XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Dealer changed type of oil , anyone else

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2017, 09:01 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,383 Likes on 1,609 Posts

Originally Posted by AVMiii
This shouldn't be so difficult!
You can do something about it and become our hero.
Castrol will never sell independents this oil- thats their contract.
Motul makes this oil. They are based out of NJ. And willing work with us.

Old 05-11-2017, 09:54 AM
Veteran Member
Received 571 Likes on 386 Posts

Originally Posted by Queen and Country

Look its way too much to explain. But I can trace back through the dots of his line of thinking and warn you that he thinks you have a old-timey engine.
Agree. I had an indy (non Euro in his defense) tell me once that it's "just a ford 5 Liter". Uh... No.

Old 05-11-2017, 10:32 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by shemp
Agree. I had an indy (non Euro in his defense) tell me once that it's "just a ford 5 Liter". Uh... No.
The best mechanics and engineers I have ever used are the ones who believe the original designers know far more than them. Which is the only truth. Which is the way I am.

Never trust someone who works at McDonalds telling you he knows more about more about beef than the Chefs at the Palm.

My timing chain issue was discovered by my mechanic, I had the engine cover off and when he heard the valvetrain rattle (not easy to do inside the car where I was) he said "go to the Jaguar dealership immediately and use the exact oil they recommend". Note he is a Castrol reseller. It was very refreshing to see someone admit they cant get that castrol oil and not just recommending a substitute for their convenience at your risk (HUGE MISTAKE ON JLR's part, to not make this oil available to non-jag dealers- they are going to take years off this engine by allowing McDonald chefs to substitute the beef)

BTW. I had been using the right oil all along and knew the issue was elsewhere.

Old 05-11-2017, 10:40 AM
Veteran Member
Received 571 Likes on 386 Posts

I've been changing my own oil for 35 years and I've always used the oil weight that the manufacturer requires but I use Mobile-1 (which meets or exceeds.... until the XK...). OEM oil filters as well whenever possible. Why not. It's easy.

the XK is good until next year so if nothing changes with the oil availability, I'll just let Jag do it again.

Old 05-11-2017, 11:01 AM
Veteran Member

We have the same car and routine.

Never been obsessed with oil. Got 300,000 miles from several engines before I wanted to rebuild/replace for the sake of convenience. All while the guys doing the oil analysis and so on also only got the same mileage before they tired of the engine anyway.

Our 5l engine is a different animal. It should not even work the way they have designed the lubrication system. It was designed around a certain requirement from oil.
It remain thin and continue to clean. I have posted videos how even other more expensive oils from Castrol fail at this. Because those other engines dont have this requirement.

Old 05-11-2017, 05:19 PM
Received 70 Likes on 26 Posts

As someone stated earlier, this really shouldn't be this difficult.

The only place I've found the Castrol is on eurocarparts... or carparts4less which is the online only site for eurocarparts.

On eurocarparts it's £14.99/litre, on carparts4for less it's £9.84/litre. It's only being sold in 1 litre bottles.

Of course the eurocarparts price will be the same when they have this weekends sale on , last bank holiday it was the same price as carparts4less but no where local had 8 bottles in stock.

See site specs pasted below:
Castrol Edge Professional Engine Oil - 5W-20 - 1ltr

Castrol EDGE Professional A1 5W-20 gives you the confidence to demand maximum engine performance from the latest high performance, efficient technology engines requiring the lowest viscosity oils. Castrol EDGE Professional A1 5W-20 is co-engineered in partnership with Jaguar Land Rover for the latest generation engines. Micro-filtered and with its signature fluorescent colour it is your guarantee of Professional quality.
  • Castrol EDGE Professional A1 5W-20 is suitable for use in vehicles that require a 5W-20 lubricant that Meets;
    Ford WSS-M2C925-A
  • Ford WSS-M2C925-B
  • ACEA A1/B1,
  • API SL, ILSAC GF-3 or earlier specification

Also found it here , but at £11.50/litre - Castrol Edge Professional A1 5W20 Our Castrol - Moto-Oil Dorset and UK
And several vendors on ebay selling multipacks of 1litre bottles, all about £10/litre.

The trend I'm seeing is that castrol are not selling this spec of oil in anything other than 1 litre bottles, and its as clear as mud as differing vendors seem to have differing specs listed, some quoting the ford spec, some quoting the jag spec, some quoting both, some quoting neither.

And castrol's own website chickens out of the argument by refusing to tell you what oil is required for a 2010 XKR but tells you to refer to your dealer.

It's a conspiracy I tells ya!

Old 05-12-2017, 03:09 PM
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Mobil 1 ESP x2 0W-20 - look for the X2 version!

Mobil 1 ESP x2 0W-20 has the following OEM approvals:
Jaguar Land Rover STJLR.51.5122

Mobil 1 ESP x2 0W-20 can only be used in the vehicles for which it is approved. It is not backward compatible with older vehicle engines.

Last edited by Nosferatu; 05-12-2017 at 03:11 PM.
Old 05-21-2017, 01:27 PM
Received 70 Likes on 26 Posts

Spent this afternoon giving the cars a wash and check over. Thought I'd check the oil level on the Range Rover (5.0 S/C) and the oil display was in the middle so thought I'd see if there was any oil in the boot wheel well.

Well... there was, this....

So I'm assuming the car (which is a 2010) was delivered with the Shell Helix, but that since my service guy has replaced it with what they use, Castrol edge Professional 5-20W, which I can source in the UK, but only available in 1 litre bottles.

I little surprised when I topped the RR up that the oil is actually green! Wasn't expecting that.

What I'll do now is start stockpiling tubs of this stuff when it comes up cheap on Eurocarparts - I've got 2 of these engines to keep right!