XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Dashboard maintenance

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2019, 05:56 PM
Received 53 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Dashboard maintenance

This might be a dumb question, but I want to make sure im putting the right product on. The dash is leather right? I don't have any cracking yet and I want to keep it that way. Should I keep it maintained with an auto leather spray once a week/month? Or is there a product you guys have had luck with?

Old 09-04-2019, 07:24 PM
Veteran Member
Received 6,285 Likes on 3,449 Posts

Base 4.2L X150 models came from the factory with vinyl dashboards unless the optional leather was ordered. Your Public Profile shows that you have a 2008 XKR, so your dashboard is leather.

Read this old thread in its entirety, and then decide on which product. Your car, your money, your choice.
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...esidue-205115/

Most modern automotive leather, including the hides used in your XKR, is coated with polyurethane. Unless that PU surface has been compromised from age and rough wear, thick viscosity conditioners can't penetrate it and merely sit on top of that coating. The leather conditioner supplied from the factory with my XKR has a thin viscosity like water. That's why I use the Griot's Garage leather care spray from Amazon - it's the closest thing I've found to the OEM Jaguar conditioner.

Below is a link to a lengthy article that, although it is an advertisement for their detailing products, includes a thorough explanation of the various types of automotive leather and their recommended care. Here's an excerpt:
"I will forewarn you, the topic of leather care is very confusing and, as such, is one of the most hotly contested areas of automotive detailing just go to any detailing forum and do a search on “leather”, then sit back and get confused."

Automotive Leather Upholstery ? DetailingSpot

Last edited by Stuart S; 09-04-2019 at 07:29 PM.
Old 09-04-2019, 08:07 PM
Received 233 Likes on 110 Posts

Stuart S,

Not all XKR's came with a leather dash, but most of them did. The easiest way to tell if the dash is leather or not is by looking at the seats. If the seats are perforated leather, the dash will be leather. If the seats are not perforated leather, then the door cards and dash will be synthetic.

Cheers,

Peter

Old 09-04-2019, 09:49 PM
Veteran Member

Peter,

That's not what you said a year ago. I've never seen an XKR without leather.

Stuart

Old 09-04-2019, 11:32 PM
Received 53 Likes on 22 Posts

I think ill try the griot's since you've already tested it out. I think its a good middle ground between the guy who is saying to only use a wet rag because the leather is sealed, and the doctor leather kit. Did you guys see it? It has 6 different bottles with multiple brushes. Crazy.

Old 09-05-2019, 12:37 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,490 Likes on 908 Posts

Originally Posted by Stuart S
Peter,

That's not what you said a year ago. I've never seen an XKR without leather.

Stuart
And if you scrolled a bit further down that thread you would have found where I corrected him

Old 09-05-2019, 08:26 AM
Veteran Member
Received 571 Likes on 386 Posts

I've been using 303 aerospace on the dash and seats (and everything else plastic and leather and rubber interior and exterior for that matter.....) . I just ordered the Griots 10994 above. I'll give it a try.

Old 09-05-2019, 08:39 AM
Received 233 Likes on 110 Posts

Stuart S,

I've continued my learning process. The early XKR's with the more aggressive seat bolstering and without perforated leather did indeed have synthetic leather on the door cards and dash. Sorry for my error a year ago. I stand by my statement for all 2007-2009 XKR's: if your seats have perforated leather, then your dash and door cards are leather.

Cheers,

Peter

Old 09-05-2019, 09:09 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by u102768
And if you scrolled a bit further down that thread you would have found where I corrected him
Thanks, and I stand corrected ... if you're right. The reasons for my doubt is because you're in New Zealand and I'm in the USA. Jaguar has different specs for different world markets, and X150 models built for North America, Europe, and Japan are different from each other. Many X150 models make it to NZ from Japan.

I am unaware of any XKR produced for the North American market with a vinyl interior. If a Forum member has or knows of one, speak up! And yes, the easy way to tell is if the seats are NOT perforated. Even if the dealer build sheets offered vinyl for the XKR, I doubt that anyone would have checked that box. It's inconsistent with the upscale XKR. But I guess it's possible, albeit unlikely.

Bottom line for this thread is that discussing vinyl is irrelevant. The OP wanted advice on maintaining leather. Nevertheless, it's an interesting point.

Cheers!

Old 09-05-2019, 11:07 AM
Received 141 Likes on 95 Posts

I would question putting anything at all on any leather in the car with the exception of maybe the seats. We already know the leather has a tendency to separate from the actual dash and adding a conditioner that penetrates the leather could easily cause the already weak glue to loosen even quicker. The unfortunate fact is that if it is covered in leather, it is probably going to fail very prematurely treated or not. A and C panels, leather head liners and dash panels will all fail.

Old 09-05-2019, 12:09 PM
Veteran Member

Mufc, my experience is the opposite.

Ever since I bought my 2009 XKR Portfolio convertible in 2010, I have treated all the leather at least twice a year. My interior is two-tone Ivory and Slate.

At first I used Lexol, but didn't like it and after reading reviews on Amazon I decided to try Griot's Leather Care Spray. I've been using it ever since and all the leather still looks great. When my driver's seat left side bolster started showing some wear, I touched it up with Dynamix Ivory color water-based leather dye (search this Forum for my thread) and it's as good as new.

To keep your leather like new, you have to take care of it. Always use a reflective sun shade in the windshield when parked outdoors. That'll keep the interior from becoming an oven and cause the dashboard adhesive to fail. IMHO, it's excessive heat, and not conditioner, that causes the adhesive to fail. Heres mine: (no, I don't use it in my garage; it's just for this photo).

Get in the driver's seat with your butt first, instead of sliding your butt across the side bolster. No blue jean's allowed because the dye can transfer to the leather and ruin it. (I'm a khakis guy, so no problem.) If you don't have a garage, get a good quality breathable outdoor cover. And keep all the leather clean, because it's the dirt and abrasion that ruin it. All you need for a quick clean is a damp microfiber towel. Water is OK, but a little Griot's on that towel is better. A little regular TLC minimizes problems.

Last edited by Stuart S; 09-05-2019 at 12:24 PM. Reason: Added photos.
Old 09-05-2019, 07:43 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,490 Likes on 908 Posts

Originally Posted by Stuart S
Thanks, and I stand corrected ... if you're right. The reasons for my doubt is because you're in New Zealand and I'm in the USA. Jaguar has different specs for different world markets, and X150 models built for North America, Europe, and Japan are different from each other. Many X150 models make it to NZ from Japan.

I am unaware of any XKR produced for the North American market with a vinyl interior. If a Forum member has or knows of one, speak up! And yes, the easy way to tell is if the seats are NOT perforated. Even if the dealer build sheets offered vinyl for the XKR, I doubt that anyone would have checked that box. It's inconsistent with the upscale XKR. But I guess it's possible, albeit unlikely.

Bottom line for this thread is that discussing vinyl is irrelevant. The OP wanted advice on maintaining leather. Nevertheless, it's an interesting point.

Cheers!
The US brochure (published 07/07) for the 2008 XKR only lists leather seat surfaces, steering wheel and gear knob as standard. To get the leather instrument panel you had to order the luxury package. I can't comment on whether everyone chose the luxury package but it is therefore possible that XKR's with vinyl covered dashes are out there in the US.

The following users liked this post:
Stuart S (09-05-2019)