XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

DB9 vs XKR

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2016, 09:31 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,202 Likes on 933 Posts

Originally Posted by michaelodonnell123
Jaguar did the NAV screen spot on in my opinion, it has just what it needs and none of the nonsense that others include. Keep is simple is my motto.
I wish they had telemetry display in the NAV screen, along with cool screen savers. The layout of the NAV is fine. 3D maps and all that is just over kill. I just want simple map and directions; more like the rental car NAV's!

Old 08-01-2016, 11:52 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,975 Likes on 1,326 Posts

Originally Posted by mosesbotbol
I wish they had telemetry display in the NAV screen, along with cool screen savers. The layout of the NAV is fine. 3D maps and all that is just over kill. I just want simple map and directions; more like the rental car NAV's!
+1

Also wish the screen had a higher contrast level, its a total washout in the sun (did this get improved on the later model years?).

Old 08-02-2016, 12:12 PM
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I havent owned both but swapped the jag for one last year with a friend to answer the question in my head...

the short story is... (IMHO)

Jag - more exciting in an Adrenalin type way (noise, power etc), felt more of a rare icon than an in your face prestige.

Aston -very thrilling to drive with its noisy NA v12 lacked guts when loaded up with weight and drew more comments about prestige/ earning too much etc... than the jag did. felt like there was less room inside (I'm 6 foot 5!)

Conclusion... I loved both, was more comfortable with the jag and liked the subtle side more. Id never be likely to have the Db9 as I went out in a DBS and fell in love with it (which I cant afford to own/ run) but other than that its an amazing car! both equally fun/ beautiful/ inspiring in different ways

Old 08-02-2016, 01:08 PM
Veteran Member

The Gran Turismo I drove just did not compare to the Evora in handling, sound or sense of occasion. Actually, I think the XK/XKR is probably a better all around car. I like the looks of the Maserati better, but in just about any other facet, the XK is better.

Not sure where I will go. The Rapide was fantastic, but that could cost me a lot to keep in top shape.

Old 08-02-2016, 04:31 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,548 Likes on 895 Posts

The Gran Turismo I drove just did not compare to the Evora in handling, sound or sense of occasion. Actually, I think the XK/XKR is probably a better all around car. I like the looks of the Maserati better, but in just about any other facet, the XK is better.

Not sure where I will go. The Rapide was fantastic, but that could cost me a lot to keep in top shape.
You mentioned sound in regards to maserati not sounding as nice as the evora im slightly confused with that ?

One is a beautiful sounding high revving v8 the other is a Toyota sourced v6

Now don't get me wrong i think the 3.5 is an absolutely brilliant motor and always believed the supercharged variety should have found a home in the earlier is200 but in regards to sounding better to the italian motor sorry i will have to disagree

Old 08-02-2016, 08:49 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by steve_k_xk
You mentioned sound in regards to maserati not sounding as nice as the evora im slightly confused with that ?

One is a beautiful sounding high revving v8 the other is a Toyota sourced v6

Now don't get me wrong i think the 3.5 is an absolutely brilliant motor and always believed the supercharged variety should have found a home in the earlier is200 but in regards to sounding better to the italian motor sorry i will have to disagree
Come for a ride and then say it... Evora revs nearly if not as equally high as the Maserati. Whatever Lotus did to the engine, you'd only want to buy a Toyota after that! Granted I have a Larini sports exhaust and decat. You really feel the engine in the Evora. Not as much sound deadening and the mid engine. The induction noise for LHD drive cars can be ear piercing on full throttle... Inside the car, I wouldn't give much to Maserati over the XKR in sound. I know modified, the Maserati can sound off the charts. After the looks and cool wheels/brakes there's wasn't many cards left to deal on the Maserati. I buy on looks first, so that still means something for the Maser. Handling felt far behind the Evora or Rapide. I never felt the XK was a great handler; it was so stiffly sprung it could get unwieldy on uneven pavement. I wish it had the Evora suspension; much more compliant.

Old 08-02-2016, 08:52 PM
Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

I see that many people lean both ways when trying to decide between the DB9 and XKR. But what about when compared to the new DB11 with 600 HP? That certainly will offer a lot of exhilaration. My XKR comes off lease next year and the DB11 is what I would consider. Any opinions? DB11 or XKR?

Old 08-03-2016, 03:33 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,548 Likes on 895 Posts

Come for a ride and then say it... Evora revs nearly if not as equally high as the Maserati. Whatever Lotus did to the engine, you'd only want to buy a Toyota after that! Granted I have a Larini sports exhaust and decat. You really feel the engine in the Evora. Not as much sound deadening and the mid engine. The induction noise for LHD drive cars can be ear piercing on full throttle... Inside the car, I wouldn't give much to Maserati over the XKR in sound. I know modified, the Maserati can sound off the charts. After the looks and cool wheels/brakes there's wasn't many cards left to deal on the Maserati. I buy on looks first, so that still means something for the Maser. Handling felt far behind the Evora or Rapide. I never felt the XK was a great handler; it was so stiffly sprung it could get unwieldy on uneven pavement. I wish it had the Evora suspension; much more compliant.
I remember looking at an Evora a few years back it had all the supercar looks for a decent price plus a 2+2 configuration this car was thrown in the mix with 911 and also maserati

Would love to hear the Larini exhaust !!

Moses Im Gobsmacked the Evora does sound very very nice It sure loves to rev !!
It has a lot of similarities to the legendary NSX

Last edited by steve_k_xk; 08-03-2016 at 03:38 AM.
Old 08-03-2016, 05:33 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by rfr66
My XKR comes off lease next year and the DB11 is what I would consider. Any opinions? DB11 or XKR?
DB11 dips into the Mercedes parts bin instead of the Volvo parts bin. I would go for the DB11 although the are priced quite differently. DB11 is new everything vs. a decade old platform. What about a new DB11 vs. used Vanquish?

Old 08-03-2016, 07:40 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,839 Likes on 1,233 Posts

Originally Posted by steve_k_xk
I remember looking at an Evora a few years back it had all the supercar looks for a decent price plus a 2+2 configuration this car was thrown in the mix with 911 and also maserati

Would love to hear the Larini exhaust !!

2016 Lotus Evora 400 3.5 V6 Supercharged LOUD! SPORT Exhaust Sound - YouTube

Moses Im Gobsmacked the Evora does sound very very nice It sure loves to rev !!
It has a lot of similarities to the legendary NSX
Sorry but sounds like a 6 banger to me and even a little like the fart-can ricers we hear around here. Having been involved with the vintage racer crowd and having heard all of the various 4 and 6 bangers there is nothing like the big V8 sound to me. Even some of the V12's don't have it in my book. I recall when the NSX came out and it was/is a cool looking style but as soon as you started it up it wasn't as impressive as lets say a 427 Cobra. I enjoy open exhausts for racing but not for cruising the country side. Just my opinion.

Old 08-03-2016, 07:56 AM

DB11 dips into the Mercedes parts bin instead of the Volvo parts bin. I would go for the DB11 although the are priced quite differently. DB11 is new everything vs. a decade old platform. What about a new DB11 vs. used Vanquish?
Well you have a good point about it being all new. I would lease it new while it is under warranty so any problems will be the dealers problems. If there are too many issues I can always invoke ye olde lemon law so I feel pretty safe there. Regarding a used Vanquish, I only want a convertible and I am very selective about colors and options so I may not find one configured the way I like. I also would want the newer electronics and interior that the new DB11 offers. If the XKR were still made I would just get that but I want a similar looking beautiful and sexy car. Do you think the DB11 is better looking than the DB9 or XKR or just a different direction?

Old 08-03-2016, 08:08 AM

Originally Posted by jagtoes
Sorry but sounds like a 6 banger to me and even a little like the fart-can ricers we hear around here. Having been involved with the vintage racer crowd and having heard all of the various 4 and 6 bangers there is nothing like the big V8 sound to me. Even some of the V12's don't have it in my book. I recall when the NSX came out and it was/is a cool looking style but as soon as you started it up it wasn't as impressive as lets say a 427 Cobra. I enjoy open exhausts for racing but not for cruising the country side. Just my opinion.
I agree with you. Maybe a nice sounding 6 cylinder but doesn't give me the tingles like a big 8. Even the 12 in the DB9 didn't have that nice throatiness of the 8.

Old 08-03-2016, 09:34 AM
Veteran Member

Do you think the DB11 is better looking than the DB9 or XKR or just a different direction?
I would have to see the DB11 in person. Is it out yet? My local dealer has beautiful new Vanquish convertible they are quite anxious to move. One of a kind colors. They also have a convertible Vantage V12S. Aston offers an extended warranty for $4500 a year that you may want to consider if going used. The Vanquish is just a stunner; on my lottery list for sure! DB9 GT almost looks like a Vanquish to me; something you may want to look at as well.

DB11 looks to be a great evolution of a theme and I think it'll be better looking in person. As beautiful the as the XKR is, they didn't evolve it much IMO. The front & rear did not get developed much. There's so much more going on in the rear undertray area on the Aston. Plastic rear valance between mufflers just does not cut in on the XK. Looks like the accountants had their way on that one. It would've been great if the XK went to a flat bottom. For sure, the Jaguar will be easier to own and service.

Something to think about is whether you want to own/lease a car that has been fully developed and in its final iteration like the DB9 or be the first on something new like DB11? Kind of like a late model 4.2 XKR or a 5.0 XK? Similar HP, but one is the final the other the beginning...

The following users liked this post:
tampamark (08-04-2016)
Old 08-03-2016, 09:42 AM
Veteran Member
Received 633 Likes on 410 Posts

I see that many people lean both ways when trying to decide between the DB9 and XKR. But what about when compared to the new DB11 with 600 HP? That certainly will offer a lot of exhilaration. My XKR comes off lease next year and the DB11 is what I would consider. Any opinions? DB11 or XKR?
Most of the time when folks on here are comparing the XKR with other models they are looking at value propositions. They are looking at an AM DB9 or DBS because the depreciation has made them half the cost of new. Still more than a like-year XKR of course, both depreciating to half the cost in 3 or 4 years still means a higher price of entry for the AM. So to find an AM that compares in price to an XKR they go even further back in the AM model year to equalize the price.

Comparing new-to-new the DB11 is nearly twice as much as an XKR, so my expectation is that it will be a beautiful, very fast car with a lot of cachet that a $200k+ price tag will impart. I think it looks great but would like to see it in person, I felt the previous DB9/DBS was simply beautiful, that is what I am used to so changing my taste takes some time.

The following 2 users liked this post by tampamark:
mosesbotbol (08-03-2016), sharx8 (08-07-2016)
Old 08-03-2016, 10:41 PM

I would have to see the DB11 in person. Is it out yet? My local dealer has beautiful new Vanquish convertible they are quite anxious to move. One of a kind colors. They also have a convertible Vantage V12S. Aston offers an extended warranty for $4500 a year that you may want to consider if going used. The Vanquish is just a stunner; on my lottery list for sure! DB9 GT almost looks like a Vanquish to me; something you may want to look at as well.

DB11 looks to be a great evolution of a theme and I think it'll be better looking in person. As beautiful the as the XKR is, they didn't evolve it much IMO. The front & rear did not get developed much. There's so much more going on in the rear undertray area on the Aston. Plastic rear valance between mufflers just does not cut in on the XK. Looks like the accountants had their way on that one. It would've been great if the XK went to a flat bottom. For sure, the Jaguar will be easier to own and service.

Something to think about is whether you want to own/lease a car that has been fully developed and in its final iteration like the DB9 or be the first on something new like DB11? Kind of like a late model 4.2 XKR or a 5.0 XK? Similar HP, but one is the final the other the beginning...
The dealer website says they are taking orders for the DB11 now. Delivery later in the year. A new Vanquish will be coming soon too.
The xk series seems to have devolved with each generation instead of evolve. The E type is the most beautiful car in the history of the automobile. The X100 is reminiscent of it with the long, sleek, low hood but not quite as sexy. The X150 goes even further in the wrong direction and is bulkier and less sleek still. At least Aston seems to make each generation sleeker and sexy than the previous one.

Last edited by rfr66; 08-03-2016 at 10:44 PM.
Old 08-03-2016, 11:06 PM

Originally Posted by tampamark
Most of the time when folks on here are comparing the XKR with other models they are looking at value propositions. They are looking at an AM DB9 or DBS because the depreciation has made them half the cost of new. Still more than a like-year XKR of course, both depreciating to half the cost in 3 or 4 years still means a higher price of entry for the AM. So to find an AM that compares in price to an XKR they go even further back in the AM model year to equalize the price.

Comparing new-to-new the DB11 is nearly twice as much as an XKR, so my expectation is that it will be a beautiful, very fast car with a lot of cachet that a $200k+ price tag will impart. I think it looks great but would like to see it in person, I felt the previous DB9/DBS was simply beautiful, that is what I am used to so changing my taste takes some time.
I was taking price and reliability out of the equation and focusing on appearance and performance. There is peace of mind with a 3 year unlimited miles warranty. Like you said their existing cars are already beautiful so we will have to wait and see.

Old 08-04-2016, 06:57 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,839 Likes on 1,233 Posts

I pretty much agree with this. I know when I was looking a few years ago I had a budget of $75K. I considered and looked at a few AM's but had to go further back in years to hit my price range. Also after doing a little searching the dealers in my area were further then a jag dealer and parts and service prices were in a different world from Jag. So I focused on the latest XKR I could find in my range and with the lowest mileage I could find. Got it and am now happy even though it took 6 months.

The following 2 users liked this post by jagtoes:
sharx8 (08-07-2016), tampamark (08-04-2016)
Old 08-04-2016, 12:56 PM
Veteran Member
Received 633 Likes on 410 Posts

I was taking price and reliability out of the equation and focusing on appearance and performance. There is peace of mind with a 3 year unlimited miles warranty. Like you said their existing cars are already beautiful so we will have to wait and see.
Gotcha, taking the "common man" considerations out make it a simple decision. Does it look up to your standard and perform better or same as the XKR.

Old 08-04-2016, 03:07 PM
Veteran Member

Detailing and washing the car is as much a part of the experience for me as driving the car and that is where I feel the Aston shines over the Jag or Maserati. There's just a little more to nicety of Aston that I hope make those weekly countless hours just that nicer.

Old 08-04-2016, 09:41 PM

Gotcha, taking the "common man" considerations out make it a simple decision. Does it look up to your standard and perform better or same as the XKR.
I test drove a brand new DB9 last year. They took it right off the showroom floor. Although I did feel pretty special in it I had some concerns. First thing I noticed was the display screen was unviewable in sunlight. Not just direct sunlight, any sunlight. The sun was in front and I couldn't read the screen. This was the convertible and the roof was down. Salesman said it is what it is. Next I went to accelerate the car from a rolling start and what happened next shocked me. The tires didnt just start slipping but the whole back of the car started moving sideways. It was very unnerving. Salesman said you have to let the tires warm up first then it wont do that. This was a hot summer day. What happens in the fall. My Xkr never did that maybe a little wheel spin at most. The reverse tach is a little strange too. The seat switches are on the right side and can get bumped by your leg. I parked next to my XKR at the end and compared visually. There was a lot to like about the DB9 but overall I like the look of the XKR better and I think the salesman did too. I attached some zip files of the DB9 on the showroom floor that I drove and outside side by side with my XKR for comparison. Performance was similar but AM was a bit squirrely. The interior was very nice but had its oddities. Which is what brings me to wait for the DB11 to compare.

Attached Files
File Type: zip
am.zip (2.88 MB, 33 views)
am2.zip (3.82 MB, 25 views)
am3.zip (3.44 MB, 28 views)

Last edited by rfr66; 08-04-2016 at 09:45 PM.

Quick Reply: DB9 vs XKR