnect somewhere from the CTEK module to the battery.

In addition, the CTEK does have an additonal safety feature and that is a built in 15 AMP in-line fuse.

I think you will find that the CTEK brand is pretty much foolproof.

Old 07-08-2014, 03:55 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,839 Likes on 1,233 Posts

Originally Posted by Knomad
Richzak:

It was not my intention to confuse anyone. It is me that is confused.
I know you can connect he CTEK directly to the battery, however, my question is simply "As an alternative to hooking up the CTEK extensions directly to the battery, is there a problem if I connect the positive lead from the CTEK extension to the remote positive charging terminal behind the grate on the left side of the trunk and the negative lead to the bolt under the trunk liner?"

After rereading the thread more closely, I noticed the notes from ejjbee stating that there is a fuse between the remote terminal and the battery. I don't see that being an issue.
I had a Sears smart charger that I used on my old Ferrari. I now use it on the 2012 XKR. I still use a "clamp" on the POS. Terminal behind the grill in the boot and also a ground lug near the tail light assembly. I run the wire through the grill and it lies in the trunk. After a drive I just plug in the extension and then plug the unit into the wall socket. Le the wire sit out of the trunk and close the lid. Yellow light on the charger turns to green in about 5 minutes. I think any "smart" charger will work so get what you want.

Old 07-08-2014, 05:49 PM
Veteran Member
Received 483 Likes on 404 Posts

I came home from work today and opened my trunk to find that the CTEK unit was extremely hot. I couldn't hold onto it for more than a few seconds--I am lucky it didn't cause a fire. I noticed that the lights were very dim on the unit and no status light appeared to be on (X, charge or maintain). I unplugged the unit from my extension cord and then plugged it back in and the lights lit up brightly, with the "maintain" light brightly lit. I suppose this means that the battery is fully charged now.

Why did the unit get so hot??? I know I left the unit in the trunk, but I wouldn't think that is that much of a confined space that it could get that hot! Is this thing UL listed?

Old 07-08-2014, 06:31 PM
Veteran Member

Seems like the heat of the CTEK 3300 is pretty normal.

Should CTEK 3300 be getting hot? - Rennlist Discussion Forums

I find it hard to believe that it was designed to get so hot!

Old 07-08-2014, 07:02 PM
Received 59 Likes on 42 Posts

Do you think it got stuck on the charge mode instead of automatically switching to maintain mode, and when you unplugged it and then reconnected it did some sort of reset to the correct mode (maintain)?
Since it was so hot and you saw all of the lights were dim and no status lights were on, I'm not sure I would trust it. You could probably send it to CTEK, and have them check it if you want to make certain that it is functioning correctly.

Old 07-08-2014, 07:28 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by amcdonal86
I came home from work today and opened my trunk to find that the CTEK unit was extremely hot. I couldn't hold onto it for more than a few seconds--I am lucky it didn't cause a fire. I noticed that the lights were very dim on the unit and no status light appeared to be on (X, charge or maintain). I unplugged the unit from my extension cord and then plugged it back in and the lights lit up brightly, with the "maintain" light brightly lit. I suppose this means that the battery is fully charged now.

Why did the unit get so hot??? I know I left the unit in the trunk, but I wouldn't think that is that much of a confined space that it could get that hot! Is this thing UL listed?

The unit does get fairly warm when it is in the initial charging state. The only thing you mentioned that concerns me is the dim lights on the CTEK. That doesn't sound right. I would be somewhat concerned, and return it for another unit. Better off to be safe in this situation.

Old 07-08-2014, 08:01 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by v8cat
Do you think it got stuck on the charge mode instead of automatically switching to maintain mode, and when you unplugged it and then reconnected it did some sort of reset to the correct mode (maintain)?
Since it was so hot and you saw all of the lights were dim and no status lights were on, I'm not sure I would trust it. You could probably send it to CTEK, and have them check it if you want to make certain that it is functioning correctly.
It does not sound right to me either. I had it in the spare tire well. I have moved it to the main trunk area. I emailed CTEK about it.

I do think it did a reset. Maybe I'm delusional about the lights not turning on, because I was looking at it in full sunlight and it was hard to see. Car was stored outside and ambient temps were around 95 degrees.

Old 07-08-2014, 08:24 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,839 Likes on 1,233 Posts

It does not sound right to me either. I had it in the spare tire well. I have moved it to the main trunk area. I emailed CTEK about it.

I do think it did a reset. Maybe I'm delusional about the lights not turning on, because I was looking at it in full sunlight and it was hard to see. Car was stored outside and ambient temps were around 95 degrees.
You just added a few variables that may have answered your question. The car being out side , temps in the 95* range and the unit in the trunk all play into this. Just put a temp gauge in the trunk and see what the temps are in the sun. The Ctek is absorbing this as well as generating heat as it charges. I wouldn't leave it on the carpet . Go get a piece of ceramic tile and put the unit on it.

The following users liked this post:
Kevin77 (09-28-2014)
Old 07-08-2014, 10:42 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,233 Likes on 789 Posts

Originally Posted by jagtoes
You just added a few variables that may have answered your question. The car being out side , temps in the 95* range and the unit in the trunk all play into this. Just put a temp gauge in the trunk and see what the temps are in the sun. The Ctek is absorbing this as well as generating heat as it charges. I wouldn't leave it on the carpet . Go get a piece of ceramic tile and put the unit on it.
Alan:

As I mentioned in a post earlier on this thread, I would not suggest leaving the main CTEK module in the trunk. You need to see the lights on the CTEK Module. The forum member is correct about the heat in the trunk. The CTEK 3300 does get hot as mentioned above on the initial charging. You need to make sure the CTEK light on the bottom row is on the car Icon. It will stay red when charging and go green when your battery is fully charged. But you need to see what the module is doing. I seriously doubt the CTEK is the problem. It may 24 to 36 hours to fully charge the battery. Then the green light will be on. Since your car is a 2008, why not just hook the eyelets directly to the battery and use the CTEK Comfort Extension to lengthen the cord and keep the unit out of the trunk. If the unit is exposed were others can steal it I would have a concern, otherwise you need to see whats happening.

Kevin77 (09-28-2014)
Old 07-09-2014, 10:18 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by GGG
The difference could be the dealer didn't read the Jaguar Battery Charging Kit installation instructions.

The red and blue circles are my edit to highlight the connection locations.

Graham

Although I didn't use the exact ground from the diagram, I found a good ground right next to the battery on the right hand side. The male threaded post was there and I just found an exact bolt to tighten down the negative CTEK lead. Now I'm all compliant for the 2010 XK charger install.

Last edited by bocatrip; 07-09-2014 at 10:22 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by bocatrip:
BillyD (09-29-2014), Kevin77 (09-28-2014)
Old 07-09-2014, 10:42 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by richzak
Alan:

As I mentioned in a post earlier on this thread, I would not suggest leaving the main CTEK module in the trunk. You need to see the lights on the CTEK Module. The forum member is correct about the heat in the trunk. The CTEK 3300 does get hot as mentioned above on the initial charging. You need to make sure the CTEK light on the bottom row is on the car Icon. It will stay red when charging and go green when your battery is fully charged. But you need to see what the module is doing. I seriously doubt the CTEK is the problem. It may 24 to 36 hours to fully charge the battery. Then the green light will be on. Since your car is a 2008, why not just hook the eyelets directly to the battery and use the CTEK Comfort Extension to lengthen the cord and keep the unit out of the trunk. If the unit is exposed were others can steal it I would have a concern, otherwise you need to see whats happening.
I received a reply from CTEK saying that the unit is meant to operate at temps up to 165 degrees and that this is considered safe. I will copy in their response later--too hard to do on my phone!

Old 07-09-2014, 06:13 PM
Veteran Member

Message from CTEK below

Originally Posted by CTEK
]Good Morning Alan:

Since the CTEK chargers rely on convection for cooling they will generate heat during the Bulk charging. You will notice the charger cooling down pretty fast after the main power has been restored to the battery. The larger the battery or state of discharge it has experienced will obviously increase the time it takes to complete the bulk charging.
The chargers are internally temperature regulated and will shut down if internal temps reach 165F. More than likely, this would only get to this point if the battery is very weak or is failing.
The temperatures you are seeing is normal and safe.
Please let me know any further information or details you need on this.

Roger Parker
Logistics & Inside Sales
CTEK Power, Inc.

Kevin77 (09-28-2014)
Old 08-07-2014, 04:44 PM
Received 15 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Just installed CTEK 3300

Rich, just got done installing the CTEK 3300 in my 2013 XKR coupe, I ordered the CTEK comfort extension as you suggested. Thank You so much for your post on how to install, I was concerned about the install until I read your post, thanks again.:icon_dance-cpatch

richzak (08-07-2014)
Old 08-07-2014, 08:15 PM
Received 98 Likes on 59 Posts

I left my car in the sun and opened the trunk to get my charger and it was pretty hot even though it wasn't hooked up to anything! I was surprised how hot it was actually, so i wouldn't worry. Try to keep it outside the trunk if possible especially during the bulk charge. It will help cool the unit and have less risk of fire. Put it back in trunk (if you must) when it reaches the maintain mode.

Kevin77 (09-28-2014)
Old 09-28-2014, 03:27 PM
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

hdavidson, thank you very much for posting the great pics and installation notes! I am having the same CTEK indicator plug installed in my car (in the trunk ), and could not decide where to put it exactly. Your photos really helped so much. Thank you.

Can you close the trunk fully when the extension is plugged in? Without damage to the cord? I apologize if you answered this before (new guy). Many thanks again.

Old 09-28-2014, 03:36 PM

Richzak, just wanted to say thanks for all your post and info on the CTEK system. It was the motivation toward my own CTEK purchase. I am done with dead batteries... what will AAA do now?

richzak (09-29-2014)
Old 09-28-2014, 06:30 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Kevin77
hdavidson, thank you very much for posting the great pics and installation notes! I am having the same CTEK indicator plug installed in my car (in the trunk ), and could not decide where to put it exactly. Your photos really helped so much. Thank you.

Can you close the trunk fully when the extension is plugged in? Without damage to the cord? I apologize if you answered this before (new guy). Many thanks again.

Yes, the comfort chord is fairly thin and the trunk closes fine. Personally, I put a microfiber cloth on top of the trunk's rubber seal and then put the chord over it to give extra protection to the seal. I haven't seen any issues and I use the chord religiously.

Kevin77 (09-28-2014)
Old 09-28-2014, 07:11 PM

Originally Posted by bocatrip
Yes, the comfort chord is fairly thin and the trunk closes fine. Personally, I put a microfiber cloth on top of the trunk's rubber seal and then put the chord over it to give extra protection to the seal. I haven't seen any issues and I use the chord religiously.

Thank you Bocatrip! This was very helpful and a great idea about the cloth. I will add that to my own routine as well. Thanks again for the immediate response and checking out the older post for new comments and questions. Great Forum with Remarkable People!

Old 11-16-2014, 12:02 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I just hooked mine up the same way that Rich did, but then I noticed the manual for the ctek said not to do that.

I noticed the diagram from Jaguar a few posts above this and I'm going to try to find that alternate place. Do you have to remove the trim to the left of the battery to get to it? Does anyone have a pic of their installation not attaching the negative on the battery terminal?

Quick Reply: CTEK 3300 Battery Charger Installation