XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

CTEK Battery Charger 5.0 mxs

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2015, 01:17 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,235 Likes on 789 Posts

Originally Posted by Stuart S
Jonnyy,
Here's a photo of the quick connect pigtail lead that came with my CTEK MUS 4.3 maintainer that I recently installed in my XJ. (XK installation is similar). I leave the alligator clips permanently attached, with the red clip connected to the battery + terminal and the black clip connected to a ground on the body. Those clips grip very tightly and have not come loose.

Stuart
You should highly consider using the CTEK Eyelet terminals and simply attach them to the tiny posts on the battery terminals. The alligator clips can always come loose. The eyelets will never come loose. It's a 10mm nut, just cut open the eyelets and insert under the nut, around the post then tighten. Takes about 5-7 minutes to make the change if you have a steady hand.

Now, I know your a CTEK Fan....finally! These CTEK smartchargers are something else, aren't they?

The following users liked this post:
Jonnyy (01-23-2015)
Old 01-23-2015, 08:15 AM
Received 38 Likes on 32 Posts

Thanks so much for this Stuart S, I will try it at the weekend as mine is dying due to short winter driving. Do you recommend the CTEK 5.0? Is it good enough for the XJ battery? Is the trailing cable (or extension) rain proof?

Old 01-24-2015, 09:16 AM
Veteran Member
Received 6,391 Likes on 3,501 Posts

Apachegogo,

The CTEK 5.0 is a European model, not sold in the USA. I think it's comparable to my CTEK MUS 4.3, which is an 8-step model. Go to CTEK's website to compare the models sold in the UK and choose the one that best fits your needs.

Do not connect the black (negative) lead directly to the negative battery terminal, as doing so can adversely affect the battery monitoring system. Connect it to a ground (earth) on the vehicle. There's a thread about this on the Forum somewhere.

"Rain proof" is vague, and can range from a drizzle to a deluge. Regardless, I doubt that the cables are waterproof, particularly at the connecting points. You might be able to find rubber booties to provide some weather protection at those points in your local hardware store. I'm not sure if CTEK offers a waterproof model, so check their website.

Hope this helps.

Stuart

apachegogo (01-25-2015)
Old 01-24-2015, 10:57 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,288 Likes on 1,382 Posts

I can tell you from experience with CTEK chargers that the LEAST expensive unit (the one I use on all my cars is the US800) is perfectly adequate - meaning perfectly good) for desulphating and keeping at full charge any Jaguar battery so that there are never any electronic issues with the cars. The CTEK units are reliable and very, very sensitive to any drop in voltage. Just pressing the lock button on my XK sends the CTEK into action. The unit must be kept outside the car so that you can monitor how it is working - and for that the "comfort extension" is needed. when you want to drive the Jag you simply disconnect and off you go. The CTEK can be left in operation for months a a time. I have used them for years.

Attached Thumbnails CTEK Battery Charger 5.0 mxs-xk-british-racing-green-005-small-.jpg  
apachegogo (01-25-2015)
Old 01-25-2015, 04:15 AM

I got the cheaper CTEK and the extension cable. Thanks for the heads up on the cable, yeh I might need to get it covered up just to be safe.

I'm also considering getting an AGM battery as I hear these are better for cars that don't get driven as much. Is there any recommended AGM battery that will replace a Jaguar (Varta) RC 150 950amp 90Ah one?

Old 01-25-2015, 06:02 PM
Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Question -

I just bought the CTEK 4.3

Is the cigar lighter "always on" for the XK.

Can you use the "through the lighter" cigar plug to charge/maintain the battery.

I don't know how to check it.

Any time you are in the car it "knows" you are there and the lighter works.

The book says the ignition has to be on for it to work but I know that's not true.

Bill

Last edited by Bushwhacker; 01-25-2015 at 06:29 PM.
Old 01-25-2015, 08:03 PM
Veteran Member
Received 6,391 Likes on 3,501 Posts

Bill,

The cigarette lighter on my 2009 is switched, which means that the circuit is open (off) when the car is off. With an open circuit there is no unbroken path for the electricity to travel from the charger to the battery and, therefore, charging through the cigarette lighter won't work.

When you open the car door, your car senses your SmartKey and activities "convenience mode" that turns on some accessories including, I believe, the cigarette lighter before you start the engine.

Always lock your car, even when it's in your garage. Doing so puts your car in "sleep mode" sooner and minimizes battery drain. It also helps your CTEK more efficiently charge your battery. And always use your CTEK.

I trust this will help you better understand why your CTEK won't work through the cigarette lighter.

Stuart

Bushwhacker (01-25-2015)
Old 01-25-2015, 08:09 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,839 Likes on 1,233 Posts

I found that out when I plugged my radar detector into the glove box aux socket. One day I left it plugged in and locked the door. When I came back and opened the door the radar detector started up. After looking it up I found they work when you open the locked door.

Bushwhacker (01-25-2015)
Old 01-25-2015, 09:00 PM

Originally Posted by Stuart S
Bill,

When you open the car door, your car senses your SmartKey and activities "convenience mode" that turns on some accessories including, I believe, the cigarette lighter before you start the engine.
Thanks for the info.

Actually I have not been locking the car in the garage but I guess I will start now.

The car, however, does not need to sense your smart key to start convenience mode. I had left mine unlocked and purposefully left the key in the house so it could not sense it. As soon as I opened the door everything came on.

It of course would not start since the Smart Key was not within range.

Old 01-25-2015, 09:05 PM

I bought the cigar adapter anyway because I read on some post, either here or in an Amazon review, that if you have the CTEK plugged into the cigar lighter and you change tha battery it will not loose your presets.

Don't know how true this is, but for $10 it is worth the try.

Bill

Old 01-26-2015, 05:04 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Thank you for all the info. I checked again this morning with my Jag Dealer( not Pentland) and the Service Manager said connecting to Battery Terminals should not present a problem, but he would check with his Technicians. The answer was still no problem. However the point was made that Jump Starting should not be done through the battery terminals. Will continue as present until any probs arise. Incidentally I have had nothing but first class service from my Jag Dealer over the past 7 years.

Old 01-27-2015, 12:30 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks! I received the CTEK, hooked it up. The power lite is the only thing on . How long before any other light comes on? I was hoping a fault light would come on at least!
BYW I just bought the car bought but I don't know how old the battery is before it died in my garage. Assuming that's why the car won't start.
Probably going to buy the AGM version anyway as the car sits at the airport for a few day's.

Old 01-28-2015, 05:02 AM

Originally Posted by Jonnyy
Thanks! I received the CTEK, hooked it up. The power lite is the only thing on . How long before any other light comes on? I was hoping a fault light would come on at least!
BYW I just bought the car bought but I don't know how old the battery is before it died in my garage. Assuming that's why the car won't start.
Probably going to buy the AGM version anyway as the car sits at the airport for a few day's.
Did you select Car mode (with AGM light on as AGM option is recommended for any start stop batteries whether they are AGM or not). If its totally dead could take 12 hours or more to get to Step 1 or 2, though should hit bulk charge within a day, if not , its probably dead for good.

If you do get an AGM version, let me know which model/part no it is please Jonnyy

Jonnyy (01-29-2015)
Old 01-29-2015, 10:42 PM

Well I did two things, the quick connect negative wouldn't reach the ground in the trunk and apparently the "body" connection didn't work so I called the 800 number in Ohio. He suggested of the record I could clamp the neg clip to the neg terminal. I then selected CAR mode! Worked great, 24hrs till #7 showed. Now on desulfer mode.

Old 01-30-2015, 07:47 AM

Well I did two things, the quick connect negative wouldn't reach the ground in the trunk and apparently the "body" connection didn't work so I called the 800 number in Ohio. He suggested of the record I could clamp the neg clip to the neg terminal. I then selected CAR mode! Worked great, 24hrs till #7 showed. Now on desulfer mode.
Ah yes, the cable is not long enough, unless you get the comfort indicator adaptor, which comes with a slightly longer cable. Even then its a just fit and means you can leave the port hanging outside the internal boot cover.

Glad it worked for you.

Old 02-18-2015, 02:06 PM

Originally Posted by apachegogo
Did you select Car mode (with AGM light on as AGM option is recommended for any start stop batteries whether they are AGM or not). If its totally dead could take 12 hours or more to get to Step 1 or 2, though should hit bulk charge within a day, if not , its probably dead for good.

If you do get an AGM version, let me know which model/part no it is please Jonnyy
Bought the AGM battery from Interstate. Part number -MT5-49/H8, (MT5 AGM) A local Battery shop ordered it for me. The Interstate website-interstatebatteries.com- had it for $264 so that's the price I asked for and the local store agreed. Suggested retail is $293. Fit right in. Using the CTEK 5.0, all is good.

apachegogo (02-19-2015)
Old 02-19-2015, 07:06 AM

Bought the AGM battery from Interstate. Part number -MT5-49/H8, (MT5 AGM) A local Battery shop ordered it for me. The Interstate website-interstatebatteries.com- had it for $264 so that's the price I asked for and the local store agreed. Suggested retail is $293. Fit right in. Using the CTEK 5.0, all is good.
THanks! I will check it out

Old 02-19-2015, 07:19 AM

@Jonny just a question on it though, I googled it, its 900amp cold crack which is the same as the original lead one, but its 95Ah, whilst the original one is 90Ah. This is just capacity right, not output? Just checking so its not going to affect the electronics having too much surge power.

Old 02-20-2015, 05:01 AM

I was following this thread and just went with it!
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...cement-106281/

Old 02-21-2015, 04:47 AM

I was following this thread and just went with it!
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...cement-106281/
Ah ok, well I guess if your car is still working and the electronics aren't toasted its probably ok!