XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

DB9 vs XKR

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2016, 10:56 PM
Veteran Member
Received 633 Likes on 410 Posts

Wow, that DB9 interior is spectacular, I love it! For me the lines of the AM is a step above the X150 line. For those that feel the X150 body is better I understand, I own one also. That is a weird position for the seat switches. I am sure the throttle/spin issue would be gone once you became acclimated to the way the car drives, but I am like you and think that is a bit unusual. After all in modern cars with the traction control nannies moderating wheel spin is standard. If you get an AM you will be my hero, I think I will have to have one at some point in my life. I am conservative to the extreme, gotta...have...more...fun.

XKR, Aston Martin, is there really a wrong answer there? Ah, First World problems, deciding what magnificently designed metal with which to surround ourselves.

Old 08-05-2016, 12:09 AM
Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by tampamark
Wow, that DB9 interior is spectacular, I love it! For me the lines of the AM is a step above the X150 line. For those that feel the X150 body is better I understand, I own one also. That is a weird position for the seat switches. I am sure the throttle/spin issue would be gone once you became acclimated to the way the car drives, but I am like you and think that is a bit unusual. After all in modern cars with the traction control nannies moderating wheel spin is standard. If you get an AM you will be my hero, I think I will have to have one at some point in my life. I am conservative to the extreme, gotta...have...more...fun.

XKR, Aston Martin, is there really a wrong answer there? Ah, First World problems, deciding what magnificently designed metal with which to surround ourselves.
You're right that the AM has better lines. That's because the first thing you will notice standing next to it is that it is much lower than the X150. I dont mean the suspension but the whole body was cut down. Lower translates to sleeker and hence sexy. It's why the x100 also looks sleeker because it is lower than the x150. But I like the XKR grill better. I think its friendlier. I also like the Jag hood vents better too. I dont like the front side fins on the AM. It makes it look like a bottom feeder. Nor the side running boards. The Jag has much cleaner lines without all the little add ons that AM uses. But the AM interior wins hands down. Makes you feel very special sitting inside. And the seats are extremely comfortable. They hold you so perfectly you don't want to get out.

Old 08-05-2016, 05:03 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,548 Likes on 895 Posts

Originally Posted by Leeper
Aston -
In my book, aside from the Ferrari 488, the most sexy looking car out there bar none! Absolutely to finest display of both aggressive looks, flowing lines, and perfect curves. As proud and attracted as I am to my XK vert it simply doesn't hold a candle to the Aston. Similar... yes, the same or close... no not to a distinguishing eye.

Though it's beauty is hard to look away from my criteria in purchasing a vehicle is never purely skin deep (same goes for the ladies I've dated). My car must have a reputation of low maintenance (that would eliminate the Aston right there). I need to know that when I go into the mountains, across the desert, or out late at night that it will function flawlessly. That would eliminate Ferrari's, Astons, Lambo's. etc even if I had that bankroll... it is not based upon the fact that I cannot afford such cars but rather on my principle of getting things that work and work well with the least amount of problems.

Second would be both my ability to work on said vehicle (I've always done all my own maintenance) AND parts being readily available - that would also exclude the Aston. so very few dealers, with that would come the question of the proficiency of the mechanics and how likely they are to resolve issues that aren't going to be all that common. Having a $100K> car sitting in their garage while they try to figure out how to fix it wouldn't make my day.

Exclusivity isn't always a good thing rather it is a double-edged sword cutting both ways. The cost of parts goes way up, the cost of repairs goes way up, the number of places and people who can work on the car goes way down, little to no aftermarket support, etc.

In the end in most cases you are paying often times double the cost of a X150 but getting roughly the same performance, nicer sound, a slightly prettier body, more cylinders (don't forget as you double the number of cylinders you square the likelihood of issues and certainly the expense when tuning or repairing), the numbers just wouldn't make sense to me. Right now the price-points on the X150 are amazing, the price point on Aston's most people just base on "what is was new versus what it is now" rather than "what am I getting for said $$$ versus what else is out there comparatively". Of course that is a logical approach to an emotional decision. YMMV

I couldn't have said it any better totally with Leeper on this one

Old 08-05-2016, 06:27 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,202 Likes on 933 Posts

XK has a substantial look to it compared to the Vantage or DB9 as the XK is larger in scale. At British Car Day, those who don't know one car from the other came up to my first over the DB9 and Vantage I was parked next to. It could've been the Seafrost Green Metallic which really pops compared to most colors.

Old 08-05-2016, 07:41 AM
Veteran Member

From that particular angle the Cat wins hands down

Attached Images  
The following users liked this post:
Barry Leftwich (07-24-2021)
Old 08-05-2016, 05:34 PM
Veteran Member

Not entirely taken with the new design DB11 design the side profile reminds me of the SVX

Attached Thumbnails DB9 vs XKR-aston-martin-db11-cinnabar-orange-158.jpg   DB9 vs XKR-subaru-svx-6-655x436.jpg  
Old 08-05-2016, 11:53 PM

Originally Posted by mosesbotbol
XK has a substantial look to it compared to the Vantage or DB9 as the XK is larger in scale. At British Car Day, those who don't know one car from the other came up to my first over the DB9 and Vantage I was parked next to. It could've been the Seafrost Green Metallic which really pops compared to most colors.

I have had people mistake my car for an AM as well. I think they came up to yours first because it has a timeless design.

Old 08-06-2016, 01:47 AM
Veteran Member

I had AM vantage owner mistake mine for a db9

Old 08-06-2016, 11:44 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,202 Likes on 933 Posts

Originally Posted by rfr66
I have had people mistake my car for an AM as well. I think they came up to yours first because it has a timeless design.
The XK also dwarfs the Vantage and DB9

Old 08-06-2016, 10:28 PM

This is a new review of the DB11. Watch the video and see some beautiful shots of the car on the road. Then read below for the history of AM. They say it is far more engaging to drive than the DB9. After watching I think the car has a beautiful modern look. What do you think?

https://www.cnet.com/roadshow/auto/2...n-martin-db11/

Old 08-06-2016, 11:01 PM
Veteran Member
Received 6,285 Likes on 3,449 Posts
Default Twins - XKR and DB9

2 pics from my 2011 thread: https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...xkr-db9-60537/ The DB9 has a Mansory body kit (yuk!)

Very similar designs, however, overall I prefer the X150 styling except for the headlamp covers. The DB9 headlamps flow smoother and are better integrated into the fender.

Old 08-06-2016, 11:34 PM
Veteran Member
Received 6,285 Likes on 3,449 Posts

Originally Posted by rfr66
... I don't like the front side fins on the AM. It makes it look like a bottom feeder...
Sorry, but the AM doesn't come close. The 5.0L XKR has the face of a catfish, which is a bottom feeder, with the same wide set eyes, nostrils, droopy mustache, and oval mouth.

rodycam (05-23-2017)
Old 08-07-2016, 02:06 AM

Originally Posted by Stuart S
Sorry, but the AM doesn't come close. The 5.0L XKR has the face of a catfish, which is a bottom feeder, with the same wide set eyes, nostrils, droopy mustache, and oval mouth.

Very good comparison the XKRS looks exactly like that which is why I despise it. This thread says it all.
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...orgeous-61701/

Old 08-07-2016, 11:23 AM
Veteran Member

To the "our Jaguar looks better or similar to the Aston crowd" hinging on comparing to the AM....

Everyday in car forums there is someone with a lower car trying to say theirs looks just as good as the higher car class. Just human nature. I love when folks pin their pride on the fact that someone mistook their X150 vehicle for an AM at some event.

I just ran a casual search, took all of 1 minute, before I found this thread from the Scion FR-S forum where they are using the same "my car looks just like and is just as good as a F-Type Jag". And of course there is an entry where a guy says that his car was mistaken for an F-Type nearby.

FT86 vs Jaguar F-type - Scion FR-S Forum | Subaru BRZ Forum | Toyota 86 GT 86 Forum | AS1 Forum - FT86CLUB

Old 08-07-2016, 11:35 AM

To the "our Jaguar looks better or similar to the Aston crowd" hinging on comparing to the AM....

Everyday in car forums there is someone with a lower car trying to say theirs looks just as good as the higher car class. Just human nature. I love when folks pin their pride on the fact that someone mistook their X150 vehicle for an AM at some event.

I just ran a casual search, took all of 1 minute, before I found this thread from the Scion FR-S forum where they are using the same "my car looks just like and is just as good as a F-Type Jag". And of course there is an entry where a guy says that his car was mistaken for an F-Type nearby.

FT86 vs Jaguar F-type - Scion FR-S Forum | Subaru BRZ Forum | Toyota 86 GT 86 Forum | AS1 Forum - FT86CLUB
So the moral of the story is if we owned a DB9 we wouldn't be saying that someone thought it looked like an X150?

Old 08-07-2016, 12:04 PM
Banned
Received 238 Likes on 180 Posts

So the moral of the story is if we owned a DB9 we wouldn't be saying that someone thought it looked like an X150?

That's a rather rhetorical question. Not many people would be happy spending money on something then admitting it looks like something at 1/2 or 2/3rds the price. I doubt many Boxster owners want to say their car looks like an MR2.

Old 08-07-2016, 12:27 PM
Veteran Member

Ha, the moral of the story is what we would feel if someone with a lower car compared it to your current X150. You wouldn't care one bit, you would be secure that your car is way better, higher quality, and with more cachet that owning a higher end car brings.

Sure, there are other cars that have similarities, 4 wheels, two doors, a dash, steering wheel, probably similar HP or performance characteristics. The fact that you can mistake a higher end car for one 1/2 or 1/3 it's price I don't think bothers anyone. In the end when you have the higher end car that trumps all!

Does a Boxster owner care that some yahoo might mistake an MR2 for their car? No. Or have regrets for buying it when the MR2 looks vaguely similar? No. Does the MR2 owner sit there and try and pump themselves up by saying "my car looks just as good as the Boxster" and therefore trying and think they have the cachet that having the Porsche would bring? Yes. Does it work? No.

Does an F-Type owner care that in a movie theater parking lot someone mistook an Scion FRS for his Jag? Pretty sure that is a no.

Does the X150 owner who says "my car looks as good or the same as the AM" mean that it is as high end of a brand? No. Does the XKR perform at par with an AM? Yes. Does it also have 4 wheels, a dash, steering wheel? Yes.

So in the end the point is that this goes on all day everyday through all cars, people trying to compare to the next status level car.

Old 08-07-2016, 02:10 PM

Ha, the moral of the story is what we would feel if someone with a lower car compared it to your current X150. You wouldn't care one bit, you would be secure that your car is way better, higher quality, and with more cachet that owning a higher end car brings.

Sure, there are other cars that have similarities, 4 wheels, two doors, a dash, steering wheel, probably similar HP or performance characteristics. The fact that you can mistake a higher end car for one 1/2 or 1/3 it's price I don't think bothers anyone. In the end when you have the higher end car that trumps all!

Does a Boxster owner care that some yahoo might mistake an MR2 for their car? No. Or have regrets for buying it when the MR2 looks vaguely similar? No. Does the MR2 owner sit there and try and pump themselves up by saying "my car looks just as good as the Boxster" and therefore trying and think they have the cachet that having the Porsche would bring? Yes. Does it work? No.

Does an F-Type owner care that in a movie theater parking lot someone mistook an Scion FRS for his Jag? Pretty sure that is a no.

Does the X150 owner who says "my car looks as good or the same as the AM" mean that it is as high end of a brand? No. Does the XKR perform at par with an AM? Yes. Does it also have 4 wheels, a dash, steering wheel? Yes.

So in the end the point is that this goes on all day everyday through all cars, people trying to compare to the next status level car.
You are spot on with all your points. There is one more I would like to touch on.

Yes, the Boxster owner wouldn't care that the MR2 owner may think their car looks like his or that his has some similarities with the MR2. But what if people regularly came up to him and said "Hey, nice MR2".

The X100 was said to have similarities to the Miata from the side. If people kept coming up to me saying "Nice Miata", I wouldn't be overly thrilled.

To have people think my car not just resembles an AM but is an AM? I would be happier if they recognized it as a Jaguar even though it is a lower end car. It is more important to me that the car has its own unique identity that is recognizable.

If an AM owner kept having people say "Nice Jag", after awhile he would be like "What the f..."

Cee Jay (08-07-2016)
Old 08-07-2016, 02:11 PM
Banned
Received 238 Likes on 180 Posts

Ha, the moral of the story is what we would feel if someone with a lower car compared it to your current X150. You wouldn't care one bit, you would be secure that your car is way better, higher quality, and with more cachet that owning a higher end car brings. I don't care what anyone thinks, feels, or says about me, what I buy, etc learned that lesson a LONG time ago. Any person can walk up to me and say "you're car is stupid, ugly, ridiculous, silly, etc" and it would have absolutely ZERO affect on my day. I didn't buy it for others or their approval. As long as my car doesn't get vandalized I'm happy and I don't solicit approval or disapproval's.

Does a Boxster owner care that some yahoo might mistake an MR2 for their car? No. That's where you and I differ, I truly believe that MANY do seriously care what others think about what they do, what they buy, and the fact that they plunked down a large amount of money they want that to bring them some level of respect Or have regrets for buying it when the MR2 looks vaguely similar? No. Does the MR2 owner sit there and try and pump themselves up by saying "my car looks just as good as the Boxster" and therefore trying and think they have the cachet that having the Porsche would bring? Yes. Does it work? No. Have you not seen an owner of a Ferrari wearing a Ferrai T-shirt, watch, and a Ferrari jacket prancing around? The other day I saw a Lambo owner, all 5'3" of him, get out of his new car at Best Buy wearing his bright Lambo jacket... I really felt sorry for him that he felt like his personal self-worth was predicated upon what he owned but to each his own. I was not even remotely jealous of his car just felt sorry that he had to parade himself like that. Did he wear those so he could be associated with his spending a ton of $$ on his car... highly likely. Would he care that his car could be compared to another lesser expensive car, my guess is resoundingly yes. Anecdotal... yup but it happens a lot and a growing percentage each day with this new generation of young adults.

Does an F-Type owner care that in a movie theater parking lot someone mistook an Scion FRS for his Jag? Pretty sure that is a no. Again we disagree, I would venture to say that sadly the answer is YES far more than it should be.

Does the X150 owner who says "my car looks as good or the same as the AM" mean that it is as high end of a brand? No. Would that mean that he is trying to put himself into the same spending category and level of exclusivity? yes or there wold be no reason for him to bring it up in the first place Does the XKR perform at par with an AM? Yes. Does it also have 4 wheels, a dash, steering wheel? Yes. agreed

So in the end the point is that this goes on all day everyday through all cars, people trying to compare to the next higher status level car.

When words like "Panache", "exclusivity", "higher end", "cachet" are used that is to play across the heart strings of those hoping to "keep up with the Joneses", and that is a HUGE business. Its a self-justification with intent to "sell" the listening party unless it was a question asked by the other person. It's not about the quality of leather it's about the fact that most either don't have the means or chose not to spend this much on their car but either way many gloat in that especially true with the newer generations (this is the reason Hummer H2's were so hot for a couple years). Nothing wrong with that unless the person is not honest about their motives.

The desire to compare ones cars, or otherwise, is almost always only an "uphill comparison" and mostly done with the justifications as to why ones choices are superior in some way (ex - My XKR is like an AM, costs less but has the same performance...). The very definition of "Cachet" when you used it confirms what I've said here. I owned a couple Boxsters, loved them, and had more than one person call it a "beginners Porsche", or a "Porsche with panties", never phased me a bit it just showed their ignorance, their opinions were not solicited nor did their statements illicit any response from me. If/when I get compliments on my Jag I simply say "thank you" the same would hold true if someone disapproved in some way

Old 08-07-2016, 02:44 PM
Veteran Member

That is funny, my first foray into decent cars was with a Boxster which I enjoyed but would never own again. So I am all to familiar how people with lesser cars tried to break me down by using those terms, "Beginner Porsche", "Porsche with panties". The reason it didn't upset me is because it was pretty true. I wasn't willing to step up the 911 which is what I really wanted. It was a fairly underpowered car. Performed great, but still for my 2000 with 200hp it was a beginner Porsche. My good friends would bust my ***** for fun (which I gave them grief back), some folks at the gym that I was acquainted which was OK, and the occasional person who was just an *******. The last category would at times almost cause me to want to throw hands but I always realized they were just being small minded and didn't rise to the bait. Getting in a fight over name calling of my car, how stupid would I be. Luckily this never happened while under the influence of whiskey or the outcome may have been different.

OK, we agree and disagree on many points, no worries! We all have our thoughts on this and it is what it is, just speculation. We can't possible know the mindset of every owner out there.

I try to think in broad terms. I know that there are extremes for every owner, the Lambo/Ferrari/Jag/BMW owner who wears swag with those brands emblazoned for all to see. I find that silly. Or the folks who allow themselves to be upset when there are other cars that can be mistaken for theirs. I really stick to the vast majority, and for the 75,000 Boxster owners over the last 10 years I can't imagine they really give a crap if some MR2 owner tries to roll up on them and say they are in the same league. I really doubt that the owner would feel the MR2 owner got over on them.

With that said I think we are both right, there are those who care and those that don't.

Quick Reply: DB9 vs XKR