XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

dangers of purchasing on ebay and other places

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2013, 01:18 AM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default dangers of purchasing on ebay and other places

Is anyone concerned about buying a car with flood damage, especially if buying on ebay? I recently watched a tv show, I think it was The Lookout, that showed a large airport set up as a parking lot, absolutely full of flood cars after the Sandy hurricane. Then showed a picture later and all the cars were gone. Some crushed, but some being sold to rebuilders, and some getting sold without the title being branded as Salvage. Even USAA insurance had illegally allowed totaled cars to be sold without having the title branded as Salvage.

Another tv show, I do not remember which one, showed a guy who had his car taken by police after he had it for two years. Turned out he unknowingly bought a stolen car that had a fake vin plate put on top of the original. You could not see it was fake on tv. The news crew could not tell the difference.

I am getting a little nervous about buying a used Jaguar XK (or any used car.)

The following 2 users liked this post by looking:
EZDriver (08-09-2013), jagxk2008 (08-05-2013)
Old 08-05-2013, 03:34 AM
Veteran Member
Received 85 Likes on 83 Posts

Just ask to see the maintenance book and called the last jag dealership who serviced the car to see if all is well clear, it's the only way to go now with the mileage that could be changed so easily.

Let say if the car had her last service at 45 k miles in March 2013 and is now 48k miles, there is chances it is true. But if it has her last service in january 2012, at 45k miles the guy could have driven it one year and half, runs 50 k more miles...than it is shown.

Old 08-05-2013, 06:02 AM
Veteran Member
Received 261 Likes on 183 Posts

I've purchased several cars on ebay. 1 from an individual (1996 XJS), and the rest were from dealers.

The purchase from the individual was not pleasant. I've never had an issue with a dealer. I try research the car as much as possible. There are (of course) people out there that will take advantage of you...you just have to do your due dilligence.

If you are buying from a dealer and the car has a remaining factory warranty, you can get anything that is not working repaired.

As long as you research the car properly you should be ok.

Old 08-05-2013, 06:30 AM
Received 33 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by looking
Is anyone concerned about buying a car with flood damage, especially if buying on ebay? I recently watched a tv show, I think it was The Lookout, that showed a large airport set up as a parking lot, absolutely full of flood cars after the Sandy hurricane. Then showed a picture later and all the cars were gone. Some crushed, but some being sold to rebuilders, and some getting sold without the title being branded as Salvage. Even USAA insurance had illegally allowed totaled cars to be sold without having the title branded as Salvage.

Another tv show, I do not remember which one, showed a guy who had his car taken by police after he had it for two years. Turned out he unknowingly bought a stolen car that had a fake vin plate put on top of the original. You could not see it was fake on tv. The news crew could not tell the difference.

I am getting a little nervous about buying a used Jaguar XK (or any used car.)
Sorry, but I disagree.
I have purchased MANY cars on eBay and never had any problems...
Don't see what eBay has to do with flooded cars.
Its common sense to due your due diligence, no matter
where you buy a car.
I have had many more problems buying from dealers, they seem to be much more
dis-honest, and are experts about hiding problems with a car.
The program I saw on TV showed most of those cars were sold by dealers in Kentucky and Tennessee.

Last edited by Donzi; 08-05-2013 at 08:35 AM.
Old 08-05-2013, 12:45 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,233 Likes on 789 Posts

Flooded cars from salt water can be a real problem. I am spending time in Hawaii and have spoken with many car owners. Just the salt from the air creates many problems with corrision. Just think what all the cars sitting at the airport in NJ went thru being immersed in the salt water. The ABC network TV show "Looking Out" did a good job in coverage of the flooded cars from Hurricane Sandy.

As for buying a car via eBay, I have never had any problems. eBay is a major source of contacting so many people world wide, for selling cars. Do your research. I have sold and bought a few cars myself on eBay and never had any problems. But there are always the sellers that want to take someone for a real ride. You have to try to weed those sellers out if possible.

Also found that buyers should not hesitate to buy a vehicle that may have to be shipped. Car transport is so easy now a days. Especially with the central dispath system for trucking.

All of my experiences from buying and selling, even race cars, have been a good, informative, and pleasurable experience. No reported problems.

Ebay, autotrader are great sources to see what's out there for sale, and pricing. I look at the sites daily when I can.

Old 08-05-2013, 01:50 PM

Many years ago I saw a car advertised on ebay, along with pictures. I recognized them from the Ken Rockwell's website Mercedes SL500 His car was not for sale, the scammer had just copied and pasted the photos.

His site is a great history on Mercedes SL's and the model changes.

Old 08-06-2013, 07:18 PM
Received 109 Likes on 87 Posts

I bought my 2007 XK Coupe over the internet from Jaguar of Nashville a couple of years ago (sight unseen other that Dealer pictures!).
No surprises exactly as advertised.................very happy and delivered by very nice guy (free shipg too).................

I also trust my local Jag Dealer (jaguar of Tacoma); who is helping our Seattle Jag Club financially (again) with our Annual Concourse this weekend at LeMay's Museum.

See you there?

TTFN, Adrian

Old 08-07-2013, 09:42 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,202 Likes on 933 Posts

Originally Posted by britannia
I bought my 2007 XK Coupe over the internet from Jaguar of Nashville a couple of years ago (sight unseen other that Dealer pictures!).
No surprises exactly as advertised.................very happy and delivered by very nice guy (free shipg too).................
Same here for my XK, from Jag dealer in Asheville, NC. Would do it again without hesitation. Actually bought my VDP and Range Rover the same method and each time no surprise.

Old 08-07-2013, 09:57 AM
Received 2,263 Likes on 1,845 Posts

Buying a used merchandise sight unseen has always had it's risks. Nothing new.

Old 08-07-2013, 10:06 AM
Veteran Member
Received 694 Likes on 490 Posts
Default do your homework

if you are going to purchase a car sight unseen as I did. I recommend using a third party inspection service. I used "inspect my ride" available threw ebay.The were very through and I eliminated 3 cars based on their reports. About $200 a pop but well worth the cost. They send about 30 pictures of each car with a detailed list of issues. Finally settled on one from the Jaguar Dealer in Annapolis MD and it's been great!

The following users liked this post:
looking (08-07-2013)
Old 08-07-2013, 10:15 AM
DGL
Veteran Member
Received 931 Likes on 609 Posts

Title washing, dishonest sales people, hidden problems, etc are everywhere. These dishonest people selling these cars on the internet use the same websites as the honest respectable sellers. Even the legitimate professional car sellers employ hard sell tactics to suck you in. DO YOUR RESEARCH. Check the VIN, do a carfax, do a flood search, use salvagedb.com etc. The older the car the higher the risk. Caveat emptor (buyer beware).

Once you give your hard earned money to a sales person you wouldn't get it back without a long legal fight. Protect yourself and don't go for the hard sell tactics and don't be afraid to walk away. Sales people will do and say anything to make a sale with out any compassion or concern for your well being.

The following users liked this post:
looking (08-07-2013)
Old 08-07-2013, 11:01 AM
Default flood search

Originally Posted by DGL
Title washing, dishonest sales people, hidden problems, etc are everywhere. These dishonest people selling these cars on the internet use the same websites as the honest respectable sellers. Even the legitimate professional car sellers employ hard sell tactics to suck you in. DO YOUR RESEARCH. Check the VIN, do a carfax, do a flood search, use salvagedb.com etc. The older the car the higher the risk. Caveat emptor (buyer beware).

Once you give your hard earned money to a sales person you wouldn't get it back without a long legal fight. Protect yourself and don't go for the hard sell tactics and don't be afraid to walk away. Sales people will do and say anything to make a sale with out any compassion or concern for your well being.
Suggestions for the best places to do a search to see if a car had water damage? thanks

Old 08-07-2013, 05:12 PM
Received 190 Likes on 88 Posts
Default eBay Is Very Safe

I feel buying a Jag on eBay is very safe. First, I bought my Jaguar from an authorized Jaguar dealer. Second, I made sure the Jag I bought was still under factory warranty. Third, I rely on 'Seller's Information'. The number in ( ) is the number of items the Seller has sold on eBay and the number followed by a % is the percentage of Buyers that rated their sales transaction with that Seller as 'Positive'. So, if the Seller has sold hundreds of items on eBay and has a 99%-100% 'Positive' rating, I think it's safe to assume that you're not dealing with a crook, scam artist or an unethical Seller. I've bought everything from cameras to golf clubs to toys to a beautiful Jag off of eBay without ANY problems.

Old 08-07-2013, 07:14 PM
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

I too purchased mine on eBay and had a great experience. To everything already said (with emphasis on due diligence on the VIN, seller, and contacting the dealer who sold it) I'll add that the protections provided under eBay's vehicle protection program and Autocheck or Carfax services add to the assurance.

Last edited by bart_redline99; 08-07-2013 at 10:52 PM.
Old 08-12-2013, 04:41 AM
Received 46 Likes on 31 Posts

I bought my XK from a dealer and it did not show any wrecks or damage. But the car had been in a wreck. Some states are not required to turn it into Carfax. I still like my car and corrected it's overspray. Other than the lie, I had a great experience. Now the Range Rover from an individual was a different story. All I can say is when he dies, karma will be a nice sharp pitch fork in his butt for eternity.

Old 08-12-2013, 10:42 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,202 Likes on 933 Posts

If you are buying a car sight unseen, a PPI is a good idea. Even if it is just looking up reputable auto body shops in the dealer's ZIP Code and paying them to look at it.