XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

That dang front clunk noise....

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2024, 05:18 AM
Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts
Default That dang front clunk noise....

Howdy all!
I am going to get a video of this at some point... I know I should have taken one already. Replaced the strut assembly on the front left side. Replaced both sway bar bushings today. Sound seems to be coming from that area. I have been going off of advice and tips, I know that nobody is going to have an answer - but if you had a clunk/clank going into uneven dips and/or holes or just bad road, where would you be checking first? What would you be replacing if said installments made no change? As always, thank you all so much. Appreciate it tons!! 10 More miles until my XK is at 100k!

Old 05-12-2024, 10:07 AM
Received 73 Likes on 35 Posts

If I were you (knowing what I've learned in the last few months) I'd check every single ball joint everywhere (front and back). The ball joint boots on these seem to deteriorate quicker than I've experienced on other vehicles.

I had a bad clunking in the front and it was the ball joint on the front upper control arms. Both sides were trashed, metal on metal over bumps.

Front upper control arm ball joint

I'm in the midst of replacing brake pads/rotors all around and discovered that every single ball joint on the back suspension are deteriorated (car only has 60k miles). Disappointing.

Good luck finding your issue!

The following users liked this post:
SNAPCHAT (05-14-2024)
Old 05-12-2024, 10:09 AM
Received 73 Likes on 35 Posts

I should have mentioned since you already said you did the strut assemblies that I'm assuming you would have noticed if the ball joint was deteriorated. Guessing it's something else in your case. No insults intended. 😀

Just providing some general observations for my own experiences.

The following 2 users liked this post by bgpenguin21:
Lothar52 (05-12-2024), SNAPCHAT (05-14-2024)
Old 05-12-2024, 01:55 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,367 Likes on 1,482 Posts

Originally Posted by SNAPCHAT
Howdy all!
I am going to get a video of this at some point... I know I should have taken one already. Replaced the strut assembly on the front left side. Replaced both sway bar bushings today. Sound seems to be coming from that area. I have been going off of advice and tips, I know that nobody is going to have an answer - but if you had a clunk/clank going into uneven dips and/or holes or just bad road, where would you be checking first? What would you be replacing if said installments made no change? As always, thank you all so much. Appreciate it tons!! 10 More miles until my XK is at 100k!
When you replaced the shocks, did you replace the isolators as well?

SNAPCHAT (05-14-2024)
Old 05-13-2024, 11:24 AM
Received 45 Likes on 36 Posts

The noise may be from the steering. Check outer tie rod ends, by raising the wheel off the ground and with your hands at 9 and 3 o'clock, push and pull the tire for a degree of looseness. The inner tie rod, wears out less often.
Top ball joints tend to last longer than the bottom. They work less.
You changed the sway bar bushings which tend to wear out after or later than the "sway bar links"

Last edited by sony2000; 05-13-2024 at 01:45 PM.
SNAPCHAT (05-19-2024)
Old 05-13-2024, 12:08 PM
Received 188 Likes on 108 Posts

Upper strut mounts, upper control arms, sway bar links, sway bar bushings, lower ball joint

in that order

SNAPCHAT (05-19-2024)
Old 05-14-2024, 04:17 AM
guy
Veteran Member
Received 1,103 Likes on 776 Posts

Vibrations through the car, travel through the car.
Have you put the same effort in inspecting the rear? Those sway bar bushings when worn will also leave you with an unexpected clunk.

The following 2 users liked this post by guy:
jahummer (05-14-2024), SNAPCHAT (05-19-2024)
Old 05-14-2024, 04:53 AM

Originally Posted by bgpenguin21
I should have mentioned since you already said you did the strut assemblies that I'm assuming you would have noticed if the ball joint was deteriorated. Guessing it's something else in your case. No insults intended. 😀

Just providing some general observations for my own experiences.
Didn't even think to check. Pretty wet behind the ear still. Getting there. Thank you!!!!!

Originally Posted by jahummer
When you replaced the shocks, did you replace the isolators as well?
No, I did not. I just installed a whole shock assembly, didn't have to take any springs off or apart or anything. This is another spot I will be checking though, thank you.

Originally Posted by sony2000
The noise may be from the steering. Check outer tie rod ends, by raising the wheel off the ground and with your hands at 9 and 3 o'clock, push and pull the tire for a degree of looseness. The inner tie rod, wears out less often.
Top ball joints tend to last longer than the bottom. They work less.
You changed the sway bar bushings which tend to wear out after or later than the "sway bar links"
I do feel something loose in my steering wheel. Not super loose, honestly maybe unnoticeable to a newer driver, but also whilst going over uneven pavement or bumps, it'll jiggle the steering wheel a bit. Thank you for this!!! Hell yeah

Originally Posted by trkyam
Upper strut mounts, upper control arms, sway bar links, sway bar bushings, lower ball joint

in that order
Thank you!!! More places added to my list, thank you.

Originally Posted by guy
Vibrations through the car, travel through the car.
Have you put the same effort in inspecting the rear? Those sway bar bushings when worn will also leave you with an unexpected clunk.
I would be looking into the rear a bit more if I wasn't so certain the sound is coming from the front. That's pretty much my arrow at the moment. Thank you!!!

The following 3 users liked this post by SNAPCHAT:
bgpenguin21 (05-14-2024), guy (05-14-2024), jahummer (05-14-2024)
Old 05-19-2024, 08:41 PM

Originally Posted by bgpenguin21
If I were you (knowing what I've learned in the last few months) I'd check every single ball joint everywhere (front and back). The ball joint boots on these seem to deteriorate quicker than I've experienced on other vehicles.

I had a bad clunking in the front and it was the ball joint on the front upper control arms. Both sides were trashed, metal on metal over bumps.

Front upper control arm ball joint

I'm in the midst of replacing brake pads/rotors all around and discovered that every single ball joint on the back suspension are deteriorated (car only has 60k miles). Disappointing.

Good luck finding your issue!
Yup! Replaced the end link and the left side upper control arm (it was very bad, 0 bushing left) and my CLUNK is GONE!! Thank you everyone that helped me on here!

Old 05-19-2024, 10:08 PM
Received 188 Likes on 108 Posts

is there a good way to test if this is the problem?

Old 05-19-2024, 10:50 PM

There was no tilt or sway or clunking noise that i could replicate with my own human power, but if your bushings (the rubber gasket, in the ball joint area of the end link/upper control arm) are torn/ripped up, then a good chance is that particles and grime built up in the ball joint itself and it's probably better sooner than later to change it before symptoms such as mine start appearing.

Old 05-20-2024, 07:04 AM
Received 45 Likes on 36 Posts

Hi SNAPCHAT. I am wondering where you got the whole strut assembly from? Bilstein?
Secondly, can we change just the ball joint on the upper control arm? And from where?

SNAPCHAT (05-23-2024)
Old 05-22-2024, 11:24 PM

Originally Posted by sony2000
Hi SNAPCHAT. I am wondering where you got the whole strut assembly from? Bilstein?
Secondly, can we change just the ball joint on the upper control arm? And from where?
I got the strut/shock from a seller on ebay, $275 in all. Didn't fix my issue, but I learned along the way. And as for the ball joint, I would just replace the entire upper control arm rather than attempt at the ball joint itself. I would imagine maybe you could, but also maybe not. I know that's not a perfect answer, but the upper control arm is like $35 all over the internet!