XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

DB9 vs XKR

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2016, 03:08 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,551 Likes on 895 Posts

Ppl mistake jags for db9 due to the simple fact they look the same.

We aren't promoting ourselves up the pecking order when someone mistakes our car for an AM , im sure we are all proud to be owners of jaguars on this forum well at least i am !

Attached Thumbnails DB9 vs XKR-jagstin.0.jpg   DB9 vs XKR-cars_side.2.jpg  

Last edited by steve_k_xk; 08-08-2016 at 03:12 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by steve_k_xk:
Ngarara (08-08-2016), Ozmag (08-08-2016), ralphwg (08-08-2016)
Old 08-08-2016, 04:39 AM
Received 38 Likes on 33 Posts

Agree with Steve, the cars look similar designed by the same guy! I'm happy to have a car that looks brilliant and performs as well as something costing double the money!

No jealousy or desire from me about AM, I'm a Jag fan!

Old 08-08-2016, 06:40 AM
Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by steve_k_xk
Ppl mistake jags for db9 due to the simple fact they look the same.

We aren't promoting ourselves up the pecking order when someone mistakes our car for an AM , im sure we are all proud to be owners of jaguars on this forum well at least i am !
It's interesting to see the the side by side comparison. The DB9 has a lower body with high windows and the X150 has a higher body with low windows.

Old 08-08-2016, 11:13 AM
Veteran Member
Received 633 Likes on 410 Posts

I love my Jag very much also, it is a great car. As far as similarities, I will throw one more in the mix but won't tell what model it is....do we feel the car in read is similar?

Old 08-08-2016, 11:24 AM
Received 335 Likes on 201 Posts

Toyota FRS. In person it really doesn't resemble the xk at all.

Old 08-08-2016, 02:37 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by michaelodonnell123
Toyota FRS. In person it really doesn't resemble the xk at all.
Thank You! That is the point I wanted to make, I think the same about the Aston. While pictures from the side on the computer look similar in person I find it very evident they are quite different. Despite what the uninitiated may say at some random stop or car gathering thinking an XK is an AM.

OK, this is beat down enough, I love my XK and think it is a beautiful car. I think the AM is even more so. I understand the comparisons and don't agree one bit but certainly everyone is entitled to their opinion so in the end it is all good!!!

Old 08-08-2016, 03:34 PM
Banned
Received 238 Likes on 180 Posts

I could see some non-car people think the X150 and AM look very similar (it should due to the designer) and like Tampa Mark I LOVE my XK but I also think the AM is a more beautiful design regardless of costs either way... wish my XK had AM rear lights glad my XK does not have the backwards tach, lesser reliability, higher initial costs, higher maintenance costs, along with a few other gripes. All good, got my car and quite happy with it

Old 08-08-2016, 03:56 PM
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

I think the XK/XKRs stand alone, does not matter to me if they have some similaritys to the DB9s, there a jaguar XKR. Grace, Pace and not much space, but i love em
As a side note, the DB9 i used to drive back in 2004 had so many electrical problems, it eventualy hated going anywere in it . So far so good with my XK, fingers crossed

Last edited by Fspider; 08-08-2016 at 03:58 PM.
Old 08-08-2016, 04:41 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,551 Likes on 895 Posts

Originally Posted by Leeper
I could see some non-car people think the X150 and AM look very similar (it should due to the designer) and like Tampa Mark I LOVE my XK but I also think the AM is a more beautiful design regardless of costs either way... wish my XK had AM rear lights glad my XK does not have the backwards tach, lesser reliability, higher initial costs, higher maintenance costs, along with a few other gripes. All good, got my car and quite happy with it
I quite like the rear end of the jaguar if anything id trade the front end in for the AM i think they really nail it

Old 08-08-2016, 08:46 PM
Veteran Member

glad my XK does not have the backwards tach, lesser reliability, higher initial costs, higher maintenance costs, along with a few other gripes.
This is what keeps me out of the Ferrari world also. But then I get irritated with myself for being so practical.

Old 08-08-2016, 09:21 PM
Banned
Received 238 Likes on 180 Posts

Same here - my #1 criteria for cars, women, electronics is low maintenance/great reliability which is almost impossible in the first two especially here in CA. Ferrari's would not be on my list despite believing they are the sexiest cars on the road hands-down IMO.

Old 08-08-2016, 09:41 PM
Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

If it was the other way around and the AM had amazing reliability and the Jaguar didn't, I would dump the Jag in a second for the AM regardless of its higher cost.

Old 08-09-2016, 09:10 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,579 Likes on 1,419 Posts

Just my 2 cents, however, when I've purchased cars in the past including both of my XKRs, I have done so without comparing them to something else that might look similar. I've picked the car on its merits and not thought about anything else. In the case of Jag vs. Aston, I think the Vantage's body is amongst the best designs ever on an automobile, perfect proportions, perfect execution, great details. As for the bigger, more expensive Astons, I don't like them as much and certainly no more than the XKR. And this has nothing to do with how much they cost, it's just personal preference on aesthetics.

The following users liked this post:
ralphwg (08-12-2016)
Old 08-09-2016, 10:31 AM
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by tampamark
This is what keeps me out of the Ferrari world also. But then I get irritated with myself for being so practical.
There not as bad as you may think. I have owned 3, my current one for 12 years, last month i did a 3200 mile road trip across europe as i do every year. Not one glitch or problem.
Servicing isnt as bad as the legends make out, especially if your handy with a spanner. And thats from an owner of one of the most high maintenance bitches

Last edited by Fspider; 08-09-2016 at 10:34 AM.
Old 08-10-2016, 08:29 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,202 Likes on 933 Posts

I might back in a Jaguar. Found a nice looking '13 white XKR coupe that may just fit the bill for us.

Barry Leftwich (07-23-2021)
Old 08-11-2016, 04:29 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,383 Likes on 1,609 Posts

Ian Callum's first love was a Jaguar, madly so, he did not incorporate any of the Aston Martin features/formula into the Jaguar, rather bless the Aston with all the features of a Jaguar; except the front grille, which is the only thing it actually owns.

However, the creator in all his wisdom was not simply going to put all the best features of this true love into a stepchild, he would never have sold another XKR- he did not give it the sacred Jaguar formula or Space, Grace AND Pace, nor the incredible aluminum monocouqe. Thus an all-rounder.

Most importantly he allowed Aston to be the ultra-exotic privilage of the very few. The Jaguar on the other hand stuck to its roots as closely as possible in being the attainable Rolls that outperformed most sports cars.

Lets be realistic, the 2010 AM DBS was $300K (including Gas Guzzler Tax that the 2010 XKR was exempt from) The Jaguar was $100k. For the exact same horsepower, 510. Better gas mileage, more luxurious on the inside, better low-end power and unlike the DBS, a grand tourer.

So its not apples to apples, the AM is better in some regards, if you are going to pay 3x more.

Last edited by Queen and Country; 08-11-2016 at 04:36 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Queen and Country:
Barry Leftwich (07-23-2021), rfr66 (08-11-2016)
Old 08-11-2016, 11:57 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,383 Likes on 1,609 Posts

Another significant distinction is that the XKR is a 'Heritage Buy'. A Camaro from the 60's that folks now happily pay $100k and above is a heritage buy, they not buying it because it is better engineered than the new Camaro at half the price, or it looks better, its because it has a heritage and memory they are attached to. No one buys a current Aston because they had one as a kid or their dad owned one, or it has any resemblance to the DB5 which was merely a legend amoungst moviegoers and not car lovers.

In fact, the Bond folks wanted a Jaguar and were denied it, they settled for a DB5

The E-Type was sought by folks who could have any car they wanted, even other car manufacturers.

I bought my XKR because of its heritage and in my minds eye, its the Etype I always longed for- i.e. one that starts and creature comforts. Every time I get in it I think about what the generation that adored the E-Type would have given to have a car like this, its beyond their wildest imagination in every regard. Back then if you got beauty and performance, you knew you were purchasing it by trading reliability. Still somewhat true of many exotics, not the XKR.

rfr66 (08-13-2016)
Old 08-12-2016, 03:02 AM
Received 43 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Queen and Country

Lets be realistic, the 2010 AM DBS was $300K (including Gas Guzzler Tax that the 2010 XKR was exempt from) The Jaguar was $100k. For the exact same horsepower, 510. Better gas mileage, more luxurious on the inside, better low-end power and unlike the DBS, a grand tourer.

So its not apples to apples, the AM is better in some regards, if you are going to pay 3x more.
I had and have both - for me it would be any day the DBS over the XKR or XK-RS - it is hard to get the power of the XKR or XK-RS on the road where the DBS has no problem at all with that....

mosesbotbol (08-12-2016)
Old 08-12-2016, 07:29 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,839 Likes on 1,233 Posts

Originally Posted by Queen and Country
Another significant distinction is that the XKR is a 'Heritage Buy'. A Camaro from the 60's that folks now happily pay $100k and above is a heritage buy, they not buying it because it is better engineered than the new Camaro at half the price, or it looks better, its because it has a heritage and memory they are attached to. No one buys a current Aston because they had one as a kid or their dad owned one, or it has any resemblance to the DB5 which was merely a legend amoungst moviegoers and not car lovers.

In fact, the Bond folks wanted a Jaguar and were denied it, they settled for a DB5

The E-Type was sought by folks who could have any car they wanted, even other car manufacturers.

I bought my XKR because of its heritage and in my minds eye, its the Etype I always longed for- i.e. one that starts and creature comforts. Every time I get in it I think about what the generation that adored the E-Type would have given to have a car like this, its beyond their wildest imagination in every regard. Back then if you got beauty and performance, you knew you were purchasing it by trading reliability. Still somewhat true of many exotics, not the XKR.
My 1966 E coupe was a fun car to drive and wasn't to bad on maintenance. They are in 2 different worlds and my XKR gives me the creature comforts of today along with 510 HP. No comparison to the 265 HP back in the E-Type. It's fun looking back but more fun looking ahead.

Old 08-12-2016, 08:00 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by XXXAngelXXX
I had and have both - for me it would be any day the DBS over the XKR or XK-RS - it is hard to get the power of the XKR or XK-RS on the road where the DBS has no problem at all with that....
This is interesting, in another thread a guy said that he test drove an AM and said the opposite. I rate your opinion as an owner of both cars much higher as opposed to a judgement from 20 minutes behind the wheel. I figured that it should be chalked up to differences in throttle and traction control.

Quick Reply: DB9 vs XKR