XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

DB9 vs XKR

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2016, 08:43 AM
Received 43 Likes on 23 Posts

Cannot tell you why but the ar*** of the XK-RS feels lighter than the DBS

And to be honest the DBS looks fantastic only the XK-RS can reach this a bit - anyway love the XK-RS too :P - when you are a petrolhead you have to love both of them

Old 08-12-2016, 10:14 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,202 Likes on 933 Posts

A new Alfa dealership is moving down the road from my house. I am going to test drive a 4c in a couple of weeks. It would at least be new. I drive like 3K miles a year, so maybe a "toy" would be fine?

The white XKR is really nice, but having already owned an XK, it's not thrilling me as much as it should. Never owned two of the same car before. I know they aren't "the same", but you know what I mean.

Old 08-12-2016, 10:21 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,209 Likes on 915 Posts

the 2010+ XKR is a far different car under the skin than an 07-09 XK. Having owned both I can attest to that.

Old 08-12-2016, 11:59 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,548 Likes on 895 Posts

Originally Posted by mosesbotbol
A new Alfa dealership is moving down the road from my house. I am going to test drive a 4c in a couple of weeks. It would at least be new. I drive like 3K miles a year, so maybe a "toy" would be fine?

The white XKR is really nice, but having already owned an XK, it's not thrilling me as much as it should. Never owned two of the same car before. I know they aren't "the same", but you know what I mean.
Moses i saw one the other day i was surprised for a 4cyl it sounded very raw i was quite impressed and visually it looked absolutely stunning

Old 08-13-2016, 01:51 AM
Old 08-13-2016, 09:45 AM
Veteran Member
Received 633 Likes on 410 Posts

The Alfa is such a different car than the X150. If you are in that market it is a whole different set of competitors. Boxster, F-Type, Lotus. The small, light, fast go-cart style car. You might as well throw the Vette in as an indirect competitor, simply because it is American and not exotic. If it was it would be direct.

Old 08-13-2016, 07:31 PM
Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by XXXAngelXXX
I had and have both - for me it would be any day the DBS over the XKR or XK-RS - it is hard to get the power of the XKR or XK-RS on the road where the DBS has no problem at all with that....
The brand of tire greatly effects the ability of the xkr to hook up. With the wrong tire you will be spinning rubber. I switched tires and now I can floor it with the traction control completely turned off and the tires do not break free.

Old 08-13-2016, 08:19 PM

I went to the AM dealer today. I signed up for a greet and drive of the DB11 in September. This a car that the factory is making available ahead of the scheduled inventory cars in October. I looked at their current inventory of DB9, Vanquish, DBS and Vantage which was extensive. It was hard to tell them apart. I had to keep looking at the rear name plate to confirm the model. After half an hour of perusing I was unable to make an emotional attachment to any of them. I was hoping to fall in love but it didn't happen. I kept looking back at my XKR which was parked amongst them and said that's the car. Even an AM in the same white color didn't do it for me. Odd thing is when I looked for the first time last year I felt more for the AM than this time. Even sitting in it didn't feel as special as the first time as if the initial infatuation was wearing off. On the way home I stopped at the brand new Lexus dealership. The salesman, who has a passion for cars, saw mine parked outside and asked if he could see it. He asked to look inside and to see the engine too. He was out there for about 15 minutes and couldn't stop admiring it. He said the car has such clean lines and is absolutely gorgeous. This is probably why the current AMs couldn't seduce me today.

The following 2 users liked this post by rfr66:
Barry Leftwich (07-24-2021), mosesbotbol (08-14-2016)
Old 08-13-2016, 08:44 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,975 Likes on 1,326 Posts

Originally Posted by rfr66
On the way home I stopped at the brand new Lexus dealership. The salesman, who has a passion for cars, saw mine parked outside and asked if he could see it. He asked to look inside and to see the engine too. He was out there for about 15 minutes and couldn't stop admiring it. He said the car has such clean lines and is absolutely gorgeous.
He was probably hoping you were going to offer it up as a trade-in...... Like that was going to happen!

Old 08-14-2016, 05:27 AM

Originally Posted by rfr66
The brand of tire greatly effects the ability of the xkr to hook up. With the wrong tire you will be spinning rubber. I switched tires and now I can floor it with the traction control completely turned off and the tires do not break free.
The tyres on the XK-RS are semi slick

Old 08-14-2016, 09:01 AM

Originally Posted by XXXAngelXXX
The tyres on the XK-RS are semi slick
I would recommend a good set of high performance summer tyres to improve your traction. I had semi slicks and they didn't work as well for me. They would need massive burnouts to practically melt the rubber to get anywhere.

Last edited by rfr66; 08-14-2016 at 09:35 AM.
Old 08-14-2016, 04:59 PM

Thanks for your advice mate - next time we change the set of 4 i will do this

Old 08-14-2016, 10:07 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,202 Likes on 933 Posts

Originally Posted by tampamark
The Alfa is such a different car than the X150. If you are in that market it is a whole different set of competitors. Boxster, F-Type, Lotus. The small, light, fast go-cart style car. You might as well throw the Vette in as an indirect competitor, simply because it is American and not exotic. If it was it would be direct.
My better half won't let me buy a Boxster or I would've. She says "only a**holes drive them". I disagree, but happy wife... I own an Evora now that I like, but having a hard time finding a local good mechanic. The local dealership is either incompetent or taking me for a ride. I'd rather have the XKR than F Type. I am not a Vette guy. Bentley Continental GT is on the list, but for my price range, the car would be nearing 10 years old. Am I setting myself up for disappointment on a car that old?

I am out of the country now, but may move forward on that XKR I saw when I return. It has very little service history, but service was included on warranty, so maybe the dealer did input the service to CarFax?

I have a few cars to test drive when I get back, but worst comes to worst, I keep the Lotus until the right car falls on my lap.

Last edited by mosesbotbol; 08-15-2016 at 03:51 AM.
Old 08-15-2016, 03:45 AM
Received 38 Likes on 33 Posts

[QUOTE=mosesbotbol;1514788]A new Alfa dealership is moving down the road from my house. I am going to test drive a 4c in a couple of weeks. It would at least be new. I drive like 3K miles a year, so maybe a "toy" would be fine?

I think they look fantastic, but I drove a mate of mine just after he got it last year and frankly hated it. Noisy, rough and just totally unsophisticated. I was pleased to hand the keys back. Getting out of the thing is definitely a trial given the width of the sills.

But each to their own

Old 08-15-2016, 04:33 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,548 Likes on 895 Posts

[QUOTE=Ozmag;1516374]
Originally Posted by mosesbotbol

I think they look fantastic, but I drove a mate of mine just after he got it last year and frankly hated it. Noisy, rough and just totally unsophisticated. I was pleased to hand the keys back. Getting out of the thing is definitely a trial given the width of the sills.

But each to their own
Sounds like my experience when i test dtove the 360 modena

Loud , bumpy , uncomfortable and minimal creature comforts believe me i was also happy to hand the keys back !

Old 08-15-2016, 07:36 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Fspider
There not as bad as you may think. I have owned 3, my current one for 12 years, last month i did a 3200 mile road trip across europe as i do every year. Not one glitch or problem.
Servicing isnt as bad as the legends make out, especially if your handy with a spanner. And thats from an owner of one of the most high maintenance bitches
I wish you lived close to me, I would take you up on the offer to help maintain the Ferrari I would buy.

Seriously, if I knew what a spanner was I would be one step closer!

A guy on another forum bought a 2003 360 F1 Spider. Beautiful car, but he ended up with $20k in repairs his first year. This after researching a meticulously maintained car with low miles. He ended up getting out of the Ferrari world to get back to Earthly maintenance costs.

Old 08-16-2016, 06:04 PM

While I was driving home from work today on the highway I saw another white XKR convertible. But when I got closer I realized it was a DB9. So similar that it had me fooled at first. From the back it is lower and has a nice road presence. I didn't mind following for awhile. Later I saw a white F-type on the road but it didnt have the same road presence.

The following users liked this post:
Barry Leftwich (07-24-2021)
Old 08-17-2016, 01:58 AM
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

I wish you lived close to me, I would take you up on the offer to help maintain the Ferrari I would buy.

Seriously, if I knew what a spanner was I would be one step closer!
Hi, yea you may know a spanner as a wrench
Yeah, i do everything to my Italians, always have. Even full engine rebuilds, the only time i pay the ferrari tax is when i have to buy the parts In fact i used to write technical how to articals about my model on a couple of ferrari forums.
The XK scares me more with all its technology, but thats why i am here

Last edited by Fspider; 08-17-2016 at 02:01 AM.
tampamark (08-17-2016)
Old 08-17-2016, 11:42 AM
Veteran Member

Ah, the magic wrench. That sounds like a great tool, I will have to try one. I typically use a hammer for all fixes so I am not going to qualify for a Ferrari!

Your F355 is beautiful and a classic. But I have no desire to become that technical in the maintenance of my cars. And I certainly do not want to spend the money for engine-out service for timing belt change, or valve guides, manifold, or the host of other diva issues that this beautiful lady requires!

Fspider (08-17-2016)
Old 08-17-2016, 12:31 PM
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Ah, the magic wrench. That sounds like a great tool, I will have to try one. I typically use a hammer for all fixes so I am not going to qualify for a Ferrari!

Your F355 is beautiful and a classic. But I have no desire to become that technical in the maintenance of my cars. And I certainly do not want to spend the money for engine-out service for timing belt change, or valve guides, manifold, or the host of other diva issues that this beautiful lady requires!
Hey you should see the hammer i use on my delicate italians
Joking aside, 99% of F355s would have had there manifolds and valve guides done years ago, and this job is only done once during the cars life. Even then the guides are only done on cars between certain years that used a bad batch.
All cars have there idiosyncrasys, i mean one of the worst cars i had 8 years ago was a 2004 DB9, now that cars electronics made me cry
However you are quite right regarding cambelts, they have to be changed between 3-5 years. But thats a simple job done with either the engine in or out. I can do mine in a weekend.
Yes the F355s are a maintenance **** that will cost the uninitiated a packet in ferrari tax.

Quick Reply: DB9 vs XKR