XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

DB9 vs XKR

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2016, 06:38 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,202 Likes on 933 Posts

I like the clean look of the XK with large NAV screen. That being said, Jaguar missed a lot of opportunity to make the NAV something cool.

The following 2 users liked this post by mosesbotbol:
Barry Leftwich (07-24-2021), Cee Jay (04-29-2016)
Old 04-29-2016, 11:59 AM
Veteran Member
Received 5,360 Likes on 3,174 Posts

Originally Posted by mosesbotbol
I like the clean look of the XK with large NAV screen. That being said, Jaguar missed a lot of opportunity to make the NAV something cool.
Agreed. My wife's former Lexus RX400 had I think five Hard Buttons below the screen for instant access to sub-menus. Instead of scrolling and numerous soft touches, the info and options were much easier to retrieve.

Old 04-29-2016, 12:02 PM
Veteran Member
Received 85 Likes on 83 Posts

I am unsure the Aston Martin is more money to maintain than a xkr, it does not use more gas anyway and for the rapide i was told it is very reliable, i have a problem the warranty is looking at it, but honestly I do not think they are more expensive than the xkr.
I think xkr jag says 11 liters combined and when you accelerate a bit your are easy at 14-15-16 liters, while the AM says 12 combined and you re really there at 12 if you push it 14-15- it does not use more gas than the xkr, i think the numbers given by AM are more realistic than those given by jaguar. I spent easily 4 k euros on the jag for maintenance, tires oil change small stuff, settings, reprogramming, brakes etc..
when you accelerate either with the 4.2 or 5 liter xkr, and you sudenly release the accelerator, the nose goes up and down like real hard. this does not happen with the aston, suspension are much firmer, you can preset sport mode as default and lowering the suspension works very good too, honestly the aston after 100 miles an hour and you can really make the difference, the aston has less fast acceleration ( legal speed use) but over 100 miles and it handles much better than the xkr, speed you rarely use indeed due to the laws...
if you have an aston in the head it is tuff to forget it. I red and believe the rapide is much better than a db9, for a 2010 year the rapide has more options also led lights, it seems much more modern than a db9. you will find a 10 rapide around 60-65 k soon in the us. On a freeway I will do 700 km witha full tank if I do not accelerate, i did accelerated and i drove 600km easy.

Last edited by jagxk2008; 04-29-2016 at 02:19 PM.
Old 04-29-2016, 02:45 PM
Veteran Member

Rapide is high on the list too, albeit on the high end. If I got rid of the Lotus it would be realistic, but then there would be no Lotus... I can't get enough of that Rapide; was at the dealer last week and they have two used ones, a regular and an early delivery S.

Old 04-30-2016, 11:02 AM
Veteran Member
Received 85 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by mosesbotbol
Rapide is high on the list too, albeit on the high end. If I got rid of the Lotus it would be realistic, but then there would be no Lotus... I can't get enough of that Rapide; was at the dealer last week and they have two used ones, a regular and an early delivery S.
if you look how the rear passengers doors are set up how strong is everything, its amazing and it last much better than the jag, example my mats at 30k km on the jag were almost folded, bad old. here they are like new so damn thick, its never been seen,indeed i cant even removed them they are screw under the seats and are like 1 inch thick, carpet underneath same.
its like the xkr more firm but for 4 people, in the rear they can enjoy it, and it is something you can share better than a 2 seater.
the wheels are monstruous, so large so deep, but tires are cheaper than the xkr? its incredible and images does not give justice, when i look at this car parked in the street from front or rear its impressionning the curbs are so much better than in the xkr.

I hope to have it fixed soon so i can enjoy and I will go to saint tropez.

Old 06-15-2016, 02:07 PM
Veteran Member
Received 261 Likes on 183 Posts

I traded my 2010 XKR for a 2009 DBS.

I loved the 2010 XKR. The DBS was magnificent. It exceeded the performance of the 2010 XKR significantly. I know the torque of the XKR is listed as higher, but the DBS pulled much harder than the XKR. The throttle response was much better as well.

My particular DBS had a true stickshift and clutch. I loved every minute in it. I now know how some people feel when they get a lot of public attention. I had somebody taking my picture or even videoing me going down the road EVERY DAY. People walked up to me at the gas station EVERY TIME I stopped to fill up (which was often!) It cost me about $2800 a month to drive the DBS...it was my daily driver.

I made a decision to trade it for a number of reasons.

So, I don't want to offend/hurt anyone's feelings, because I LOVE Jaguars just like everyone here. But they DO NOT compare to an Aston Martin. They just do not. The sound of my DBS was orgasmic, the interior EXCEEDED my expectations (and that is difficult to do), the shape is exquisite...just too much to like. But, they ARE expensive to own and drive.

I let my wife talk me into trying an A8. I am now in Audi hell. The car just melts into the background and looks like everything else on the road. She loves her A8L, but I am strongly considering going back to Jag.

The following 4 users liked this post by rscultho:
jahummer (06-15-2016), Lothar52 (06-16-2016), ralphwg (06-17-2016), steve_k_xk (06-17-2016)
Old 06-15-2016, 08:36 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,367 Likes on 1,482 Posts
Unhappy

You got rid of the DB9 for an Audi? I may have looked the other way if it was an R8...

Regardless, thank you for the long overdue report on moving from the Jag to the Aston. It is a shame Ford and perhaps even Jaguar sought to cut so many corners on fit, finish & materials.

Old 06-15-2016, 08:37 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,367 Likes on 1,482 Posts

Originally Posted by rscultho
It cost me about $2800 a month to drive the DBS...
How if you do not mind my asking?

Old 06-15-2016, 10:07 PM
Veteran Member
Received 633 Likes on 410 Posts

I loved the 2010 XKR. The DBS was magnificent.
The MSRP for a DBS was around $260,000? I would expect it to exceed an XKR in most ways.

I agree, when I see an Aston it is an eye catcher. If I didn't care how much I would have to spend that would be in my garage.

The following users liked this post:
Lothar52 (06-16-2016)
Old 06-15-2016, 10:53 PM
Veteran Member
Received 6,285 Likes on 3,449 Posts

... I let my wife talk me into trying an A8. I am now in Audi hell. The car just melts into the background and looks like everything else on the road. She loves her A8L, but I am strongly considering going back to Jag.
Rodney,

I considered an A8L and drove several, but when I drove a Jaguar XJ I was hooked. Sure, the Audi has more gizmos, but I don't need Quattro and the Jag was more comfortable. If you haven't already driven one, I suggest you do so. My only issue is that I can't decide which I like better - my XKR or XJ! Details in my signature

Stuart

jahummer (06-15-2016)
Old 06-16-2016, 05:47 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,548 Likes on 895 Posts

Do you buy a 911 and ever ask yourself gezz i wish I had a Cayman

Does one buy a DB9 and ask themselves the same question gezz i wish i had a Jaguar ...I highly doubt

I believe we buy the Jaguar as it offers similar comfort, refinement and performance that rivals the DB9 without the ridiculous price tag of the Aston.

Old 06-16-2016, 06:34 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by steve_k_xk
Do you buy a 911 and ever ask yourself gezz i wish I had a Cayman

Does one buy a DB9 and ask themselves the same question gezz i wish i had a Jaguar ...I highly doubt

I believe we buy the Jaguar as it offers similar comfort, refinement and performance that rivals the DB9 without the ridiculous price tag of the Aston.
This nails it. I think most of us would be in a DB9 if they were similarly priced and similar cost to own.

We saw a DB9 convertible parked in Montreal last weekend and my better half said she could get behind owning one. Enough room for the dog in back and appears to have some trunk space. If we go for a used car, my list is down to DB9, GranTurismo, or Arnage. Now I have to drive each one as I'll most likely search nationally when it comes time. I'll give the local Aston dealer plenty of notice to find one before I start in earnest. I'd like to do business locally, but since we won't have a trade-in; that opens the playing field some. If we go new, I like the Jaguar XE, perhaps another Volvo, or even F-Pace (all being leased).

steve_k_xk (06-17-2016)
Old 06-16-2016, 08:31 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,839 Likes on 1,233 Posts

After selling my last toy I was considering an AM . Back then looking at my price range I would be able to get something in the 2007-2008 MY . After considering service and parts cost along with where the closest dealer was I turned back to Jaguar. If cost wasn't in the mix there would be no doubt that I would have gone for an AM but it just wasn't justifiable . So the price range I was in had me in a 2012 XKR sweet spot and that's the path I chose .

steve_k_xk (06-17-2016)
Old 06-16-2016, 09:23 AM
Received 38 Likes on 33 Posts

I considered the AM Vantage V8 but could not see the value versus the XKR

steve_k_xk (06-17-2016)
Old 06-16-2016, 06:54 PM
Veteran Member
Received 370 Likes on 249 Posts

I loved the 2010 XKR. The DBS was magnificent. It exceeded the performance of the 2010 XKR significantly. I know the torque of the XKR is listed as higher, but the DBS pulled much harder than the XKR. The throttle response was much better as well.

My particular DBS had a true stickshift and clutch. I loved every minute in it. I now know how some people feel when they get a lot of public attention. I had somebody taking my picture or even videoing me going down the road EVERY DAY. People walked up to me at the gas station EVERY TIME I stopped to fill up (which was often!) It cost me about $2800 a month to drive the DBS...it was my daily driver.

So, I don't want to offend/hurt anyone's feelings, because I LOVE Jaguars just like everyone here. But they DO NOT compare to an Aston Martin. They just do not. The sound of my DBS was orgasmic, the interior EXCEEDED my expectations (and that is difficult to do), the shape is exquisite...just too much to like. But, they ARE expensive to own and drive.

I let my wife talk me into trying an A8. I am now in Audi hell. The car just melts into the background and looks like everything else on the road. She loves her A8L, but I am strongly considering going back to Jag.

Get a Low miles XKR-S. Drop the back box off and get a Spires Stage 2 rear box. Dude I did this and its UNREAL. Much louder than you can even imagine and burbles and pops like a F-type but in a less automated way (sound more natural). You wont regret it. TRUST ME....

Ngarara (06-17-2016)
Old 06-17-2016, 06:02 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,548 Likes on 895 Posts

"The db9 performance exceeded the xkr significancy" I cant see this even remotely possible when the fastest times I could find listed for the DB9 were

DB9 - 12.9 @112mph & 13.2 @110.25mph

Whilst the 5.0 xkr

XKR- 12.6 @115mph

It might feel faster but the numbers dont lie... it just might be the particular way the V12 delivers its power that makes it feel quicker

Old 06-17-2016, 07:30 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,839 Likes on 1,233 Posts

Interesting sighting last night. As I was coming home from my golf league coming down the road was an AM. It was BRG with a black convert top. Couldn't get the model as it was a surprise and we were both traveling over 50 mph. I did see a middle age woman driving and flashed the lights which she returned. It was an out of state Conn. car.

Old 06-17-2016, 09:04 AM
Veteran Member

I started looking at some XKR's today... Who knows, maybe another XK!

Old 06-17-2016, 01:47 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,290 Likes on 889 Posts

What's up with the Lotus, or just feeling like a change?

Old 06-17-2016, 03:19 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by BruceTheQuail
What's up with the Lotus, or just feeling like a change?
Keeping the Lotus. This is to replace our S60 Volvo when the lease expires. If I were to replace the Lotus, it would be for the Evora 400 or a newer Aston. Our used car budget is low 50's. Looking to get something on the bottom of the depreciation curve...

steve_k_xk (06-17-2016)

Quick Reply: DB9 vs XKR