XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

DAB / DAB+ retrofit for X150

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2017, 09:28 AM
Received 4,454 Likes on 2,426 Posts
Default DAB / DAB+ retrofit for X150

DAB / DAB+ retrofit for X150-photo357.jpg

It's working!

DAB wasn't an option until the 2010MY X150's, but I've got it working in my 2009MY XKR.

Stoked!

The following 2 users liked this post by Cambo:
guy (04-18-2022), jahummer (07-24-2017)
Old 07-24-2017, 09:30 AM
Received 195 Likes on 123 Posts

Nice work

Old 07-24-2017, 12:15 PM
Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Cambo,
Woo hoo.

Now, tell the rest of us how you accomplished this feat!

wrair

Old 07-24-2017, 06:53 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,367 Likes on 1,482 Posts

Looks like you updated the bluetooth module as well.

Old 07-25-2017, 02:07 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi.
As the FM radio is closing in Norway, I am interested in how to to do this in my car.
Is it possible for you to post us a list?

Best Regards
Atle Granby

Old 07-25-2017, 03:50 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Cambo, don't leave us hanging dude.....

Old 07-25-2017, 07:24 AM

OK here's what I know...

First of all you must have the Alpine or Bowers & Wilkins audio, the head unit in the Base system (without sub) does not support DAB at all. If your car has a Base audio, then the only way to do this is a retrofit of the Premium System, with sub, and the Premium head unit.

If you have a 2010MY onward car, then DAB was an option from the factory, and standard JLR DAB or DAB+ module can be installed, there is some missing wiring (which I can sort you out with), you need an antenna and an antenna amplifier (spares available from Jag or aftermarket), and finally you need access to a proper working JLR SDD dealer diagnostic tool.

If you have a 2006.5MY to 2009MY car, this is where it get's a little murky. DAB was not an option in these cars, and although the head units from 2007MY onward are the same as the ones in the Land Rover Freelander2 / LR2 which can support DAB, could be that the earliest X150's will need a newer head unit fitted, not 100% sure on that.

The other piece of the puzzle is the touchscreen. It's clear now that the touchscreen hardware can support it (the touchscreen in my 2009MY XKR is the exact same hardware as earlier cars) the kicker is the software in the touchscreen.

Having checked the software version in the factory touchscreen in my 2009MY XKR, it is very strange, because it's a software version that is not held in the JLR SDD diagnostic system, my touchscreen actually has a newer software in it than what's available in the SDD. How this happened is unknown, and I am trying to find this out. I am trying to get hold of this newer software version, through various channels.

The DAB+ module I used is a regular JLR one from the 2013MY-onward XF, XJ, and various Land Rover vehicles. I have been making the antenna cables, power cables and MOST fiber optic extensions because they are no longer available to buy as spares from JLR.

Then once it was all hooked up, I enabled the Digital Audio Broadcasting with SDD. And to my surprise, it worked!

If you have a 2010MY onward, this is pretty straight forward, I can help you out with the missing cables, and other bit's if you need.

If you have a 2006.5MY to 2009MY, there's a few open points we need to figure out still...

The following 3 users liked this post by Cambo:
guy (09-08-2019), u102768 (07-25-2017), wrair (07-26-2017)
Old 07-26-2017, 01:53 AM

Cambo
This is great news ��
I got a 2013 NA Coupe and I got the SDD version 138. I all ready shecked that I am able to update the head unit, and I got the DAB box. I also got a MOST optic cable, but the connectors don't fit. And I believe that I got a DAB antenna originally installed in the upper right side in tailgate.
So I will need the Fakra cable from tailgate antenna, the antenna splitter/amplifier and the MOST plug/cable. And a simple wiring diagram.
Are you able to provide me with this?
And the part number on the DAB+ unit, as I only got the regulare one.

Thank you in advance

Atle Granby

Old 07-26-2017, 06:17 AM
Default wires, etc that are required

OK, thanks for the info, but...

MY 2010 XK. Please enlighten me on the missing wires/antennae/etc that you mentioned are missing from 2010+ without DAB from the factory!

Take care,
~Wrair

Old 07-26-2017, 08:43 AM

Originally Posted by AtleGranby
Cambo
This is great news ��
I got a 2013 NA Coupe and I got the SDD version 138. I all ready shecked that I am able to update the head unit, and I got the DAB box. I also got a MOST optic cable, but the connectors don't fit. And I believe that I got a DAB antenna originally installed in the upper right side in tailgate.
So I will need the Fakra cable from tailgate antenna, the antenna splitter/amplifier and the MOST plug/cable. And a simple wiring diagram.
Are you able to provide me with this?
And the part number on the DAB+ unit, as I only got the regulare one.

Thank you in advance

Atle Granby
I'm afraid SDD V138 won't do the activation for you, V146 or newer is needed unless you get a "special" unlocked version. And in any case I only recommend to use original/genuine diagnostic interfaces, no crappy clone Mongoose/Mangoose. I use a genuine VCM myself.

The Band-III DAB antenna is not in the tailgate, it's in the bumper, right hand side, where my finger is;

DAB / DAB+ retrofit for X150-antenna-location.jpg

DAB / DAB+ retrofit for X150-antenna1.jpg

DAB / DAB+ retrofit for X150-antenna2.jpg

This special antenna is Jag p/n C2P16999

In my 2009MY XKR the hole for mounting the antenna (to put a screw in) was already there, as was the hole in the boot floor for the cable to run through, and get sealed up by the rubber grommet on the cable of the antenna.

The DAB+ modules are the same as the ones in the XF, XJ, various Land Rovers. Here are all the parts (except the antenna, which you see in the previous pictures);

DAB / DAB+ retrofit for X150-img_5879.jpg

The antenna cable, power cable and MOST splitter I make myself, since they aren't available from JLR as spares, I've sent a few of these kits out to people over in Europe, seems that it's a hot topic in Norway since the FM is being shutdown...

The antenna amplifier I used is an aftermarket unit, but it works well, from Germany, but I have one spare here.

I did try to use the existing FM antenna in the rear spoiler to get the DAB signal, but it's no good. DAB antenna's must be in a vertical orientation, as it is in the bumper, but the FM antenna in the spoiler is horizontal, got great reception with the tailgate up/open, but signal disappeared with it closed. This one in the bumper is a bit funny, but it works well.

I've been for a test drive with it in the final arrangement like this, the reception is really good, better than I get in the XJR actually.

Originally Posted by wrair
OK, thanks for the info, but...

MY 2010 XK. Please enlighten me on the missing wires/antennae/etc that you mentioned are missing from 2010+ without DAB from the factory!

Take care,
~Wrair
If you're in the US (Maryland?) there is no DAB broadcast, so this won't be any use for you. Only Sirius and HD-Radio is available in the US, but these can also be retrofitted if your car is missing them...

The following 2 users liked this post by Cambo:
cmyrstad (12-10-2018), wrair (07-26-2017)
Old 07-26-2017, 11:13 AM

Thank you!!!
I got hold of a antenna on e-Bay right now, using your part number.
If you are willing to ship a set of cables and amplifier to me in Norway, please let me know your price. I can pay by PayPal.

DAB is madness in Norway right now :-) I have tried to get the upgrade done by Jaguar main dealer I Norway, but they are not able to help me.
And of course you are right, it is the v146 I got. And I also got the real Mongose and a LHR pc :-)

Best Regards
Atle Granby

Last edited by Cambo; 07-26-2017 at 06:48 PM. Reason: email address removed
Old 07-26-2017, 08:09 PM
Default yes, in the USA

Cambo,

"If you're in the US (Maryland?) there is no DAB broadcast, so this won't be any use for you. Only Sirius and HD-Radio is available in the US, but these can also be retrofitted if your car is missing them...[/QUOTE]

Yes, I'm in Maryland. Guess I'm ignorant - confusing DAB with HD.

Sirius shows up on the screen, but I don't have (or want) a subscription for it.

But HD does not show.

Could you point me in the direction of how to retrofit HD? Can't remember seeing any threads, nor did the search function pull anything. Darn it all!

Best,
~Wrair

Old 08-10-2017, 11:36 AM
Default DAN installed

Hi
I want to say thank you Cameron at Oldjags.

The following users liked this post:
Cambo (08-10-2017)
Old 02-21-2018, 05:11 PM
Received 134 Likes on 94 Posts

bump - just made the link bw oldjaguar.com and cambo

what's involved in doing this on the f-type?

Old 02-21-2018, 06:45 PM

Originally Posted by domino_z
bump - just made the link bw oldjaguar.com and cambo

what's involved in doing this on the f-type?
Depends on which audio system is in the car, I'm sure we discussed this before but I can't remember which system you have or if you gave me the VIN before...

IAM2.1 system relatively easy to fit DAB, done lots of them.

NLI system, not economically viable for a factory system, there are aftermarket DAB units though

NGI system relatively easy to get DAB working, on paper at least, haven't done one yet

There were some changes to the entertainment systems around 2016MY in the F-Type, I mentioned it here https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/f...9/#post1779277

Old 08-03-2018, 03:56 AM

Another bump for this most informative of threads!

My 2010 X250 is already equipped with the B&W system with DAB, but in a recent trans-Europe trip the DAB reception fell silent because (unbeknownst to meat the time) the receiver in my car is the type that does not support DAB+ - a confusing situation considering there are country settings in the options for the DAB receiver. I've jumped on the learning curve and realised I can swap out my 6H52-19C032 DAB module for a later CPLA14F720 type and I am in the process of sourcing one.

What I am aware of is that the DAB+ module requires a different (green as opposed to black) power connector so I am wondering where I can source the plug and information on the pinouts for the old and new modules to either make up a patch or replace the connector on the loom in my car. Ideally if the pins in the connectors are the same I would like to just swap-out the carrier.

Any pointers would be more than welcome!

Old 08-03-2018, 06:10 AM

As it turns out there is a different module for DAB+ in the X150 and pre-facelift X250, the p/n of that one is DW83-14F720-CA, it also needs the adaptor cable if you're upgrading from an existing DAB module.

The CPLA version module is only meant for the later cars with IAM2.1 infotainment, and while it does work in the older system in the X150 & pre-facelift X250, I've come across some issues, with some modules, in some particular cars, where the channel list disappears after an ignition cycle. The software in the DW83 version is particular for these cars and that problem doesn't happen.

It is possible to fit a CPLA module to a car that needs the DW83 version, and then flash it with SDD to correct version.

I have several of the DW83 version here on the shelf, they aren't easy to find 2nd hand...

You can order the DW83-14F720-CA as a new part, p/n C2P25499, the power adaptor cable is C2D22599.

Last edited by Cambo; 08-03-2018 at 06:13 AM.
The following users liked this post:
r11co (08-04-2018)
Old 08-03-2018, 08:22 AM

Cambo,
You wrote:If you're in the US (Maryland?) there is no DAB broadcast, so this won't be any use for you. Only Sirius and HD-Radio is available in the US, but these can also be retrofitted if your car is missing them...[/QUOTE]I have the Sirius option (but don't subscribe) and don't want; I don't see the HD option, which I do want.

There isn't much info that comes up for me when searching for HD (that I could find). Would you be able to point me in the direction for guidance on retrofitting HD to my US (yes, Maryland) 2010 XK?

Best,
wrair

Old 08-03-2018, 11:10 AM

Originally Posted by Cambo
As it turns out there is a different module for DAB+ in the X150 and pre-facelift X250, the p/n of that one is DW83-14F720-CA, it also needs the adaptor cable if you're upgrading from an existing DAB module.

The CPLA version module is only meant for the later cars with IAM2.1 infotainment, and while it does work in the older system in the X150 & pre-facelift X250, I've come across some issues, with some modules, in some particular cars, where the channel list disappears after an ignition cycle. The software in the DW83 version is particular for these cars and that problem doesn't happen.

It is possible to fit a CPLA module to a car that needs the DW83 version, and then flash it with SDD to correct version.
Thanks for the detailed info. It looks like I might have jumped the gun a little and gone ahead and paid for a used CPLA-14F720-BM locally before reading the above. I have 14 days to return it though! Flashing it probably isn't going to be an option unless you know of anyone in the west of Scotland with the tools and skills?! How often have you encountered the 'some issues with some modules on some cars' problem?

I have several of the DW83 version here on the shelf, they aren't easy to find 2nd hand...
Perhaps we can come to an arrangement :-)

the power adaptor cable is C2D22599.
Is that the same part as the Land Rover adapter LR032814? The reason I ask is that I can source it for less.

Thanks once again for the help!

Old 08-13-2018, 08:03 PM

Originally Posted by r11co
Thanks for the detailed info. It looks like I might have jumped the gun a little and gone ahead and paid for a used CPLA-14F720-BM locally before reading the above. I have 14 days to return it though! Flashing it probably isn't going to be an option unless you know of anyone in the west of Scotland with the tools and skills?! How often have you encountered the 'some issues with some modules on some cars' problem?
With a 2010-onward XK a JLR dealer will be able to flash the CPLA module to DW83 software, fit the CPLA and run the "configure existing module" routine for the DAB module.

Perhaps we can come to an arrangement :-)
Shipping modules back & forth from Scotland to Australia is going to be a lot of $$$'s

Is that the same part as the Land Rover adapter LR032814? The reason I ask is that I can source it for less.
Yep