XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

DB9 vs XKR

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2016, 10:09 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,383 Likes on 1,609 Posts

Originally Posted by mosesbotbol
I don't buy German cars hence none on my list. I use to be into German cars. We had a Mercedes 500 SEC for twenty years. I have a different sentiment towards German cars now (than when I was younger) and decided about 10 years ago I don't want to own one if at all possible. British cars are heavy favorite. Never been into American cars and Japanese cars are lukewarm at best.

The only German car that would make my list would be a G wagon Mercedes.
I too could never own a German car, out of principle and persona.
If you like the troopwagen/ G Wagan, it may be worthwhile to wait for the new Defender. I sold my defender for more than I paid for it. They have a cult following. It too will be classic.

Old 04-24-2016, 10:44 PM
Banned
Received 238 Likes on 180 Posts

I've been in a G63, not sure I've ever been so unimpressed with any car (sounded like a mustang GT, not at all comfortable, was much more impressed with the most recent ML), thought it rivaled the Hummer H2 in uselessness at least it was really expensive! And Q&C, with regard to LR you do realize they've been consistently at or next to the bottom of most every customer satisfaction survey right? Older Defenders are coveted but are nothing like their newer cars by a long shot. Drive a Discovery for a while hated that thing in every way. They look lovely if you're into SUV's but for the last many years have been plagued with serious QC issues which affect ownership as well as resale.

Old 04-24-2016, 10:58 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Leeper
I've been in a G63, not sure I've ever been so unimpressed with any car (sounded like a mustang GT, not at all comfortable, was much more impressed with the most recent ML), thought it rivaled the Hummer H2 in uselessness at least it was really expensive! And Q&C, with regard to LR you do realize they've been consistently at or next to the bottom of most every customer satisfaction survey right? Older Defenders are coveted but are nothing like their newer cars by a long shot. Drive a Discovery for a while hated that thing in every way. They look lovely if you're into SUV's but for the last many years have been plagued with serious QC issues which affect ownership as well as resale.
I did not know. Although the sort of people I now see driving range rovers, look like they only have the patience for a toyota landcruiser, where nothing fails, nor excites.

Old 04-24-2016, 11:20 PM
Banned

LR reviews -
Here?s Why Land Rover Doesn?t Care About JD Power Ratings

2016 Land Rover Range Rover Reliability | U.S. News Best Cars

https://www.consumeraffairs.com/auto...and_rover.html

Dunno about exciting being a key word... I know I'd get pretty excited if my $80K+ car failed more often than it should!

Old 04-25-2016, 06:00 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,202 Likes on 933 Posts

Originally Posted by Queen and Country
I too could never own a German car, out of principle and persona.
If you like the troopwagen/ G Wagan, it may be worthwhile to wait for the new Defender. I sold my defender for more than I paid for it. They have a cult following. It too will be classic.
Basically my reasons too...

We had a Range Rover for a few years and she'd really like another one, but the new body style (full size) is still out of our price range. Maybe it will be when we are ready? I would love to be in that car, but did not list it due to price. Same with J Pace; will be too expensive. A Defender would be awesome, but I don't think they will come here any time soon and the 90 & 110's are pretty pricey for what you get in the US.

XJ or XE would be the easiest for to own (unless Volvo throws us a sweetheart deal to keep leasing from them). I look forward to the point we need to secure something as this time we don't have a trade-in to contend with.

Old 04-25-2016, 08:08 AM
Veteran Member

have they done away with the tax break that RR used to qualify for?
Its only money, priceless if you can still ignite passions with it. There will come a time when no car will be good enough or matter. Ironically an enjoyable car now will further postpone that. Would you believe banks are actually offering 3% loans on a used car. So in my case, I make about 2% on it. Factor that with about 20k off a demo. Zero maintenance for 4 years and you are not far from target.

Frankly, more than the Jaguars, Range Rovers have truly come of age. Never before did they have it all, like now.

Old 04-25-2016, 08:58 AM
Veteran Member

Frankly, more than the Jaguars, Range Rovers have truly come of age. Never before did they have it all, like now.
They can't build them fast enough and they holding the value like no other British car of recent I can think of.

Old 04-25-2016, 09:38 AM
Veteran Member

They can't build them fast enough and they holding the value like no other British car of recent I can think of.
Its the most sought after category at the moment- all car makers have switched to it, from Bentley to Volvo. You would have the undisputed Rolls Royce of the category, the original that the world is trying to emulate. There is some gratification in that.

One of my most favorite moments on film. Right at the 30 second mark.

The following users liked this post:
Datsports (07-30-2016)
Old 04-25-2016, 10:05 AM
Veteran Member

Its the most sought after category at the moment- all car makers have switched to it, from Bentley to Volvo. You would have the undisputed Rolls Royce of the category, the original that the world is trying to emulate. There is some gratification in that.

One of my most favorite moments on film. Right at the 30 second mark.

Top Gear - 14x07 - BMW X6 Off Road Test - YouTube
That was our old Range Rover right there. Was good car, but had a bunch of upcoming service due and it wasn't worth the money on it vs. just getting a new car at that point. I figured about 3K in servicing it needed (I like the car in top shape) and for what we were paying on the car it just wasn't worth it. We had a pre-Tata one with the lousy BMW V8. Never owned a car that "warmed up" so quick. I may've felt different if I had the Jag V8 engine version.

Old 04-25-2016, 10:47 AM
Veteran Member

Its precisely the point, the old patriarch could take on challengers many generation his junior.

You liked them when they were barely getting by. Imagine what they can do given the purse and mandate to be the best in the world at all costs.

The new aluminum structure is no joke. And unlike Jaguar and even Aston, they have not capitulated one bit from British appointments.

Old 04-25-2016, 12:38 PM
Banned

Would you believe banks are actually offering 3% loans on a used car

Q&C - I was able to get 1.89% loan on my 2007 XK last December from Mission Federal credit Union and I am not a vet nor federal employee, anyone with great credit can get that loan. Again no affiliation just a VERY happy customer now first time I've used a credit union. I paid cash for the car but when I saw I could get money for 1.89% it was silly not to finance it.

Old 04-25-2016, 12:49 PM
Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Q&C - I was able to get 1.89% loan on my 2007 XK last December from Mission Federal credit Union and I am not a vet nor federal employee, anyone with great credit can get that loan. Again no affiliation just a VERY happy customer now first time I've used a credit union. I paid cash for the car but when I saw I could get money for 1.89% it was silly not to finance it.
PenFed is at 1.99% used. I refi'd my BoA (thru the dealer) loan on the XK (which was at 2.7%) to the 2% PenFed one within a couple months. I did pay a $75 BoA early loan termination fee.

Old 04-25-2016, 01:05 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Slee_Stack
PenFed is at 1.99% used. I refi'd my BoA (thru the dealer) loan on the XK (which was at 2.7%) to the 2% PenFed one within a couple months. I did pay a $75 BoA early loan termination fee.
Crazy isnt it.
Used car rates lower than mortgage. Makes you wanna borrow money on your collection to pay off the house.

Old 04-25-2016, 01:33 PM
Veteran Member

Go get a 2015 xkr and really stick it to them!!

Old 04-25-2016, 09:04 PM
Veteran Member
Received 633 Likes on 410 Posts

Bentley Arnage or Flying Spur - 1st choice. She does not like the back of Arnage, but I think that is the cooler of two.
If you get these you will have to hire a driver. It just doesn't look right when you drive yourself in those cars! Everyone will think you're the driver out picking up groceries

Old 04-28-2016, 07:05 PM
Veteran Member
Received 54 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by tberg
Just my opinion but I prefer the XKR side profile slightly more than the DB 9, those famous Jaguar "hips" at the rear are a little rounder, a little more sensual than the Aston's, and the roofline over the rear windows is smoother. However, if you flip back and forth between the two's profiles, they are barely distinguishable. Front ends are a toss up, and I could live with either. I like the cleaner tailliight treatment of the Aston, but dislike the exhaust pipes and cutouts, they look cheap. Horsepower is the same between the V-12 and the V-8, and while the interior of the Aston has a little more panache, I don't like the pop-up screen which cheapens the look, is destined to break, and is just not my cup of tea. The exhaust sound, however, is incredible and ranks right up there with Maserati's and my '72Pantera as the best I've ever heard. Having said that, for a couple of thousand dollars (and maybe less) you could have custom exhaust made for the XKR that would match the sound without having to plunk down twice as much as a comparable XKR. And the XKR actually performs better than the Aston.

Now having said all that, I find the Vantage to be one of the most beautiful automotive shapes I have ever seen. I was parked next to a pristine black one, yesterday, and I couldn't stop staring. It's simply gorgeous.

Service and parts are another story....

Joining this thread late....tberg, my thoughts....almost exactly...Definitely agree with the Jaguar hips...I like the hips on my car and on my women....as they say in the Navy..."HIPS AHOY!!!!" I think both cars are insanely gorgeous....can't go wrong with either....then there's that V12 growl...but the V8 is fantastic as well....especially with a Spires exhaust system....which I'm about to get..LOL...IMHO, all things being equal, I'd go Jag..for the reliability, the performance which, if I'm not mistaken, the Jag has the edge...The thought of a manual is enticing though...The AM has the nicer interior barring the $5 pop up screen...man does that look cheap...an Armani suit with payless shoes....doesn't make sense. If I were considering what to drive next...the AM would be at the top of the list...simply because it looks like an XKR....I guess that says it all!

tberg (04-28-2016)
Old 04-28-2016, 10:07 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,367 Likes on 1,482 Posts

Originally Posted by bklynchris
The AM has the nicer interior barring the $5 pop up screen...man does that look cheap...an Armani suit with payless shoes....doesn't make sense.
I suspect it to be a design choice for those who want to keep the car classic and without a modern video screen. Unlike the Jag, the Aston nav screen is dedicated for that purpose. I do not mind it one bit and in fact like the idea that it can be hidden. It is well known the XK touch screen is slow and clunky, I'd much prefer knobs and dials. Many X100 owners feel the same way about nav v. gauges.

Last edited by jahummer; 04-28-2016 at 11:09 PM. Reason: typos
Old 04-28-2016, 10:49 PM
Veteran Member
Received 54 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by jahummer
I suspect that to be a design choice for those who want to keep the car classic and without a modern video screen. Unlike the Jag, the Aston nav screen is dedicated for that purpose. I do not mind it one bit and in fact like the idea that it can be hidden. It is well known the XK touch screen is slow and clunky, I'd much prefer knobs and dials. Many X100 owners fest the same way about nav v. gauges.
I guess its just a matter of preference.....

Old 04-28-2016, 11:04 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,576 Likes on 1,419 Posts

As jahummer, I much, much, much, prefer knobs for the radio and HVAC controls, like I have in my X100. It's just so much simpler; you want a particular radio station, you just press a button. You want to turn off your a/c at the end of the day, one press of a button will do it. Instead, in our X150's, you have to get to the home screen, scroll to the function, find the station or the command you want and then press it, an utter waste of time and effort for something that can be done by touch without having to take your eyes off the road to look at the screen.

jahummer (04-28-2016)
Old 04-29-2016, 12:41 AM
Veteran Member

They did it to save real estate while providing extra functionality. thats why the aston looks bad. You can operate the radio and ac without having the screen on. but yes its not straightforward

Quick Reply: DB9 vs XKR