XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Dash Camera anti vandalism

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2016, 04:23 PM
Veteran Member
Received 546 Likes on 348 Posts

Originally Posted by pk4144
Here's why I'm getting one: was found "60% at fault" in an accident where I wasn't. My insurance (on a friggin XKR convertible) essentially doubled, and will stay that way for 3-4 years. Gonna cost me thousands in premiums. Dashcam would have made all the difference. Even the insurance people suggested I go back to the scene and ask restaurants on the corner (I was T-boned at an intersection) for their video, if they had any.

Yeah, good point - I think I'll invest in one.

Old 09-09-2016, 08:31 PM
Veteran Member
Received 633 Likes on 410 Posts

Originally Posted by McJag222
Yeah, good point - I think I'll invest in one.
Yeah, he makes a good point. What if you show the video and after review they decide he was 80% at fault. Just saying sometimes these things don't work out like you think they do.....

Old 09-21-2016, 03:34 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,839 Likes on 1,233 Posts

Originally Posted by richzak
Moses:

Here's the link. Incredible deal and incredible price.

Car DVR Novatek 2 7'' Camera 1080p Video Registrator Dash Cam G Sensor GS8000L | eBay

Suction cup mounted just below the mirror. They sh Cam turns on and off with the Jaguar ignition.
Well I just got mine in the mail yesterday. I charged it last night and now need to figure out how to work it. I can't believe how tiny the directions are. Hard to even read with a magnifier .Also the instructions are not that clear and they don't tell you what each symbol is for. It froze up already and the mic sound is just a buzz and hum sound. I don't know if I have a problem unit but before I respond to the seller I'll toy with it a few more days.

Old 09-21-2016, 04:55 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,233 Likes on 789 Posts

Originally Posted by jagtoes
Well I just got mine in the mail yesterday. I charged it last night and now need to figure out how to work it. I can't believe how tiny the directions are. Hard to even read with a magnifier .Also the instructions are not that clear and they don't tell you what each symbol is for. It froze up already and the mic sound is just a buzz and hum sound. I don't know if I have a problem unit but before I respond to the seller I'll toy with it a few more days.
Make sure the information on the camera is in English and it will be easy to understand the settings. Otherwise, it is a mess to understand. There are several languages embedded into the camera software. I own 4 of these and never had a problem after figuring out the first one.

Old 09-21-2016, 07:50 PM
Received 106 Likes on 81 Posts

Have any of you stealthaly run the wires so that they are not readily visible. This is more for the people on the inside of the cabin as opposed to those on the outside. thanks.

Old 09-21-2016, 08:39 PM
Veteran Member
Received 5,360 Likes on 3,174 Posts

Any dash or concealed camera wouldn't be an "Anti-Vandalism" camera. It would however be a "You have your face on camera" camera. That wouldn't stop vandals, and probably wouldn't catch them afterwards either.
Now, if you had very OBVIOUS cameras and probably signs on the windows stating "You are being monitored" you could probably avoid at least some vandalism.
I do like the idea of having at least a DashCam to document anything which may occur while I drive, but while parked and unattended I don't think it'd be much help. Maybe for insurance claims.

Old 09-21-2016, 11:02 PM
Veteran Member
Received 6,285 Likes on 3,449 Posts

This unit - Car DVR Novatek 2 7'' Camera 1080p Video Registrator Dash Cam G Sensor GS8000L | eBay
- costs $29.80 delivered on eBay. The identical item costs $11.98 delivered on Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/Car-DVR-Vehic...sh+Cam+GS8000L Note all the negative reviews on Amazon.

This unit is not for me. I'd rather spend more and get a better mousetrap. Recommendations?

Old 09-21-2016, 11:28 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Stuart S
This unit - Car DVR Novatek 2 7'' Camera 1080p Video Registrator Dash Cam G Sensor GS8000L | eBay
- costs $29.80 delivered on eBay. The identical item costs $11.98 delivered on Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/Car-DVR-Vehic...sh+Cam+GS8000L Note all the negative reviews on Amazon.

This unit is not for me. I'd rather spend more and get a better mousetrap. Recommendations?
Stuart S.

The price of these cameras have come down considerly from around $79.99 several years ago. I have 4 of these cameras, all them function perfectly.

They have gotten so low priced they have become throw away items if they go bad at about $30.00 each. Technology has advanced.

See post #2 in this thread Stuart for the fine quality and audio these low priced cameras deliver.

If I had your net worth, I could afford something better. For now, back to the street corner selling pens for $.50 each. 100 pens = a quick $50.00. I put on my blue jeans that have been toren, and painted dripped all over them, so most people feel very sorry for me, and just hand me dollar bills. I like that.

No recommendations, but plenty of good dash cams on the market.

FYI:

This is the dash cam I am using. Good reviews. Most of the reviews are 4 & 5 star rated reviews.

https://www.amazon.com/Black-Box-GS8...6XE1Q32N2S3FDG

Last edited by richzak; 09-21-2016 at 11:33 PM.
Old 09-22-2016, 06:20 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,209 Likes on 915 Posts

Do you drive to the street corner in your XKR Portfolio?

Old 09-22-2016, 07:26 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by ralphwg
Do you drive to the street corner in your XKR Portfolio?
I usually ride my bike that I rode when I was kid back in 1961 at age 9.

It is the Schwinn Spitfire 26"....sold for about $46.00 then, now worth about $600 to $700.

Old 09-22-2016, 08:14 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,181 Likes on 1,621 Posts

Originally Posted by Leeper
.... and not cheap Chinese made.
... the Blackvue is the closest for @$300
Guess Korea is fine then.

blackvue.com page:

7F, BYC HIGHCITY Building A,
131, Gasan Digital1-ro,
Geumcheon-gu, Seoul, Korea, 08506

Have you been able to source an American manufactured
IPhone 7 yet?

No? Try HARDER!
You're just not looking hard enough!

++

Old 09-23-2016, 12:02 AM
Banned
Received 238 Likes on 180 Posts

Korean is fine, Japanese manufacturing would be my most desirable, USA too if it's from a reputable company. Xiaomi would be fine too as I know for the most part their stuff is good but no interest in "fly by night" Chinese production since you asked. You seem rather excited and pleased in expressing Blackvue is manufactured in Korea. The reviews on the Blackvue are excellent contrary to high percentage of lesser known Chinese stuff.

Sourcing an American iPhone? Obviously both rhetoric (I know the stories of the Chinese facilities assembling them) as well as irrelevant since I own nothing Apple, haven't in the past, won't in the future, and don't own their stock

My concern with quality is directed more towards reliability, customer support, and features, none of which come from the majority of the Chinese companies producing the majority of dash cams out there. I'd love to see Samsung, LG, Sony, or another well-known company make a good product at a fair price but sadly right now that's not the case right now it's certainly a secondary concept for the companies making them now.

Old 09-23-2016, 07:29 AM
Veteran Member

So what company is building GoPro

Old 09-23-2016, 08:44 AM
Veteran Member

GoPro is made in an Asian country. They are highly over rated cameras.

Just take a look at the price action of the GoPro common stock.

If you want a high-quality video camera, check out Replay XD

I have a couple of these, which I don't use in my car. Used them for racing.

And now when I travel.

Replay XD Store

Did you get your low priced camera to work?

Old 09-23-2016, 08:53 AM
Veteran Member

Nick Woodman is the CEO and his Woodman Labs produces the GoPro. He imports many parts from Hong Kong.

He raced the Stohr F1000 with us in the F1000 class of formula Race cars.

Woodman Labs Hong Kong Limited: U.S. Customs data

I raced these cars for 10 years. Great racing, great cars.

Old 09-23-2016, 03:51 PM
Veteran Member

GoPro is made in an Asian country. They are highly over rated cameras.

Just take a look at the price action of the GoPro common stock.

If you want a high-quality video camera, check out Replay XD

I have a couple of these, which I don't use in my car. Used them for racing.

And now when I travel.

Replay XD Store

Did you get your low priced camera to work?
Rich I just wanted to give you and update. The dash cam came the other day an apparently I got a junk one. It turns on once in a while , the battery is fully charged yet you need to plug it in for it to work. Also it makes a humming and clicking noise when it is running. The mic does not record anything and the screen locks up . I sent a note to the ebay seller but my bet is I won't get a response and will trash the $30 I paid for this thing. Just wanted to let the folks on the board know about my experience.

Old 09-23-2016, 05:25 PM
Veteran Member

jagtoes,

Sorry to learn about your negative experience with your Novatek GS8000L, but I'm not surprised. You should contact the eBay seller and request a refund, which sets the stage for you to file a claim with eBay if that seller won't agree. Go to eBay's Resolution Center (the link is at the bottom of the eBay home page) for details.

Even though you bought yours on eBay, you might want to join the crowd on Amazon and write a review.

Stuart

On second thought, if you request a refund, Richzak would have to return his commission! (I couldn't resist taking a cheap shot)

Old 09-23-2016, 05:36 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Stuart S
jagtoes,

Sorry to learn about your negative experience with your Novatek GS8000L, but I'm not surprised. You should contact the eBay seller and request a refund, which sets the stage for you to file a claim with eBay if that seller won't agree. Go to eBay's Resolution Center (the link is at the bottom of the eBay home page) for details.

Even though you bought yours on eBay, you might want to join the crowd on Amazon and write a review.

Stuart

On second thought, if you request a refund, Richzak would have to return his commission! (I couldn't resist taking a cheap shot)
I started with the seller and already sent them a email requesting either a replacement or refund. The next step will be with ebay. Thanks

Old 09-23-2016, 07:05 PM
Veteran Member

I started with the seller and already sent them a email requesting either a replacement or refund. The next step will be with ebay. Thanks
Good Jagtoes, Ebay will back you up, and you will get a refund via the resolution center. So sorry this has happened to you as the units I own have worked flawlessly. Cheap yes, but they do work.

As for Stuart's comment, he knows I am poor, and can only afford cheap items Made in China. I shop at Harbor Freight for my tools as they are cheap and low priced and "yes" Made in China. My only hope in life is that Donald Trump will make America Great Again as he feels we are a broken country. I suspect by the end of 2017, Donald will persuade all the American companies who left the USA for a competitive reason and lower wage costs will come back. If anybody can do it, Donald can. There are so many gullible Americans who believe Donald, that I feel I am falling deep into the Trump hole, and I don't mean his ash-le.

Gary Johnson for POTUS!

Old 09-24-2016, 06:39 AM
Veteran Member

... As for Stuart's comment, he knows I am poor, and can only afford cheap items Made in China. I shop at Harbor Freight for my tools as they are cheap and low priced and "yes" Made in China. My only hope in life is that Donald Trump will make America Great Again as he feels we are a broken country. I suspect by the end of 2017, Donald will persuade all the American companies who left the USA for a competitive reason and lower wage costs will come back. If anybody can do it, Donald can. There are so many gullible Americans who believe Donald, that I feel I am falling deep into the Trump hole, and I don't mean his ash-le.

Gary Johnson for POTUS!

Yup, Richard is sooo poor that his XKR, Vette, Cayman and F150 are replicas made in China.

Gary Jonson for POTUS? Didn't you mean POT4US? Do you know why he got so high and excited when Bernie Sanders dropped out of the race? Because he always wanted to use Sanders' campaign slogan. So now, instead of "Feel the Bern!" you can "Feel the Johnson!"

The following users liked this post:
richzak (09-24-2016)

Quick Reply: Dash Camera anti vandalism