XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Dealer quoted TPMS repair

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2024, 07:53 PM
Received 52 Likes on 19 Posts
Default Dealer quoted TPMS repair

Well, I took her into the dealer to have them do the "Technical service bulletin" on the TPMS, and give the car an all around look over as I had not ever taken it to a dealer since purchase, but after doing a full check they believe there is a short within the TPMS module itself. Quoting $1200 for parts, labor and programming. A bit steep, but the part itself from SNG is near enough to $300, and I would need someone to program it once installed, so I might be able to slice a bit off of it going elsewhere. I'm guessing best case, installed and programed, maybe $700?

I went to this dealer as they are very highly regarded and also one of the very few remaining that will work on older Jags. Additionally, they were actually cheaper to do the diagnostic then my "Indie" was charging.

I have balked at the cost and my rep said he would see if there was anything they could do to lower the cost. We will see.

So the question is how much does the constant TPMS rotating warnings bother me? Hmmmm.

Old 01-18-2024, 07:47 AM
Received 112 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by KJsJag
Well, I took her into the dealer to have them do the "Technical service bulletin" on the TPMS, and give the car an all around look over as I had not ever taken it to a dealer since purchase, but after doing a full check they believe there is a short within the TPMS module itself. Quoting $1200 for parts, labor and programming. A bit steep, but the part itself from SNG is near enough to $300, and I would need someone to program it once installed, so I might be able to slice a bit off of it going elsewhere. I'm guessing best case, installed and programed, maybe $700?

I went to this dealer as they are very highly regarded and also one of the very few remaining that will work on older Jags. Additionally, they were actually cheaper to do the diagnostic then my "Indie" was charging.

I have balked at the cost and my rep said he would see if there was anything they could do to lower the cost. We will see.

So the question is how much does the constant TPMS rotating warnings bother me? Hmmmm.
Question is: Do you really need the TPMS?
If yes , do you know you can have it cancelled from SDD ? An then you can buy a TPMS full system for a few dollars with a more modern system (wifi or BT) ?

Old 01-18-2024, 10:39 AM

Originally Posted by Tiepolo
Question is: Do you really need the TPMS?
If yes , do you know you can have it cancelled from SDD ? An then you can buy a TPMS full system for a few dollars with a more modern system (wifi or BT) ?
I definitely do not need it, but sadly it is a Felony offense in the US to disable the TPMS, so finding a mechanic that has SDD and is willing to do that may prove difficult.

Old 01-18-2024, 11:01 AM
Received 107 Likes on 51 Posts

That would suck to get caught, convicted and put in jail for that. Imagine being in jail and someone asks " what are you in here for? ..oh I disabled my TPMS on my car"

The following 2 users liked this post by racerxf12004:
BobPhx (01-19-2024), SirJohn (01-27-2024)
Old 01-20-2024, 05:16 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,219 Likes on 2,367 Posts

Originally Posted by KJsJag
I definitely do not need it, but sadly it is a Felony offense in the US to disable the TPMS, so finding a mechanic that has SDD and is willing to do that may prove difficult.
No no that's not accurate. TPMS are required to be fitted on new vehicles. What you do with it once you own the car is your business. Having said that, you need engineering mode SDD to disable TPMS. I don't know about Autel. Find yourself a mechanic. Dealership will not hep you as JLR will not grant them access to engineering mode for this purpose. Actually they probably don't even have SDD anymore and Pathfinder is their newer OEM software management tool.

The following 2 users liked this post by Sean W:
arenaej (01-20-2024), Cee Jay (01-25-2024)
Old 01-21-2024, 01:21 PM

Sean, I do not believe that is the case. Granted, if you as the owner do this to your own vehicle, perhaps. But the law is fairly clear as to mechanics etc...

(a) Definition.—
In this section, “motor vehicle repair business” means a person holding itself out to the public to repair for compensation a motor vehicle or motor vehicle equipment.

(b) Prohibition.—
A manufacturer, distributor, dealer, rental company, or motor vehicle repair business may not knowingly make inoperative any part of a device or element of design installed on or in a motor vehicle or motor vehicle equipment in compliance with an applicable motor vehicle safety standard prescribed under this chapter unless the manufacturer, distributor, dealer, rental company, or repair business reasonably believes the vehicle or equipment will not be used (except for testing or a similar purpose during maintenance or repair) when the device or element is inoperative.

Again, if you yourself do it to your own vehicle that may be ok, but if you sell said car and injury or death occurs due to that system being disabled you might be held accountable. Regardless, the law is pretty clear in terms of having a mechanic disable it for you. I believe all cars 2007 or newer are required to have TPMS.

The following 2 users liked this post by KJsJag:
kj07xk (01-22-2024), Sean W (01-21-2024)
Old 01-21-2024, 05:46 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,219 Likes on 2,367 Posts

I'll be dipped and I stand corrected. You can still find mechanics who will do it. Again dealerships cannot.

Old 01-25-2024, 10:13 AM
Veteran Member
Received 5,360 Likes on 3,174 Posts

Even if it were not 'illegal', very few shops would do it anyway because of the huge liability if anything were to happen.